Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

Really?

Yeah, there are.  I have visited with a number of Husker fans who believe Coach Miles is a good fit, but has had bad luck.  They are also afraid of starting over and not knowing what is around the corner.  You always will hear from the vocal group, but remember there is a silent group out there as well.  There is a saying akin to the vocal minority versus the silent majority.  I am not going to assume that is the case here, but everybody should not assume there isn't some validity to the statement.

3 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Welcome to the site. 

Steve is from a little berg in Iowa.  I think his home town is Lone Tree and I believe he is the same age as Coach Miles.  Not sure he is a perfect fit, but then again, I am not sure who is a perfect fit. 

Pretty sure he got his coaching start at Southwest CC in Creston. In no way lobbying, just another name to add to the laundry list. 

5 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Yeah, there are.  I have visited with a number of Husker fans who believe Coach Miles is a good fit, but has had bad luck.  They are also afraid of starting over and not knowing what is around the corner.  You always will hear from the vocal group, but remember there is a silent group out there as well.  There is a saying akin to the vocal minority versus the silent majority.  I am not going to assume that is the case here, but everybody should not assume there isn't some validity to the statement.

I've talked to a lot of people on line and off and, unless they're personally connected to the program, I haven't heard this once...

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

I've talked to a lot of people on line and off and, unless they're personally connected to the program, I haven't heard this once...

So, you are saying there isn't a number of fans who would want Coach Miles retained?  I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

2 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

So, you are saying there isn't a number of fans who would want Coach Miles retained?  I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Want, maybe. But that's different than should. I've met a lot of people that like him and would have liked it to work out. I haven't had anyone say he should be retained since the losing streak. Everyone knows the deal, though, but no, I haven't really encountered anyone that say he should be retained in a while now. Not saying they don't exist, but I think at this point, I think most people know the deal.

7 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Want, maybe. But that's different than should. I've met a lot of people that like him and would have liked it to work out. I haven't had anyone say he should be retained since the losing streak. Everyone knows the deal, though, but no, I haven't really encountered anyone that say he should be retained in a while now. Not saying they don't exist, but I think at this point, I think most people know the deal.

I am not convinced that he shouldn't be retained.  I understand the responsibilities and accountability that a head coach has.  I also understand and agree the program isn't where it is expected to be.  I also understand that there have been holes and issues with the retention of front court players.  But I believe that recent issues have been compounded by the lack of administrative support and the moving puzzle pieces that exist.  

If Coach Miles is jettisoned, I will understand it and support the next coach.  But I would be fine with a retention decision.  The likelihood of that is remote to say the least.

58 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I know people who say exactly that. They like Miles, he just needs support, they don't want to start over, nobody wants to come here  ....

Most of them are older and don't like the rabble dictating what the program does. I don't agree with them but respect their views, with the exception that they don't realize how much crowds will shrink next year. We've been filling the seats on expectations the last few years. Take those expectations away (nobody sees Miles getting to the NCAA next year) and people will find excuses not to go to games. 

9 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I know people who say exactly that. They like Miles, he just needs support, they don't want to start over, nobody wants to come here  ....

Most of them are older and don't like the rabble dictating what the program does. I don't agree with them but respect their views, with the exception that they don't realize how much crowds will shrink next year. We've been filling the seats on expectations the last few years. Take those expectations away (nobody sees Miles getting to the NCAA next year) and people will find excuses not to go to games. 

Less crowd means I... er they might not have to leave at the 3:45 mark.?

Edited by Silverbacked1

43 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

And this is when ADs start feeling heat. PBA complicates any laissez faire approach because of the imperative of maintaining attendance. That anticipation of a substantial attendance drop alone will seal Miles' fate (as it partially did Docs). Any new coach will probably keep seats largely sold for at least two more seasons. 

Miles still has a fan base here, but they aren't going to crawl over the wire for him. His detractors, as we saw from the gracious and eloquent Mr Hawks, can make the volcano erupt. 

18 minutes ago, Haymarket Husker said:

Then you haven't been paying attention. 

I have been paying close attention. If Bounds micromanges this much we have one screwed up university.  Just because he was in the middle of football doesn't mean he is involved in basketball.  The man is paid a half million a year to run the university of Nebraska not UNL

5 hours ago, Chiefs Kingdom said:

Hello folks, as you can see I'm new here, and holy cannoli this thread is a mammoth. Got a text from a friend who lives in Kentucky a few days back saying Nebraska should look at this guy if Miles is let go. I know just about nobody wants to discuss mid major coaches but one name that I wouldn't be surprised if we took a long hard look at is Steve Forbes at East Tennessee State. He's risen through the ranks of coaching rather quickly, was an assistant under Marshall at Wichita and is very well thought of. Was rated as the best hire of the year in some places when ETSU got him. I know the consensus is to take a hard pass on this year's Mid Major Flavor of the Day, but as someone who's got friends close to small school coaching circles out east, Forbes' name would be one to add to the file. 

Forbes is one of the very few midmajors Im intrigued by.   I think we need to stay away from that route, but if thats the way we go, he's the guy

Honestly,  if you think dumping Miles this year is still a good idea...why?  Do we not pay him through next year regardless?  THIS is the team that was supposed to do it.  Jury out, but at this point, they haven't.   Everything about next year spells doom.  That wont be fixed with an April hire coach.  Let's see what happens this year...let's give him a shot next year then make grown up decisions. 

6 minutes ago, a0t0w0 said:

Honestly,  if you think dumping Miles this year is still a good idea...why?  Do we not pay him through next year regardless?  THIS is the team that was supposed to do it.  Jury out, but at this point, they haven't.   Everything about next year spells doom.  That wont be fixed with an April hire coach.  Let's see what happens this year...let's give him a shot next year then make grown up decisions. 

Well...if next year spells doom regardless...we can use it as part of a rebuild or let it drag us down further

3 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

I have been paying close attention. If Bounds micromanges this much we have one screwed up university.  Just because he was in the middle of football doesn't mean he is involved in basketball.  The man is paid a half million a year to run the university of Nebraska not UNL

He had to.  Green did not want to fire Eichorst.  Bounds had to pull rank and do the right thIng.  If he hadn't Scott Frost would not be our football coach.  JB Milliken subscribed to your philosophy, and let Harvey Perlman ruin athletics at Nebraska.  Sometimes the President has to step in.  

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

Forbes is one of the very few midmajors Im intrigued by.   I think we need to stay away from that route, but if thats the way we go, he's the guy

Mark Turgeon, Gregg Marshall, Steve Forbes...a lot of guys with Wichita State ties making an appearance in this thread. Not a Marshall fan personally. Would be ecstatic with Turgeon. Would be fine with Forbes IF we get told no by 6-7 others.

Thad Matta Coached Teams 14
Dana Altman Coached Teams 13
Gregg Marshall Coached Teams 12
Mark Turgeon Coached Teams 9
Steve Alford Coached Teams 9
Bruce Weber Coached Teams 9
Kelvin Sampson Coached Teams 8
Shaka Smart Coached Teams 6
Fred Hoiberg Coached Teams 4
University of Nebraska Teams 1

And the category is...total number of seasons with 23 or more wins.

I thought about this in the husker baseball thread (I'm a little more critical with baseball, my passion tends to boil over, sorry friends).

When was the last time in any men's sport we moved past being happy with just competing with good teams? I hope we can see a basketball team here in the near future where we don't have to say, "ahhh shucks, we played a good TT team within 20 on a neutral court, that's good enough" or "We made a tournament 5 years ago and got beat like a drum by Baylor, maybe we will get back there again soon" or "22 wins and an NIT 5 seed, what more could we ask for in a season?". 

58 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I thought about this in the husker baseball thread (I'm a little more critical with baseball, my passion tends to boil over, sorry friends).

When was the last time in any men's sport we moved past being happy with just competing with good teams? I hope we can see a basketball team here in the near future where we don't have to say, "ahhh shucks, we played a good TT team within 20 on a neutral court, that's good enough" or "We made a tournament 5 years ago and got beat like a drum by Baylor, maybe we will get back there again soon" or "22 wins and an NIT 5 seed, what more could we ask for in a season?". 

The wrestling team is ranked #7. Can't say I follow the team, so not really sure if this year is an outlier or not. But 6 of the top 8 teams are all from the Big Ten. Talk about a stacked conference.