Jump to content
Nebrasketballer

Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

 

Sure but his foundation is transfers and grad transfers.

 

You act as if recruiting to Nevada is the same as recruiting to power 5 school.  If a coach has the "it factor" which I believe he does, then he will figure out what needs to be done here.  If it is transfers it is fine if the coach knows what he is doing, but it is a tough route to sustain consistency.  And Nevada won't sustain that level of success either.  They nailed the perfect recipe, similar to how we did.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Huskerone said:

We've gone down this road before.  If we want the recruits coming in to stay, retain coach Miles.  Move on from coach Miles, the kids need to do whats best for them and their life.  The new coach will get his recruits.  It will be a rebuild.  By year 4 we should be really good, right? pff 

 

But we haven't ever been really good under Miles.  What exactly are you advocating?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, royalfan said:

 

Because he is a hell of a coach.  

He is a hell of a coach(I don’t think he comes here) however he has both NBA,CBA, and international experience. Was also said to be one of the best teachers in the CBA at one time. When comparing Nevada to Nebraska I would think your looking at similar recruiting situations do too a point transfers are necessary to create a good product 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wojo is my dream pick with his up tempo offense

Scott Drew (if others are truly suggesting Pitino and Sampson, why not throw Drew in there)

Dan Marjele kind of a longshot, but he created a winning program and draws recruits from everywhere. 

 

GENERALLY, with the lack of size and quality basketball players in the area, we need someone who plays an up tempo style that players will like to play, making recruiting easier. WIth the slowdown "defensive" tactics utilized by out current coach and previous two, its time to open up the game. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

If you can't get Hoiberg, get the closest thing? 

 

We could do worse....he is a hell of a recruiter.

With just 3 years as a head coach, with Daum already on the roster. He might be terrific, but like Miles when he was named, there's not a proven track record of winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just so worried we go for another hot mid-major hire. I mean, look at our track record since the beginning of time. I worry in 5-7 more years, we'll be having this discussion again. I love Miles, although I get very frustrated a lot of the time. I honestly don't know what the best thing to do is at this point. I can see reasons for him being relieved of his duties or having his contract extended.

Edited by jason2486

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a friend who occasionally golfs with one of Hoibergs relatives around Grand Island and this topic has come up. And he says that Fred isn't interested in coaching at Nebraska. Whether this is true or not I'm don't know but sometimes money can change a persons mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

With just 3 years as a head coach, with Daum already on the roster. He might be terrific, but like Miles when he was named, there's not a proven track record of winning.

Isn’t his track record already better than miles? Multiple summit league championships? Multiple NCAA trips? A background as a good recruiter at Iowa state? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, thriller said:

Wojo is my dream pick with his up tempo offense

Scott Drew (if others are truly suggesting Pitino and Sampson, why not throw Drew in there)

Dan Marjele kind of a longshot, but he created a winning program and draws recruits from everywhere. 

 

GENERALLY, with the lack of size and quality basketball players in the area, we need someone who plays an up tempo style that players will like to play, making recruiting easier. WIth the slowdown "defensive" tactics utilized by out current coach and previous two, its time to open up the game. 

 

 

Wojo is in fact a dream. He's got a team in a fertile recruiting area with a new arena and an established bball history. You're not leaving that for this. 

 

I am, however, on the assistant from Duke train. I want Jon Scheyer. Take a young, energetic coach that's learned from the best for 4 years and let him build something. Plus his recruiting connections in the Carolina's of the world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

 

I am, however, on the assistant from Duke train. I want Jon Scheyer. Take a young, energetic coach that's learned from the best for 4 years and let him build something. Plus his recruiting connections in the Carolina's of the world. 

It doesn’t sound like something we would ever do but I love the sound of it. He would be cheap plus have a limitless ceiling. Not to mention his likely ability to recruit Illinois well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

I am, however, on the assistant from Duke train. I want Jon Scheyer. Take a young, energetic coach that's learned from the best for 4 years and let him build something. Plus his recruiting connections in the Carolina's of the world. 

 

Regardless of what happens I find reading about people's thoughts about assistants from Power 5 programs much more interesting than hearing about the same 5 guys ad nauseam or throwing out guys where about 5 minutes more research than their current winning percentage and salary would show why it wouldn't or shouldn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

 

Regardless of what happens I find reading about people's thoughts about assistants from Power 5 programs much more interesting than hearing about the same 5 guys ad nauseam or throwing out guys where about 5 minutes more research than their current winning percentage and salary would show why it wouldn't or shouldn't happen.

 

I originally favored Johnny Dawkins out of UCF, another former Duke associate head coach, but his track record at Stanford and UCF is pretty bland (minus his one Sweet 16 run with the Cardinal and the great year he's having this year). There's just something about having a young coach like Scheyer that a lot of people still remember from those Duke teams in the late 2000's that intrigues me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

With just 3 years as a head coach, with Daum already on the roster. He might be terrific, but like Miles when he was named, there's not a proven track record of winning.

It's certainly a risk. At the same time we're Nebraska and probably will never get the sure thing that we all want.

 

His background does differ from Miles in a way though, Miles was "The Program Builder" he had spent his entire career trying to build up difficult programs at every level.

 

TJ was the recruiting engine that got huge talent like Brackins and Niang to ISU as well as being very involved with their scouting and drawing up plays. His intrigue to me stems from the fact that what we're trying to accomplish isn't too far off from what those ISU teams accomplished when he was there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're going to go after a Power 5 assistant, I would try getting from within the Big Ten. Don't actually know his coaching abilities, but a guy like Dwayne Stephens. Has been with Izzo for 16 years. Would think he would have learned something from him. Would already have familiarity with the B1G. Never know if guys like that want to take a gamble and leave though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

It's certainly a risk. At the same time we're Nebraska and probably will never get the sure thing that we all want.

 

Not to be all "the sky is falling," but what little advantage we have in certain aspects of recruiting, that time is also running out. Our facilities are almost half a decade old and only getting older. That new car smell is going to turn into a faint musk at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...