Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

21 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

What in the world is going on at Ohio State?

Chris Holtmann: $7.1 million

Ryan Day: $4.5 million

I understand Day is a first time head coach but that’s crazy. Who knows maybe we will pay above $5 million for a head men’s basketball coach ?. Wouldn’t be the first backwards salaried athletic department in the B1G. 

Whether the buyout is included in that figure or not, he's sure has seemed to find himself a pretty nice paycheck.

@HoiBall, as incapable as our department seems to be at times, I'm just struggling to see them spending much more than we're already paying Miles. But who knows, Moos has been known to go on big spending sprees at WSU. But if his standard is for the team to be competitive in the conference, I also think he'll be willing to pay a competitive salary in the conference.

I'd like to see that competitive value be on the head coach + assistant level and not just focus on throwing all of our cash to the coach. We're going to need a lot more help than one person to get us to the next level of competition.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:59 PM, brfrad said:

Your hatred for Miles being the coach is pretty much the same as Norm going to bat for Miles all the time.  Miles is not the worst coach in America you make him out to be.  There are coaches at power 5 schools who are worse than Miles.  He has his flaws.  He tried to fix one, and was told he could no longer do it.  He lost his best player at a time they were projected as a 6 seed.  They haven't recovered.

Good news for you is Miles will most likely be let go from Nebraska next Wednesday.  And when we strike out on our top 5 choices, and end up with another mid-major coach, who may not win enough for you, you can tell us you knew how crappy of a coach he was.

I don't hate Miles at all.  He just isn't a very good coach.  Unfortunate as he has the personality I want in a coach.  Your statement that I think he is the worst coach in America is ludicrous as well. 

If you want to be a defeatist with a loser mentality that is cool.  Not me though.  I strive to excel in all I do, and I want the things I support do strive for that as well.  

Edited by royalfan

Hasn't there only been a few coaches that have gone more years in a power league than Miles without winning a tournament game and kept their job?  Two of those few being the same guys(hamilton at two different schools where he had them in the dance frequently).  Not sure why so many want Miles to have more time.  We only made it once(although I truly believe it should be twice and basically judge him as such).  

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

I don't hate Miles at all.  He just isn't a very good coach.  Unfortunate as he has the personality I want in a coach.  Your statement that I think he is the worst coach in America is ludicrous as well. 

If you want to be a defeatist with a loser mentality that is cool.  Not me though.  I strive to excel in all I do, and I want the things I support do strive for that as well.  

Watson has his best shooting percentage of his career.  Palmer, Petteway, and White were on the end of the bench with their previous teams.  2 out of the 3 ended up being All Conference.

Here's a question if Miles is not a very good coach.  How many coaches would you trade Miles for in the Big 10?

No brainers are Izzo, Behlein, Painter.

Probably trading are Gard, Turgeon, and Holtzman

About the same are Miller, Fran, and Pikell

Not trading him for Pitino, Chambers, Underwood, and Collins.

This season really went downhill when Copeland got injured.  I know we were struggling a little even with Copeland.  But, I feel 2 or 3 wins were doable.  Purdue, Ohio State, and maybe Illinois.  That gets us 18 or 19 wins, and probably in the tournament.  

Here are some stats for everyone.

With Copeland (against Power 6 teams) :

FG % :  44.1 %

3 PT % :  34.6 %

FT % : 74.8 %

PPG : 72.2

Point margin : 3.6

RPG : 30.0

Reb margin : -5.0

Opp FG % : 42.8 %

Opp 3 PT % : 31.7 %

Opp FT % : 71.4 %

PPG : 68.6

RPG : 35.0

Without Copeland (against Power 6 teams) :

FG % : 38.3 %

3 PT % : 31.5 %

FT % : 64.3 %

PPG : 64.7

Point margin : -10.1

RPG : 33.3

Rebound margin : -5.1

Opp FG % : 45.8 %

Opp 3 PT % : 39.3 %

Opp FT % : 68.1 %

PPG : 74.8

RPG : 38.4

I was probably just overreacting to a lousy season.  I think Miles is a good coach.  You don't think he is a good coach.  I don't think either of us are going to change their mind.  I just think our chance of landing a coach I would trade Miles for are slim.  Maybe I'm not in the know, and coaches are lining up to take over a historically challenged team.  

18 minutes ago, brfrad said:

No brainers are: Izzo, Behlein, Painter.

Probably trading are: Gard, Turgeon, Holtmann, Fran (Results & Coaching, he's a grade A ass though), Miller

Not trading him for: Pitino, Chambers, and Collins, Pikiell, Underwood

Added my opinion to this. I wouldn't trade the bottom coaches for Tim, but I also think that those schools wouldn't trade their coaches for Tim either. Basically if we asked other fans for their opinion, Miles ends up on that last line with Pitino, Chambers and Collins, Pikiell, Underwood. 

*Miller, Pikiell and Underwood still very hard to slot because they are so new to their schools. 

Edited by The Polish Rifle

24 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Watson has his best shooting percentage of his career.  Palmer, Petteway, and White were on the end of the bench with their previous teams.  2 out of the 3 ended up being All Conference.

Here's a question if Miles is not a very good coach.  How many coaches would you trade Miles for in the Big 10?

This season really went downhill when Copeland got injured.  I know we were struggling a little even with Copeland.  But, I feel 2 or 3 wins were doable.  Purdue, Ohio State, and maybe Illinois.  That gets us 18 or 19 wins, and probably in the tournament.  

I was probably just overreacting to a lousy season.  I think Miles is a good coach.  You don't think he is a good coach.  I don't think either of us are going to change their mind.  I just think our chance of landing a coach I would trade Miles for are slim.  Maybe I'm not in the know, and coaches are lining up to take over a historically challenged team.  

I think it's fair to say that we were struggling with Copeland before his injury.  But as you mentioned, I also think it's fair to say we would't have gone 3-8 with him in our final 11 either.

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Added my opinion to this. I wouldn't trade the bottom coaches for Tim, but I also think that those schools wouldn't trade their coaches for Tim either. Basically if we asked other fans for their opinion, Miles ends up on that last line with Pitino, Chambers and Collins, Pikiell, Underwood. 

*Miller, Pikiell and Underwood still very hard to slot because they are so new to their schools. 

I guess Fran doesn't care enough about defense to ever win big anywhere.  Which is why I'm not in favor of getting an offensive minded coach.  Like you said, Miller is new to Indiana.  They has a lot more recent history of success.  

Don't get me wrong, Miles has his flaws.  Player retention being the biggest one.  He recruits well to make up for his lack of X's and O's.  If he could just get those players to stay, he would have probably got us a W in the tournament.  

13 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I guess Fran doesn't care enough about defense to ever win big anywhere.  Which is why I'm not in favor of getting an offensive minded coach.  Like you said, Miller is new to Indiana.  They has a lot more recent history of success.  

Don't get me wrong, Miles has his flaws.  Player retention being the biggest one.  He recruits well to make up for his lack of X's and O's.  If he could just get those players to stay, he would have probably got us a W in the tournament.  

If we can't get a better coach, then definitely keep Coach Miles. I think Coach Miles in terms of B1G coaches is somewhere between 7-11 out of 14. Where we differ is I think we can get a guy that is considered in the top half of coaches in the B1G. Someone who if we made this list, they would fall 5-9 year in and year out. Its definitely an interesting conversation.

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

If we can't get a better coach, then definitely keep Coach Miles. I think Coach Miles in terms of B1G coaches is somewhere between 7-11 out of 14. Where we differ is I think we can get a guy that is considered in the top half of coaches in the B1G. Someone who if we made this list, they would fall 5-9 year in and year out. Its definitely an interesting conversation.

I agree with that.

19 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Player retention isn’t close to his biggest flaw IMO

Fred is RED.  Hope that is true from what i've heard very recently.  Sip on the radio this afternoon even added a little more to speculation by saying that he thought a new hire would happen very early next week which would eliminate any coaches in the tourney, so he must be hearing some similar chatter. Thanks to Tim for his efforts and I hope he lands another gig soon, but I think Moos and Bounds have extremely high expectations for all Husker programs.  Will be an interesting week. 

Just now, husker55 said:

Fred is RED.  Hope that is true from what i've heard very recently.  Sip on the radio this afternoon even added a little more to speculation by saying that he thought a new hire would happen very early next week which would eliminate any coaches in the tourney, so he must be hearing some similar chatter. Thanks to Tim for his efforts and I hope he lands another gig soon, but I think Moos and Bounds have extremely high expectations for all Husker programs.  Will be an interesting week. 

@HoiBall  You buying the first round?  ?

18 minutes ago, husker55 said:

I forget what the exact quote was but during that Goodman podcast he essentially said that Nebraska should hire Hoiberg if he wants to come here so in a sense we'd have Tim's reluctant blessing in this situation.

And really it would make sense for him to sign on early if coming here is what he wants to do because him waiting around for something better would probably end up with him finding that.

Just now, B-town hoopsfan said:

It’s the players he lost not his retention rate that killed us. Consistently lost guys who were starters or guys who would of been starters if back the next year 

Not saying it helped.   But that happens. 

His overall roster management killed us.   Only one semester in his tenure where we were at the full 13 spots of recruited scholarship guys.   To compound that issue, not only did he not fill the spots, because he made his living off of transfers, a great deal of the time, we had at least one, if not two players sitting out ineligible.   He basically averaged 2.5 open spots every year when adding the spots that weren't filled with the spots that weren't eligible.   Compound that with injuries and recruiting misses and thats why we were consistently short on depth.

Also, while doing a good job of bringing in individual talent, he didn't really bring in talent that fit well together.  More of a throw it at the wall and hope it sticks approach.

Obviously the frontcourt management was a major fail as well.   He hitched his wagon to Jordy, not once, but twice, and it cost him at least  3 players and quite possibly his job.  Not pursuing a grad transfer big (even as a role player) was nothing short of negligence last spring.   

MIles lost some good players.  Players that could have helped.  But no one that couldn't have been replaced/loss mitigated had he been doing the other things right.

1 minute ago, DOATHLON said:

Miles doesn't develop shooters. That's his biggest flaw. Secondly he is a horrific half court offensive coach and is clueless running any set of our of bounds plays. 

These as well.   I think the latter half of your post greatly impacts the first part of your post as well

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

His retention was statistically no worse than the rest of college basketball

Biggest issue is in game coaching.  However, retention is big because of the types of guys he loses. He isn’t losing guys because they aren’t getting good minutes, White, Jacobsen, Morrow....  

You all are overthinking it and over analyzing it.  The head coach is in charge of, and responsible for the entire program.  ANY issue, ANY flaw, ANY weakness falls on the head coach.  No need to nitpick, no need to dance on the grave, no need to look beyond outcome.  Joe died, hard to blame him, since he died whilst doing what he loved.  Moe's program had warts and he left.  Danny's programs had flaws, so good-bye.  Barry's program had flaws, and he opted out stage right.  Doc's programs had flaws, so, see ya later.  Now Coach Mile's program developed flaws...apparently from day one.  So...we respect what you did for us, we paid you well, you have had your opportunity, but...turn out the lights, the party's over.

Next...

5 hours ago, brfrad said:

Yes if you think Miles is a good coach, we aren't going to agree.  I would take all but Chambers, Pikell, and possibly Pitino.  Fran and Gard wouldn't be much of an upgrade.  Not sure on Underwood but would take my chances since Miles record is really poor.  If Miles were smart enough to hire a great X and O guy it could work.  He hasn't proven to be though unfortunately.  

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I forget what the exact quote was but during that Goodman podcast he essentially said that Nebraska should hire Hoiberg if he wants to come here so in a sense we'd have Tim's reluctant blessing in this situation.

And really it would make sense for him to sign on early if coming here is what he wants to do because him waiting around for something better would probably end up with him finding that.

Are you saying that Miles alluded to Hoiberg getting the job if he is fired or was it Goodman who said it? I haven't listened to the podcast.