Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

9 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

My biggest worry with Fred is his statement that he "hated recruiting" while in college.  Nebraska isn't really a place that talent just lands in your lap, so you are going to have to put in a little effort.  This is an area that Miles excelled at.  Can Fred do the same?

How many coaches actually love recruiting?

Probably not many. Also, considering what he did at ISU I would say he excelled in recruiting. This would be a jaw dropping hire around the CBB world. 

Just now, hskr4life said:

Another thing I am now going back to is Miles quote after we lose in Chicago.

"I have accepted the fact that I have probably run my race."  Makes you wonder if he already knew.

Yes Miles already knew. The way he played the "statement" comment before it came out. Right or wrong, I feel Tim was trying to make this look as muddy as possible so people can bash the way they perceive Moos handled it. Miles has known for a while

I like Tim and would not be upset if he stays but he is done, no going back for too many people even if he wins the NIT. I do think he should stay till it’s over though. You do it for the kids, that is the least you can do for them. As long as they are playing and repping UNL the deserve the best chance we can give them and that includes letting Tim finish out. 

5 minutes ago, royalfan said:

After reading up on Hoiberg's tactics I am much more comfortable with him.  I can see the efficiency numbers.  Why they got those high numbers is what I like.   He despises long two point shots almost as much as I do.  His defenses try to funnel those types of shots for opponents.  Doesn't play an overly aggressive brand of defense.  His defenses are designed to be able to rebound missed shots well however and avoid penetration.  This almost has to result in a little more three point shooting being allowed than I would prefer.  However, as big as he is on analytics, maybe not.  

image.png

Pretty much. Things might have changed since his time at Chicago but his numbers at ISU show he was definitely running a 3p heavy offense and defensively the Average possession length, lack of turnovers and lack of fouling with an average amount of 3pa shows a Pack-style defense. 

I’m all in on Fred. He is one of the few guys i considered “home runs” and a guy i would be fine replacing Miles. I just don’t understand the timing and why if he has a deal in place not just fire him now and move on ASAP. Nonetheless, i am excited to see them play Wednesday and I hope Miles coaches his tail off.

1 minute ago, bb33ch said:

I’m all in on Fred. He is one of the few guys i considered “home runs” and a guy i would be fine replacing Miles. I just don’t understand the timing and why if he has a deal in place not just fire him now and move on ASAP. Nonetheless, i am excited to see them play Wednesday and I hope Miles coaches his tail off.

Miles is coaching himself into another job after he gets let go with the big ten run/whatever he does in the NIT. Which I'm happy for

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

image.png

Pretty much. Things might have changed since his time at Chicago but his numbers at ISU show he was definitely running a 3p heavy offense and defensively the Average possession length, lack of turnovers and lack of fouling with an average amount of 3pa shows a Pack-style defense. 

I was reading that his defense has many traits of the Pack line defense, but their guards don't necessarily feed penetration to the middle of the court like most Pack line defenses.  Not too sure what impact that has exactly.  

1 minute ago, thrasher31 said:

Miles is coaching himself into another job after he gets let go with the big ten run/whatever he does in the NIT. Which I'm happy for

Definitely. I could see himself landing at a decent school next year and making some noise. I think he definitely has what it takes to win at a slightly lower level, it just didn’t quite work out here.

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

That would be another major hit to Moos' PR.  Making a deal BEFORE the other coach is fired is a horrible tactic.  Add to that, if it should be announced next week sometime, what if Nebraska goes to the NIT championship games.  Makes me think it is not Nebraska, and probably an NBA job.

Didn’t we do that with Frost?

1 minute ago, royalfan said:

I was reading that his defense has many traits of the Pack line defense, but their guards don't necessarily feed penetration to the middle of the court like most Pack line defenses.  Not too sure what impact that has exactly.  

There is probably a more appropriate word than "pack"  I"m using that as a catch-all description for a team that looks like it protects against lane penetration first and foremost.

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Maybe Tom Allen, too. Wonder if he could keep Green and Williams in the fold, too?

If we are going to hire a coach that may be able to keep some recruits in the fold it will be hard to turn down Hoiberg. Other coaches will have the relationship but from being able to talk to his offenses at Iowa St and him coaching in the NBA. That’s a pretty hell of a sell. 

I hope like hell this happens. It needs to happen ASAP before someone like Arizona sweeps in if Miller is gone. 

4 minutes ago, bb33ch said:

Definitely. I could see himself landing at a decent school next year and making some noise. I think he definitely has what it takes to win at a slightly lower level, it just didn’t quite work out here.

He is more comfortable coaching without a true big, so I agree that a step down is where he probably fits in.  

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

There is probably a more appropriate word than "pack"  I"m using that as a catch-all description for a team that looks like it protects against lane penetration first and foremost.

Yeah, I was merely passing along what his difference is from the typical pack.  Doesn't seem like much of one at all.  

4 minutes ago, royalfan said:

He is more comfortable coaching without a true big, so I agree that a step down is where he probably fits in.  

Let’s not forget Tim is a very good coach and was before he got here. He built up Colorado State, North Dakota State, etc. He definitely has  what it takes and wherever he goes I’ll be rooting for the guy. (As long as it’s not against Nebraska)