Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

9 hours ago, skerbball said:

To be fair, he said there is a reason Altman is FROM Nebraska, that may have more to do with Altman than it does with Nebraska...Walton is generally very appreciative of every PLACE...that said,  it's more likely his running hype hysteria about the Pac-12 his professed "CONFERENCE OF CHAMPIONS" (#onebidleague)

Having Bill as a constant presence on UA broadcasts here in Tucson, I do have to say, when Dave Pasch finally snaps and kills Bill, no jury in the land will convict him.

28 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

To be fair, he said there is a reason Altman is FROM Nebraska, that may have more to do with Altman than it does with Nebraska...Walton is generally very appreciative of every PLACE...that said,  it's more likely his running hype hysteria about the Pac-12 his professed "CONFERENCE OF CHAMPIONS" (#onebidleague)

Having Bill as a constant presence on UA broadcasts here in Tucson, I do have to say, when Dave Pasch finally snaps and kills Bill, no jury in the land will convict him.

I lived in Tucson for three years and got more acquainted with Walton’s shenanigans.  I miss certain things about Tucson quite a bit, but hearing him less is not one of them.

Just noticed Montana and Travis DeCuire won the Big Sky again last night. 2nd straight NCAA trip.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it's someone Moos may have on his list, just from his time at Montana, as DeCuire played there while Moos was AD.

4 20-win seasons in 5 years at Montana, 3 regular season titles, 2 conference tournament titles.

Edited by throwback

19 minutes ago, throwback said:

Just noticed Montana and Travis DeCuire won the Big Sky again last night. 2nd straight NCAA trip.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it's someone Moos may have on his list, just from his time at Montana, as DeCuire played there while Moos was AD.

4 20-win seasons in 5 years at Montana, 3 regular season titles, 2 conference tournament titles.

This is why I'm not an AD, but my opinion... Let's hire someone who can make it to the NCAA tournament without having to get the automatic qualifier bid. And won a game in the tournament.

That's a small list though.

34 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

This is why I'm not an AD, but my opinion... Let's hire someone who can make it to the NCAA tournament without having to get the automatic qualifier bid. And won a game in the tournament.

That's a small list though.

I'm with you - that thought came to mind watching Saint Louis qualify today. Travis Ford won an NCAA game at Oklahoma State, had a few really good years but was fired after eight years, now has SLU in the NCAA in three years there. 

Would I want a guy like Ford over someone like Craig Smith or DeCuire, who have had big success quickly at the mid-major level but who don't have the P5 experience? Tough call. Certainly Ford has had nice success at a few mid-major stops over the years. And guys have had success when given a 2nd shot at a P5 job. Then again, some have flamed out quickly.

Certainly Ford isn't the only option, but, save for someone like Hoiberg, we're probably looking at guys who have had a P5 shot and probably failed or got fired for other reasons to fit the criteria of having an NCAA win or NCAA at-large berth. (Smith is an exception, as he would have had an NCAA at-large with USU this season, had they not won the Mt West tournament.)

Ultimately, it would've been significantly better if we had just won enough last year or this year and we could keep Miles. But, baring some strange about-face from NU administration in the next few days, that ship has sailed.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for Ford, nor do I think he's on the radar. Just a convenient example as SLU was playing today. Plus he has Midwest ties.

Edited by throwback

18 hours ago, HoiBall said:

Ok, I’ll just not share any info I may receive

People who feel the need to threaten to not disclose information rarely have anything worthwhile. Also if you're looking to get a contract extension, leaking out "that you have interest in Nebraska" is one way of acquiring it. 

19 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

People who feel the need to threaten to not disclose information rarely have anything worthwhile. Also if you're looking to get a contract extension, leaking out "that you have interest in Nebraska" is one way of acquiring it. 

I've threatened over a threat of a threat to a threat.

#threatening

?

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Nice. Well, if you want to try to belittle posters that your problem. You can believe what you want. I know who I know and I know what they know. 

20 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Nice. Well, if you want to try to belittle posters that your problem. You can believe what you want. I know who I know and I know what they know. 

Personally, I look forward to seeing your posts, HoiBall!  Thank you!

5 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

A long time ago, I used to watch every game and soak up every word the talking heads said, every point, all the analysis, all their expert opinions, all their insider insights, all their unnamed sources. Then the play, the game, the season, the career would happen and even if that talking head knew all the right people, all the right tactical and strategic details, even if they were the best informed SOB (scholar of basketball) they had (charitably) a 25% chance of being right.

So I now understand that "knowing" and "actually happening" are not the same thing. If you see someone on this board with 10,000 posts (or HHC in their screen name) understand that we have listened to 20,000 posts from guys who "know a guy" or "saw the next coach at Valentino's" or "have the inside dirt" 

Charitably, <5% of those have been right, so it's not personal. If you KNOW and want to share, great, when your prediction comes to pass, you will be vindicated  but if you want to stifle disagreement by citing your unnamed sources then the bulletin board world isn't your best platform and you should start a blog. 

I think this might be the best retort on this site ever.

Thanks Scott.

22 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Maybe you do know people who know things. But to me, it feels like you state everything as fact and refute everyone else's opinions out of hand without acknowledging that other posters also might know people who know things. In which case, I can come up with three explanations:

1. You truly do know people who know things. Why spend so much time arguing with everyone on the board? Just wait for the facts to become public knowledge, come back, tell everyone told you so, and then watch as people take your insight more seriously next time.
  2. You know people who think they know things. They may or may not be right, but again we'll find out eventually and you can double down on your stances for as long as you like. It sucks to be lead astray and have to eat crow; I'd guess most people on the board could empathize with that.
  3. You don't actually know people who know things. Are you just making stuff up for the attention? Are you trying to manifest things into existence by putting out that energy into the universe? Again, totally your prerogative - many people don't have the time or patience to give that energy to you. 

Regardless, it seems somewhat juvenile to say "I have the best ball, lot's of people are telling me it's the best, and everyone should want to play with it." But then if people are trying to argue about which ball is better, you come back and say "I'm not willing to debate which ball is best, so I'm just going to take my ball and go home."

1 hour ago, HoiBall said:

Most people who know stuff don't feel the need to toot their own horn all the time .  Just an annoying little fellow throwing obvious stuff at the hall, and then if some of it sticks you'll take credit. 

43 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Maybe you do know people who know things. But to me, it feels like you state everything as fact and refute everyone else's opinions out of hand without acknowledging that other posters also might know people who know things. In which case, I can come up with three explanations:

1. You truly do know people who know things. Why spend so much time arguing with everyone on the board? Just wait for the facts to become public knowledge, come back, tell everyone told you so, and then watch as people take your insight more seriously next time.
  2. You know people who think they know things. They may or may not be right, but again we'll find out eventually and you can double down on your stances for as long as you like. It sucks to be lead astray and have to eat crow; I'd guess most people on the board could empathize with that.
  3. You don't actually know people who know things. Are you just making stuff up for the attention? Are you trying to manifest things into existence by putting out that energy into the universe? Again, totally your prerogative - many people don't have the time or patience to give that energy to you. 

Regardless, it seems somewhat juvenile to say "I have the best ball, lot's of people are telling me it's the best, and everyone should want to play with it." But then if people are trying to argue about which ball is better, you come back and say "I'm not willing to debate which ball is best, so I'm just going to take my ball and go home."

Can I borrow this for my sports writing class? ?