Moos

Norm Peterson

19 minutes ago, demone said:

I spend a lot of time on Twitter - if you search and follow the #Nebrasketball tag, there is a lot of “for” and a lot of “against”. There isn’t a lot of middle ground being taken right now. I’ve seen it on this board as well, but perhaps to a lesser degree. 

Sure things can change based on how this season ends. But as it stands now, a line has been drawn in the fan base. It doesn’t matter the reasons (attitude, behavior or lack of success). Based on what I see and read, there is a significant split today. 

I think Twitter skews.  The politics on it right now are so extreme and I can't escape from it.   So i may give it up.   Anyway, I actually talk to many, many hoops fans, in these antiquated things called verbal conversations (that used to be redundant but not anymore).   I'm not hearing much angst at all.  

9 minutes ago, HB said:

I think Twitter skews.  The politics on it right now are so extreme and I can't escape from it.   So i may give it up.   Anyway, I actually talk to many, many hoops fans, in these antiquated things called verbal conversations (that used to be redundant but not anymore).   I'm not hearing much angst at all.  

Fair enough. I don’t have the chance to converse with many fans in person so I follow as much as I can via the avenues available to me. Twitter is certainly full of the extremes on both sides, but I do think it can provide the pulse when taken in the aggregate. 

30 minutes ago, demone said:

I spend a lot of time on Twitter - if you search and follow the #Nebrasketball tag, there is a lot of “for” and a lot of “against”. There isn’t a lot of middle ground being taken right now. I’ve seen it on this board as well, but perhaps to a lesser degree. 

Sure things can change based on how this season ends. But as it stands now, a line has been drawn in the fan base. It doesn’t matter the reasons (attitude, behavior or lack of success). Based on what I see and read, there is a significant split today. 

I probably spend more time on twitter and have personally driven the use #Nebrasketball hashtag for the last 7+ years.  I can say that it's a fraction of something like #Huskers and it's lived in by the lunatic fringe, myself included.  @HB pretty much nailed it IMO and the same sort of deal goes that goes with transfers applies to head coaches: if/when you lose someone who did you replace them with?

9 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

#Nebrasketball is used by the lunatic fringe?

We have 15k people show up for games. How many of them have put out a tweet in the last year with a #Nebrasketball tag?  Perhaps I'm going a bit overboard with the phrase. By comparison try tracking something with #Huskers or #GBR tags

On 2/5/2019 at 7:58 AM, demone said:

Man, I am so frustrated with how this entire thing is playing out and it is starting to look eerily similar to how the Pelini era ended. (Apologies to all for the football analogy).

At this point, everyone is taking a side and it won’t matter what happens. If Tim is let go, there will be a significant portion of the fan base who will be very vocal in their opposition. If he stays, the other side will be just as vocal. And there is no prodigal son out there who can return home and unite everyone toward a common vision. 

The fracture is real. Solving that issue will be Moos’ biggest challenge at NU.

I agree with you on the fracture. Whether it's attributable to Miles or not depends on how the rest of the season goes. If we somehow right the ship and make the dance, there will be a lot of people that still want him gone. If we continue tanking, not so much.

That said, the thing that is very real is a fractured program. Moos, Bounds and Green have done NOTHING to unite the fan base or the program. Scott Frost wants morning practices? Done! Don't care how much work it causes faculty or how much they don't like it. Miles wants a contract that doesn't tie his hands in recruiting? Sorry, 1 year for you.

My point isn't the contract length, it's about "unity of purpose" and removing excuses. For the last 3 years of his tenure, we've done nothing to make his job easier or take away excuses. We continue to show we aren't really committed to basketball despite all the big talk by Bounds and others. In his article yesterday, Shatel said Bounds expects BIG championships and deep runs in the tournament. If that's the case, then let's see it through actions, not words.

I don't know if Miles is the right guy for the job. Evidence is mounting he isn't. My point is that until the fracture is addressed and the administration gets their head in the game and aligned behind the program and coach, we are in for Groundhog Day and that's depressing. I'm tired of administrative BS and talk, let's see a real plan for how we get it headed in the right direction and some proof (like Moos, Bounds and Green being visible at games like they are for football). Who the coach is in the future is irrelevant in this discussion unless making a change is what is going to get everyone aligned and working together to make the program successful.

4 hours ago, Buglem said:

I agree with you on the fracture. Whether it's attributable to Miles or not depends on how the rest of the season goes. If we somehow right the ship and make the dance, there will be a lot of people that still want him gone. If we continue tanking, not so much.

That said, the thing that is very real is a fractured program. Moos, Bounds and Green have done NOTHING to unite the fan base or the program. Scott Frost wants morning practices? Done! Don't care how much work it causes faculty or how much they don't like it. Miles wants a contract that doesn't tie his hands in recruiting? Sorry, 1 year for you.

My point isn't the contract length, it's about "unity of purpose" and removing excuses. For the last 3 years of his tenure, we've done nothing to make his job easier or take away excuses. We continue to show we aren't really committed to basketball despite all the big talk by Bounds and others. In his article yesterday, Shatel said Bounds expects BIG championships and deep runs in the tournament. If that's the case, then let's see it through actions, not words.

I don't know if Miles is the right guy for the job. Evidence is mounting he isn't. My point is that until the fracture is addressed and the administration gets their head in the game and aligned behind the program and coach, we are in for Groundhog Day and that's depressing. I'm tired of administrative BS and talk, let's see a real plan for how we get it headed in the right direction and some proof (like Moos, Bounds and Green being visible at games like they are for football). Who the coach is in the future is irrelevant in this discussion unless making a change is what is going to get everyone aligned and working together to make the program successful.

It's pretty clear the NU Administration doesn't believe Tim Miles is the one to lead this program on a long-term basis. I guess we'll all find out soon enough what direction they intend to lead Nebraska Basketball for the next decade, perhaps. It's obviously not likely to remain Miles by the way they've treated the basketball program in comparison to how the red carpet was laid out for Frost & Co.

Edited by AuroranHusker

Well, the red carpet was laid out for Miles when he arrived: New practice facility and a new arena. For seven years, there's been one man in charge: Miles.

Boehm, Eichorst's toupee, Moos, Green, etc. might have done more to help, but it was Miles' job to get this program somewhere higher than it is. I'm fine with supporting Miles based on what he's done, if you believe it's enough, but I just don't understand making excuses and pointing the finger at others. I just don't get that.

1 minute ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Well, the red carpet was laid out for Miles when he arrived: New practice facility and a new arena. For seven years, there's been one man in charge: Miles.

Boehm, Eichorst's toupee, Moos, Green, etc. might have done more to help, but it was Miles' job to get this program somewhere higher than it is. I'm fine with supporting Miles based on what he's done, if you believe it's enough, but I just don't understand making excuses and pointing the finger at others. I just don't get that.

I don't think Miles has too much to complain about as far as resources go. The contract debate could be had, it contriubtes to the problem, certainally not the entire problem. To sit here and say Miles didn't have the resources to succeed would be insane. Brand new arena, state of the art practice facilities, top-10 attendance, plane to recruit anyone/anywhere, asst coach pool to hire just about anyone.....we can play the blame game with the administration, but it's year 7 - and it's only one guy at Nebraskas job to win basketball games (hint: its not Moos, Eichorst, Moos, Green, Bounds, Boehm, Frost, Davison). 

5 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

we can play the blame game with the administration, but it's year 7 - and it's only one guy at Nebraskas job to win basketball games (hint: its not Moos, Eichorst, Moos, Green, Bounds, Boehm, Frost, Davison). 

I believe the answer you are looking for is Kent Pavelka...he has called over 1,000 games and we have 0 tournament wins to show for it.  His play by play calls have clearly not willed enough shots to go through the hoop.

7 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

@ me next time, you coward.

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

It's pretty clear the NU Administration doesn't believe Tim Miles is the one to lead this program on a long-term basis. I guess we'll all find out soon enough what direction they intend to lead Nebraska Basketball for the next decade, perhaps. It's obviously not likely to remain Miles by the way they've treated the basketball program in comparison to how the red carpet was laid out for Frost & Co. 

well, let's not get ahead of ourselves; ego can't get too big with basketball. NO sport at nebraska will ever be as big or as important as football, and that's how it is (and I don't beleive it should change)... it's just reality. When we conflate the team with needing the same commitment level football to basketball, I think we go too far. That's not to say we shouldn't up the standards and take the sport seriously, though, because I could see this being the clear #2 program focus, ahead of volleyball and others. There can still be much more to be done in the sport in terms of hiring, since it seems most of the peripherals and physical setup measures have been taken. No excuse to be much, much better. The transformation of the program, despite recent misery, is mindblowing. Have to keep building on the momentum, because we're at a clear plateau and may lose it all if we're not careful.

37 minutes ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

well, let's not get ahead of ourselves; ego can't get too big with basketball. NO sport at nebraska will ever be as big or as important as football, and that's how it is (and I don't beleive it should change)... it's just reality. When we conflate the team with needing the same commitment level football to basketball, I think we go too far. That's not to say we shouldn't up the standards and take the sport seriously, though, because I could see this being the clear #2 program focus, ahead of volleyball and others. There can still be much more to be done in the sport in terms of hiring, since it seems most of the peripherals and physical setup measures have been taken. No excuse to be much, much better. The transformation of the program, despite recent misery, is mindblowing. Have to keep building on the momentum, because we're at a clear plateau and may lose it all if we're not careful.

Two numbers to explain why we are at a "plateau"....17 ppg & 4.5 apg.  Those are Xavier Johnson's numbers at Pitt this year. If this Administration really cared about basketball and didn't drag out the laughable 1 year extension after the most conference wins of all time, he could be on this roster. If they really wanted to win, give Miles a few more years  for security (we only make 52 million a year from tv now) and give Kenya whatever was necessary to keep him and Johnson here. A player of his caliber completely changes this roster.

6 hours ago, jimmychitwood said:

Two numbers to explain why we are at a "plateau"....17 ppg & 4.5 apg.  Those are Xavier Johnson's numbers at Pitt this year. If this Administration really cared about basketball and didn't drag out the laughable 1 year extension after the most conference wins of all time, he could be on this roster. If they really wanted to win, give Miles a few more years  for security (we only make 52 million a year from tv now) and give Kenya whatever was necessary to keep him and Johnson here. A player of his caliber completely changes this roster.

Meh.

We started 5 Top 150 players with an average star rating of 4.2.   There probably aren't more than 15 teams in the country that can say that.   Things weren't exactly going smooth at the time of Cope's injury.   We can say that more talent would help...but we haven't been getting a lot out of the talent we had.

6 hours ago, jimmychitwood said:

Can we stop trying to blame the administration for Miles failures. That thought process is laughable. Miles has done nothing to warrant a large extension, why guarantee more money to someone you're likely going to fire. . It was clear he had to prove it this year. Hunter left because he likely knew the Miles was on his way out. It's that simple. 

8 hours ago, jimmychitwood said:

Thanks. Exactly my thoughts. 'X' would have made the blow of Cope being lost for the year lessened by a fairly significant margin. For anyone to act like Nebraska basketball is a program at the University that's been treated so great certainly doesn't have history on their side. It's the red-headed step child. And, no, we shouldn't just say "okay, that's fine" - I think that's a ridiculous supposition to declare NU Hoops must play 2nd fiddle forever. Just look to Wisconsin.... they had no tradition in either football and basketball 25-30 years ago. Now they have a lot of winning going on. That's called "commitment" to excellence!

Edited by AuroranHusker

10 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Thanks. Exactly my thoughts. 'X' would have made the blow of Cope being lost for the year lessened by a fairly significant margin. For anyone to act like Nebraska basketball is a program at the University that's been treated so great certainly doesn't have history on their side. It's the red-headed step child. And, no, we shouldn't just say "okay, that's fine" - I think that's a ridiculous supposition to declare NU Hoops must play 2nd fiddle forever. Just look to Wisconsin.... they had no tradition in either football and basketball 25-30 years ago. Now they have a lot of winning going on. That's called "commitment" to excellence!

Man red-headed step children across the country would love to have the Pinnacle Bank Arena and the Hendricks Training Center. If the University didn't care about Basketball they'd be still playing at the Bob and having to practice at Mable Lee at times.

The loss of Copeland wouldn't be as big of a deal if guys like Ed Morrow, Michael Jacobson and others didn't leave. Why did they leave? I think we all know the reason for that.

Edited by TheGov21

9 minutes ago, TheGov21 said:

Man red-headed step children across the country would love to have the Pinnacle Bank Arena and the Hendricks Training Center. If the University didn't care about Basketball they'd be still playing at the Bob and having to practice at Mable Lee at times.

The loss of Copeland wouldn't be as big of a deal if guys like Ed Morrow, Michael Jacobson and others didn't leave. Why did they leave? I think we all know the reason for that.

I agree, the PBA & Hendricks are great. But that's only part of the equation. Administration doesn't truly care about basketball like they do football. Maybe the fans get what they deserve. IDK, I'm just kinda pissed at the moment...

Yes, Cope was the *1* dude Nebrasketball couldn't afford to lose for any stretch of the season. I'd argue he was even more important than JPJ.

And, @TheGov21, please share why Jordy, Eddie, & Michael were run off???

Anyone not acknowledging that Xavier Johnson being at Nebraska right now to be a key cog who likely would have altered the course of these past 6 games, IDK what to say, this whole "Nebrasketball ship" appears to be missing the boat.

Edited by AuroranHusker

8 hours ago, jimmychitwood said:

Here is the problem...XJ would still have to play in Miles offense and would be nowhere near as good as he is for Pitt.  And even worse, he would have transferred out after a year or would have failed to reach his full potential.

Before the season all the talk was about how this roster oozes talent.  The moment shit hits the fan it becomes the administrations fault instead of the guy who is actually in charge of the program.  We need to stop putting lipstick on a pig.  Miles did not get the job done.  I think he will go get a mid major job and probably do well.  Hopefully, we grab a coach that can field a competent offensive team and recruit some guys that can put the ball in the hole. 

I think that it is interesting that almost every press columnist in the state has made the statement that the University has to commit to having a good basketball team.   I don't know everything they are talking about, but evidently our administration is not as committed to Basketball as the fans are.   This was true for many years and I had thought that the administration had decided to change, but evidently that has been lip service to keep the donations rolling in. 

1 minute ago, twinswingohuskers said:

I think that it is interesting that almost every press columnist in the state has made the statement that the University has to commit to having a good basketball team.   I don't know everything they are talking about, but evidently our administration is not as committed to Basketball as the fans are.   This was true for many years and I had thought that the administration had decided to change, but evidently that has been lip service to keep the donations rolling in. 

Yep. "Commitment" isn't just shiny new buildings......