Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

8 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

A big part of what is elevating Keisei's game is Walker operating out of the post. He's been scoring all those back cut layups in part because Walker is a good passer and there isn't anyone clogging up the lane.

Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about that. It's both those guys. It's real chemistry. It really is a mini version of Stockton to Malone. They just have like a 6th sense about each other. If you watch closely, Keisei waits to make his cuts until he sees Derrick is ready to make the pass. And as soon as Derrick shows he's ready, Keisei launches.

Derrick draws just enough attention away from the lane, has good timing on his passes (in terms of like leading the receiver the way a QB would throw a slant route), and TRUSTS that Keisei will handle the pass AND get off a shot that has a reasonable chance of going in.

Keisei will still have those attributes next year. The question is whether we'll have anyone who can do what Derrick does and get him the ball.

9 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Counting on Gary makes me nervous. Dude has had 3 shoulder injuries, an ACL tear and a facial fracture in 3 seasons. 

I may be mistaken, but I think this is the first time that Gary has had the injured shoulder repaired. His shoulder should be good going forward if everything goes well with rehab. Can't speak to the condition of his knee/s, but I think he had a little help with the facial fracture. 😉

45 minutes ago, hugh42 said:

I may be mistaken, but I think this is the first time that Gary has had the injured shoulder repaired. His shoulder should be good going forward if everything goes well with rehab. Can't speak to the condition of his knee/s, but I think he had a little help with the facial fracture. 😉

To Gary’s credit, part of the reason he gets injured a lot is he plays balls to the wall 24/7.

I believe we have only witnessed the tip of the Wilhelm iceberg.  I understand why there is some snickering and angst when his name is mentioned.   Yet the kid has not had an off-season to build his game since he has been here.

I still believe he will improve/develop.  I hope time will prove me right.

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I mean if we reallllly want to go deep in the "stuff"-- I managed to come up with a scenario where we got the 7 seed at 10-10.  

Hey I’m onboard don’t get me wrong, I just couldn’t pass up a cheap shot at ARog & his descent into psychedelics & light deprivation. That being said, it ALL starts with a Win on Saturday! 

I could care less if Wilcher plays another minute.

We need a lot of help in the transfer portal. Keisei can't be relied on night in and night out and doesn't always fit the defensive first philosophy. Lawrence has impressed for as young as he is, but we do have a bunch of role players for the most part.

A lot of what's not being spoken about is how does 1890 Initiative fit into the discussion. Last year we had no shot at Scheyerman mostly due to that aspect. Do businesspersons in Nebraska want to support hoops to a level necessary? Do they see it making sense? That will have a lot to say with any success we have in the portal.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

I believe we have only witnessed the tip of the Wilhelm iceberg.  I understand why there is some snickering and angst when his name is mentioned.   Yet the kid has not had an off-season to build his game since he has been here.

I still believe he will improve/develop.  I hope time will prove me right.

You mean because he was hurt?

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

No surprise that Alberts seems to be leaning towards Hoiberg coming back and he also thinks Shatel is full of hot air

1 hour ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

We need a lot of help in the transfer portal. Keisei can't be relied on night in and night out and doesn't always fit the defensive first philosophy. Lawrence has impressed for as young as he is, but we do have a bunch of role players for the most part.

A lot of what's not being spoken about is how does 1890 Initiative fit into the discussion. Last year we had no shot at Scheyerman mostly due to that aspect. Do businesspersons in Nebraska want to support hoops to a level necessary? Do they see it making sense? That will have a lot to say with any success we have in the portal.

Keisei's has been in double figures six of his last seven games and 20+ in 3 of his last 5.

CJ, I get it, but he was really good last year and I expect him to bounce back next year. He's fighting it this year for sure, though.

2 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

As of now, UNL basketball is not part of 1890.  It is part of a different collective.  Certain boosters of means are in fact supporting NIL.   The question is if there is enough of them.  Others have answered your question "do they see it making sense?" as "No".    It's a shift in thinking for many of these folks from donating to endowments, scholarship funds and buildings, to direct payments to players.  I struggle with it myself.  Stay tuned.  

6 hours ago, HB said:

As of now, UNL basketball is not part of 1890.  It is part of a different collective.  Certain boosters of means are in fact supporting NIL.   The question is if there is enough of them.  Others have answered your question "do they see it making sense?" as "No".    It's a shift in thinking for many of these folks from donating to endowments, scholarship funds and buildings, to direct payments to players.  I struggle with it myself.  Stay tuned.  

1890 will be taking over men's basketball shortly.

17 hours ago, hugh42 said:

I can say without a doubt that his shoulder will not be 100%, having had shoulder surgery myself, but it should not hinder him either. 🙂

Fortunately, it's not his shooting arm. And whatever it ends up like, it's almost certainly going to be better than tweaking it every other game and having to run off the floor to get it iced.