Moos

Norm Peterson

3 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Here is the problem...XJ would still have to play in Miles offense and would be nowhere near as good as he is for Pitt.  And even worse, he would have transferred out after a year or would have failed to reach his full potential.

Before the season all the talk was about how this roster oozes talent.  The moment shit hits the fan it becomes the administrations fault instead of the guy who is actually in charge of the program.  We need to stop putting lipstick on a pig.  Miles did not get the job done.  I think he will go get a mid major job and probably do well.  Hopefully, we grab a coach that can field a competent offensive team and recruit some guys that can put the ball in the hole. 

Exactly. Basketball isn't very fun to watch when the team you root for can't buy a hoop. Scoring the ball is a HUGE part of the game. Nebrasketball has historically been horrendous at finding functional "basketball talent."

5 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Since you didn't bother to answer my inquiry on NU players leaving, I have no need to answer this. What is to you, Gov? Did you play college ball?

Proved my point, Gov. Can't answer simple question, then throws up a mocking gesture; You have no idea what I'm thinking.......so go away. I'll commiserate with others.

9 hours ago, jimmychitwood said:

Two numbers to explain why we are at a "plateau"....17 ppg & 4.5 apg.  Those are Xavier Johnson's numbers at Pitt this year. If this Administration really cared about basketball and didn't drag out the laughable 1 year extension after the most conference wins of all time, he could be on this roster. If they really wanted to win, give Miles a few more years  for security (we only make 52 million a year from tv now) and give Kenya whatever was necessary to keep him and Johnson here. A player of his caliber completely changes this roster.

34 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Anyone not acknowledging that Xavier Johnson being at Nebraska right now to be a key cog who likely would have altered the course of these past 6 games, IDK what to say, this whole "Nebrasketball ship" appears to be missing the boat.

Are you advocating that spending at least another $2.5M would have been worth it just to have Xavier Johnson on the roster? Would it be nice to have him on the roster? Sure. Would he make such an impact that the results over the past month would have been different? Doubtful. (You will have a hard time convincing me that Xavier Johnson would have averaged 17 ppg at Nebraska this season. He wouldn't be a starter.)

Just now, dustystehl said:

Are you advocating that spending at least another $2.5M would have been worth it just to have Xavier Johnson on the roster? Would it be nice to have him on the roster? Sure. Would he make such an impact that the results over the past month would have been different? Doubtful. (You will have a hard time convincing me that Xavier Johnson would have averaged 17 ppg at Nebraska this season. He wouldn't be a starter.)

Xavier Johnson would have most definitely been a starter over Thomas Allen. Unequivocally.

Spending $2.5M isn't the answer -- it's showing the world that our coach is here more than a year. Change the wording of the buyout to make the numbers be whatever you want. It's a 'show' to the rest of the college basketball world that Miles isn't on shaky ground. It's not that hard to comprehend that both Hunter & X would have possibly stayed if NU admin. had shown some tangible commitment in terms of "length" of contract. Seemingly every other program understands that recruiting is the life-blood of the program. Nebraska thinks it's interchangeable parts, apparently.....

8 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Proved my point, Gov. Can't answer simple question, then throws up a mocking gesture; You have no idea what I'm thinking.......so go away. I'll commiserate with others.

Lol, I didn't see your post till after I asked the question. 

It's clear that they didn't want to be a part of the program. Playing time wasn't the issue. So that falls on Miles. Whether it's style of offense, how he interacts with them or even whether they wanted to go be a part of a better program. It was Miles job to keep them here. He didn't do that.

6 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Xavier Johnson would have most definitely been a starter over Thomas Allen. Unequivocally.

Spending $2.5M isn't the answer -- it's showing the world that our coach is here more than a year. Change the wording of the buyout to make the numbers be whatever you want. It's a 'show' to the rest of the college basketball world that Miles isn't on shaky ground. It's not that hard to comprehend that both Hunter & X would have possibly stayed if NU admin. had shown some tangible commitment in terms of "length" of contract. Seemingly every other program understands that recruiting is the life-blood of the program. Nebraska thinks it's interchangeable parts, apparently.....

My question is, what has Miles done to get those extra years? If you're on the fence to keeping a coach (personally I think you just get rid of them) you don't sign them up for a long extension.

1 minute ago, TheGov21 said:

Lol, I didn't see your post till after I asked the question. 

It's clear that they didn't want to be a part of the program. Playing time wasn't the issue. So that falls on Miles. Whether it's style of offense, how he interacts with them or even whether they wanted to go be a part of a better program. It was Miles job to keep them here. He didn't do that.

My question is, what has Miles done to get those extra years? If you're on the fence to keeping a coach (personally I think you just get rid of them) you don't sign them up for a long extension.

That's fair and valid. Thank you for following up. I'm in a pissy mood after seeing Nebrasketball crash & burn.  I answered that 2nd Q in a different thread. It's a shell game, basically. I am not advocating for Miles, btw. I think his Goose is already cooked.

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

That's fair and valid. Thank you for following up. I'm in a pissy mood after seeing Nebrasketball crash & burn.  I answered that 2nd Q in a different thread. It's a shell game, basically. I am not advocating for Miles, btw. I think his Goose is already cooked.

It's ok, we are all in a pissy mood. And it's well deserved.

Just now, AuroranHusker said:

I'm not convinced Xavier would start over Allen. I think Allen is a darn good player and should be playing more than Glynn at the moment. It would be nice to have X, no question. But he wouldn't all of sudden make us 15+ points better.

Asking an administration to "commit" to someone they don't want to commit to isn't the answer, either. It could set the program even further back just as easily as it could "show that Miles isn't on shaky ground"  We are on our third AD since Miles has been here. The whole athletic department has been on shaky ground. Maybe the timing for Miles at Nebraska just wasn't right. And that's unfortunate. I think most fans WANTED it to work with Miles. But those same fans are also now realizing (based on what they've seen the past few years) that the program has likely "maxed out" under Miles.

Based on this season's results, the one-year extension is looking more and more like it was the right move for the long-term success of the Nebraska Basketball. I truly believe that.

1 minute ago, dustystehl said:

I'm not convinced Xavier would start over Allen. I think Allen is a darn good player and should be playing more than Glynn at the moment. It would be nice to have X, no question. But he wouldn't all of sudden make us 15+ points better.

Asking an administration to "commit" to someone they don't want to commit to isn't the answer, either. It could set the program even further back just as easily as it could "show that Miles isn't on shaky ground"  We are on our third AD since Miles has been here. The whole athletic department has been on shaky ground. Maybe the timing for Miles at Nebraska just wasn't right. And that's unfortunate. I think most fans WANTED it to work with Miles. But those same fans are also now realizing (based on what they've seen the past few years) that the program has likely "maxed out" under Miles.

Based on this season's results, the one-year extension is looking more and more like it was the right move for the long-term success of the Nebraska Basketball. I truly believe that.

Good summary. I think the whole contract deal is really a shell game, anyway.

I think Glynn is in some kind of funk. He's a really good dude, but he shouldn't be playing 39 minutes a night like he did last night. He also got a tech at Illinois, which was totally uncharacteristic.

20 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

Are you advocating that spending at least another $2.5M would have been worth it just to have Xavier Johnson on the roster? 

I don't know if it makes a difference but couldn't a savvy AD have added on 2 or 3 years but only increased the buyout amount by 1 year's worth of salary? Probably doesn't change things a bit but it shows me actual effort.

We had a team where we knew that there wasn't an "alpha dog" at the beginning of the season and we were working with a guy who specializes in "rebuilding leadership styles" and he got axed by the admin (this also happened to the volleyball team).  Maybe it doesn't make a lick of difference but it shows at least some effort to help the coach who identified the potential problem this year during the summer.

The point to harping on the lack of *whatever* from the administration is that it does matter, especially during the bad times, and what makes anyone think that this will all be fixed by hiring a new basketball coach?

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't know if it makes a difference but couldn't a savvy AD have added on 2 or 3 years but only increased the buyout amount by 1 year's worth of salary? Probably doesn't change things a bit but it shows me actual effort.

We had a team where we knew that there wasn't an "alpha dog" at the beginning of the season and we were working with a guy who specializes in "rebuilding leadership styles" and he got axed by the admin (this also happened to the volleyball team).  Maybe it doesn't make a lick of difference but it shows at least some effort to help the coach who identified the potential problem this year during the summer.

The point to harping on the lack of *whatever* from the administration is that it does matter, especially during the bad times, and what makes anyone think that this will all be fixed by hiring a new basketball coach?

Thanks for expounding on 'commitment,' as it were.

49 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Ehhhh. As much as I would like to agree with you. Miles doesnt have a good track record of starting freshmen over more experienced players. Not only that, TM doesnt really have a track record of impactful freshmen at all. Atleast not at Nebraska.

That leads me to believe XJ wouldnt be the same player here at Nebraska. But we will never know.

Still would be a very much needed addition to the bench if he wasnt starting.

Edited by khoock

Just now, khoock said:

Ehhhh. As much as I would like to agree with you. Miles doesnt have a good track record of starting freshmen over more experienced players. Not only that, TM doesnt really have a track record of impactful freshmen at all. Atleast not at Nebraska.

That leads me to believe XJ wouldnt be the same player here at Nebraska. But we will. Ever know.

Still would be a very much needed addition to the bench if he wasnt starting.

That's another strong opinion. I think Miles had been on record--after Xavier Johnson signed his commitment in fall--as saying X was a starter-type. But, yeah, we'll never know (sadly).

36 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I think that PBA, Hendricks, and the Haymarket/Railyard area show a commitment from the city and university to making Nebraska Basketball a better product. And I think the keys to that castle were just handed to the wrong guy. I think that the right coach/staff could really turn our program into a decent one. Unfortunately, that didn't happen with Miles.

How does Moos sell Nebraska and the position of head basketball coach?  Here are some keys, what are the others?

- Fans who will show up and get loud (note 20 game home win streak)

- Arena that is state of art, new and provides a home game advantage

- State of the art practice facility

- Boosters and fans who care (even though it is not the #1 show in town)

- Although numbers are not high, we do have high division one recruits in the region/area

- Access to private jets for recruiting and so forth

- Salary that will make you a top tier payed coach

- Assistant salary pool that will allow you to bring in talented assistants

- We may be a football school, but there are not any other competing sporting teams (for the most part) Yes there is Creighton and UNO and Lincoln Stars Hockey, but come on...

- We have good if not great academic support

- The challenge of "lack of history" can be offset by the esteem of having a statue built when you take the program to the promise land.  

1 minute ago, Huskerpapa said:

How does Moos sell Nebraska and the position of head basketball coach?  Here are some keys, what are the others?

- Fans who will show up and get loud (note 20 game home win streak)

- Arena that is state of art, new and provides a home game advantage

- State of the art practice facility

- Boosters and fans who care (even though it is not the #1 show in town)

- Although numbers are not high, we do have high division one recruits in the region/area

- Access to private jets for recruiting and so forth

- Salary that will make you a top tier payed coach

- Assistant salary pool that will allow you to bring in talented assistants

- We may be a football school, but there are not any other competing sporting teams (for the most part) Yes there is Creighton and UNO and Lincoln Stars Hockey, but come on...

- We have good if not great academic support

- The challenge of "lack of history" can be offset by the esteem of having a statue built when you take the program to the promise land.  

I'd also throw in low expectations as a caveat to your last point.

I know when we fired Doc, there was a lot of angst on this board that "no one will want to come to a program where careers go to die."  I haven't seen that opinion much yet and I am curious as to why?

We have arguably the best recruiting coach that we have had in a long time.  Couple that with one of the better home court advantages in the conference.  Even with some of the best talent that we have had in decades, Miles most likely still won't be able to get the job done.

Doesn't that concern anyone now more than ever?  

Just now, hskr4life said:

I know when we fired Doc, there was a lot of angst on this board that "no one will want to come to a program where careers go to die."  I haven't seen that opinion much yet and I am curious as to why?

We have arguably the best recruiting coach that we have had in a long time.  Couple that with one of the better home court advantages in the conference.  Even with some of the best talent that we have had in decades, Miles most likely still won't be able to get the job done.

Doesn't that concern anyone now more than ever?  

IMO, not yet.

Why?   You still have new facilities that are among the best in the country.  With the full share in the Big 10, you have the money to pay for what you are getting or even overpay for what you want to a certain extent and potentially have an admin with the willingness to do so.   Those are some big pieces, we've either never really had the combination of before.

Miles proved you can get talent in here.   He just proved that he couldn't really push the right buttons with it.   Recruiter and Coach don't have to be mutually exclusive. 

Nebraska isn't a destination job for many people.   That doesn't mean it can't attract quality candidates.   We've limited ourselves with our own self imposed restrictions limiting our pool more than anything.   We've always half-assed our approach in hoops and never gone in head first.   It's possible that fails too.   But if it does, we're in no different a position than we have always been.

Why are Kansas State and Iowa State nearly always decent in basketball?  Are they not in a comparable situation to us?  Are Ames and Manhattan better destinations than Lincoln?  Do those schools have superior facilities?  Is Bruce Weber a great coach?  Steve Prohm has proven to be a good replacement for Hoiberg.  Why can’t we find those players in Canada?  One of those two schools may win the Big XII this year.  KSU was in the Elite 8 last year.  I would feel that I had died and gone to heaven if that happened for Nebraska.  

Just now, Cazzie22 said:

Why are Kansas State and Iowa State nearly always decent in basketball?  Are they not in a comparable situation to us?  Are Ames and Manhattan better destinations than Lincoln?  Do those schools have superior facilities?  Is Bruce Weber a great coach?  Steve Prohm has proven to be a good replacement for Hoiberg.  Why can’t we find those players in Canada?  One of those two schools may win the Big XII this year.  KSU was in the Elite 8 last year.  I would feel that I had died and gone to heaven if that happened for Nebraska.   

Very good points.

And some people will say history of winning and tradition.   But the reality is....a 17-year old kid isn't going to choose a place to go play basketball for a few years based on events that occurred before he was born.   He's going to choose based on what he feels gives him the best chance of being successful and that's going to be the current coach, who may or may not have been at the school for a while.  

All the same challenges here, apply in Manhattan and Ames as well.