Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

9 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

This is because his father lives in Lincoln. Considering how little the buyout is on the coach's side of things Maryland doesn't really seem to care if that would happen.

I didn’t realize that. Would he be the next best hire after Hoiberg? He definitely turned that Maryland program around. 

well, it's well into the afternoon and no news. perhaps there's more machinery in motion than we thought. I realize they flew in today and all, but the assumption seemed to be that Moos was just waiting for the final whistle to blow to pull the trigger on the Grand Plan. 

Will be interesting if we get to tomorrow without a peep. More drama! 

2 minutes ago, tcp said:

well, it's well into the afternoon and no news. perhaps there's more machinery in motion than we thought. I realize they flew in today and all, but the assumption seemed to be that Moos was just waiting for the final whistle to blow to pull the trigger on the Grand Plan. 

Will be interesting if we get to tomorrow without a peep. More drama! 

They had some flight issues I believe. Just landed a while ago 

54 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

My goodness.  We're really going to do this?  We can't just wait until an announcement is made?  We now have to follow the guy around?

I mean, it's a story. They did this for Riley and I think Pelini, too. It's how it works these days, right or wrong. There's no reason to drag this out. Moos needs to let Tim know what's up. It wreaks of things on the back end not being as solid as he wants it before he pulls the trigger.

7 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I mean, it's a story. They did this for Riley and I think Pelini, too. It's how it works these days, right or wrong. There's no reason to drag this out. Moos needs to let Tim know what's up. It wreaks of things on the back end not being as solid as he wants it before he pulls the trigger.

Didn't the team get back late and then this Bounds deal happened?

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I think it's possible Hank Bounds might deserve some of the blame here.  One major University personnel-change announcement might preempt another one on the same day.  Bounds' announcement says he's not leaving until summer, so why announce his planned departure yesterday when everyone's attention is on the status of the basketball coach?

Bounds might have his reasons, but if he could have waited, say, a week to make the same announcement, I think he probably should have been smart enough to do that. Instead, as Seth points out, Coach Miles is left twisting in the wind.  Not fair of Hank to do that to Tim.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Bounds' announcement says he's not leaving until summer, so why announce his planned departure yesterday when everyone's attention is on the status of the basketball coach?

I wonder if they thought about it the other way too of "how would it look if we just hired a new basketball coach and Bounds retires shortly after"? Both really good questions.

Summer sessions aren't too far away, last week of class is last week of April  I believe.  Doing the announcement now gets that out there a month ahead of time - who knows the downstream impacts to the University system when the president of the University of Nebraska leaves.  We can view the announcement with the blinders of how it affects men's basketball, or we can view it as an announcement for the university system as a whole.  Perception is that it is affecting the basketball situation, but announcement or no announcement,  it probably would have impacted the timing anyway.  We just wouldn't know about it to speculate on it... until after, and been like oh... so that's why it probably took so long...

This literary moment strikes me as appropriate...

To a Mouse, on Turning Her Up in Her Nest With the Plough, Robert Burns, November, 1785, the last two stanzas

But Mouse, you are not alone,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes of mice and men
Go often askew,
And leave us nothing but grief and pain,
For promised joy!

Still you are blessed, compared with me!
The present only touches you:
But oh! I backward cast my eye,
On prospects dreary!
And forward, though I cannot see,
I guess and fear!