Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I do want those qualities. I just don't think it's as simple as you make it seem.

Sorry if my attempt at humor offended you.

I would probably be in a bad mood too if I were you.  We are all frustrated with the season, but you went on an island for Miles more than most.  So you have to deal with that frustration as well.  If I were that wrong about something, perhaps I would try to make it seem like it is impossible to win here too if my guy couldn't.  Difference is, I knew Miles wasn't a good coach a long time ago.  

Just now, royalfan said:

I would probably be in a bad mood too if I were you.  We are all frustrated with the season, but you went on an island for Miles more than most.  So you have to deal with that frustration as well.  If I were that wrong about something, perhaps I would try to make it seem like it is impossible to win here too if my guy couldn't.  Difference is, I knew Miles wasn't a good coach a long time ago.  

Your hatred for Miles being the coach is pretty much the same as Norm going to bat for Miles all the time.  Miles is not the worst coach in America you make him out to be.  There are coaches at power 5 schools who are worse than Miles.  He has his flaws.  He tried to fix one, and was told he could no longer do it.  He lost his best player at a time they were projected as a 6 seed.  They haven't recovered.

Good news for you is Miles will most likely be let go from Nebraska next Wednesday.  And when we strike out on our top 5 choices, and end up with another mid-major coach, who may not win enough for you, you can tell us you knew how crappy of a coach he was.

33 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Your hatred for Miles being the coach is pretty much the same as Norm going to bat for Miles all the time.  Miles is not the worst coach in America you make him out to be.  There are coaches at power 5 schools who are worse than Miles.  He has his flaws.  He tried to fix one, and was told he could no longer do it.  He lost his best player at a time they were projected as a 6 seed.  They haven't recovered.

Good news for you is Miles will most likely be let go from Nebraska next Wednesday.  And when we strike out on our top 5 choices, and end up with another mid-major coach, who may not win enough for you, you can tell us you knew how crappy of a coach he was.

the problem is that we aren't even competitive right now. 5 of our last 8 games have been 15+ point losses. miles has done himself no favors with these blowout losses.

i'm not expecting us to land a big time coach, but it's hard for me to imagine we will hire someone with an equal or worse resume than miles,sadler,collier. the program is in a much better place right now than when those guys were hired. facilities, arena, private jets, top 10 attendance, big10 conf, and more available money to hire a good coach.

Edited by TimSmiles

One argument I hear over and over is that Miles was set up to do better than his predecessors by having the new arena, practice facility, private jet, etc. They say that he should've been better because of those things, and that those things helped especially with recruiting. I'm not saying that didn't help, as I'm sure it did. However, no one brings up the fact that he also was in charge of essentially bringing us into a much better conference coming to the B1G (I know technically Doc started us in the B1G). The level of coaching in this league is ridiculous. I don't think the B12 was the bear that the B1G is.

27 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

One argument I hear over and over is that Miles was set up to do better than his predecessors by having the new arena, practice facility, private jet, etc. They say that he should've been better because of those things, and that those things helped especially with recruiting. I'm not saying that didn't help, as I'm sure it did. However, no one brings up the fact that he also was in charge of essentially bringing us into a much better conference coming to the B1G (I know technically Doc started us in the B1G). The level of coaching in this league is ridiculous. I don't think the B12 was the bear that the B1G is.

he did do better than the previous 2 coaches, but not good enough to warrant an 8th season here.

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Did he really do better?   He certainly had a higher high.   But he had significantly more lows too

recruited better talent. made the tournament. won the 2nd most regular season games in our history. i'd take those things over whatever collier/sadler did.

Just now, TimSmiles said:

recruited better talent. made the tournament. won the 2nd most regular season games in our history. i'd take those things over whatever collier/sadler did.

To me the recruiter better talent point is negligible.  I think he did.   But he had a worse record than Sadler.  He’s likely going to end up the same amount of games under .500 as Collier

As I said, his highs were better.   But his lows were just as bad and more frequent 

15 minutes ago, nustudent said:

To me the recruiter better talent point is negligible.  I think he did.   But he had a worse record than Sadler.  He’s likely going to end up the same amount of games under .500 as Collier

As I said, his highs were better.   But his lows were just as bad and more frequent 

You sort of help my argument by bringing up having a worse record than Doc. Our noncon has been tougher than under Doc, and our conference IMO has been tougher, and it shows in the record comparison.

7 hours ago, jason2486 said:

You sort of help my argument by bringing up having a worse record than Doc. Our noncon has been tougher than under Doc, and our conference IMO has been tougher, and it shows in the record comparison.

This, the one year Miles played a Doc type noncon we won a ton of games both in and out of conference.  Doc's record coaching the schedules Miles had would be far worse than it was.  Much like I wish Tim would have succeeded here, I wish Doc or Barry, or Moe or Danny would have succeeded and taken the program to another level.  I don't care who is coaching, I just want to change my avatar and that can't happen until we get a tourney win.

11 minutes ago, KearneyMan said:

I know i'm going to get bashed for say this, but going to say it anyway. Craig Smith is a zero!!! That's not a big name "A" coach that we need!!

Clearly you know nothing about basketball to make that statement about Craig Smith being a zero. 

11 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

If we miss on our big targets and have to go after a mid-major guy, DeVries wouldn't be the worst option. But I wonder if he'd give NU 2 seconds of consideration. Not sure how that'd sit at the blue school.

If anything DeVries is holding out for Iowa. For all the stories I've heard regarding his scouts on us, he very much does not like this university. 

8 hours ago, jason2486 said:

Our schedule has been tougher under MIles than with Doc.   Never debated that.   It's a fact.   I just have to weigh it with other facts though.   Facts like having a significantly worse record.   Facts like having significantly better resources.  Facts like having some very bad non-con losses. The credit I give him for playing a tougher schedule is negated by some of the other factors. 

I certainly don't think he is any worse than Doc/Collier.   But I don't view his tenure as being supremely better than Doc or Collier either.  

Edited by nustudent

20 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

If anything DeVries is holding out for Iowa. For all the stories I've heard regarding his scouts on us, he very much does not like this university. 

Between Iowa never firing Fran and us never playing Drake he can pound sand for the rest of his career, I said before having to walk back the statement in 2 weeks after we hire him.

12 hours ago, bkamler said:

What about DeVreis at Drake? In his first year he has beaten numerous teams that grant scholarships at a non-scholarship school...New Mexico State, 

Boise State, North Dakota State, Northern Illinois, etc.

He was a long time assistant with McDermott at Creighton and his teams score a lot of points.

Point taken, but Drake gives out scholarships in all sports except football. 

And like others have said, NO to anything ever associated with that "blue school" in Omaha....

10 hours ago, royalfan said:

Gezus, royal, give it a rest.  We KNOW you don't like Tim Miles and that you knew a long time ago he wasn't a good coach.  Good for you.  What do you want - a cookie?  Like another poster said, you're going to get your wish shortly.  I certainly hope you get the man you want in here so you can tell us all about it!

On another note, if you are a KC Royals fan, sorry to hear about Salvy Perez.  I really like him.  Hate the Royals, but respect Salvy.  If your name has nothing to do with the KC Royals, then never mind.  LOL

28 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Our schedule has been tougher under MIles than with Doc.   Never debated that.   It's a fact.   I just have to weight it with other facts though.   Facts like having a significantly worse record.   Facts like having significantly better resources.   The credit I give him for playing a tougher schedule is negated by some of the other factors.

Your definition of significantly worse is different than mine. Doc was .532 at Nebraska. Miles is .500. Not sure I'd call .032 "significant" but it's all semantics anyway as we all know where it's headed.

6 minutes ago, Buglem said:

Your definition of significantly worse is different than mine. Doc was .532 at Nebraska. Miles is .500. Not sure I'd call .032 "significant" but it's all semantics anyway as we all know where it's headed.

Don't get me wrong.  The intent wasn't trying to paint one guy as a success and the other a failure.   The point I was trying to make was it isn't just a game or two of a difference.   Assuming we lose the next two...Miles would essentially have to go 25-7 next year to raise his winning percentage to match Doc's.  

I certainly think it's fair to acknowledge the scheduling differences that Miles and Sadler faced.   Miles certainly faced tougher slates.   But his results represented that too.  It's not like he had the same results vs. the tougher schedules.  At the end of the day, I view both of them in the same light.

36 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Our schedule has been tougher under MIles than with Doc.   Never debated that.   It's a fact.   I just have to weigh it with other facts though.   Facts like having a significantly worse record.   Facts like having significantly better resources.  Facts like having some very bad non-con losses. The credit I give him for playing a tougher schedule is negated by some of the other factors. 

I certainly don't think he is any worse than Doc/Collier.   But I don't view his tenure as being supremely better than Doc or Collier either.  

Miles did have shiny new products.  He used those.  But, those shiny new products didn't help as much as making the tournament his second year, which is supremely better than Doc or Collier.  He went a different route for the most part to bring in talent.  He did it through players who struggled at bigger schools, and wanted to transfer.  

A couple records for you (as I am a big stats guy)

Nee (1st 7 years at NU)

Non-Conference  82 - 29 (.739)

Conference 44 - 63 (.411)

Ranked opponents 10 - 32 (.238)

3 NCAA Tournaments (0 - 3)

2 NIT (5 - 2)

Conference Tournaments (2 - 7)

Collier

Non-Conference 51 - 25 (.671)

Conference 38 - 66 (.365)

Ranked Opponents 8 - 26 (.235)

2 NIT (2 - 2)

Conference Tournaments (2 - 6)

Doc

Non-Conference 65 - 19 (.774)

Conference 36 - 70 (.340)

Ranked Opponents 8-24 (.250)

3 NIT 1 - 3

Conference Tournaments 2 - 6

Miles

Non-Conference 58 - 29 (.667)

Conference 54 - 82 (.397)

Ranked Opponents 9 - 37 (.196)

1 NCAA (0 - 1)

1 NIT (0 - 1)

Conference Tournaments (3 - 6)

13 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Miles did have shiny new products.  He used those.  But, those shiny new products didn't help as much as making the tournament his second year, which is supremely better than Doc or Collier.  He went a different route for the most part to bring in talent.  He did it through players who struggled at bigger schools, and wanted to transfer.  

Nee (1st 7 years at NU)

2 NIT (5 - 2)

Collier

2 NIT (2 - 2)

Doc

3 NIT 1 - 3

Miles

1 NCAA (0 - 1)

1 NIT (0 - 1)

Clearly that NCAA in year 2 didn't help that much because he parlayed it into losing seasons in 4 of the next 5 (assuming this year ends as expected).   Off the top of my head, Barry and Doc had 4 losing seasons combined in 12 years.   Miles has matched that in the last 5.   Stats can work both ways.

Again, I want to be clear...I do not think Miles is worse than Doc/Collier.   I also don't think he is better either.  He had higher highs and lower lows and it balances itself out.

One thing I will say though about Miles, is that his high water marks at least instill some belief and hope that this program can be successful.   Collier and Sadler could never really lay that claim.   And at the end of the day...there isn't much difference in the grand scheme of things between 16-18 and 17-14.  

Edited by nustudent

17 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Nee (1st 7 years at NU)

2 NIT (5 - 2)

Collier

2 NIT (2 - 2)

Doc

3 NIT 1 - 3

Miles

1 NCAA (0 - 1)

1 NIT (0 - 1)

This post may be the best one I've seen on this board that supports an argument I've made several times about knowing and understanding what Nebraska basketball truly is.

Is it the Fiddle, or the Fiddler?  These stats tell me it's not the Fiddler.

I'm not saying you have to accept mediocrity, I'm just saying, putting that 100% On the coach doesn't seem appropriate, given that most of them look awfully similar from me statistical standpoint.

45 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Nee (1st 7 years at NU)

2 NIT (5 - 2)

Collier

2 NIT (2 - 2)