Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

7 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

the decision has definitely been made. he's not going to fire or extend miles over the phone. moos is in california until sunday.

it was pointless to release that statement and the only justification for moos being in california for 3 days is if he has met with some coaches somewhere in cali.

So it’s either Steve Alford and Luke Walton? ;)

Some local reporters may have reading comprehension issues. Exact press release is below.  Does not say evaluation will begin, rather it will then be concluded, as is drawn to a close.  Big difference as opposed to saying it will then begin.

"We will await Sunday’s announcement to see if we receive an invitation to participate in the NIT. Once our season is completed, my evaluation of our men’s basketball program will draw to a close.”

Edited by husker55
Spelling

What is wrong with people? Bill said decision will be made at the end of the season. Is the season over? Well, we don’t know so obviously can’t make a decision yet. 

Bill’s not dumb, he knows if he’s silent until Sunday or into next week he will have 1,000 interview requests from reporters asking him about Tim. Putting out a statement squashed those writers trying to sell papers the next couple days speculating on Miles job.

Ironic who the ones most vocal about the statement are.

On 3/14/2019 at 9:04 PM, NebrasketballJake said:

Dana Despisers Rejoice!

I don't think this was explicitly stated before but if this extension was because we were  talking to Dana very recently why would we be still talking to Dana still if we have someone locked down? UCLA could have been talking to him which would definitely prompt Oregon to make a move.

6 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

What is wrong with people? Bill said decision will be made at the end of the season. Is the season over? Well, we don’t know so obviously can’t make a decision yet. 

Bill’s not dumb, he knows if he’s silent until Sunday or into next week he will have 1,000 interview requests from reporters asking him about Tim. Putting out a statement squashed those writers trying to sell papers the next couple days speculating on Miles job.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.  In all honesty, it's pretty easy to ignore those interview requests.  I mean, he could just ignore those requests much like the last two AD's have ignored the program the past two years.  

His statement really doesn't squash any speculation, if anything the non-statement statement shined a microscope on the program and has many talking heads in the hoops world bashing him and our athletic department on social media.  Not exactly sure what that accomplished.

In any event, if Miles is gone, and I do think he is, I really hope you are right about Fred. 

20 minutes ago, husker55 said:

Some local reporters may have reading comprehension issues. Exact press release is below.  Does not say evaluation will begin, rather it will then be concluded, as is drawn to a close.  Big difference as opposed to saying it will then begin.

"We will await Sunday’s announcement to see if we receive an invitation to participate in the NIT. Once our season is completed, my evaluation of our men’s basketball program will draw to a close.”

Very clear he has his mind made up and is waiting to fire and hire someone.

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't think this was explicitly stated before but if this extension was because we were  talking to Dana very recently why would we be still talking to Dana still if we have someone locked down? UCLA could have been talking to him which would definitely prompt Oregon to make a move.

That is an outstanding point and I do think we had behind the scenes discussions or feelers put into Dana's camp.  I agree with what you said in a earlier post about Dana's agent might have just played the rumors well; however, I really don't think the extension happens right in the middle of the PAC 12 tournament unless there is at least a little bit of substance.

17 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Then he needs to find someone for his staff that isn’t horrible at writing statements

23 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

It's nice of you to show up again. I was wondering where you went during the BTT.

3 hours ago, HuskerCager said:

If we are in the hunt for a new coach, I would think the following qualities would be pretty intriguing:
1.  Has head coaching experience taking a mori-bound major conference program to the Sweet Sixteen

2.  Knows the Big Ten conference landscape intimately, yet...

3.  Gets paid less than the current NU coach and doesn't have a big contract to buy out, and...

4.  Isn't a sexy hire this year, so is under the radar with respect to other major conference program openings.

If I were Bill Moos, I would be falling over myself to talk with this person.  And of course, there is one coach I know of today who has all the attributes above.  You know who I'm talking about, right?

2 hours ago, MilesDavis said:

Hoiberg was at the MSU/OSU game today in a Spartan shirt. Get the hunch the future Nebraska basketball coach wouldn’t do that. Unless he stayed to watch our game.

Altman is out, Matta rumored to UNLV, Hoiberg either in a great disguise scouting our roster or laughing out loud at the thought of coaching us. Feels like our dream hires are running out quickly. Hope we have a plan already in place. 

Just Who Is this Mori guy that Bounds is going to hire?

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Interesting that Moos hasn't made up his mind yet.  Sixty-four pages, soon to be one hundred pages, and the next coach may be the same coach.  Hmmm.

As much crap as you might get for putting out the statement he did it would be 100x worse if he fired a guy over the phone from California if that is what happens on Sunday.

2 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

That is an outstanding point and I do think we had behind the scenes discussions or feelers put into Dana's camp.  I agree with what you said in a earlier post about Dana's agent might have just played the rumors well; however, I really don't think the extension happens right in the middle of the PAC 12 tournament unless there is at least a little bit of substance.

Timing of the Altman thing was definitely odd.  If it’s as simple as him turning us down why couldn’t the Oregon extension wait a little longer?  It seems more likely to me he knew he wasn’t going to be the guy but was smart enough to capitalize on the situation before we announced anything. 

17 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

As much crap as you might get for putting out the statement he did it would be 100x worse if he fired a guy over the phone from California if that is what happens on Sunday.

Yeah, bad enough he was in California in the first place with the Conference Tournament going on.  You change your schedule if you are the athletic director of a Big 10 team that is still playing.  

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Agree.  Circumstances sort of cornered him into a no win situation.

The tourney run coupled with all the attention for leaving town with the team still alive and a post season berth now in limbo made it an almost impossible situation to handle cleanly.

What cound he he have done to put the fire out? 

1 -  Cutting Miles loose tonight looks really  bad, especially not being there.  Not to mention isn’t real fair to the team or staff if they want to give the a NIT a shot. 

2 - Say nothing and speculation continues to get even crazier.  Don’t think for a second the media, especially the OWH, wouldn’t pounce on the silence and create some kind of $hitstorm.

3- Or give a statement that is consistent with what you’ve said all year and that a decision will be made once the season ends.  I guess “season ends” could taken a few different ways, so defining it as after any post season tournament makes sense to me.. 

IDK. The only other option would be to retain him tonight but even then you’re going to get heat from critics saying everyone else turned you down.

Not an easy job.....