Jump to content
Nebrasketballer

Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, avfan2121 said:

If you're going to go after a Power 5 assistant, I would try getting from within the Big Ten. Don't actually know his coaching abilities, but a guy like Dwayne Stephens. Has been with Izzo for 16 years. Would think he would have learned something from him. Would already have familiarity with the B1G. Never know if guys like that want to take a gamble and leave though.

Luka yalich fits this bill. Although I don't think beilin let's him go 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jason2486 said:

I'm just so worried we go for another hot mid-major hire. I mean, look at our track record since the beginning of time. I worry in 5-7 more years, we'll be having this discussion again. I love Miles, although I get very frustrated a lot of the time. I honestly don't know what the best thing to do is at this point. I can see reasons for him being relieved of his duties or having his contract extended.

I'm in the same boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KnightHusker said:

Wisconsin got it started with Bo Ryan from a state college so if we follow that formula we should hire the best state college coach would that be Beranek at UNK?

Beranek is at Kearney High. Kevin Lofton is current UNK coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

He is a hell of a coach(I don’t think he comes here) however he has both NBA,CBA, and international experience. Was also said to be one of the best teachers in the CBA at one time. When comparing Nevada to Nebraska I would think your looking at similar recruiting situations do too a point transfers are necessary to create a good product 

If it is him I will trust it as he has taken a school like Nevada to amazing places.  There aren’t many others that could be that succcessfull with that drastic of a transfer oriented product.  The other way is more stable and that is finding s guy that is great player developer and x o guy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Just saying...

 

Sebastian The Little Mermaid GIF - Sebastian TheLittleMermaid Disney GIFs

 

When you have the worst history in the P5, than yes, the grass is always Greener.

 

So what are you just saying?  That we should accept that we will always be the worst historically and not desire to get better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

 

When you have the worst history in the P5, than yes, the grass is always Greener.

 

So what are you just saying?  That we should accept that we will always be the worst historically and not desire to get better?

To be more precise, we're not the worst P5 (or P6) team in terms of overall winning percentage, just in NCAA Tournament winning percentage. From the old Big 8 alone, we have a better all-time win percentage than both Colorado and Iowa State. In the Big Ten, we have a better winning percentage than Northwestern and Rutgers. Here's the list of Power 6 teams who have the same or worse overall winning percentage than Nebraska (.527):

  • Baylor (.496)
  • Clemson (.505)
  • Colorado (.520)
  • Georgia (.522)
  • Georgia Tech (.527)
  • Iowa State (.509)
  • Mississippi (.500)
  • Northwestern (.419)
  • Rutgers (.507)
  • TCU (.466)
  • Washington State (.512)

So let's not pound people with the "We're the worst ever" line because it's true only in a narrow sense of the game, and it tends to diminish the successful seasons we've had, both before and after the advent of the 64- to 68-team NCAA Tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jayschool said:

To be more precise, we're not the worst P5 (or P6) team in terms of overall winning percentage, just in NCAA Tournament winning percentage. From the old Big 8 alone, we have a better all-time win percentage than both Colorado and Iowa State. In the Big Ten, we have a better winning percentage than Northwestern and Rutgers. Here's the list of Power 6 teams who have the same or worse overall winning percentage than Nebraska (.527):

  • Baylor (.496)
  • Clemson (.505)
  • Colorado (.520)
  • Georgia (.522)
  • Georgia Tech (.527)
  • Iowa State (.509)
  • Mississippi (.500)
  • Northwestern (.419)
  • Rutgers (.507)
  • TCU (.466)
  • Washington State (.512)

So let's not pound people with the "We're the worst ever" line because it's true only in a narrow sense of the game, and it tends to diminish the successful seasons we've had, both before and after the advent of the 64- to 68-team NCAA Tournament.

 

So we're only the TWELFTH worst team ever?! Woo hoo!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please No on SDST guy 

I like Muss but people would not like his show so he would have to win a lot and fast. Lot of hero ball offense as well but he gets dudes

if Buzz Williams is really unhappy at Va tech he would be worth the effort.

just hate this, it will be a crap shoot and we are cursed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I'd take Craig Smith as our next head coach in a heartbeat!!!

Because we know as a fact he would be better than Coach Miles?  If we fire his friend and mentor, do you really believe he would want to come here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To make a point I already made on a different thread, I patiently waited through 51 years of bad baseball and had prepared to accept the fact that I would never live to see a Red Sox World Series win. Suddenly in 2004, it came out of nowhere to my huge surprise. Since then I have seen three more, and last year they won 119 games! So you never know what sporting life, and life in general, may yet hold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

To make a point I already made on a different thread, I patiently waited through 51 years of bad baseball and had prepared to accept the fact that I would never live to see a Red Sox World Series win. Suddenly in 2004, it came out of nowhere to my huge surprise. Since then I have seen three more, and last year they won 119 games! So you never know what sporting life, and life in general, may yet hold. 

Agreed, and as a life-long Cubbies fan, I waited even longer for a Cubs World Series championship.  It can happen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bugeaters1 said:

That's better than being the worst.

 

Spoken like a true Nebrasketball fan with a loser mentality. Seriously? "Better than being the worst"? Man. Maybe we deserve to be awful.

Don't any of you want more?! Smh...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this gets long but decided to do some research after jayschool provided some good history on records. I started listening to Nebraska basketball on a radio in my parents kitchen when Jerry Fort was the star. And I also remember some Nebraska teams that had pretty good seasons back then but the "Never Won An NCAA Tourney Game" mantra wan nowhere to be heard. So I only went back to the 1965-66 season because from what I found was there were very few successful seasons for Nebraska basketball before then. And those were 1)  1st place in the Big 6 in 1936-37 in which I have no doubt there would've been an NCAA tourney bid/win but the NCAA tourney didn't start until 1939. 2) Tied for 1st place in Big 7  in 1948-49 and NU lost in NCAA District game to Oklahoma St. 3) Tied for 1st place in Big 7 in 1949-50 but was 3-way tie and probably had committee member with a bias. :)

So now listed is what I consider successful seasons followed by where they finished in conference and how many teams made the NCAA tourney that year. The reason for showing how many teams made the tourney was to show how close Nebraska was to possibly making the Big Dance.

1965-66    2nd       22-25 (not sure why there wasn't set number)

1966-67   T2nd     22-25   NIT

1967-68   T3rd      22-25

1969-70   T3rd      25

1973-74   4th        25

1974-75   4th        32

1975-76   3rd        32

1977-78   2nd       32        NIT

1979-80   T2nd     40        NIT

1980-81   T2nd     48

1982-83   T3rd      52        NIT semi-finalist

1983-84    3rd       53        NIT

1985-86    3rd       64        NCAA!!!!!

1986-87    5th       64        NIT 3rd place

***1987-88 first losing season in 15, yes 15 years, damn those fans were spoiled back then***

1990-91    3rd      64         NCAA

1991-92    5th      64         NCAA

1992-93    T2nd  64         NCAA

1993-94    4th      64        NCAA

1994-95    7th      64        NIT

1995-96    7th      64        NIT Champ

1996-97    7th      64        NIT          First year of Big 12

1997-98    4th      64        NIT

1998-99    5th      64        NIT

2003-04    9th      65        NIT

2005-06    6th      65        NIT

2007-08    T7th    65       NIT

2008-09    8th      65       NIT

2010-11    7th      68       NIT

2013-14    4th      68       NIT          Member of Big 10

2017-18    4th      68      NIT

And maybe it isn't so much in the last 15 years but those teams that finished 2nd or 3rd in the Big 8 back in late 70's early 80's when the tournament doubled expansion Nebraska should've been in. And with that "NWANTG" wouldn't be such a heavy burden. But it sure makes a person think and wonder what the selection process was at that time. If I get crazy I may look up those old brackets and complain to a now probably dead bracketologist from that time.

And what else should a guy do with his time when it's too cold to work outside.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rr52 said:

[T]hose teams that finished 2nd or 3rd in the Big 8 back in late 70's early 80's when the tournament doubled expansion Nebraska should've been in. And with that "NWANTG" wouldn't be such a heavy burden. But it sure makes a person think and wonder what the selection process was at that time.

 

Love the post, but lamenting about the selection process and "we would have won a game that year" really doesn't hold much merit when every other power conference team has won a NCAA Tournament game in that same period of time. LITERALLY EVERY OTHER SCHOOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

 

Love the post, but lamenting about the selection process and "we would have won a game that year" really doesn't hold much merit when every other power conference team has won a NCAA Tournament game in that same period of time. LITERALLY EVERY OTHER SCHOOL.

It was pretty much posted for fun but to also show that this program has had some good times. Most of the uniformed social media naysayers (Think Bo Pelini coined the term) nowadays  look at this program as worthless in every sense of the word and don't realize in the history of the program that some pretty good teams and players have taken the court at The Coliseum, The Bob and now The Vault. And I'm guessing next September/October, and by no means am I covering this team with dirt, but there will be a positive vibe and hope for the future from 90% if not more of the posters. I'm not giving up this team. They still deserve our support and I will show up in my seat and cheer for them and holler at the officials like we are a lock for the NCAA tourney.

My only frustration was missing out on the free Valentino's pizza last night by 1 row. 

Edited by rr52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rr52 said:

It was pretty much posted for fun but to also show that this program has had some good times. Most of the uniformed social media naysayers (Think Bo Pelini coined the term) nowadays  look at this program as worthless in every sense of the word and don't realize in the history of the program that some pretty good teams and players have taken the court at The Coliseum, The Bob and now The Vault. And I'm guessing next September/October, and by no means am I covering this team with dirt, but there will be a positive vibe and hope for the future from 90% if not more of the posters. I'm not giving up this team. They still deserve our support and I will show up in my seat and cheer for them and holler at the officials like we are a lock for the NCAA tourney.

 

I totally understand the purpose of your post. My point is that literally every major program in the country has also had pretty good teams, too. It's fun to reminisce, but personally, it's just tough for me to take solace in those memories when we are the only school - THE ONLY ONE - to have never won a tournament game. It is truly mind boggling that none of the good teams you listed have ever won a tournament game. It's embarrassing. I know that's not the "end all, be all" measurement of a program, but when you're the LAST ONE still waiting for it, it just hurts even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...