Moos

Norm Peterson

1 minute ago, nebrasketball10 said:

Kenya also left for a better job, right?? I don’t think you can blame that all on Miles’ contract situation. 

No.  He didn’t leave for a “better job.”  

And problems with Moos’s basketball leadership go beyond the contract: it’s a general negativity that overshadows everything positive.

26 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

No.  He didn’t leave for a “better job.”  

And problems with Moos’s basketball leadership go beyond the contract: it’s a general negativity that overshadows everything positive.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying about Moos, but he’s at UConn right? And for a raise (before we countered)? It’s tough to argue that UConn isn’t a better program than we are....

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

While Moos has done great things for Nebraska football, thus far, here’s a “no confidence” vote on his basketball capabilities.  

Here are two reasons why:

1.  Washington St.’s record over the past seven seasons (his hire is still there) is terrible—truly terrible!!!  Here is that under-.500 record:

2018-19: 8-14 so far

2017-18: 12-19

2016-17: 14-18

2015-16: 9-22

2014-15: 13-18

2013-14: 10-21

2012-13: 13-19

2.  Moos has exhibited, from the beginning, a passive/aggressive approach toward Tim Miles.  If he wanted Miles gone—just fire him already.  Instead, he kept Miles on the payroll but undermined him every now and then.  And here we are, wallowing in disappointment.  Incomprehensible!!!

Think of it this way: Kenya Hunter left because he saw the handwriting on the wall . . . and because that happened, we have Amir Harris, instead of Xavier Johnson.

Here’s hoping Moos has a viable plan for the future of Nebrasketball.  And here’s a “no confidence” vote regarding that hope!

Moos has overseen more basketball success at Oregon than we have ever seen at Nebraska ever. Multiple elite 8s, multiple PAC12 tournament championships, and a PAC12 regular season title. Sure the hire at WSU didn’t work out, but that’s also probably the worst power 5 coaching job out there. I refuse to blame an AD whose been here for 1 year for Miles failures for 7 years. 

6 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Moos went to Washington St. in 2010.

In 2007, Washington St. played in the Round of 32.

in 2008, Washington St. played in the Sweet 16.

Note the difference between those two seasons and Moos’s results, a few seasons later, at the same school.

Haha Tony Bennett was the reason for those results. They hit the lottery by employing his dad as head coach who left Tony in charge. Then Tony left for a better school, which is what happens when your at a school like WSU. Look a little deeper than the surface.

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Excuses, excuses.

Here’s the punchline from the post you are arguing against: “Here’s hoping Moos has a viable plan for the future of Nebrasketball.  And here’s a “no confidence” vote regarding that hope!”

Vote however you wish.  I stand by mine.

Oregon had gone to the ncaa tournament once in close to 35 years before Moos replacement took them to multiple elite 8 appearances and NCAA tournaments. 

Id also like to know how Moos has undermined Miles. Funny, how all offseason it was how this team was going to be very good, a shoe in for the tournament but it wasn’t till Miles loses the team(again) that we hear Moos is to blame. 

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Excuses, excuses.

Here’s the punchline from the post you are arguing against: “Here’s hoping Moos has a viable plan for the future of Nebrasketball.  And here’s a “no confidence” vote regarding that hope!”

Vote however you wish.  I stand by mine.

The excuses by both sides is exhausting. And typical of most excuses. Could Moos have handled it better? Without question. But if Eichorst wouldn’t have been fired we’d likely have a different coach right now.  Could the coaching staff done better recruiting for depth and coaching this season? Likely true also.

Once we’ve “fired our way to success” and Jervay Green is headed somewhere else and the Omaha recruit decides to stay in Omaha and Mika Adams-Woods takes his talents elsewhere, Moos had better have a splash hire ready to go.  Perhaps he does.  And this might all turn out great.  And we might all be thrilled with what happens.

But, based on evidence to date (sorry about repeating), I vote, “No confidence!”

4 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Once we’ve “fired our way to success” and Jervay Green is headed somewhere else and the Omaha recruit decides to stay in Omaha and Mika Adams-Woods takes his talents elsewhere, Moos had better have a splash hire ready to go.  Perhaps he does.  And this might all turn out great.  And we might all be thrilled with what happens.

But, based on evidence to date (sorry about repeating), I vote, “No confidence!”

All those guys have exactly one other P5 offer. That’s not to say they won’t be good... but none of them are a reason to stick with the status quo. 

5 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Yeah I’m not saying folks should have confidence in Moos. I have no idea how capable he is or isn’t. But I’m not worried about recruits at this point because it’s far from a given that Miles would have done anything but disappoint with the above group. 

17 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Yeah I’m not saying folks should have confidence in Moos. 

We are in Moos’s hands entirely.  We have no choice or alternative.

If he screws this up, it could be years before we get back to even Doc’s and Miles’s level of success—sort of like Illinois post-Groce.

And . . . on a slightly different issue:  Is Miles the last-remaining Osborne hire?

Dr. Tom’s hires don’t seem to have much success here.  Have they all been fired?

3 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

We are in Moos’s hands entirely.  We have no choice or alternative.

If he screws this up, it could be years before we get back to even Doc’s and Miles’s level of success—sort of like Illinois post-Groce.

And . . . on a slightly different issue:  Is Miles the last-remaining Osborne hire?

Dr. Tom’s hires don’t seem to have much success here.  Have they all been fired?

Erstad

Man, I am so frustrated with how this entire thing is playing out and it is starting to look eerily similar to how the Pelini era ended. (Apologies to all for the football analogy).

At this point, everyone is taking a side and it won’t matter what happens. If Tim is let go, there will be a significant portion of the fan base who will be very vocal in their opposition. If he stays, the other side will be just as vocal. And there is no prodigal son out there who can return home and unite everyone toward a common vision. 

The fracture is real. Solving that issue will be Moos’ biggest challenge at NU.

9 minutes ago, demone said:

Man, I am so frustrated with how this entire thing is playing out and it is starting to look eerily similar to how the Pelini era ended. (Apologies to all for the football analogy).

At this point, everyone is taking a side and it won’t matter what happens. If Tim is let go, there will be a significant portion of the fan base who will be very vocal in their opposition. If he stays, the other side will be just as vocal. And there is no prodigal son out there who can return home and unite everyone toward a common vision. 

That may have been the case earlier in the season, but if Miles doesn't find a way to get his most talented roster into the tournament, finishes with only 1 NCAA appearance in 7 seasons, and has zero NCAA and zero NIT wins, then you'll start to see some of those "support him until he's let go" fans say "I really liked the guy, but I guess he just couldn't quite get it done for us" and move on to going all in and supporting the next coach.

3 minutes ago, demone said:

I don't see any of this.  First of all, I don't see the analogy to the end of the Pelini era, which was at least as much about attitude, image and behavior as it was about winning.   I suppose the only connection could be the lack of support from the ADs.    I see it closer to the how the Riley era ended--a whole bunch of losses on the court/field and not many problems outside of that. 

Not sure where you're getting some big fracture or side-taking.    If we keep losing, there won't be a "significant portion" of the fan base very vocal in opposition to moving on from Miles.  Certainly around the athletic community in Lincoln right now there is frustration and disappointment, but not much dissent.   Certainly a feeling of inevitability rather than protest.  

Now, your scenario could play out if we rally somewhat but not enough to save Miles.   Say we win 5 or 6 and that isn't enough.  Then there will be more division out there, but it's as likely we win 0-2 and this thing goes down without a whole lot of dissension.   

I think it is likely that moving on from Miles won't be a major  source of "fracture".    The issue will be in the new hire.  That one ain't gonna be easy.  

It seems to me that Coach Miles' biggest coaching mistake this year was in not telling his players not to attempt a dunk after hearing the referee blow his whistle. Before the year started I predicted it would be the best year ever if none of our big three seniors got an injury. Copeland did, and it is now like trying to use a three legged milking stool with one leg gone. Some milk spillage is inevitable. Unless this team loses the remainder of its games and completely tanks, I see enough pieces in place for next year that I would offer another one year contract. However, I am beginning to see enough impatience in the fan base, donors, and administration that I fear they will begin cutting the wood to assemble a new milking stool. If so, let's hope we get milkshakes and not curds and whey. (And I want some up votes from outstate for the agriculture analogy).

Edited by jimmykc

6 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

It seems to me that Coach Miles' biggest coaching mistake this year was in not telling his players not to attempt a dunk after hearing the referee blow his whistle. Before the year started I predicted it would be the best year ever if none of our big three seniors got an injury. Copeland did, and it is now like trying to use a three legged milking stool with one leg gone. Some milk spillage is inevitable. Unless this team loses the remainder of its games and completely tanks, I see enough pieces in place for next year that I would offer another one year contract. However, I am beginning to see enough impatience in the fan base, donors, and administration that I fear they will begin cutting the wood to assemble a new milking stool. If so, let's hope we get milkshakes and not curds and whey. (And I want some up votes from outstate for the agriculture analogy).

Dude. C'mon.

15 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

Dude. C'mon.

Everyone has a right to his/her opinion.  You may not like it, but Jimmy is a long time fan and supporter, so if he sees a ray of sunshine, he has a right to point it out.  After all, this is the internet, right?  

10 hours ago, Jugular said:

Still not answering the question about where you were last year. I have no problem with your opinion on Tim. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I’d guess most everyone would agree with that.  The problem is your dick move of coming back on here to gloat and beat your drum when you crawled in a hole last year like a coward. Again, shows a lot about your character that you are happy someone is failing.

You know this is the internet, right? ???

1 hour ago, HB said:

I don't see any of this.  First of all, I don't see the analogy to the end of the Pelini era, which was at least as much about attitude, image and behavior as it was about winning.   I suppose the only connection could be the lack of support from the ADs.    I see it closer to the how the Riley era ended--a whole bunch of losses on the court/field and not many problems outside of that. 

Not sure where you're getting some big fracture or side-taking.    If we keep losing, there won't be a "significant portion" of the fan base very vocal in opposition to moving on from Miles.  Certainly around the athletic community in Lincoln right now there is frustration and disappointment, but not much dissent.   Certainly a feeling of inevitability rather than protest.  

Now, your scenario could play out if we rally somewhat but not enough to save Miles.   Say we win 5 or 6 and that isn't enough.  Then there will be more division out there, but it's as likely we win 0-2 and this thing goes down without a whole lot of dissension.   

I think it is likely that moving on from Miles won't be a major  source of "fracture".    The issue will be in the new hire.  That one ain't gonna be easy.  

I spend a lot of time on Twitter - if you search and follow the #Nebrasketball tag, there is a lot of “for” and a lot of “against”. There isn’t a lot of middle ground being taken right now. I’ve seen it on this board as well, but perhaps to a lesser degree. 

Sure things can change based on how this season ends. But as it stands now, a line has been drawn in the fan base. It doesn’t matter the reasons (attitude, behavior or lack of success). Based on what I see and read, there is a significant split today. 

2 minutes ago, demone said:

I spend a lot of time on Twitter - if you search and follow the #Nebrasketball tag, there is a lot of “for” and a lot of “against”. There isn’t a lot of middle ground being taken right now. I’ve seen it on this board as well, but perhaps to a lesser degree. 

Sure things can change based on how this season ends. But as it stands now, a line has been drawn in the fan base. It doesn’t matter the reasons (attitude, behavior or lack of success). Based on what I see and read, there is a significant split today. 

Twitter is always tricky. You're going to have a lot of people opining on Nebrasketball when they haven't seen a combined total of 20 minutes this entire season. So it's good for general sentiment. I wonder if what you're seeing are the extremes of "want a perennial national championship coach" and Miles apologists.