Who best knows Nebraska basketball

KnightHusker

I recall when Dave Van Horn was hired as baseball coach one of the athletic departments best hires they started with a solid search committee. Names for the next coach have been thrown around but taking a step back if you had the responsibility of making this hire who would you consult with before bringing in your final candidates.

ADs with Moos' tenure and length of tooth invariably have a significant network of confidants. Search committees are often involuntary---a lot of universities require them for hiring--so for us it would be voluntary. But consultants ring up a helluva bill and still get it wrong as much as anyone else.Ā 

Ā 

I think we're largely stuck with playing 'hot hand roulette' for mid major coaches because of our thin recruiting area and near total lack of prominent tradition. Everyone knows Nebrasketball is a project. We've had 3 solid coaches fail in a combined 17 or 18 years. That's dreadful. And that's going to scare the really hot mid major coaches off. Remember when Miles was hired? Everyone wanted Groce (hahahaha!) or Smart or some other slightly more desirable candidate. No takers. We're going to get turned down by more candidates than we intrigue.Ā 

Ā 

This job is somewhat unique in that regard. I think it requires an extrovert, a really good tactical coach, a first rate teacher, a superb psychologist (for all those fringe talented recruits with great bodies but 5 cent heads), and a masochist who prefers the challenge to success probabilities. That's a helluva lot to ask for wrapped in one body.Ā 

Ā 

It has to be a hungry coach--which is why I don't think a retread is a fit, unless it's a retread on a face-saving mission like Howland or Pearl.Ā 

Ā 

Honestly, I think we just roll the dice again as we always have. Because we mostly won't have a choice.Ā 

Edited by tcp

Just now, KnightHusker said:

One local consideration would be Bruce Chubick a former player from a successful era and involved in Nebraska high school basketball.

Ā 

Not even remotely a chance. This isn't about hiring your uncle. This job is massive. It'll require something much bigger than Chubs, much as we love him.Ā 

There are three former players that I would consider being part of the process; Beau Reid, Dave Hoppen and Andy Markowski.Ā  All three would understand Nebraska and all three have unique backgrounds that could assist the process.Ā  But here is the deal, I surmise that at least two of those three would have been in strong support in the hiring of Coach Miles.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Another possible person to consider on that committee would be Pike.

There are three former players that I would consider being part of the process; Beau Reid, Dave Hoppen and Andy Markowski.Ā  All three would understand Nebraska and all three have unique backgrounds that could assist the process.Ā  But here is the deal, I surmise that at least two of those three would have been in strong support in the hiring of Coach Miles.Ā Ā 
Ā 
Another possible person to consider on that committee would be Pike.
You don't think Strickland qualifies? I would think he would be glad to get involved.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

You don't think Strickland qualifies? I would think he would be glad to get involved.

I am not even sure where Strick is these days or what he is doing.Ā  Last I heard he was at a high-end auto dealership in Dallas.Ā  That said, the reason I did not include him is that he hasn't really been close to the program in the recent past.Ā  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Huskerpapa

38 minutes ago, PimpMario said:
4 hours ago, Bighusker20 said:

I would consult with Tom

Os orne because he has been around Nebraska a lot. He knows what it takes to win here

Ā 

So why did he hire Miles then?

Ā ļ»æļ»æ

I get what you're saying, and certainly ļ»ætalk with him, but his track record is what it is.ļ»æ

Ā 

Because of timing.

Ā 

https://www.cornnation.com/2017/3/28/15092562/nebraska-huskers-basketball-tom-osborne-why-not-dana-altman-tim-miles

I'm probably going to take heat for this, but if you want to know how to build a real basketball program, then go outside.

People who know Nebraska basketball don't know winning on a high level. So maybe put someone on a committee as a courtesy, but otherwise, find somebody who understands how to win.

Ā 

Regardless of who they talk too, they better prepare to be unlike ourselves if we want this work.Ā  Ā That means either backing up the truck for someone, or taking a chance on maybe someone with baggage.Ā  Ā If they are serious about winning they will do one (if not both) the two things above.Ā  Ā If they are more interested in just being a filler between fall and spring football....they will just do what they've always done

6 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I'm probably going to take heat for this, but if you want to know how to build a real basketball program, then go outside.

People who know Nebraska basketball don't know winning on a high level. So maybe put someone on a committee as a courtesy, but otherwise, find somebody who understands how to win.

Ā 

If they would answer honestly, I would ask: Chris Beard, Bo Ryan, Fred Hoiberg what traits they would they would look for the be successful at Nebraska.Ā 

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

Regardless of who they talk too, they better prepare to be unlike ourselves if we want this work.Ā  Ā That means either backing up the truck for someone, or taking a chance on maybe someone with baggage.Ā  Ā If they are serious about winning they will do one (if not both) the two things above.Ā  Ā If they are more interested in just being a filler between fall and spring football....they will just do what they've always done

Back up the truck, hire the guy with the baggage, put some of the truck money in the baggage and go get yourself a team.

Ā 

What's the worst that could happen? We have to "vacate" an actual championship? We'll still have the t-shirts, the videos, the memories. Think anybody in Louisville is lamenting having to vacate a title? Hell no.

Ā 

1 minute ago, jayschool said:

Back up the truck, hire the guy with the baggage, put some of the truck money in the baggage and go get yourself a team.

Ā 

What's the worst that could happen? We have to "vacate" an actual championship? We'll still have the t-shirts, the videos, the memories. Think anybody in Louisville is lamenting having to vacate a title? Hell no.

Ā 

Exactly

5 hours ago, Bighusker20 said:

I would consult with Tom

Os orne because he has been around Nebraska a lot. He knows what it takes to win here

Ā 

5 hours ago, Bighusker20 said:

I would consult with Tom

Didnā€™t hire the current guy?

12 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Ā 

Ā 

Couldn't agree any more with this. Nobody associated with the program knows about winning. In a situation like this I hope that Moos does use a search firm. I could care less how much money it cost because the University has the money to spend and the program NEEDS to get a basketball coaching hire right.Ā 

Ā 

Using a search firm would allow coaches who are currently coaching to get contacted through third parties and gauge interest behind the scenes. That way we could get a feel for who really is interested in the job.Ā 

Can someone in the know explain to me where all our money is and where it came from?Ā  I know we get money from various Big Ten sources, TV deals, butts in the seats and so forth.Ā  But a large chunk of our money comes from boosters, correct?Ā  I have heard a fair bit of chirping from boosters who are growing tired of where some of their money is going and/or how it is being spent.Ā  Buying out contracts seems to be an ongoing bottomless pit and we are making a significant amount of upgrades on our venues and the like.

Ā 

When we "the fans" talk about having loads of cash, we should also understand where that cash comes from and where it is intended to go.Ā  I remember talking to a friend a number of years ago that had been giving a pretty good chunk of change to the athletic department.Ā  He told them that he wanted his donation to go to specific places within the program.Ā  He was told that would not happen.Ā  He then decided to no longer donate that healthy chunk of change.

Ā 

I guess what I am getting at is that money doesn't grow on trees.Ā  Spending has to be prudent and most boosters want their dollars to be spent wisely with good return on that donation.Ā Ā 

Ā 

We need to be a little careful what we are wishing for, it may be like a kid at Christmas who wished for a pony, and when he opened his presents, received a stuffed pony.

28 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I remember talking to a friend a number of years ago that had been giving a pretty good chunk of change to the athletic department.Ā  He told them that he wanted his donation to go to specific places within the program.Ā  He was told that would not happen.Ā 

A lot of schools and churches do that. And the reason NU does it is that almost everyone would just donate to football.Ā 

Ā 

Regarding where the money will come from for a new coach, well, that's how you counter the comment everyone hates: we're a football school. If we can't come up with the money to bring somebody like Matta or Pitino (not pushing them, just examples) even though we haven't won a conference title since 1950 or whatever and have never won an NCAA game, then we're a football school. If you want to roll the dice one more time on the flavor-of-the-month midmajor coach who won a game in March, well, it might work this time. But jeez, what does it take for people to develop some urgency about the hoops program?Ā