Jump to content

Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, nustudent said:

I'd argue big man recruiting has been worse.  We've recruited some guys who can make shots   We haven't recruited big men.   I'd also argue that the lack of a legit post makes it more difficult for our guards/wings to hit shots.

 

Not saying we are a great shooting team...but our issues have as much to do with ahot selection and offensive sets as it does anything else.   When you don't get good looks, you are going to shoot a lower percentage.

 

I will add that we don't get good rhythm shot opportunities like other teams, and when we do, our guys hesitate, pump fake, or dribble nowhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a need to reiterate the fact that Coach Miles IS a good coach.  He would not have worked up to this level in the business if he was not a good coach.  He was in fact, coach of the year just a

A long time ago, I used to watch every game and soak up every word the talking heads said, every point, all the analysis, all their expert opinions, all their insider insights, all their unnamed sourc

I just hope the next coach, whoever it is, works as hard through adversity as Tim Miles does.   The writing has been on the wall for awhile.  It would have been easy to just cash in his chip

Posted Images

5 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Kenya spent 6 years at GTown and left saying these switches are needed to move up into a HC position. He then spent 6 years at Nebraska and left saying these switches are needed to move up into a HC position. I honestly think he really wants to be a head coach and is doing what he thinks can get him a gig. Also he must of taken some advice literally if someone to him to spend no more than 6 years at one school. 

Craig Smith has two HC jobs since being here.  He has Utah State as one of the last teams in according to bracketmatrix.  A power 5 school might take a chance on him.  I don't think Hunter moving to UConn is going to get him a HC job.  I think he is trying to get a big time gig, or 1 on the East Coast. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jason2486 said:

 

I will add that we don't get good rhythm shot opportunities like other teams, and when we do, our guys hesitate, pump fake, or dribble nowhere.

 

Woof, Roby's side dribble every freakin' time is driving me batty. He'll hesitate at the three-point line nearly every time, too. He'll drive to the basket and lose the ball quite regularly. It's like the Benny Hill theme song at times. Or, maybe a short snippet on Shaqtin-A-Fool, perhaps. #sheesh

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

 

Hoiberg is not coming from what I’ve heard. I’ve heard Bobby Hurley’s name though. We are going to shell out some money if we get our man.

 

Bobby Hurley just signed a 5 year extension and it would cost anyone 3 mil to buy him out of that contact. I think he's making 2.1 with all sorts of bonuses including retention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bb33ch said:
16 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Maybe we should look at the Wofford Coach?   Miles didn’t seem to have any answers after tonight’s game.  

Yes because hiring the mid major coach has really worked out well the last 20 years

 

I haven't won the lottery either, but it doesn't mean there's isn't a winning ticket out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

 

I haven't won the lottery either, but it doesn't mean there's isn't a winning ticket out there.

Right, I just think we need to try something new. And there are a few mid major guys i wouldn’t mind being hired like the South Dakota St coach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Maybe we should look at the Wofford Coach?   Miles didn’t seem to have any answers after tonight’s game.  

The Wofford coach has been there for like 20 years. Maybe that is what we need to give whomever the coach is.... Time. Unfortunately, I don't think our fan base is patient enough

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

 

I would rather keep Tim than hire Otzelberger.

 

What's your reasoning? You want to talk about building relationships and not having to worry about players transferring every off-season? Otzelberger was able to keep freakin Mike Daum from transferring literally anywhere he wanted if he chose to. And he's got a great offensive mind. I think it'd be a solid hire. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

 

What's your reasoning? You want to talk about building relationships and not having to worry about players transferring every off-season? Otzelberger was able to keep freakin Mike Daum from transferring literally anywhere he wanted if he chose to. And he's got a great offensive mind. I think it'd be a solid hire. 

 

Not every player has the commitment level of Daum though.  You have to factor that in.  Daum is a good kid who said from the beginning he was staying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

 

Not every player has the commitment level of Daum though.  You have to factor that in.  Daum is a good kid who said from the beginning he was staying.

 

Otzelberger would also more than likely bring David Jenkins with him, who is a freaking stud and 3 point machine. I know I'm in the minority on this board and respect anyone disagreeing if they're eyes are totally set on Hoiberg or Matta or whoever, but I think it'd be a solid hire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

 

Otzelberger would also more than likely bring David Jenkins with him, who is a freaking stud and 3 point machine. I know I'm in the minority on this board and respect anyone disagreeing if they're eyes are totally set on Hoiberg or Matta or whoever, but I think it'd be a solid hire.

 

1.) He's always had an All-American on his roster as a head coach

2.) His success as an assistant at Iowa State is greatly overstated. He was lucky to be on a staff with a great head coach. Doesn't always translate to success as a head coach himself at a big time program. This is why I also don't like the idea of bringing in a Duke assistant. We need someone who has done it at this level before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

 

1.) He's always had an All-American on his roster as a head coach

2.) His success as an assistant at Iowa State is greatly overstated. He was lucky to be on a staff with a great head coach. Doesn't always translate to success as a head coach himself at a big time program. This is why I also don't like the idea of bringing in a Duke assistant. We need someone who has done it at this level before.

He was at ISU not under just one, but 3 head coaches. McDermott, Hoiberg, and Prohm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i've spoken to people that have worked for coaching search firms.

 

according to them, one of lincoln's biggest selling points is that it's a safe place to raise a family.

 

obviously money is a big factor. but if the coach isn't currently raising a family, lincoln isn't a very attractive destination to coach/live.

 

if you believe this, it's going to be very difficult to get someone like hoiberg, alford, matta who already have adult kids and are financially well off.

 

callahan, pelini, frost, sadler, miles all had young kids when they took the job and moved to lincoln.  riley being the exception. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 4:34 PM, hhcmatt said:

 

If Bavada started up a line on future Nebraska coaches and I gambled, this is the one I'd bet on.

I don't know if this has been discussed but both Mark Turgeon and Tad Boyle were assistant coaches at Oregon during the Moos tenure there.  Wonder if there was much of  a relationship built .  I know that Boyle is from Colorado and considered the Buffs to be his dream job but the natives are restless there.  He has taken Colorado to 4 NCAA tournaments and 2 NIT's in 8 full seasons.  They will be going to post season again this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, HoiBall said:

 

2.) His success as an assistant at Iowa State is greatly overstated. He was lucky to be on a staff with a great head coach. Doesn't always translate to success as a head coach himself at a big time program. This is why I also don't like the idea of bringing in a Duke assistant. We need someone who has done it at this level before.

Isn’t he regarded as the lead recruiter for most of the players during the hoiberg years there? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

 

I haven't won the lottery either, but it doesn't mean there's isn't a winning ticket out there.

I would hope the expectation or confidence in hiring a next head coach that can win one tournament game has higher odds than a winning lottery ticket. But, alas, I have been following this team greater than three decades so I can understand this sentiment ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...