Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

3 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

i had this same thought, but i wouldn't be against giving fred a few more years before making some sort of drastic change with the program. i have no idea who the deion equivalent is, but this program badly needs someone who is going to put a spotlight on it. if fred can't get it turned around, i'd be pretty much open to anyone who is going to bring massive change and more of a marketer than a basketball coach. i don't know if deion will turn around colorado but he's already gotten dozens of top recruits because of his social media presence and charisma.

My initial thought was Geno Auriemma, but he's not going anywhere. Then I hit on Dawn Staley, who makes $2.9 million/year at South Carolina, but has a contract through 2028, so the buyout would be interesting.

Either way, having the spotlight on Nebrasketball in the same way that Deion has focused the spotlight on Folsom Field would be quite an accomplishment. Hell, at least CU used to be great at football, something we can't claim in men's hoops.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Can you expand on this "fake image" you claim the school and state is upholding?

So...why the double standard?  Beard is good enough for us (despite some mythic "fake image" we're upholding) after his arrest on DV charges but Mickey is definitely not good enough for us now that he's been arrested.

In fairness, I don't think this is a double standard.

Both coaches get fired from their current job. He's hoping Mickey gets another job soon, a 2nd chance, and he's also saying we should be willing to take Beard, another 2nd chance. He's not saying Texas should have kept Beard and that we needed to fire Mickey. If that's what he's saying, then it's a double standard.

23 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I will be sorta shocked if our coach next year isn't our current coach.  Just saying.

15 minutes ago, 49r said:

I agree.  There just seems to be a very strong "run it back" vibe going on right now.

Add me to this camp. Fred has shown that he recognized his plan wasn't working and shifted philosophy to something that seemed to be working until injuries derailed the season. That allow should warrant another year to see if he can build on this change.

39 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

the problem with running it back is we're losing at least 3 starters from this team after this year.

True...but how amazingly epic are the recruits for next year...yes I'm being sarcastic.  I just can't bring myself to get to pumped about guys that haven't played one second of Husker Basketball. I'll root for them as loud as the next guy, but we have gotten burned by "top notch" players that didn't live up to their hype...except in their own heads. 

6 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

True...but how amazingly epic are the recruits for next year...yes I'm being sarcastic.  I just can't bring myself to get to pumped about guys that haven't played one second of Husker Basketball. I'll root for them as loud as the next guy, but we have gotten burned by "top notch" players that didn't live up to their hype...except in their own heads. 

I'm confused. On the one hand you're talking about how we don't have hyped recruits. On the other hand you're talking about being burned by players not living up to the hype.

How about this: We did pretty well in the portal last season despite a poor record. We have more to show this year AND we have some promising young talent on the roster and getting minutes right now, more than we did last year, to build around.

25 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

the problem with running it back is we're losing at least 3 starters from this team after this year.

This is true, but 2 of those starters came from the portal. Who's to say the staff can't land similar players again? And although all 3 of those starters were solid contributors, none are irreplaceable. This is college sports. Players graduate/transfer, others step up or in to replace them.

I get it. The first 3 years under Fred have been a disaster in terms of wins and losses, there is no arguing that. But it appears that Fred has figured out what he needs to do to win here and we do have a few nice pieces for next season's roster. If the staff can land some guys from the portal to fill the gaps, they have a chance to keep the positive momentum they've created this season.

We’re for sure replacing Bando, Sam, Walker. There’s at least a chance Keisei graduates and plays pro ball in Japan. Gary will be back, but how will his shoulder hold up….3 straight years of shoulder issues makes me nervous. Hoiberg's transfer recruiting has been a mixed bag, though went very well this past off-season. Track record on getting a big hasn’t been great. How will job status impact transfer recruiting? Grad transfers might not care, transfers with multiple years left will probably care. Feels like Fred has one shot at this and it’s gotta be perfect - at least it will be an entertaining off-season. 

8 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

We’re for sure replacing Bando, Sam, Walker. There’s at least a chance Keisei graduates and plays pro ball in Japan. Gary will be back, but how will his shoulder hold up….3 straight years of shoulder issues makes me nervous. Hoiberg's transfer recruiting has been a mixed bag, though went very well this past off-season. Track record on getting a big hasn’t been great. How will job status impact transfer recruiting? Grad transfers might not care, transfers with multiple years left will probably care. Feels like Fred has one shot at this and it’s gotta be perfect - at least it will be an entertaining off-season. 

FWIW, the season where the transfer portal worked out well for us was the season with our current coaching staff.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

The starting lineup that beat PSU had only 2 seniors. PSU's starting lineup had 5.

But don't kid yourself, the non-seniors in that starting lineup aren't getting you out of the bottom 4 in the league.  It is imperative that we get some DUDES in the portal this year, or some late-emerging Juco studs.  The returnees plus a November class of 1 ain't gonna do it.  

39 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I keep seeing this comment that Hoiberg figured it out. That seems to be a stretch. It looks to me the AD figured it out and clued him in. 

Perhaps, but Fred's also a smart guy and I believe Trev said Fred presented him a plan about how he wanted to adjust. I'll take him at his work on that. But even if Trev did mandate the changes Fred was the one who had to execute it. I'd argue he did until the injuries hit. If he gets another year, he'll have to build on what happned this year. And probably not what the final record will be but what the program looked like in the middle third of the season.

15 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

he'll have to build on what happned this year.

Sure that's what he'll have to do. But I have no confidence he'll be able to do it. He put together a decent starting 5 this year. He may do the same next year. But Hoiberg looks like a coach who's ceiling is getting Nebraska close to a . 500 record. We all know his floor. 

Edited by cornfed24-7

49 minutes ago, HB said:

But don't kid yourself, the non-seniors in that starting lineup aren't getting you out of the bottom 4 in the league.  It is imperative that we get some DUDES in the portal this year, or some late-emerging Juco studs.  The returnees plus a November class of 1 ain't gonna do it.  

I don't think jucos. They take too long to develop. I think it has to be portal players. Hopefully with more than one season to go.

2 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I keep seeing this comment that Hoiberg figured it out. That seems to be a stretch. It looks to me the AD figured it out and clued him in. 

One thing I wonder.  This is only the 2nd year with a new AD.  Should we somewhat discount the first two years?  What does the plan look like going forward?  Is this year building a winning culture/formula?  If this were year 2 how are we feeling?  If the AD and head coach have a new plan do we give that more time?