No expectations, this is Nebrasketball

PimpMario

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

So a Nebrasketball fan who thinks the worst is going to happen is living in "reality" but one who thinks the best is going to happen is not?  Interesting concept...

Based on history, my train of thought has been correct many more times. Just simply playing the numbers!

Going into last night I held out hope for a 6-5 finish as I believe 9-11 and 19-12 will get us in.  I will now hold out hope for a 6-4 finish (or better).  Obviously need a win Saturday to get things moving in the right direction again.  I refuse to believe that this can't happen and will hold out hope to the bitter end. 

7 hours ago, HB said:

How about us poor bastards who have been on a 5 decade journey?   ??

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been Husker Basketball disappointments.  We've done "If you build it" twice, and they still haven't come.

This isn't a negative post.  I just have no optimism left in me for this season.  In an attempt to bring my optimism back,  I want to give away a nice stash of Lucky Beef Jerky.  Here's what I'll do:  Whoever has the most upvotes on this thread will get a good supply of our jerky.  The more games Nebraska wins, the more jerky the winner gets.  If the Huskers don't win another game, 2 bags max.  If they make the NCAA Tourney, 6 or 8.  Win a game in the tourney, case for sure.  Vote for your favorite post and help me get happy. 

Edited by cipsucks

17 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been Husker Basketball disappointments.  We've done "If you build it" twice, and they still haven't come.

This isn't a negative post.  I just have no optimism left in me for this season.  In an attempt to bring my optimism back,  I want to give away a nice stash of Lucky Beef Jerky.  Here's what I'll do:  Whoever has the most upvotes on this thread will get a good supply of our jerky.  The more games Nebraska wins, the more jerky the winner gets.  If the Huskers don't win another game, 2 bags max.  If they make the NCAA Tourney, 6 or 8.  Win a game in the tourney, case for sure.  Vote for your favorite post and help me get happy. 

What happens if you win the vote because everyone likes your post about free jerky?  ?

9 hours ago, PimpMario said:

The bandwagoners are getting off. The media is turning against the team.  The expectations for this team have disappeared.

Part of me wants to say "now when they least expect it, it's time to go on a run!"

Another part of me is nostalgic knowing that only the diehard fans remain.  Soon the threads dissecting how it's still possible get the 6th seed in the conference tourney.

Either way, this is Nebrasketball.  To all the tortured souls who have been on this 2 decade journey with me I salute you!

Been longer than two decades for moi, but yeah, it's always a wild rollercoaster ride. I wouldn't want to root for any other team !!! #GBR4Life

Edited by AuroranHusker

7 hours ago, hskr4life said:

This.  This seems to be the elephant in the room.  We lost Copeland.  Huge huge loss.  We still have what some have said is an All-Big 10 player, a 4 year starting PG, a JR who some say could go in the early 2nd round of the NBA draft, and a soph who was one of the highest rated recruits of the Nebrasketball era.  We have the horses, but the horses also have to want to run.

I will be the fist to admit that it was NCAA or bust for me this year.  I have supported Tim for his entire tenure, just as I did with Doc and just as I will do with the next coach.  However, this year was supposed to be different.  This was the first year where I didn't just "want" to dance, I expected it.  Many of you know that I am a huge optimist.  Why anyone would want to go through life thinking the "worst" is going to happen vs thinking the "best" is going to happen is beyond me.  But there also comes a point where even the most optimistic person starts to get a feeling in their stomach.  I am at that point.  This weekends game becomes huge for me now.  Lose at Illinois, and the wheels will have completely fallen off.  Right now, we have a major problem... we have a flat tire in the last leg of a long race.  But, we're not for sure how to drop the spare right now and we are getting passed by all of the other competitors.  We need that spare and we need it now.  We need that spare by Saturday.

I was in the boat of people who were disappointed, but not completely worried about our first three conference losses to Minny, Maryland, and Iowa.  Yes, those losses were games that we had in hand, but they were losses to the upper 10 teams in the Big 10.  We had plenty of opportunities left.  However, those games meant that you could not afford to lose at Rutgers.  You can't afford to drop both home games to OSU and Wiscy, and you can't afford to lose the upcoming games at Illinois and PSU.  We just can't afford many more losses right now to accomplish what I want.  Add to that, we lose Copeland, and that makes those games huge now.  However, I think it is unfair at the time to say "these will come back and bite us" because we still had our "easiest" portion of the conference schedule to come.  We are now 0-3 in that "easy" portion.  

Finally, there comes a point where the players are just going to have to want "it."  We can sit here and Tim Miles this and Time Miles that all day.  However, I competed in athletics growing up and until around the early college years.  In addition, I coached both youth and high school teams in various sports.  I know, for me, that I get pissed at losing.  At some point I feel that the players have to get pissed, and play hard.  We have to start doing the little things right.  We need to make our easy bunnies, make our free throws, and do what we do best.  We haven't been doing that the last four games.  It's showing.  I know some on here will probably comment the old "Well Tim just needs to get them to where they can succeed" and the like.  I'm not going to completely disagree with you.  However, those in the boat of "This is completely Tim's fault" I will disagree with.  This is a full on TEAM losing streak right now.  This isn't on any one man or coach. 

We need buy in these last 10 games.  We have a 7th year coach and a decent starting 5.  We can do it if we want.  I would feel decent heading into the Big 10 tourney with 19 wins.  @Illinois, vs NW, and @PSU are all games we HAVE to win now.  Can we find three more wins vs Maryland, @Purdue, vs Minny, vs Purdue, @MSU, @MU, and vs Iowa?  This team still could I think.  Running that simulation on the Big 10 generator puts us around at 8 seed and playing Minny.  

Sorry for the book.  I just don't want to give up on this team quite yet.  Why would you?  This is the best team we have had in years.  OU was 16-11 and 6-9 overall with a 7 game losing streak last year.  They finished 8-10, lost the first game of the conference tourney, and made it with an 18-13 record.  They made it.  So can we.

As they'd say on the Jim Rome radio program:  ((epic rant))

RACK HIM!

10 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

I will always be a Nebraska basketball fan.  At 67, I a running out of time to see NU notch one victory in an NCAA Tournament.  Don’t think that is asking too much.  I was cautiously optimistic about this season but was never convinced we were a sure thing to make the Dance.  Our lack of quality depth was my major concern.

Coach Miles will have my support if he is retained.  If he is replaced, the new coach will have my support.  I do retain the right to be critical of poor play, poor decision making and poor effort in either situation.  

May the Huskers have some good fortune before the season ends and a better shooting eye.

You sound a lot like my father.  Always stays to the end and makes the vast majority of games.

I hope that he gets to see Nebraska make some noise in the dance one year.  Or even just earn a decent seed by having a good season.

These last 10 games are a referendum on Nebrasketball’s future. The early work was done to get good enough “metrics” to make the tourney, but this team’s resume only consists of these games and the BIG tournament in the committee’s eyes. Fail and the only way to get that first win is to play the same dirty recruiting game as everyone else. Miles is respected enough in the coaching circles that any coach wanting to improve his career trajectory the right way will not come here.

To paraphrase Bud Kilmer, every 40 minutes of these last 10 games need to be played like it’s the next 40 years of your life.

James - your last name is Palmer, not Harden. Just be that guy from last year, we need nothing more than that.

Glynn - You said before the year you wanted to make your impact on Nebrasketball history. Well, now is the time. We can’t win with you and Palmer going 3 of 98 on bad shots because you force everything.

Roby - Wisconsin was a good start but we still need more. No more dumb fouls.

Tanner - You’re getting a root canal after every game. Enough said.

Thor - For Vahala or whatever inspired you to play like that, keep it up.

Tom - Creighton wasn’t a fluke. You’re going to be the man next year so start it now.

Finally Tim - Make these guys believe they are a better version of the gritty teams you used to coach. 

Sorry for another long-winded post but this season has really gotten to me. I have a separate bank account full of “traveling to see the first win” money. This was a year I believed and I hope the team decides to sooner than later.

The sickening thing is, the bubble seems very weak.  I mean, last update Lunardi still had Creighton listed in the first four out and our resume is quite a bit better.  This team needs to find a way somehow someway to get to 9-11 in conference play.  Find a way to win out at home and get one of PSU/Illinois on the road. 

Not sure if that's doable considering how horrible this team was in the month of JAN. 

33 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

The biggest problem I have every year with my Huskers, is having to listen and then explain to true bandwagon people that we really don't suck and it is a great day/night to be alive when you are watching the boys play.

I have enjoyed the times with my mom, by wife, friends and especially my own sons as I have sat at either the Colisuem, the Bob or the Vault.

It has been a big part of my life and a big part of who I am.

IT WILL GET BETTER SOMEDAY!!!?

Well said, Silverbacked.   Hit the nail right on the head for those of us who have this a big part of our life despite the suckage.   I don't know when that someday is, but if I"m still vertical, I will be there basking in it.

Still a lot of games left, and as we noticed against Wisconsin, if we can start getting shots to drop at even a bit below average, we can beat teams again. That's our single biggest problem right now. We simply can't shoot for poop. 

Given that earlier in the season we could shoot much better, you can't just say that these guys can't win anymore. On the other hand, you can't assume they'll bust the slump, either, when you suck for this length of a stretch. Head issues can derail entire seasons and my number one gripe with Timmeh is that he's a terrible team psychologist.

This group is extra dependent on confidence to win. More so than a lot of teams. And without it, we can see the results. We're just down to hoping for that one break that brings that back. And with this many games left, it's not a dead proposition. 

Week by week. For the team and us. And for the love of quality fried chicken, keep Jobu happy!

Interestingly, if you recalled earlier in the season, Miles seemed to agree at least in part that team psych maybe isn't his strong suit, and brought in Jack Riggins, a former Navy SEAL who also worked with the volleyball team, to help improve that area. If you follow Twitter recently, it seems Bill Moos shut that down and no longer allows Captain Jack to work with the team. Seems a shame from where I sit that someone volunteering their services (as he mentioned on Twitter he was), so costing the AD nothing, and providing what sounded like good results to the team, was prohibited from working with them any longer, especially when it appears his services could be really worthwhile right now.

(And before it goes there: unless you have a knock with John Cook using the same guy, don't say "this is the coach's job".)

Edited to include the tweet referenced here: 

Edited by ladyhusker

hsker4life:    I read your longer statement above and agree so much!  Thank you for your post.  " We have the horses, but the horses also have to want to run."

"I just don't want to give up on this team quite yet.  Why would you?  This is the best team we have had in years."  

My brother recruited by Harry Good (only conference championship won by NU) and played for Jerry Bush as did I. (won't talk about those win/loss records!)  Followed and been involved with all 8 coaches since that time.  My only comment at this time as we go thru this unexpected pain coincides with hsker4life .   Our biggest problem in our down efforts is desire and "want-to".   I strongly believe that with the talent we have - if they all - each individually - had the constant "get after them" internal drive of Benny Parker we would probably be undefeated!! You may disagree - but I truly believe that.  I like Tim - his coaching style - his personality - what he does to front the University.  But he can do whatever he can to instill - encourage - demand that the boys have the all out inner desire and effort - but when it comes down to it - it has to be in the inner selves and the chemistry and combined determination of the team players themselves.  

27 minutes ago, Rachoo said:

hsker4life:    I read your longer statement above and agree so much!  Thank you for your post.  " We have the horses, but the horses also have to want to run."

"I just don't want to give up on this team quite yet.  Why would you?  This is the best team we have had in years."  

My brother recruited by Harry Good (only conference championship won by NU) and played for Jerry Bush as did I. (won't talk about those win/loss records!)  Followed and been involved with all 8 coaches since that time.  My only comment at this time as we go thru this unexpected pain coincides with hsker4life .   Our biggest problem in our down efforts is desire and "want-to".   I strongly believe that with the talent we have - if they all - each individually - had the constant "get after them" internal drive of Benny Parker we would probably be undefeated!! You may disagree - but I truly believe that.  I like Tim - his coaching style - his personality - what he does to front the University.  But he can do whatever he can to instill - encourage - demand that the boys have the all out inner desire and effort - but when it comes down to it - it has to be in the inner selves and the chemistry and combined determination of the team players themselves.  

Hmm, I may know you and if you are who I think you are, your brother and my Dad were pretty good friends.  :)

22 hours ago, hskr4life said:

So a Nebrasketball fan who thinks the worst is going to happen is living in "reality" but one who thinks the best is going to happen is not?  Interesting concept...

Both are fine; both can be great fans, as long as what they wish to happen is good things for the team, regardless of what they think will happen.   If that makes any sense.