Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

5 hours ago, brfrad said:

Miles did have shiny new products.  He used those.  But, those shiny new products didn't help as much as making the tournament his second year, which is supremely better than Doc or Collier.  He went a different route for the most part to bring in talent.  He did it through players who struggled at bigger schools, and wanted to transfer.  

A couple records for you (as I am a big stats guy)

Nee (1st 7 years at NU)

Non-Conference  82 - 29 (.739)

Conference 44 - 63 (.411)

Ranked opponents 10 - 32 (.238)

3 NCAA Tournaments (0 - 3)

2 NIT (5 - 2)

Conference Tournaments (2 - 7)

Collier

Non-Conference 51 - 25 (.671)

Conference 38 - 66 (.365)

Ranked Opponents 8 - 26 (.235)

2 NIT (2 - 2)

Conference Tournaments (2 - 6)

Doc

Non-Conference 65 - 19 (.774)

Conference 36 - 70 (.340)

Ranked Opponents 8-24 (.250)

3 NIT 1 - 3

Conference Tournaments 2 - 6

Miles

Non-Conference 58 - 29 (.667)

Conference 54 - 82 (.397)

Ranked Opponents 9 - 37 (.196)

1 NCAA (0 - 1)

1 NIT (0 - 1)

Conference Tournaments (3 - 6)

Wish I could upvote this more than once -- not because of the results, but because of the context it provides. I just don't understand the lather-rinse-repeat seven-year cycle -- history shows it's ineffective, despite a variety of coaches (and ADs) involved. At some point it seems like it's worth it to ask the extra "why".

19 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't know that I ever "went on an island for Miles."  I've always wanted all the coaches we've had to do well here.  I'll want the next one to do well.  I won't apologize for defending coaches from criticism that I think is unfair.  And I'm not going to go out of my way to attack the coach, either.  If that makes people think I'm "on an island" for a coach, so be it. Not going to lose sleep over that characterization.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that island was a fully functional and booming trade port only two months ago.  Its population was increasing at record pace before a god damned monsoon hit it.  

Weirdest season ever.  

50 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Again, I'm sorry my attempt at humor offended you.  I wasn't trying to step on any toes; I'm genuinely surprised at your reaction.  I thought the reference to the fire swamp from "The Princess Bride" was quite apropos.  And I thought the unicorn would bring some levity to the discussion. I was obviously wrong.

These periods of adversity bring out the worst in us.  People aren't as interested in laughing about things.  It's one of the reasons I started an off-topic thread about barbecue sauce: I wanted us to have something to connect with that wasn't controversial.

I think we're nearing the end of an era for Husker hoops.  To me, that's always a sad thing.  I don't see much chance that Miles will be our coach next year.  I think I've been pretty clear about that for a very long time.  Since before the season, I predicted he'd either leave of his own accord or get shown the door.  I think we're looking at the latter of those two situations.

I don't know that I ever "went on an island for Miles."  I've always wanted all the coaches we've had to do well here.  I'll want the next one to do well.  I won't apologize for defending coaches from criticism that I think is unfair.  And I'm not going to go out of my way to attack the coach, either.  If that makes people think I'm "on an island" for a coach, so be it. Not going to lose sleep over that characterization.

But let me be clear: I recognize Miles ain't perfect.  There are holes in his game, so to speak.  But he checks as many of the boxes as any coach we've had here in awhile and his wittiness and charm at media days and social media savvy brought Husker hoops some favorable attention.  He's not going to be the subject of insulting memes like Francis "Psycho" McCaffrey.  And he wasn't bland like Barry Collier.  This is a guy you had to hope would do well here.

And if you didn't hope for that, then you're kind of effed up in my opinion.

And I think picking coaches is a crapshoot and while the next guy might be really good at things Miles wasn't so good at, it's also highly probable he won't check off all the boxes either.

But, whoever it is, you can know right now that as long as he's officially the head coach of the Huskers, I'll have his back.  Unapologetically.

Great post Norm! I recently wrote a post basically saying that if we aren't going to hire someone better than Miles, then we shouldn't fire him. We better have a sure thing locked up before letting someone like Miles go.

1 hour ago, ladyhusker said:

Wish I could upvote this more than once -- not because of the results, but because of the context it provides. I just don't understand the lather-rinse-repeat seven-year cycle -- history shows it's ineffective, despite a variety of coaches (and ADs) involved. At some point it seems like it's worth it to ask the extra "why".

Some may blame a vicious cycle. Other may blame the higher ups making the decisions to hire coaches who encompass riskier resumes that may lean toward that vicious cycle.

4 hours ago, jason2486 said:

Great post Norm! I recently wrote a post basically saying that if we aren't going to hire someone better than Miles, then we shouldn't fire him. We better have a sure thing locked up before letting someone like Miles go.

Really agree with this. If you are gonna make a lateral move- please dont. If you really have a bigtime hire behind the door then yes make the move. 

2 minutes ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Really agree with this. If you are gonna make a lateral move- please dont. If you really have a bigtime hire behind the door then yes make the move. 

Out of curiosity, to the people who don’t wanna make a “lateral move”, who exactly is a lateral move and how exactly would we know that without a time machine?...is Craig Smith a lateral move? Is Bruce Weber a lateral move? Is Nate Oats a lateral move? What about Turegon? I just don’t know how the hell we would know if a guy was as good as Miles without giving them a chance? I know we don’t want a guy equal or worse than Miles but I hate to break it to everyone but that’s kind of the risk of a coaching change.

13 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Out of curiosity, to the people who don’t wanna make a “lateral move”, who exactly is a lateral move and how exactly would we know that without a time machine?...is Craig Smith a lateral move? Is Bruce Weber a lateral move? Is Nate Oats a lateral move? What about Turegon? I just don’t know how the hell we would know if a guy was as good as Miles without giving them a chance? I know we don’t want a guy equal or worse than Miles but I hate to break it to everyone but that’s kind of the risk of a coaching change.

Lateral move would be a repeat of someone with same resume of the last 3 hires. Mid major- zero success in the tournament. Lets not try that again please. 

4 minutes ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Lateral move would be a repeat of someone with same resume of the last 3 hires. Mid major- zero success in the tournament. Lets not try that again please. 

Thank you. That paints a better picture. I'm with you (kind of) I think we should move on from Miles at the end of this season no matter what, but the new coach should have proven the ability to win in the NCAAs. 

If the coach comes from this list, I would think everyone be happy: Fred Hoiberg, Thad Matta, Mark Turgeon, Gregg Marshall, Billy Kennedy, Ben Howland, Shaka Smart, Kelvin Sampson. 

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

Scheyer  might work but how many from the Coach K tree have been a great success? I don’t have an answer.  A new coach may flop, what else is new?  If Miles remains, he will have my support, if we hire someone new, he will have my support.  We have to get it right.

no clue, but if the alternative is a .500 coach from the mountain west with no tourney wins, i'd go with scheyer.

14 hours ago, nustudent said:

Our schedule has been tougher under MIles than with Doc.   Never debated that.   It's a fact.   I just have to weigh it with other facts though.   Facts like having a significantly worse record.   Facts like having significantly better resources.  Facts like having some very bad non-con losses. The credit I give him for playing a tougher schedule is negated by some of the other factors. 

I certainly don't think he is any worse than Doc/Collier.   But I don't view his tenure as being supremely better than Doc or Collier either.  

Agree completely...  like results with much better administration support like the practice facility and arena as well as a much larger salary pool for assistants. 

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

These periods of adversity bring out the worst in us.  People aren't as interested in laughing about things.  It's one of the reasons I started an off-topic thread about barbecue sauce: I wanted us to have something to connect with that wasn't controversial.

And a discussion of the pros & cons of different kinds of BBQ sauce isn't controversial?  :Catfight:  :Lol:

6 hours ago, Red Don said:

And a discussion of the pros & cons of different kinds of BBQ sauce isn't controversial?  :Catfight:  :Lol:

I just think that my current BBQ sauce isn't getting quite the results I was hoping for. There's been a major upgrade in the quality of meat, it's cooked on a pristine grill that's only 6 years old and is consistently one of the top 15 you can find in the country, the cooks have been willing to dedicate more time and money to it. But I've been using my BBQ sauce for seven years now and it just hasn't quite elevated things to quite the level I was hoping for.

Should I search for a new BBQ sauce, or do you think I should continue as is and hope for better results?

10 hours ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Not advocating for a lateral move...but staying with Miles only digs the hole deeper with this program.  That's not meant to be a slight on Miles more than what we already know of him.  It's meant that things will only get worse.   If people are using administrative support as an excuse now....that only goes down if he's retained.   Local media and fan base will become restless and apathetic creating a toxic culture (even moreso) around the program.   If people think the existing contract situation has hindered recruiting, it only gets worse after this if he is retained.

If nothing else, the new coach, lateral or not, will be starting fresh, which we need at this point.

35 minutes ago, atskooc said:

For a 55-page thread to stay on topic, it would take something miraculous. 

One could say then that the thread should not be 55 pages ??

Kidding obviously. Idrc that its off topic. As i have went off topic on threads before too.

Edited by khoock

1 hour ago, noahjb24 said:

This thread is only for news/rumors/ideas etc. for the new coach if we need one. Not for criticism of the current coach.

When the OP states, "Since we are about 2 years past when Miles should have been fired, I don't think it's too early revisit this topic..., " I think it's fair to address the underlying premise.