Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

20 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Nightmare scenario: Tim goes on a tear and wins the NIT. Fred gets antsy waiting and accepts the Arizona job. Tim gives Bill the middle finger and finds another job. Bill can't find anyone, settles with Ernie Kent. 

I'll tell you this:  Tim is NOT going to be unemployed next season unless he chooses to be.

1 hour ago, HoiBall said:

Everything you are hearing today I can confirm except for the UCLA stuff. From what I heard it was the other way around.

Either way, if this gets finalized this is a major get for Nebraska. I consider Fred an elite college basketball coach. I watched first hand what he did in Ames, and it was impressive. Guy can coach circles around people. He will get talent and he knows how to get the best out of it. The one downside is it will be interesting to see how long he stays in Lincoln. If he got it rolling here I could easily see him being a candidate for UNC/Duke.

Have you hear to look for Doc Sadler to return in some capacity if it happens and Doc is let go.  I've heard from 2 people was contacted 3 weeks ago to see if it was a good place to work and if he would feel comfortable coming back either on the bench or as admin staff. 

Just now, Ruck Me Funning said:

Have you hear to look for Doc Sadler to return in some capacity if it happens and Doc is let go.  I've heard from 2 people was contacted 3 weeks ago to see if it was a good place to work and if he would feel comfortable coming back either on the bench or as admin staff. 

Have not heard that but would not surprise. Was a very nice piece to Fred's staff for a year at ISU.

I was starting to lean toward keeping Miles after the last week we have had, but after some research unless we all want to wait another 2/3 to MAYBE have a shot at the NCAA's again it's time to move on. While the chart I have put together doesn't account for players leaving early which will inevitably happen, it gives a pretty good look at what we have to replace compared to everyone else

*All percentages

Returning Points Returning Assists Returning Rebounds
Maryland-99 Maryland-99 Maryland-98
Rutgers-95 Rutgers-97 Rutgers-89
Iowa-91 Iowa-92 Michigan-87
Illinois-86 Michigan-91 Iowa-87
Michigan-84 Illinois-87 Penn State-86
Penn State-84 Indiana-80 Illinois-82
Michigan State-78 Michigan State-77 Ohio State-80
Purdue-77 Penn State-75 Purdue-79
Indiana-74 Purdue-64 Michigan State-71
Ohio State-72 Ohio State-59 Indiana-68
Wisconsin-63 Northwestern-57 Wisconsin-56
Minnesota-62 Wisconsin-56 Minnesota-56
Northwestern-40 Minnesota-56 Nebraska-53
Nebraska-37 Nebraska-41 Northwestern-52

Returners for each team. Bold are seniors, underlined are players with at least a decent chance of leaving early

Position Michigan State Purdue Michigan Wisconsin Maryland Iowa Minnesota
PG Cassius Winston (JR) Carsen Edwards (JR) Zavier Simpson (JR) D'Mitrik Trice (R-SO) Anthony Cowan (JR) Jordan Bohannon (JR) Gabe Kalscheur (FR)
SG Matt McQuaid (SR) Ryan Cline (SR) Jordan Poole (SO) Brad Davison (SO) Darryl Morsell (SO) Isaiah Moss (R-JR) Dupree McBrayer (SR)
SF Aaron Henry (FR) Nojel Eastern (SO) Charles Matthews (SR) Khalil Iverson (SR) Eric Ayala (FR) Joe Wieskamp (FR) Amir Coffey (JR)
PF Kenny Goins (SR) Grady Eifert (SR) Ignas Bradzeikas (FR) Nate Ruevers (SO) Jalen Smith (FR) Tyler Cook (JR) Jordan Murphy (SR)
C Nick Ward (JR) Matt Harrms (SO) Jon Teske (JR) Ethan Happ R-SR) Bruno Fernando (SO) Luka Garza (SO) Daniel Oturu (FR)
PG Foster Loyer FR) Tommy Luce (JR) Eli Brooks (SO) Brevin Pritzl (R-JR) Reese Mona (SO) Austin Ash (R-FR) Isaiah Washington (SO)
SG Kyle Ahrens (R-JR) Eric Hunter (FR) David Dejulius (FR) Kobe King (R-FR) Serrel Smith (FR) Maishe Dailey (JR) Brock Stull (R-SR)
SF Gabe Brown (FR) Aaron Wheeler (R-FR) (PF) Colin Castleton (FR) Aleem Ford (R-SO) Aaron Wiggins (FR) Connor McCaffery (R-FR) (PF) Michael Hurt (JR)
PF Thomas Kithier (FR) Evan Boudreaux (JR) Isaiah Livers (SO) Charlie Thomas (SR) Ricky Lindo (FR) Nick Baer (R-SR) Jarvis Omersa (FR)
C Xavier Tillman (SO) Trevion Williams (FR) Austin Davis (JR) Micah Potter (JR) from OSU Ivan Bender (SR) Ryan Kriener (JR) Matz Stockman (R-SR)

Position Ohio State Indiana Rutgers Penn State Illinois Nebraska  Northwestern
PG CJ Jackson (SR) Rob Phinisee (FR) Geo Baker (SO) Jamari Wheeler (SO) Trent Frazier (SO) Glynn Watson (SR) Anthony Gaines (SO)
SG Keyshawn Woods (R-SR) Devonte Green (JR) Montez Mathis (FR) Josh Reeves (SR) Ayo Dosunmu (FR) Thomas Allen (SO) Ryan Taylor (SR)
SF Luther Muhammed (FR) Romeo Langford (FR) Ron Harper (FR) Myles Dread (FR) Kipper Nichols (R-JR) James Palmer (SR) Vic Law (SR)
PF Andre Wesson (JR) Justin Smith (SO) Eugen Omoruyi (JR) Lamar Stevens (JR) Aaron Jordan (SR) Isaiah Roby (JR) Miller Kopp (FR)
C Kaleb Wesson (SO) Juwan Morgan (SR) Shaq Doorson R-SR) Mike Watkins (R-JR) Georgi Bezhanishvili (FR) Isaac Copeland (SR) Dererk Pardon (SR)
PG Duane Washington (FR)     Rasir Bolton (FR)   Amir Harris (FR)  
SG Justin Ahrens (FR) AJ Durham (SO) Peter Kiss (SO) (PG) Myreon Jones (FR) Andres Feliz (JR) Thorir Thorbjarnarsson (SO)  
SF (SG) Jaeden LeDee (FR) (PF) Race Thompson R-FR) Caleb McConnell (FR)   Da'Monte Williams (SO) Nana Akenten (SO) AJ Turner (JR)
PF  SF) Musa Jallow (SO) De'Ron Davis (JR) Shaq Carter (JR) Deivis Zemgulis (SR) Tevian Jones (FR) Brady Heiman (FR) Aaron Falzon-Transfer
C Kyle Young (SO) Evan Fitzner (R-SR) Myles Johnson (FR) John Harrar (SO) Adonis De La Rosa (R-SR) Tanner Borchardt (SR) Barrett Benson (JR)
Edited by MichHusker
Another Chart!

2 minutes ago, Ruck Me Funning said:

I actually heard this rumor as well. Would be awesome. 

First of all, I have NO inside info from ANYBODY nor do I know anybody that DOES know anybody with such insight. I am just speculating....

-- There IS a coach in waiting but Miles has asked to coach the team through the end of the year and Moos and the unknown coach have generously agreed. Why they would do that makes no sense to except as a simple act of kindness. This seems like a poor option for the well-being of the program and a very unlikely explanation in the big business world of NCAA sports.
-- There is NOT a coach in waiting and Moos is genuinely undecided. The performance in the B1G tourney certainly put Miles in an improved light and if the Huskers do well in the NIT -- perhaps even win it -- it will make it really hard to terminate Miles. This option seems very unlikely to me given Miles' track record especially with the bar that was set for the season.

-- There IS a coach in waiting but for whatever reason he was unwilling to be revealed by the time the B1G tourney ended. Perhaps he is coaching in the post season. Or perhaps Hoiberg hadn't decided about UCLA, yet by the end of the B1G tourney. So Miles gets to coach to the end of the season and then is bid goodbye regardless of how we do but Moos cannot do anything public until the end of the NIT run.

Bottom line for me is the idea that either we have a coach who is currently coaching a post season team or Hoiberg hadn't decided, yet, but now has. I could be happy either way. What doesn't make sense is Tim still coaching the team.

2 minutes ago, Ruck Me Funning said:

That would be weird but considering Hoiberg’s Iowa St teams were not exactly known for their defense I would welcome that addition. 

It is literally insane to me to think that a coach of Hoiberg's status apparently passed on UCLA for us. It's hilariously awesome. I honestly think our consistent lack of success and sheer wanting of ONE tourney win while offering boat loads of cash is going to get this done. It's like we tanked as an organization for 20 years just to pull this off (if it happens). 

7 minutes ago, Ruck Me Funning said:

I have but it's a bit of the cart before the horse.

Should we get that far I suppose that would depend on how much Doc prefers to be a head coach and/or how secure that job and if he'd want to take a bit of a paycut. (He's making 350k)

11 minutes ago, KZRider said:

First of all, I have NO inside info from ANYBODY nor do I know anybody that DOES know anybody with such insight. I am just speculating....

-- There IS a coach in waiting but Miles has asked to coach the team through the end of the year and Moos and the unknown coach have generously agreed. Why they would do that makes no sense to except as a simple act of kindness. This seems like a poor option for the well-being of the program and a very unlikely explanation in the big business world of NCAA sports.
-- There is NOT a coach in waiting and Moos is genuinely undecided. The performance in the B1G tourney certainly put Miles in an improved light and if the Huskers do well in the NIT -- perhaps even win it -- it will make it really hard to terminate Miles. This option seems very unlikely to me given Miles' track record especially with the bar that was set for the season.

-- There IS a coach in waiting but for whatever reason he was unwilling to be revealed by the time the B1G tourney ended. Perhaps he is coaching in the post season. Or perhaps Hoiberg hadn't decided about UCLA, yet by the end of the B1G tourney. So Miles gets to coach to the end of the season and then is bid goodbye regardless of how we do but Moos cannot do anything public until the end of the NIT run.

Bottom line for me is the idea that either we have a coach who is currently coaching a post season team or Hoiberg hadn't decided, yet, but now has. I could be happy either way. What doesn't make sense is Tim still coaching the team.

In regard to your first point, maybe the new head coach would like to follow his son in the NCAA Tournament this weekend and Moos, for obvious reasons, would be on board with that. 

Im a cynical lover, jealous and speculative partner of my muse, nebraska basketball. I will call my shot and we do the most Nebrasketball thing... Miles is fired, we go after Fred, we don’t get Fred. Actually, Fred puts out a statement saying he is not interested before Miles is fired, we fire Miles anyway and we hire some schlub mid-major coach. #Nebrasketball

I know I am a downer but I will believe when I see.    

5 minutes ago, Samborini said:

Im a cynical lover, jealous and speculative partner of my muse, nebraska basketball. I will call my shot and we do the most Nebrasketball thing... Miles is fired, we go after Fred, we don’t get Fred. Actually, Fred puts out a statement saying he is not interested before Miles is fired, we fire Miles anyway and we hire some schlub mid-major coach. #Nebrasketball

I know I am a downer but I will believe when I see.    

Well this is horrifying. Keep these thoughts to yourself. 

2 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

Money talks and BS walks. Nebraska has more cash than UCLA and is close to family. Fred is hopefully coming home and possibly bringing a familiar face back who loved it here. I will hold my excitement until this is done because it all could blow up anytime. But folks.......The curse may be over. 

UCLA is also a much easier job tho

19 minutes ago, Ruck Me Funning said:

If Southern Miss fires Doc Sadler this year, they'd be making a huge mistake.  He inherited a lot bigger mess from cheater Donnie Tyndall than most people realize.  They're still under scholarship limits until '20-21.  Doc's program has shown improvement every season. And he's done it clean. This year, they reached 20 wins and finished 2nd in their conference and they're on their way to the CBI. Why in the actual heck would Southern Miss let Doc go?

55 minutes ago, bb33ch said:

Let’s not forget Tim is a very good coach and was before he got here. He built up Colorado State, North Dakota State, etc. He definitely has  what it takes and wherever he goes I’ll be rooting for the guy. (As long as it’s not against Nebraska)

Tim's a builder, no question. I root for dudes who try to improvise and innovate. It has seemed that Miles has been all about that in his college coaching jaunts throughout the upper Midwest.

6 minutes ago, MilesDavis said:

Is it though? Unless he's taking them to the Elite 8 every year, they wont' be happy.

All he has to do here is go to the tournament consistently, maybe even win a game.

Win game(s) in the Big Dance, yes that's much easier at NU than UCLA's high, high, high expectations--that are simply unreal.

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Yep, They fired their last 4 coaches, all of which took them to an Elite Eight or beyond. 

Yep, that was my point. We were a hell of a lot closer to making the NCAA Tournament (our goal) than UCLA was to the Elite 8 (their goal).