Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

2 minutes ago, tjp21 said:

Agree.  Circumstances sort of cornered him into a no win situation.

The tourney run coupled with all the attention for leaving town with the team still alive and a post season berth now in limbo made it an almost impossible situation to handle cleanly.

What cound he he have done to put the fire out? 

1 -  Cutting Miles loose tonight looks really  bad, especially not being there.  Not to mention isn’t real fair to the team or staff if they want to give the a NIT a shot. 

2 - Say nothing and speculation continues to get even crazier.  Don’t think for a second the media, especially the OWH, wouldn’t pounce on the silence and create some kind of $hitstorm.

3- Or give a statement that is consistent with what you’ve said all year and that a decision will be made once the season ends.  I guess “season ends” could taken a few different ways, so defining it as after any post season tournament makes sense to me.. 

IDK. The only other option would be to retain him tonight but even then you’re going to get heat from critics saying everyone else turned you down.

Not an easy job.....

I guess if you need to say something, then something along the lines of congratulating the team on the effort and mentioning the post season and everyone else can fill in the blanks you're not going to fire a guy over the phone.

29 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

A&M officially fired their coach. not sure if that's been posted yet.

billy kennedy made 2 sweet 16s in the last 4 seasons and won an sec championship. some perspective for anyone that feels bad about firing miles.

also billy kennedy would be a solid hire for us, but i would guess he takes a year off before coaching again.

Edited by TimSmiles

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I guess if you need to say something, then something along the lines of congratulating the team on the effort and mentioning the post season and everyone else can fill in the blanks you're not going to fire a guy over the phone.

That would be the one criticism I might have.  Wording of the statement could have included something congratulating the team (players and staff) on the tourney run and looking forward to a possible  NIT berth.

37 minutes ago, tjp21 said:

1 -  Cutting Miles loose tonight looks really  bad, especially not being there.  Not to mention isn’t real fair to the team or staff if they want to give the a NIT a shot. 

If I recall, the year Georgia fired Fox, they fired him right away and turned down an NIT bid. That's certainly an option Moos could've done as well.

The deal for me is this.

If Moos fires Tim - which I think based on how things are playing out will happen, I will understand given records and that the bench is short due to not getting bodies

If Moos retains Miles I will understand given the injuries that plaque the team this year.

Bottom line is who ever is our coach after Sunday or the end of the NIT run will have my support.

I have no issue with the statement but it should've been released immediately after losing to Wisconsin. No reason an athletic department representative (clearing throat...Mark Boehm) couldn't notify Miles when he gets to locker room and the media soon after of the "end of the season" decision. I just think it is a bad look that Miles and his staff were left in limbo for 30-some minutes.

9 minutes ago, rr52 said:

I have no issue with the statement but it should've been released immediately after losing to Wisconsin. No reason an athletic department representative (clearing throat...Mark Boehm) couldn't notify Miles when he gets to locker room and the media soon after of the "end of the season" decision. I just think it is a bad look that Miles and his staff were left in limbo for 30-some minutes.

30 minutes?  They're in limbo until tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Vinny said:

30 minutes?  They're in limbo until tomorrow.

At Least!  If we get an NIT bid, it’s probably more of the same “we’ll make a decision after the season” BS.  Either way this looks bad for Moos IMO.

1.  You know you’re going to get rid of Miles.  In this case, there’s no need for a statement yesterday.  If you’re actually there like other AD’s, you can show support for the team and congratulate them on a run.  Then fly off to Cali and be there in time to hang with the family a bit before the game.... THE NEXT DAY.  Otherwise, if you are in Cali already, no statement is better than anything.  Don’t give me none of the “you’ll have to handle media questions about Tims future” crap.  That’s you’re job.

2.  You’re not for sure if you’re getting rid of Miles.  In this case what more do you need to see or not see!?!?  Is a few wins or bad loss in the NIT really going to change your mind!?!?  

I am in the camp that thinks Moos was there for a probable loss on Wednesday and didn’t know what to do from there once we won.  

9 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

billy kennedy made 2 sweet 16s in the last 4 seasons and won an sec championship. some perspective for anyone that feels bad about firing miles.

also billy kennedy would be a solid hire for us, but i would guess he takes a year off before coaching again.

Before Kennedy took over A&M they'd been to 6 straight NCAA tournaments and had 7 straight 20 win seasons, with more than 22 wins 5 times.  In Kenedy's 8 years they went to the tournament twice, with 3 20 win seasons and 1 with more than 22.  Kennedy did have two sweet 16 finishes vs. one in the prior 7 years, he did set the school record for victories with 28, and had the second highest final ranking in school history.  He has five NCAA tournament wins in 22 years as a head coach (2 sweet 16s at A&M and a second round appearance with a 31-5 Murray State team.)  Murray State had gone to the NCAA 2 years out of 3 before he took over for Mick Cronin, and he made it 1 year out of 5.  He did win an NCAA game at Murray while Cronin hadn't.

His first NCAA tournament appearance at SE Louisiana was in year 6, at Murray State was in year 4, and at A&M in year 4.  His best seasons at Murray and A&M were in year 4 (31-5, 28-8) with some drop-offs after that.  His other NCAA appearance at A&M was in year 7.

He's 55, if hired at Nebraska he would be the oldest head basketball coach we've ever had.  He was an assistant at Creighton for 2 years during the greatest era in the history of Creighton basketball, in my opinion, the Rick Johnson years.

So - not a home run hire, maybe an upgrade (maybe), would have to expect a four year rebuild, wouldn't expect year-to-year consistency.  You could probably expect one big season somewhere along the line.  At Murray State and A&M he'd probably be considered a step down overall from their previous coach (Cronin and Turgeon).

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

14 hours ago, HuskerCager said:

If we are in the hunt for a new coach, I would think the following qualities would be pretty intriguing:
1.  Has head coaching experience taking a mori-bound major conference program to the Sweet Sixteen

2.  Knows the Big Ten conference landscape intimately, yet...

3.  Gets paid less than the current NU coach and doesn't have a big contract to buy out, and...

4.  Isn't a sexy hire this year, so is under the radar with respect to other major conference program openings.

If I were Bill Moos, I would be falling over myself to talk with this person.  And of course, there is one coach I know of today who has all the attributes above.  You know who I'm talking about, right?

I've been trying to figure out off and on who you are talking about here and I give up.  Who is this?

Bill’s statement was a joke, but  I don’t think he is the one making this decision anyway.  He has options to fly private, it isn’t ungodly expensive.  My wife and I charter when need be, and the window required to arrange for travel is small.  The the new FAA max shut down has put a strain on air travel, but Moos or admin has zero excuses.  Getting ahold of American Airlines last night took a 45+ minute wait. 

Now, the Fred rumors, my source has been very quiet for the last month, BUT my source was/is someone who is friends with an agent who would have or be involved with the negotiation.  He is the one who told me Fred would rather be in a NBA front office than coach in college. 

47 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Before Kennedy took over A&M they'd been to 6 straight NCAA tournaments and had 7 straight 20 win seasons, with more than 22 wins 5 times.  In Kenedy's 8 years they went to the tournament twice, with 3 20 win seasons and 1 with more than 22.  Kennedy did have two sweet 16 finishes vs. one in the prior 7 years, he did set the school record for victories with 28, and had the second highest final ranking in school history.  He has five NCAA tournament wins in 22 years as a head coach (2 sweet 16s at A&M and a second round appearance with a 31-5 Murray State team.)  Murray State had gone to the NCAA 2 years out of 3 before he took over for Mick Cronin, and he made it 1 year out of 5.  He did win an NCAA game at Murray while Cronin hadn't.

His first NCAA tournament appearance at SE Louisiana was in year 6, at Murray State was in year 4, and at A&M in year 4.  His best seasons at Murray and A&M were in year 4 (31-5, 28-8) with some drop-offs after that.  His other NCAA appearance at A&M was in year 7.

He's 55, if hired at Nebraska he would be the oldest head basketball coach we've ever had.  He was an assistant at Creighton for 2 years during the greatest era in the history of Creighton basketball, in my opinion, the Rick Johnson years.

So - not a home run hire, maybe an upgrade (maybe), would have to expect a four year rebuild, wouldn't expect year-to-year consistency.  You could probably expect one big season somewhere along the line.  At Murray State and A&M he'd probably be considered a step down overall from their previous coach (Cronin and Turgeon).

Thanks for perspective on this potential option. Without looking behind the numbers, there will be calls for his hiring. 

5 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

Chris Collins - Northwestern.  Though some further reading seems to indicate that he has a better contract than I thought.

Right now, his run is looking more lightning in a bottle than Miles run that he gets blasted for.  Only difference is he won 1 more game.  I don’t think it’s the “sustained success” we’re looking for.

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Right now, his run is looking more lightning in a bottle than Miles run that he gets blasted for.  Only difference is he won 1 more game.  I don’t think it’s the “sustained success” we’re looking for.

Maybe.  I have no idea if he is getting better support or worse support than Miles.  He's won two more NCAA games at Northwestern than we've done in 120 years.  He would walk in here and know just as much about every program as any other Big Ten coach.  He has to have established recruiting connections in Chicago and maybe the East coast.  These things might count for something. 

Would you rather have Collins or a hot mid-major hire?  Is there one you have your eye on?

Edited by HuskerCager