Jump to content

Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

 

So you think we'd actually throw out $4 million for a basketball coach? When programs of much more traditional success and prestige are paying their established coaches less?

He was just arguing the back burner portion of your statement. I think we will pay 3+ mill for the right coach, that would be top 15 in college basketball. If you consider that + PBA + Hendricks + top 15 attendance + asst coach salaries + private plane for recruiting - it is really hard to state that Nebraska doesn't take basketball seriously. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a need to reiterate the fact that Coach Miles IS a good coach.  He would not have worked up to this level in the business if he was not a good coach.  He was in fact, coach of the year just a

A long time ago, I used to watch every game and soak up every word the talking heads said, every point, all the analysis, all their expert opinions, all their insider insights, all their unnamed sourc

I just hope the next coach, whoever it is, works as hard through adversity as Tim Miles does.   The writing has been on the wall for awhile.  It would have been easy to just cash in his chip

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

 

So you think we'd actually throw out $4 million for a basketball coach? When programs of much more traditional success and prestige are paying their established coaches less?

Not saying we will do it but I could see how a program like ours with less tradition and prestige would have to pay a big coach more than a blue blood in order to attract them to come here.  If the pay were the same and they had a choice between Nebraska and Kansas, they're going to choose Kansas 10 times out of 10.  Our only option to attract a big name coach here in b-ball is to throw more money at them than anyone else and hope that's what they're looking for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, soxnskers said:

Not saying we will do it but I could see how a program like ours with less tradition and prestige would have to pay a big coach more than a blue blood in order to attract them to come here.  If the pay were the same and they had a choice between Nebraska and Kansas, they're going to choose Kansas 10 times out of 10.  Our only option to attract a big name coach here in b-ball is to throw more money at them than anyone else and hope that's what they're looking for.

Doesn't seem like we would be competing with many of the big boys this year if a hire needed to be made. UCLA for sure - maybe could be good timing for us?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, soxnskers said:

Not saying we will do it but I could see how a program like ours with less tradition and prestige would have to pay a big coach more than a blue blood in order to attract them to come here.  If the pay were the same and they had a choice between Nebraska and Kansas, they're going to choose Kansas 10 times out of 10.  Our only option to attract a big name coach here in b-ball is to throw more money at them than anyone else and hope that's what they're looking for.

 

Even if we threw more money at it they would choose Kansas 10 times out of 10. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HB said:

 

Even if we threw more money at it they would choose Kansas 10 times out of 10. 

I agree.  The point I was trying to make is that for all those people saying that 'we can't go out and pay more than a blue blood pays their established coach',  the only thing that could even get us close to the same playing field as them is by offering more money.  Facilities and fan support are already there.  We can't manufacture success and prestige.  So the only thing we have left to do is open up the checkbook and put our money where are mouth is.  If we want to be serious about winning we're going to have to show it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

He was just arguing the back burner portion of your statement. I think we will pay 3+ mill for the right coach, that would be top 15 in college basketball. If you consider that + PBA + Hendricks + top 15 attendance + asst coach salaries + private plane for recruiting - it is really hard to state that Nebraska doesn't take basketball seriously. 

 

I agree with 3 million or maybe a little more. It just depends on the hire. Back burner was harsh, as I was more just comparing the sport in relation to the focus on football.

 

My take on this is we had a hard enough time getting Frost to come here, but we think just throwing money at a coach when the circumstances are even more against us when it comes to the basketball program will work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, soxnskers said:

I agree.  The point I was trying to make is that for all those people saying that 'we can't go out and pay more than a blue blood pays their established coach',  the only thing that could even get us close to the same playing field as them is by offering more money.  Facilities and fan support are already there.  We can't manufacture success and prestige.  So the only thing we have left to do is open up the checkbook and put our money where are mouth is.  If we want to be serious about winning we're going to have to show it.

 

I think we'll be willing to pay what we have to pay.   And I agree we should.      If we strike out on a big time "as close to can't miss as possible" hire, I don't think it will be because we wouldn't pay enough or per one of your earlier posts, care enough.    We'll be up to the challenge, but that still doesn't guarantee our first choices would agree to come here.  At that level we'll need some stars aligned, and it will take more than just money.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HB said:

 

I think we'll be willing to pay what we have to pay.   And I agree we should.      If we strike out on a big time "as close to can't miss as possible" hire, I don't think it will be because we wouldn't pay enough or per one of your earlier posts, care enough.    We'll be up to the challenge, but that still doesn't guarantee our first choices would agree to come here.  At that level we'll need some stars aligned, and it will take more than just money.  

I agree with you completely.  And yes, offering a lot of money is no guarantee that we will get the guy we want, but not being will to do it basically guarantees that we won't get them.  I'm just hoping they aren't going into this fight with one arm tied behind their back.  I feel like the last 3 hires have done that and until they show me differently I'm going to be skeptical of our administrations dedication to b-ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

 

So you think we'd actually throw out $4 million for a basketball coach? When programs of much more traditional success and prestige are paying their established coaches less?

 

We could pay 2.5 Million for the next coach and it still wouldn't mean that basketball is on the "back burner." 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KnightHusker said:

In the spirit of speculation what happens if they renew Miles with a five year extension.

I don't really know.  There is certainly a large group of fans that would support the move.  But there is certainly another group that would provide strong resistance.  What can be done to "unify" the fan base?  Husker fans want a winner...plain and simple.  

 

There are a number of experts and wannabe experts on this and many other boards.  I know of a few posters that have good inside sources.  Those sources may be student managers, or big dollar boosters or work within the athletic department or basketball department.  Others hear from a friend of a friend, et al.  The thing is, very few of us know fact from rumor.  Fact or fiction.  Fact or perception.  What truly is taking place inside the athletic department offices.  Between major boosters and the administration office.  Between the players and coaches in the locker room.  Are takes/comments on this, and other threads, anything more than the authors internal prejudices?

 

In late spring or early last summer I heard from a very good "source" who told me we were in the running for a very good European big man.  Either that fell through, or it was an unfounded rumor.  I don't know.  I have heard through the grapevine that Coach Miles had a very clear edict as to what was needed this year in order for him to get a new contract.  Was that rumor true?  If factual, did that directive put so much pressure on the staff and team that it caused an implosion?  

 

Bottom line, this thread and many others brings out a lot of rhetoric and natural (and sometimes unnatural) excitement and speculation.  There are a few people who definitively knows what is going on...but I do not think they are members, and if they are members, they do not seem to be talking. 

Edited by Huskerpapa
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Haymarket Husker said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Just because he got a vote of confidence publicly doesn't mean he will be allowed to make that decision.  Bounds will be making that decision.

 

Why is the president of a multi-campus university micro-managing the athletic decisions of one of the campuses.  I don't think Bounds is making as many decisions as some of you are alluding to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soxnskers said:

My biggest question is do we really trust the AD and this administration to actually go out and do that?

 

The foundation of the built facilities, the financial position of athletics, and our current AD having the reputation of spending puts us in possibly the best position at any time in our history to go out and land a big fish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

 

The foundation of the built facilities, the financial position of athletics, and our current AD having the reputation of spending puts us in possibly the best position at any time in our history to go out and land a big fish.

If that's the case I'll be happy as a clam.  I just hope you're right.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello folks, as you can see I'm new here, and holy cannoli this thread is a mammoth. Got a text from a friend who lives in Kentucky a few days back saying Nebraska should look at this guy if Miles is let go. I know just about nobody wants to discuss mid major coaches but one name that I wouldn't be surprised if we took a long hard look at is Steve Forbes at East Tennessee State. He's risen through the ranks of coaching rather quickly, was an assistant under Marshall at Wichita and is very well thought of. Was rated as the best hire of the year in some places when ETSU got him. I know the consensus is to take a hard pass on this year's Mid Major Flavor of the Day, but as someone who's got friends close to small school coaching circles out east, Forbes' name would be one to add to the file. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chiefs Kingdom said:

Hello folks, as you can see I'm new here, and holy cannoli this thread is a mammoth. Got a text from a friend who lives in Kentucky a few days back saying Nebraska should look at this guy if Miles is let go. I know just about nobody wants to discuss mid major coaches but one name that I wouldn't be surprised if we took a long hard look at is Steve Forbes at East Tennessee State. He's risen through the ranks of coaching rather quickly, was an assistant under Marshall at Wichita and is very well thought of. Was rated as the best hire of the year in some places when ETSU got him. I know the consensus is to take a hard pass on this year's Mid Major Flavor of the Day, but as someone who's got friends close to small school coaching circles out east, Forbes' name would be one to add to the file. 

Greetings fellow Chiefs fan. Welcome to the show. Have an upvote. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chiefs Kingdom said:

Hello folks, as you can see I'm new here, and holy cannoli this thread is a mammoth. Got a text from a friend who lives in Kentucky a few days back saying Nebraska should look at this guy if Miles is let go. I know just about nobody wants to discuss mid major coaches but one name that I wouldn't be surprised if we took a long hard look at is Steve Forbes at East Tennessee State. He's risen through the ranks of coaching rather quickly, was an assistant under Marshall at Wichita and is very well thought of. Was rated as the best hire of the year in some places when ETSU got him. I know the consensus is to take a hard pass on this year's Mid Major Flavor of the Day, but as someone who's got friends close to small school coaching circles out east, Forbes' name would be one to add to the file. 

Welcome to the site. 

 

Steve is from a little berg in Iowa.  I think his home town is Lone Tree and I believe he is the same age as Coach Miles.  Not sure he is a perfect fit, but then again, I am not sure who is a perfect fit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...