Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

6 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

I've heard that we've reached out to 4-5 guys and we won't go for a mid major coach until they all tell us no. If i had to guess who they were i'd say...

Hoiberg

Altman

Matta

Ed Cooley?

Steve Alford?

Oh Dear Lord I hope that Alford is not one of them.  What a disaster of a hire that would be.  He's failed horribly at Iowa and UCLA, and let a rapist stay on his team at Iowa.  Hard pass on this buffoon.

13 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

thoughts on jon scheyer? associate head coach at duke right now. is he the coach k successor or would he consider taking another job?

Coach K expects his assistants to go out and get head coaching jobs. He has said that is what he prepares them for. Also, I would think that even if Scheyer is the anointed one to take over for Coach K, he would want Scheyer to have experience as a head coach somewhere before coming back to the media buzz saw that the ACC and Duke can be. Of course, that would mean that Scheyer would be here or wherever else he might go for a limited time and the AD would know that in advance. 

2 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

I've heard that we've reached out to 4-5 guys and we won't go for a mid major coach until they all tell us no. If i had to guess who they were i'd say...

Hoiberg

Altman

Matta

Ed Cooley?

Steve Alford?

To be accurate, one of those names actually reached out to Nebraska initially.

2 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

I've heard that we've reached out to 4-5 guys and we won't go for a mid major coach until they all tell us no.

If the actual plan is call up the 4-5 guys on Moos' notepad and then just start cold calling people who made the NCAA tourney I feel like I haven't been harsh enough for the last couple of weeks.

5 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Honestly, I agree. If Moos has a guy already lined up that is going to be huge (Hoiberg, Woj, etc.) then sure go with it, but if not keep Tim.

If you think about it, he should have made the tournament 3 times in 7 years. 1 in 2014, 2 last year when we got screwed out of our minds (13-5 seriously), and 3rd this year had the AD given him a reasonable extension and Kenya/Xavier stayed. 

24 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Honestly, I agree. If Moos has a guy already lined up that is going to be huge (Hoiberg, Woj, etc.) then sure go with it, but if not keep Tim.

If you think about it, he should have made the tournament 3 times in 7 years. 1 in 2014, 2 last year when we got screwed out of our minds (13-5 seriously), and 3rd this year had the AD given him a reasonable extension and Kenya/Xavier stayed. 

How do you know somebody is going to be huge until you give them a chance to be huge? 

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

0*87xXb0XYh2cn9TNu.jpg

Right? It's funny, he mentioned Hoiberg and Woj as guys who would be huge. Well guess what, Marquette hired Woj when he had no previous head coaching experience. He was an assistant at Duke. Iowa State hired Hoiberg when he had no previous head coaching experience, or any coaching experience at all for that matter. 

I'm guessing people wouldn't consider Jon Scheyer a "huge" hire. No different than Woj to Marquette though, other than Woj was 37 when hired and Scheyer is 31. 

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

I'm looking at the resume and see and pretty good record and a very good record this year but do people consider Wojo to be a sure thing winner? 

He's in Year 5 at Marquette, a school that Buzz Williams was having a ton of success at, and he has 0 NCAA Tournament wins and this will be appearance #2 in 5 years. 

No, people just get enamored and caught up with the present day. 

Last year at this time when Marquette was 18-12 regular season and 9-9 Big East, and we were 22-9, 13-5 Big Ten, people would have laughed their faces off at firing Miles to hire Woj.

54 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Still peddling that false narrative about Kenya staying with a Miles extension I see. Also if Zion committed we could of been a sweet 16 team, better tack that on Coach Miles resume. 

5 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Still peddling that false narrative about Kenya staying with a Miles extension I see. Also if Zion committed we could of been a sweet 16 team, better tack that on Coach Miles resume. 

Except of course that Xavier was committed already, so the mention of Zion really makes zero sense.

5 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I mean, you can assume it's a false narrative. But it's just as likely there are also a few more factors involved than what Kenya publicly said, too. Xavier jumped when Kenya left, so that part is pretty established. We keep Kenya, we keep Xavier. And it's entirely logical to believe that the lack of job security here played a pretty significant role in Kenya leaving, although that's not exactly something he's going to say in public. I just...wouldn't say it's entirely false.

18 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Except of course that Xavier was committed already, so the mention of Zion really makes zero sense.

I'm illustrating a point. We can play 'What If' all day - but the fact of the matter is Miles has been to 1 NCAA tournament in 7 years. I also don't like to see people pin the Kenya situation on Moos, when in fact all the evidence out there says Kenya moved on to move up the coaching latter (which is why he came to Nebraska in the 1st place FYI).  

18 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

I mean, you can assume it's a false narrative. But it's just as likely there are also a few more factors involved than what Kenya publicly said, too. Xavier jumped when Kenya left, so that part is pretty established. We keep Kenya, we keep Xavier. And it's entirely logical to believe that the lack of job security here played a pretty significant role in Kenya leaving, although that's not exactly something he's going to say in public. I just...wouldn't say it's entirely false.

“Sometimes, you have to be a little selfish in going for your goals,” Hunter said Monday afternoon. “I just thought getting back into my region would make it easier.

“I’m not typically known as a Midwest guy. This opportunity to get back to the Northeast will help me in my career.”

Another attraction for Hunter at UConn was the hiring of assistant Kimani Young from Minnesota. Young, with strong New York recruiting ties, is close friends with Hunter, who wants to broaden his connections that mostly have been concentrated in the Washington, D.C., area and North Carolina.

--

I think the only assumptions being made are by people that are trying to pin Kenya leaving on Moos. Kenya spent his entire career and life on the east coast and that's where he returned (to a school that won 2 NCAA championships since 2010). He said himself that the move was to climb the latter career wise. If someone has some actual evidence that Kenya left because of Miles contract, ill gladly listen, but at this point the only evidence out there, disputes that fact.

21 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I am not so sure that you can call it a "false narrative."  You see, we don't know what happened had we extended Miles more.  Could he have stayed?  Yes.  Could he still have left?  Yes.  

1 hour ago, noahjb24 said:

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. If if if. We did not get screwed last year. No other team with a similar resume as ours in past years made the big dance. I don’t know how many times people need to say it...but conference record is not a criteria. If you want to say we got screwed because our schedule sucked...I can get on board.  But in typical Tim Miles fashion, we ended up with 1-8 in group 1 games. 

Also, this team was not making the big dance this year with Xavier/Kenya. You are making a huge assumption that Xavier would be the same offensive player under Miles(doubtful). And #2 you are going against the narrative that this year was mental and not a talent/coaching issue.

Edited by huskerbaseball13

2 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. If if if. We did not get screwed last year. No other team with a similar resume as ours in past years made the big dance. I don’t know how many times people need to say it...but conference record is not a criteria. If you want to say we got screwed because our schedule sucked...I can get on board.  But in typical Tim Miles fashion, we ended up with 1-8 in group 1 games. 

Also, this team was not making the big dance this year with Xavier/Kenya. You are making a huge assumption that Xavier would be the same offensive player under Miles(doubtful). And #2 you are going against the narrative that this year was mental and not a talent/coaching issue.

"If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle" hahahaha