Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

“Sometimes, you have to be a little selfish in going for your goals,” Hunter said Monday afternoon. “I just thought getting back into my region would make it easier.

“I’m not typically known as a Midwest guy. This opportunity to get back to the Northeast will help me in my career.”

Another attraction for Hunter at UConn was the hiring of assistant Kimani Young from Minnesota. Young, with strong New York recruiting ties, is close friends with Hunter, who wants to broaden his connections that mostly have been concentrated in the Washington, D.C., area and North Carolina.

--

I think the only assumptions being made are by people that are trying to pin Kenya leaving on Moos. Kenya spent his entire career and life on the east coast and that's where he returned (to a school that won 2 NCAA championships since 2010). He said himself that the move was to climb the latter career wise. If someone has some actual evidence that Kenya left because of Miles contract, ill gladly listen, but at this point the only evidence out there, disputes that fact.

Polish I agree with your thought, however, this narrative could be nothing more than "coach speak".  I am leaving but I will do it in a polite way so as not to burn bridges.  That said, I think he wanted to get back east and it worked at the time he left.

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

“Sometimes, you have to be a little selfish in going for your goals,” Hunter said Monday afternoon. “I just thought getting back into my region would make it easier.

“I’m not typically known as a Midwest guy. This opportunity to get back to the Northeast will help me in my career.”

Another attraction for Hunter at UConn was the hiring of assistant Kimani Young from Minnesota. Young, with strong New York recruiting ties, is close friends with Hunter, who wants to broaden his connections that mostly have been concentrated in the Washington, D.C., area and North Carolina.

--

I think the only assumptions being made are by people that are trying to pin Kenya leaving on Moos. Kenya spent his entire career and life on the east coast and that's where he returned (to a school that won 2 NCAA championships since 2010). He said himself that the move was to climb the latter career wise. If someone has some actual evidence that Kenya left because of Miles contract, ill gladly listen, but at this point the only evidence out there, disputes that fact.

"Hey, Kenya, I know this seems like a good career move, but we have decided to take a new approach with Husker basketball.  We are "all in", like we are in football.  Here's what that means to you..

• Coach Miles is getting a 3 year extension. We want recruits to know he is our coach and we believe in him (and you).
  • His assistants will be getting significant raises with extra term guaranteed
  • We will make recruiting travel easier for the assistants, like we are for the football coaches
  • Did I mention we are giving you a raise?
  • We understand you want a career path, and we are on board with that.  Tell us how we can help.

We think you and Coach are going to be successful and we want to give you whatever support we can."

I guess I am making the assumption that this would have kept Hunter here.  Maybe not.  But if Moos (or whomever is making the call at the University) wants to tell us fans that they care about basketball and are dedicated to make us relevant, this discussion should've happened then and, more importantly, should happen with whomever comes in next. 

30 minutes ago, 89Husker said:

"Hey, Kenya, I know this seems like a good career move, but we have decided to take a new approach with Husker basketball.  We are "all in", like we are in football.  Here's what that means to you..

• Coach Miles is getting a 3 year extension. We want recruits to know he is our coach and we believe in him (and you).
  • His assistants will be getting significant raises with extra term guaranteed
  • We will make recruiting travel easier for the assistants, like we are for the football coaches
  • Did I mention we are giving you a raise?
  • We understand you want a career path, and we are on board with that.  Tell us how we can help.

We think you and Coach are going to be successful and we want to give you whatever support we can."

I guess I am making the assumption that this would have kept Hunter here.  Maybe not.  But if Moos (or whomever is making the call at the University) wants to tell us fans that they care about basketball and are dedicated to make us relevant, this discussion should've happened then and, more importantly, should happen with whomever comes in next. 

I get what you’re saying, but I think in college athletics you do need to jump around to move up. So not ‘UConn is a better situation then Nebraska’ but more ‘UConn is a different place then Nebraska”. You gain more by getting new connections on a new staff, playing in a new conf, recruiting different HS - those go a long way on a resume. Just my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

I think Miles not getting an extension more or less sold him on his decision, but it wasn't the deciding factor.  I think a Miles extension and raise could have gotten him to stay, but you can play the what if game for everything.  The only thing that truly matters is the "what happened" game.

Yep, I agree with this. The whole reason this debate was brought up, is the fact that I hate that the AD is used as a crutch and dismiss the actual on court results. I've admitted multiple times that the Administration seemed to drop the ball on certain things, but the same thing can be said about the administration for Mike Riley - doesn't mean he was the right guy for NU. I'm at the point where, yes, the AD has gotten some things wrong (he's been here a year, lets give him a chance to right some wrongs), Coach Miles has had 7 years, and the things he can control on the court, are not up to standards - it is time to move in a new direction. 

7 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Yep, I agree with this. The whole reason this debate was brought up, is the fact that I hate that the AD is used as a crutch and dismiss the actual on court results. I've admitted multiple times that the Administration seemed to drop the ball on certain things, but the same thing can be said about the administration for Mike Riley - doesn't mean he was the right guy for NU. I'm at the point where, yes, the AD has gotten some things wrong (he's been here a year, lets give him a chance to right some wrongs), Coach Miles has had 7 years, and the things he can control on the court, are not up to standards - it is time to move in a new direction. 

Well said

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. If if if. We did not get screwed last year. No other team with a similar resume as ours in past years made the big dance. I don’t know how many times people need to say it...but conference record is not a criteria. If you want to say we got screwed because our schedule sucked...I can get on board.  But in typical Tim Miles fashion, we ended up with 1-8 in group 1 games. 

Also, this team was not making the big dance this year with Xavier/Kenya. You are making a huge assumption that Xavier would be the same offensive player under Miles(doubtful). And #2 you are going against the narrative that this year was mental and not a talent/coaching issue.

Nevada is 1 - 1 against tier 1 teams this year.  Both games were against Utah State, who are 30th in NET.  Tier 1 for home games is 1 - 30.  If that is all you could say for keeping a team out, Nevada should be out, yet they are projected as a 6 seed.

My guess is that Xavier has a freshmen season like Watson.  8.6 points a game.  1.9 rebounds.  2.4 assists per game.  

This narrative that our players have sucked since Miles got here gets old.  Players have improved under Miles.  Maybe not as much as we all hoped.

Edited by brfrad

4 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

That was something...I can't argue his appreciation for Miles, he admires all of Miles good qualities. He thinks we should of been a 4 seed last year, which tells me he doesn't really have his finger on the pulse of CBB or he is a massive homer. He was also all over the map on his football to basketball comparisons. We shouldn't fire Miles because looked at what happened to football after we fired Solich. But it was good to fire Riley because football is way different than basketball, and we need more time in basketball. Big flaws in a lot of his arguments, it read as a message board post.

36 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

what's the point of this article?

everyone and their mother knows miles is gone. moos gave him a year to prove himself and he failed. plain and simple. blame it on the injury or jordy or whatever, miles failed this season and it was an all or nothing this season. anyone who is defending miles at this point is just wasting their time.

For all the Miles' haters, as well as the people who think Miles didn't deserve an extension AND didn't think we should have been in the tourney last year, let me ask you this: Do you think Moos extends Miles had the committee selected us? Same exact team, same exact resume. I guarantee he does, which makes it all the more frustrating he didn't. We were 22 and freaking 9 in the regular season. That was our best since, what, 1991?! 

Edited by jason2486

5 hours ago, brfrad said:

This narrative that our players have sucked since Miles got here gets old.  Players have improved under Miles.  Maybe not as much as we all hoped.

How many players truly got better under Miles and his staff though? To me it’s hard to say, bc he had so few 4 year guys. Most of his players transferred out or in and stayed relatively the same. 

Shavon Shields is one name I could think of

19 minutes ago, Omahusker said:

How many players truly got better under Miles and his staff though? To me it’s hard to say, bc he had so few 4 year guys. Most of his players transferred out or in and stayed relatively the same. 

Shavon Shields is one name I could think of

Tai Webster improved quite a bit along with Shavon Shields... I'd throw Glynn Watson in the mix along with Brandon Ubel (who Miles inherited from Doc...)

Tai Webster improved quite a bit along with Shavon Shields... I'd throw Glynn Watson in the mix along with Brandon Ubel (who Miles inherited from Doc...)
I'd also toss Tanner in there, and even though he was a transfer, I'd say Evan Taylor as well -- not necessarily from the offensive end as much, but by the time he left that guy was a pretty lockdown defender (and better competitor) and those are teachable skills too that I would posit he improved in quite noticeably while here. Might even suggest similar for Benny Parker by the time it was said and done. They were never brought in to be scorers, but all three have played a pretty vital role on their teams and that takes coaching (as well as personality management) and all three, at least as I see it, left better than they arrived.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I get what you’re saying, but I think in college athletics you do need to jump around to move up. So not ‘UConn is a better situation then Nebraska’ but more ‘UConn is a different place then Nebraska”. You gain more by getting new connections on a new staff, playing in a new conf, recruiting different HS - those go a long way on a resume. Just my 2 cents.

than.....

What in the world is going on at Ohio State?

Chris Holtmann: $7.1 million

Ryan Day: $4.5 million

I understand Day is a first time head coach but that’s crazy. Who knows maybe we will pay above $5 million for a head men’s basketball coach ?. Wouldn’t be the first backwards salaried athletic department in the B1G.