uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 21 - Wisconsin

uneblinstu

Ill start by saying i love Miles. He has a lot of energy, and the guy has some grit. And i think he really is the best we have had since Nee.  But to win in this league- you better be nasty, you better have a skilled BIG, and you have to move the damn ball cause this league’s defenses are just too good.  Miles has graded out poorly in these areas. He recruits them “long lean and underrated” as he called it. Thats not gonna cut it.  You need a couple Bernhard Garners and garners and Steffon Bradfords. Miles has not been able to get that type. You have to have an offense that moves and doesnt rely on isolation. The offense problem has been a problem wver since Danny left. And in 20 years we have yet to be able to muster up a roster that combines all of these attributes at one time:

length, girth, shooting, and frankly mentally tough

I think Miles has been exposed and his weaknesses in coaching and recruiting are glaring and unfortunately l think the goose is cooked. 

1 minute ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Ill start by saying i love Miles. He has a lot of energy, and the guy has some grit. And i think he really is the best we have had since Nee.  But to win in this league- you better be nasty, you better have a skilled BIG, and you have to move the damn ball cause this league’s defenses are just too good.  Miles has graded out poorly in these areas. He recruits them “long lean and underrated” as he called it. Thats not gonna cut it.  You need a couple Bernhard Garners and garners and Steffon Bradfords. Miles has not been able to get that type. You have to have an offense that moves and doesnt rely on isolation. The offense problem has been a problem wver since Danny left. And in 20 years we have yet to be able to muster up a roster that combines all of these attributes at one time:

length, girth, shooting, and frankly mentally tough

I think Miles has been exposed and his weaknesses in coaching and recruiting are glaring and unfortunately l think the goose is cooked. 

I think his problem is that he is more comfortable coaching small ball, and that is a very hard way to win in this league.  We had the stars align with transfers and had it set up this year.  Then everything went to shit.  It really is not a sustainable recipe to be good year in and year out.  

3 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I think his problem is that he is more comfortable coaching small ball, and that is a very hard way to win in this league.  We had the stars align with transfers and had it set up this year.  Then everything went to shit.  It really is not a sustainable recipe to be good year in and year out.  

Yeah. And that in itself is going to be his downfall. 

Happ is a bit of a whiner, but he was really terrific at finding open guys on the perimeter. 

I am not even sure Glynn is the PG anymore. It seems as JPJ plays more of the point and I am not sure why.

This has to be a coach's worst nightmare to shoot so poorly. 

Our guards did a nice job of rebounding tonight (much better then Saturday)

I thought we gave great effort, but our guys have got to put the f'n ball in the f'n hoop. Watson and Palmer can't go 1-12 from 3 or 7-29 combined overall and expect us to win. I can't put much of this game on the coaches. And we need shot makers badly on this team. Amir Harris has yet to take a jump shot (unless I missed something this year). I love his athleticism, but that's about it right now. Tough to win when you don't have pure shooters. One could argue that 2 of our 3 best pure shooters are walk-on's (Costello and Trueblood). How does that happen? Once again, the bench gave us practically nothing in the score column (3 late by Thor). Hopefully a couple more practices will allow the staff to craft a good game plan for the remainder of the season with the latest lineup tweaks due to Cope's injury. I did like the energy Thor brought and would like to see him become the 6th man.

Edited by jason2486

4 minutes ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

I remember watching the Penn St game and just thinking something just isnt right. Something got a hold of these guys after Iowa and just hasnt let go. Really tragic to be honest. Reminds me a bit of the walkout boycott team in 96. Tons of talent then just went off the rails. 

I was telling a friend that this team reminds me of the 11-12 Illinois team with Meyers leonard. In doc's last year, we destroyed them in lincoln, and leonard was crying. They were really highly ranked early if I recall, then fell apart and weber was fired.

49 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

I was telling a friend that this team reminds me of the 11-12 Illinois team with Meyers leonard. In doc's last year, we destroyed them in lincoln, and leonard was crying. They were really highly ranked early if I recall, then fell apart and weber was fired.

I'm sorry for laughing at you, Leonard. I feel your pain.

Joseph kirstopherson.  I had to reset my pw to give my darn assumed opinion to you Dutch banks.

It was a mother fathering new situation tonight.  Cope was obviously our most efficient.  (And m à favorite.... how are you going to go down with a season ending injury like it's a mild cramp? Ballz)

We will win.  10 games.  Doesnt matter.  Try us in the big10 tournament.

Folks, "I cannot feeeeeeel  it" for the first time in my life.  But, stuff, how do you compare a frap to a shart?

I still say we will win.

4 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I'm just sick.

This year was supposed to be different. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel right now. They played much better tonight than they did vs. Rutgers and Ohio St. But they just didn't have enough tonight. I don't know what else to say...I'm just sick at how this has all gone down. They don't resemble the team that looked so good just a month ago...

Truth is we don't play well with expectations

7 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Almost feel it changed after the Maryland road loss...then snowballed after Iowa. Like they felt pressure to win every game and it just mounted.

Even though we won... I was at my first game in years on the Saturday after Christmas.  Even then we didn’t look “sharp” like we had prior to Christmas.  That’s when I first noticed something, but thought it might just be post Christmas hangover.

20 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Even though we won... I was at my first game in years on the Saturday after Christmas.  Even then we didn’t look “sharp” like we had prior to Christmas.  That’s when I first noticed something, but thought it might just be post Christmas hangover.

That's exactly right. We only had 21 points 14 minutes into the Southwest Minnesota State game. We just looked off from that point on. I'm not sure how much of that had to do with team illness which seemed to surface around that time too.

We played hard.  Roby completely outplayed Happ.  I thought he showed great leadership last night and I was really proud of him stepping up.  Tom was good in the first half.  

Watson was MIA and JPJ continued his inefficient hero ball offensively.  Nana continued his streak of worthless shooting.  We don’t have a chance when those things happen now that Cope is out.

I didn’t understand the wholesale subs.  There’s absolutely no reason to have 2-3 reserves in at the same time.  Having said this, until Nana can make a shot, Thor should get his minutes.  I thought TB was decent and BH had some decent defensive moments (and a couple of understandable lapses).   

I’m not sure what the solution is at this point.  Making a friggin shot is the difference.  I’d like to see Tom do what JPJ is doing because a lot more of his shots would go in.  

9 hours ago, ladyhusker said:

Maybe I'm unfeeling, but I have no sympathy for the players. This habit of missing bunnies has been around for a couple games now. That shouldn't have to be a coached skill at this level. Get your ass in the gym and give the extra 20 minutes to work on your deficiency in that, and then practice your free throws after that when you're tired. They played harder this game than the previous two, and that was nice to see (and yes, I think things VERY much changed on that horrible Davison flop call) but the skills that are killing is right now are things that really shouldn't need to be addressed in practice at this level. That falls on the players and if they want to succeed the way they say, they would be wise to put in the extra effort accordingly and until that happens, I personally think it's entirely appropriate to question their want-to.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lack of depth leads to no threat of losing your playing time. This was a special team with Jacobsen and Morrow still on it even as reserves. Tim just couldn't convince them how important they were to our success. Maybe he didn't believe they were

13 minutes ago, KnightHusker said:

Lack of depth leads to no threat of losing your playing time. This was a special team with Jacobsen and Morrow still on it even as reserves. Tim just couldn't convince them how important they were to our success. Maybe he didn't believe they were

You can only fault Jacobsen and Morrow for leaving as much as you can for Copeland, Palmer, et. al. for them leaving their old teams to play here.

What in the heck happened to Akenten's shot?  He's got one of the worst hitches mid-shot that I've seen.  It wasn't that bad earlier in the season, was it?

Credit the effort for coming back and taking the lead.

Such an incompetent call on that jackass Davison riding Tanner out of the lane.  The Stooge that made that call should never officiate again  - the call was that bad.  So obvious what that little shit did.  Definitely changed the momentum, but I don't really think the outcome would have been much different.  They would've rung Tanner up on some other BS call soon enough anyway.

The bottom line is, as many have previously mentioned, Nebraska simply has no one that can shoot.  Not much else really matters.

I doubt there are any more wins on the schedule unless they can pull an unlikely decent shooting performance out of their behinds.

Its one thing to miss shots (and we missed plenty),  but I was dumbfounded by Miles "strategy" down the stretch.  As we all know, NU managed to take a lead by 3 in the second half and if I recall correctly, it was still a close game with about 6-8 minutes left, and we all knew we absolutely could not let UW stretch out the lead.  So I was pleading, even yelling, for Miles to go to Hack-a-Happ. Happ is shooting 37% on FT in conference play.  He was 0-3 last night.  Miles made 2 massive blunders down the stretch of that game.

1.  When Tanner fouled out, he put in Brady.  Why?  Why not go small?  Play Watson, Allen, Thor, JPJ and Roby.  Brady was clearly outmatched in that game.  The smaller lineup could at least stretch out the defense a bit and give the offense the best chance to score.  Then, on defense, if the ball goes inside to Happ, just FOUL HIM.  We didn't need a big to guard their big, because our small could just foul every time Happ touched the ball (we had multiple players who had just 1 foul on the floor at the time.  This lineup blunder was compounded when Miles, out of a timeout, ran a play that apparently was designed to go to Brady under the hoop!  What?  The ball was passed in to Brady and Brady then promptly threw it away.  Turnover. What is going on?  Why is Miles running a play through Brady late in the game when the game is on the line and Roby is on the floor? 

2.  His second mistake plays off the above.  Miles should have gone to Hack-a-Happ with 6 to 8 minutes left in the game.  Especially when NU reached 6 fouls putting UW in the single bonus.  We could have had 3 straight possessions where we put Happ on the line for a 1-on-1 situation.  If he misses the first shot, it is essentially a turnover.  But no.  Instead, NU allowed UW to run significant clock and either (a) hit a 3 point shot which was an absolute killer in such a low scoring game, or (b) fouled one of UW's guards late in the shot clock!?!  What is going on here?  In fact, Miles never went to hack-a-Happ the entire game.  Even down 10 with 3 minutes to go, he could have fouled Happ every time down just to give NU a chance, but its almost like it never occurred to him or any of his assistants.  Really?!?  This is mind blowing. 

It is incredibly frustrating watching the players miss shots.  And watching JPJ take his hero shot 3s late in the game was tough.   But that is something that can happen to the best of players, let alone our guys.  Sometimes the ball just doesn't go in the hoop.  But watching a coach, who is payed $2.5M  fail to see and implement such basic and obvious strategies and lineups is unacceptable.  The coach has to give the players the best chance possible to win the game.  NU may still have lost, but Miles should not cripple them with such poor coaching decisions making it that much more difficult.

I have supported Miles.  Up to this point I have told everyone I talk to I think Miles should get an extension.  But with this collapse, and watching these types of massive coaching inadequacies, has me at wits end. 

Edited by NUdiehard

21 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Its one thing to miss shots (and we missed plenty),  but I was dumbfounded by Miles "strategy" down the stretch.  As we all know, NU managed to take a lead by 3 in then second half and if I recall correctly, it was still a close game with about 6-7 minutes left, and we all knew we absolutely could not let UW stretch out the lead.  So I was pleading, even yelling, for Miles to go to Hack-a-Happ. Happ is shooting 37% on FT in conference play.  He was 0-3 last night.  Miles made 2 massive blunders down the stretch of that game.

1.  When Tanner fouled out, he put it Brady.  Why?  Why not go small?  Play Watson, Allen, Thor, JPJ and Roby.  Brady was clearly outmatched in that game.  The smaller lineup could at least stretch out the defense a bit and give the offense the best chance to score.  Then, on defense, if the ball goes inside to Happ, just FOUL HIM.  We didn't need a big to guard their big, because our small could just foul every time Happ touched the ball (we had multiple players who had just 1 foul on the floor at the time.  This lineup blunder was compounded when Miles, out of a timeout, ran a play that apparently was designed to go to Brady under the hoop!  What?  The ball was passed in to Brady and Brady then promptly threw it away.  Turnover. What is going on?  Why is Miles running a play through Brady late in the game when the game is on the line and Roby is on the floor? 

2.  His second mistake plays off the above.  Miles should have gone to Hack-a-Happ with 6 or 7 minutes left in the game.  Especially when NU reached 6 fouls putting UW in the single bonus.  We could have had 3 straight possessions where we put Happ on the line for a 1-on-1 situation.  If he misses the first shot, it is essentially a turnover.  But no.  Instead, NU allowed UW to run significant clock and either (a) hit a 3 point shot which was an absolute killer in such a low scoring game, or (b) fouled one of UW's guards late in the shot clock!?!  What is going on here?  In fact, Miles never went to hack-a-Happ the entire game.  Even down 10 with 3 minutes to go, he could have fouled Happ every time down just to give NU a chance, but its almost like it never occurred to him or any of his assistants.  Really?!?  This is mind blowing. 

It is incredibly frustrating watching the players miss shots.  And watching JPJ take his hero shot 3s late in the game was tough.   But that is something that can happen to the best of players, let alone our guys.  Sometimes the ball just doesn't go in the hoop.  But watching a coach, who is payed $2.5M  fail to see and implement such basic and obvious strategies and lineups is unacceptable.  The coach has to give the players the best chance possible to win the game.  NU may still have lost, but Miles should not cripple them with such poor coaching decisions making it that much more difficult.

I have supported Miles.  Up to this point I have told everyone I talk to I think Miles should get an extension.  But with this collapse, and watching these types of massive coaching inadequacies, has me at wits end. 

I was thinking same thing on fouling Happ. Gard's response to that strategy would've been interesting. Great point on the small line-up. It would've opened up the middle for driving lanes also when Huskers had the ball. As for Thor he was like the one guy that shows up at city league games and just runs and runs and runs with no apparent purpose and is kind of a pain in the rear. But Thor actually hustled with a purpose. His movement at the top of the 1-3-1 was fun to watch. And it's nice to see him pass and make a hard cut to the basket.