uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 21 - Wisconsin

uneblinstu

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

Its one thing to miss shots (and we missed plenty),  but I was dumbfounded by Miles "strategy" down the stretch.  As we all know, NU managed to take a lead by 3 in the second half and if I recall correctly, it was still a close game with about 6-8 minutes left, and we all knew we absolutely could not let UW stretch out the lead.  So I was pleading, even yelling, for Miles to go to Hack-a-Happ. Happ is shooting 37% on FT in conference play.  He was 0-3 last night.  Miles made 2 massive blunders down the stretch of that game.

1.  When Tanner fouled out, he put in Brady.  Why?  Why not go small?  Play Watson, Allen, Thor, JPJ and Roby.  Brady was clearly outmatched in that game.  The smaller lineup could at least stretch out the defense a bit and give the offense the best chance to score.  Then, on defense, if the ball goes inside to Happ, just FOUL HIM.  We didn't need a big to guard their big, because our small could just foul every time Happ touched the ball (we had multiple players who had just 1 foul on the floor at the time.  This lineup blunder was compounded when Miles, out of a timeout, ran a play that apparently was designed to go to Brady under the hoop!  What?  The ball was passed in to Brady and Brady then promptly threw it away.  Turnover. What is going on?  Why is Miles running a play through Brady late in the game when the game is on the line and Roby is on the floor? 

2.  His second mistake plays off the above.  Miles should have gone to Hack-a-Happ with 6 to 8 minutes left in the game.  Especially when NU reached 6 fouls putting UW in the single bonus.  We could have had 3 straight possessions where we put Happ on the line for a 1-on-1 situation.  If he misses the first shot, it is essentially a turnover.  But no.  Instead, NU allowed UW to run significant clock and either (a) hit a 3 point shot which was an absolute killer in such a low scoring game, or (b) fouled one of UW's guards late in the shot clock!?!  What is going on here?  In fact, Miles never went to hack-a-Happ the entire game.  Even down 10 with 3 minutes to go, he could have fouled Happ every time down just to give NU a chance, but its almost like it never occurred to him or any of his assistants.  Really?!?  This is mind blowing. 

It is incredibly frustrating watching the players miss shots.  And watching JPJ take his hero shot 3s late in the game was tough.   But that is something that can happen to the best of players, let alone our guys.  Sometimes the ball just doesn't go in the hoop.  But watching a coach, who is payed $2.5M  fail to see and implement such basic and obvious strategies and lineups is unacceptable.  The coach has to give the players the best chance possible to win the game.  NU may still have lost, but Miles should not cripple them with such poor coaching decisions making it that much more difficult.

I have supported Miles.  Up to this point I have told everyone I talk to I think Miles should get an extension.  But with this collapse, and watching these types of massive coaching inadequacies, has me at wits end. 

I was *basically* screaming within 100 feet of Miles for NU to "FOUL HAPP!!!!" with about 3 min left. No, instead we let Wisc run clock, which promptly drained a 3 to go up 60-48 to basically end it right there. I had a lot of WTH moments with Miles' coaching last night. I feel like NU has kind of pissed away post-season opportunities these past 3 games, in particular.

Edited by AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, rr52 said:

I was thinking same thing on fouling Happ. Gard's response to that strategy would've been interesting. Great point on the small line-up. It would've opened up the middle for driving lanes also when Huskers had the ball. As for Thor he was like the one guy that shows up at city league games and just runs and runs and runs with no apparent purpose and is kind of a pain in the rear. But Thor actually hustled with a purpose. His movement at the top of the 1-3-1 was fun to watch. And it's nice to see him pass and make a hard cut to the basket. 

Agreed, it was fun to see him.  

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

It certainly made one wonder why Thor had only been in for 1 min. total in the 9 previous Big Ten games?! It's been obvious that Nana hasn't been productive & Brady isn't there yet....

I will say that I loved Thor last night.  I think he should be the 6 man with Cope out the rest of the year.  Maybe that would light a fire under Nana as well.  However, there were times when Thor did some head-scratching things last night.  He still had some WTH fouls and some WTH passes.  His hustle was amazing and that was something that this team was lacking in previous games.  However, when we had Cope, there wasn't really a need for Thor.  Especially with the way that Nana was playing as a 6th man early this year.  Combine Cope with Nana's struggles and we had the perfect storm for Thor to come in and show us what he's got.  I would love to see him the rest of the year.  It's his time.  He didn't do any more to hurt the team last night than anyone else, and his hustle and ability to rebound was better than we have seen in about 3 weeks.

13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I will say that I loved Thor last night.  I think he should be the 6 man with Cope out the rest of the year.  Maybe that would light a fire under Nana as well.  However, there were times when Thor did some head-scratching things last night.  He still had some WTH fouls and some WTH passes.  His hustle was amazing and that was something that this team was lacking in previous games.  However, when we had Cope, there wasn't really a need for Thor.  Especially with the way that Nana was playing as a 6th man early this year.  Combine Cope with Nana's struggles and we had the perfect storm for Thor to come in and show us what he's got.  I would love to see him the rest of the year.  It's his time.  He didn't do any more to hurt the team last night than anyone else, and his hustle and ability to rebound was better than we have seen in about 3 weeks.

I would like to see him shoot it when he's open! He turned down a couple.

17 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Plus, coach Hoiberg will have some game film of him so Fred can make a proper assessment. ?

15 hours ago, royalfan said:

We probably have to play Thor quite a bit.  He is easily our best passer and we are an awful passing team.  

Been saying this for years. We miss so many cutters and spot up shooters it is maddening. If we could use screens better, improve our passing, and be ready to shoot our O would look so much better but that’s been the case for years. 

Agree on Thor always thought he could be a good PG but he needs to work on that shot, butt ugly FTs

4 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I was *basically* screaming within 100 feet of Miles for NU to "FOUL HAPP!!!!" with about 3 min left. No, instead we let Wisc run clock, which promptly drained a 3 to go up 60-48 to basically end it right there. I had a lot of WTH moments with Miles' coaching last night. I feel like NU has kind of pissed away post-season opportunities these past 3 games, in particular.

These are things the good or great coaches have ready to go as second nature.  It is instinctual.  Miles does not have good instinctual coaching ability.  That is why things happen like the awful Ohio St. loss at the buzzer a year or two ago.  He is certainly in the bottom group in this league in strategic and instinctual coaching ability.  

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

Been saying this for years. We miss so many cutters and spot up shooters it is maddening. If we could use screens better, improve our passing, and be ready to shoot our O would look so much better but that’s been the case for years. 

Never ever do we hit the role guy going to the hoop 

Idk
tough loss I guess
Bad loss??
Are any losses good??

forgive me if any of this has already been said anywhere as o have not read any of this thread yet but
I'm not buying into the whole doom and gloom fire miles talk
theres still this season going on now and I'm focused on it
All that other stuffs for after you have no more games to play in my opinion

But I feel if Palmer can get over not wanting to let some one else
"outshine" him
particularly Roby pretty much all season as well as Allen
And if Watson doesnt take a few of those bad shots
I feel we actually win this game.

But if Roby does what he did after I about threw damn my beer at the tv screaming SHOOOT THE F@*%G BALL ROBY after he got that offensive foul and turnover that put them down early
But it looked too me liked something may have clicked
As far as the bench goes its a definete concern
But I'm more concerned that they havent played more anyway
I'm under the impression the more you play the better you get
You gotta live with those mistakes to grow

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

I was pretty pleased with our effort and fight ... gotta admit I didn't see that. We just don't have the horses ... with or without Copeland. That's become clear throughout the year. I wasn't as sold on us coming into this year as many, but I know most here know that I've been over Miles for quite some time. I just don't know how you don't have a more complementary bench for these guys. That's on no one but Miles. Borchardt really brought the edge and energy ... too bad he couldn't stay in the game.

I know there is an outside chance we can still do something, but it's so hard to see it happening even in the slightest. I think we have to go 7-3 ... and man that would be super, super tough.

Just now, Husker4theSpurs said:

I was pretty pleased with our effort and fight ... gotta admit I didn't see that. We just don't have the horses ... with or without Copeland. That's become clear throughout the year. I wasn't as sold on us coming into this year as many, but I know most here know that I've been over Miles for quite some time. I just don't know how you don't have a more complementary bench for these guys. That's on no one but Miles. Borchardt really brought the edge and energy ... too bad he couldn't stay in the game.

I know there is an outside chance we can still do something, but it's so hard to see it happening even in the slightest. I think we have to go 7-3 ... and man that would be super, super tough.

Taking the OU 2018 approach and how the Big 10 is perceived, 6-4 could do it as well.  7-3 certainly makes one more comfortable.

17 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

That was such a BS call, why do some of these refs fall for Davison's crap?!?

Was this the one when Borchardt fouled out? If so, as much as I hate Davison, Borchardt was inside the circle (split second too late getting there) and the call was correct. Although it was a flop, he's going to get the benefit of the doubt with the size of Borchardt plowing into him.

8 minutes ago, burgundy95 said:

Was this the one when Borchardt fouled out? If so, as much as I hate Davison, Borchardt was inside the circle (split second too late getting there) and the call was correct. Although it was a flop, he's going to get the benefit of the doubt with the size of Borchardt plowing into him.

No, it was his fourth while Borchardt was going for a rebound. Davison boxed him out and essentially slumped down while "falling" backwards.

The one he fouled out on would have been an easy charge call if he'd been outside the arc.

I'm still sick because we exposed Happ. He could not guard Roby. Roby took him to school a few times but that was basically a "mismatch" with the ball in Roby's hands. I don't understand how we don't see that and keep attacking there. Make Happ foul Roby or make them start dropping down a double team on him. I just hate seeing things like this and then we go away from it. Also, Tim Miles cannot make free throws or layups. I don't understand how people can blame the coach for this. 

Also, there was a jump ball call that should have been a travel right before the half. NU kept the ball, but instead of getting the ball out of the break, Wisconsin did. I believe they missed a shot, so it may not have mattered, but at the time, when NU was trying to claw back, that could have been a pretty significant hidden swing.

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

No, it was his fourth while Borchardt was going for a rebound. Davison boxed him out and essentially slumped down while "falling" backwards.

The one he fouled out on would have been an easy charge call if he'd been outside the arc.

Ah yes...that was pretty terrible. 

54 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Also, there was a jump ball call that should have been a travel right before the half. NU kept the ball, but instead of getting the ball out of the break, Wisconsin did. I believe they missed a shot, so it may not have mattered, but at the time, when NU was trying to claw back, that could have been a pretty significant hidden swing.

Should Wisconsin player have been called for over and back? Friend beside me said it looked like Davison(?) stepped on midcourt line.

Spent the day listening to how the Moos “issue” isn’t a thing, & Miles is DONE. As hollow as it feels right now, most of us have endured the 10 & 12 win seasons so now is when you bow the neck & “Man Up”. I refuse to just sleepwalk through the rest of the season & assume all is lost.