Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

15 hours ago, brfrad said:

Watson has his best shooting percentage of his career.  Palmer, Petteway, and White were on the end of the bench with their previous teams.  2 out of the 3 ended up being All Conference.

Here's a question if Miles is not a very good coach.  How many coaches would you trade Miles for in the Big 10?

No brainers are Izzo, Behlein, Painter.

Probably trading are Gard, Turgeon, and Holtzman

About the same are Miller, Fran, and Pikell

Not trading him for Pitino, Chambers, Underwood, and Collins.

This season really went downhill when Copeland got injured.  I know we were struggling a little even with Copeland.  But, I feel 2 or 3 wins were doable.  Purdue, Ohio State, and maybe Illinois.  That gets us 18 or 19 wins, and probably in the tournament.  

Here are some stats for everyone.

With Copeland (against Power 6 teams) :

FG % :  44.1 %

3 PT % :  34.6 %

FT % : 74.8 %

PPG : 72.2

Point margin : 3.6

RPG : 30.0

Reb margin : -5.0

Opp FG % : 42.8 %

Opp 3 PT % : 31.7 %

Opp FT % : 71.4 %

PPG : 68.6

RPG : 35.0

Without Copeland (against Power 6 teams) :

FG % : 38.3 %

3 PT % : 31.5 %

FT % : 64.3 %

PPG : 64.7

Point margin : -10.1

RPG : 33.3

Rebound margin : -5.1

Opp FG % : 45.8 %

Opp 3 PT % : 39.3 %

Opp FT % : 68.1 %

PPG : 74.8

RPG : 38.4

I was probably just overreacting to a lousy season.  I think Miles is a good coach.  You don't think he is a good coach.  I don't think either of us are going to change their mind.  I just think our chance of landing a coach I would trade Miles for are slim.  Maybe I'm not in the know, and coaches are lining up to take over a historically challenged team.  

Each one of those guys you are not taking over Miles have better resumes than him.  Miles is in his 15th season as a D-1 coach and has never won a postseason game.  His(Nebraska’s) struggles on the offensive end have been talked about plenty on here. I think that’s where he especially falls short as a high major coach. 

I dont think Hoibergs coming. I’d love to be wrong. 

Related to Miles, but also for the next coach. Shouldn't player retention at Nebraska be more difficult than at other P5 schools? Miles recruited over guys like Morrow and Jacobson with Roby, Palmer, and Copeland. Would have loved to have had Morrow and Jacobson on the bench, but why would guys like that want to stay and be bench players at a program with a history of losing? So they transfer either to lower level schools with guarantees of more playing time or to schools that are more successful. So what's the alternative? Recruit worse players that are satisfied with being relegated to bench roles, but you know they will stay for 4 years?

On 3/5/2019 at 4:04 PM, HoiBall said:

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Iowa, Northwestern

When those teams aren't winning their fans are no shows. And teams like Iowa and Maryland have a tough time filling up their arena consistently (outside of a Michigan St, Michigan matchup) when they are ranked in the top 20.

I have gone to games at Minnesota and Iowa...While I liked them for the old charm of them...They are both Dumps and I think the casual fan isn't going to the game for the amenities and the fun that can be had other than watching basketball.

You will always attract the basketball junkies, but how do you get the casual fans to go when you aren't winning?

11 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I have gone to games at Minnesota and Iowa...While I liked them for the old charm of them...They are both Dumps and I think the casual fan isn't going to the game for the amenities and the fun that can be had other than watching basketball.

You will always attract the basketball junkies, but how do you get the casual fans to go when you aren't winning?

This is a true statement across the country and across sports.

Attendance to live sporting events are taking a major hit this decade as alternatives and accessibility to those alternatives increase. This is a problem even at the highest levels like the NFL and MLB. Improving the in-game experience and amenities is one way to try and attract more people to an event, beyond those basketball junkies who are there even if they had to sit in lawn chairs.

4 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

This is a true statement across the country and across sports.

Attendance to live sporting events are taking a major hit this decade as alternatives and accessibility to those alternatives increase. This is a problem even at the highest levels like the NFL and MLB. Improving the in-game experience and amenities is one way to try and attract more people to an event, beyond those basketball junkies who are there even if they had to sit in lawn chairs.

The basketball junkies would probably prefer the lawn chairs, as it would keep the other yahoos out of there.

46 minutes ago, avfan2121 said:

Related to Miles, but also for the next coach. Shouldn't player retention at Nebraska be more difficult than at other P5 schools? Miles recruited over guys like Morrow and Jacobson with Roby, Palmer, and Copeland. Would have loved to have had Morrow and Jacobson on the bench, but why would guys like that want to stay and be bench players at a program with a history of losing? So they transfer either to lower level schools with guarantees of more playing time or to schools that are more successful. So what's the alternative? Recruit worse players that are satisfied with being relegated to bench roles, but you know they will stay for 4 years?

Morrows problem was he didn't accept his position.  he left thinking he could play the 3 position....What the *&$*..  I put no blame on Miles with Morrow transferring because of this.  At some point the kid has to realize his role and his strengths.  Morrows was rebounding and defense.  He plays the same position at Marquette as he played here so it didn't benefit him much by transferring.

37 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Morrows problem was he didn't accept his position.  he left thinking he could play the 3 position....What the *&$*..  I put no blame on Miles with Morrow transferring because of this.  At some point the kid has to realize his role and his strengths.  Morrows was rebounding and defense.  He plays the same position at Marquette as he played here so it didn't benefit him much by transferring. 

He didn't really think he was going to play the 3.   That was just the cover up for not wanting to be an undersized 5 on a bad team.

31 minutes ago, nustudent said:

He didn't really think he was going to play the 3.   That was just the cover up for not wanting to be an undersized 5 on a bad team.

I get that we're in message board space and you have no reason to believe me over anyone else, and without anyone actually getting a quote from Ed it'll probably never be settled to everyone's liking, but OP isn't wrong on that, and Ed did have (seriously misguided) visions of moving more to a wing position.

27 minutes ago, nustudent said:

When it comes to Morrow I would believe anything like if he transferred there because he wanted to hang out with Jabari Parker or he really liked going to "The Market" as a child.

4 hours ago, avfan2121 said:

Morrow and Jacobsen are both going to play in the NCAA Tournament.

Some rumblings from Austin that Shaka Smart and the Longhorns might mutually agree to separate.  That may be contingent on an East Coast job opening coming available. There is buzz, no pun intended, that Buzz Williams could be interested in Texas A & M if Billy Kennedy is let go.  So Shaka to Va. Tech might be a possibility.  

42 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

Lots of local talent. I like Tonje as well. That will be a miss. All this fauning  over a barely 6 footer from Bellevue and the 6-5 kid doesn’t get a look? Class size hurts I know but I would have offered at least a grey shirt

I don't think this is going to get you on the coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list if this trend continues

4 hours ago, DOATHLON said:

Lots of local talent. I like Tonje as well. That will be a miss. All this fauning  over a barely 6 footer from Bellevue and the 6-5 kid doesn’t get a look? Class size hurts I know but I would have offered at least a grey shirt

"Dammit, Jim, we should open up the checkbook and bring in Calipari.  That's the only hope we have of winning in the Big Ten with the mid-major talent from Nebraska we'll expect him to recruit every year."

43 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

? I can see talent. Might have some background in that. I will repeat again, the talent in the State is approaching or at early 1990's level. Not sure why you think that comment has anything to do with Nebraska's next hire? 

So, what's your background in seeing talent?

You've piqued my curiosity.