PURDUE game thread 1-31-19

redsteve

Nebraska Cornhuskers
at Purdue Boilermakers
Thursday, January 31, 2019, 7 p.m. (CT)
Mackey Arena (14,846) - West Lafayette, Indiana
Live TV: BTN (Mike Monaco, Vera Jones)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln-B107.3 FM; Omaha-ESPN 590 AM
Huskers.com, Huskers App, TuneIn

Will be another very tough away game (aren't they all anymore).

Purdue is fairly young, and their starters play and score the most. Defense is their thing. They typically aren't huge scorers themselves either. 

Have a hot toddy and enjoy the game....may drive you to drink anyway......  -13 around my house this morning. So much for global warming
Edited by redsteve

I'm not really going to hold my breath expecting a win.  I really thought they would have it together and be really tough by this time of the year.  In truth they seem to be going backwards at this point.  Hoping the last two games were one step backwards and two steps forward is right around the corner, but the complete lack of rebounding and defense suggests to me that the effort is not there.  Without effort there really is no pulling together.  Oh well the only thing we can do is cheer loud and hope to help them push through.

This team isn't going to win another game because Williams is an ineffective coach!!!!

(Sorry, I had to imitate Redhac for effect, even though that's way out of character of me.)

In seriousness, I think it's going to be a tough game, but hopefully the team is starting to figure things out. I'm predicting a loss, but would not be surprised to come out with a W.

Here's some stuff taken from the Game Page @ Huskers.com.  Again, sorry I won't be able to watch the game.  :Redface:    Busy every night this week so can't watch the Men's or Women's games)

Close games have been the norm for Nebraska this season. Unfortunately, the Huskers are just 2-7 in games decided by six points or less (2 possessions), including 1-4 in Big Ten play. Purdue is 5-2 in two-possession games, including 4-1 in the league.

• The Nebraska-Purdue series has featured some of the most exciting and memorable games in school history since the Huskers joined the conference in 2011-12. The first-ever game between the two teams was a 93-89 triple-overtime win for the Huskers at Mackey Arena on Feb. 2, 2012. The second game in the series went double-overtime one month later in Indianapolis, as Purdue defeated the Huskers 74-70 in the 2012 Big Ten Championship Game.

Scouting The Purdue Boilermakers
• The Boilermakers own a 15-7 overall record including a 6-3 Big Ten mark.
• Purdue is a defense-first team that is allowing just 60.2 points in Big Ten play, while scoring just 62.2 points per conference contest. The Boilermakers are holding Big Ten foes to 41.2 percent shooting, including 35.2 percent from three-point range. Purdue is plus-2.7 on the boards, but minus-1.7 in turnovers through nine league games.
• Offensively, Purdue is shooting a solid 42 percent from the field, including 34.8 percent from three-point range. Purdue has outscored its opponents by 34 points (3.8 ppg) at the free throw line in conference play, while attempting 44 more free throws than the opposition. Purdue is shooting 72.2 percent at the free throw line in the league.

• Dominique Oden, a 5-8 junior guard, leads Purdue in scoring in Big Ten play (15.9 ppg) and shares the team’s scoring lead for the season (15.5 ppg). Oden, who leads Purdue with 37 steals, has hit 35.7 percent (35-98) of her threes and 78.4 percent (58-74) of her free throws.
• Sophomore guard Karissa McLaughlin has also averaged 15.5 ppg, while adding a team-best 4.0 assists. McLaughlin has hit 38.5 percent of her threes on the year and 92.8 percent (64-69) of her free throws.
• Ae’Rianna Harris, an athletic 6-1 forward, is averaging 13.1 points, 9.0 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per game on the season and ranks second among the Boilermakers with 25 steals.
• Tamara Farquhar, a 6-0 sophomore forward, is averaging 8.2 points and 8.7 rebounds per B 1G game.
• Kayana Traylor rounds out Purdue’s starters in Big Ten play by averaging 5.3 points, 2.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists.

I am really happy for the team and coaches.  We are so close to breaking out guys.  We r really talented.  It just takes a while for the young ones to figure out winning plays. We r making progress. The pieces are there - super happy for Hannah. I am sure she didnt have the start to her season she wanted but she has played extremely well the last several gms — veerbeek was really really good too. I wish she and the other bigs would quit shooting 3s. They may make 1 or 2 occasionally but it’s fools gold for them. Good win. Gbr 

Edited by kansashusker