Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

50 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

15,000 people that show up to watch bad basketball. There are top 15 teams that struggle to draw 7,000 fans. You win at Nebraska you're going to get support like you see at Kentucky, UNC, etc.

If you're a good team and having a good year the arena is more than likely going to packed no matter what team you are. We show up even when we're losers. Fans in the state would say that's loyalty. Fans outside of here would say that's stupidity. 

For whatever it's worth: Nebraska's administration has also shown time and time again over the years an inability to get out of its own way, as well as a pretty heightened sensitivity to NCAA rules (not even on big stuff, but things where a lot of schools might look the other way but our department gets kind of hyper-vigilant). And as has been said here, coaching is a small community and that type of stuff is never really a secret. Not saying that can't be overcome, but it's another hurdle that feeds into the poor perception of the job. Anyone we'd go after, hopefully, is also being pursued by other schools as well -- and that's something that any coach would certainly weigh in the balance when deciding between competing offers. We can make all kinds of promises about how the administration will get behind the coach and support him and give him everything he needs to succeed, and maybe that will be true under Moos going forward, but history doesn't exactly paint a glowing picture there.

I think the right coach can get the program into the 6th-10th range in the conference. But we aren't the only team with nice facilitates, fan support, and money. Pretty much all the other schools in the conference can offer this. Facilities will be caught. We get the same cut from the B1G as every other team. People seem to forget pretty lackluster attendance at the Devaney. Can't bank on the new arena forever. Attendance will dwindle.

So what type of coach wants to take a chance on a bottom dweller program, with very few advantages, and some big negatives (no history, lack of recruits in area, etc)?

Pretty much sets up for a second tier mid major coach or a P5 retread. I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, avfan2121 said:

This is true of most P5 schools. Especially in the Big Ten.

What does Nebraska have to offer that makes the job attractive, which is unique and outweighs the negatives of the program?

Fan support is better than most (top 15ish with a perennial loser) and facilities are better than most schools. If they put up a competitive salary the only thing they are missing is a bball history tradition.

4 hours ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Moos has 1 job:  Hire someone who has won in the NCAA tournament with a major D1 school. Thats it. Don’t screw it up. 

This is going to be very difficult. There just aren’t many P6 coaches that move to other P6 jobs unless they are fired. Unless you are KU, UNC, Michigan and a select few others it just doesn’t happen very often. 

2 hours ago, avfan2121 said:

Showing up to watch a loser doesn't really matter because we don't want a loser. What Big Ten school outside of maybe Penn State doesn't get fans to show up when they are winning?

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Iowa, Northwestern

When those teams aren't winning their fans are no shows. And teams like Iowa and Maryland have a tough time filling up their arena consistently (outside of a Michigan St, Michigan matchup) when they are ranked in the top 20.

9 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

People need to stop bringing up Tyron Lue and people need to pump the breaks on Craig Smith. Really and truly. Those are two names that were never going to occur, and never will. So just cut it. 

What about Thad Matta and Lon Kruger ?

What about DeVreis at Drake? In his first year he has beaten numerous teams that grant scholarships at a non-scholarship school...New Mexico State, 

Boise State, North Dakota State, Northern Illinois, etc.

He was a long time assistant with McDermott at Creighton and his teams score a lot of points.

4 minutes ago, bkamler said:

What about DeVreis at Drake? In his first year he has beaten numerous teams that grant scholarships at a non-scholarship school...New Mexico State, 

Boise State, North Dakota State, Northern Illinois, etc.

He was a long time assistant with McDermott at Creighton and his teams score a lot of points.

this would be my biggest fear.  If we are down the selection list far enough to go after DeVries, that's a problem.

3 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

if you think about it, this is really bill moos first chance to make 'his' hire. frost was coming as long as eichorst wasn't here. it wasn't really moos' choice.

Frost was the obvious choice.   That being said, Moos didn’t screw it up.   That’s easier said than done when considering the last 15 years in our AD

Edited by nustudent

If we miss on our big targets and have to go after a mid-major guy, DeVries wouldn't be the worst option. But I wonder if he'd give NU 2 seconds of consideration. Not sure how that'd sit at the blue school.

Considering that the blue people referred to Nebraska week as “DRock Week” because he supposedly had the scout every year against us, I’d say that puts that about does it there

21 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

If we miss on our big targets and have to go after a mid-major guy, DeVries wouldn't be the worst option. But I wonder if he'd give NU 2 seconds of consideration. Not sure how that'd sit at the blue school.

If we get down our “list” that far We better be going Craig Smith before we go w a recent assistant from the blue school 

9 hours ago, KZRider said:

FWIW I think Doc Sadler was a pretty good floor coach but he wasn't able to recruit the players he needed and I suppose that disqualifies him as a good coach overall. But the man knew basketball and that made his inability to win here was tough to watch. If we could just somehow mash Doc Sadler and Tim Miles into the same suit that would be something to see IMO.

Agree for the most part.  Doc defensive scheme didn't defend the arc seriously enough.  He was a bit behind on the analytics of the game for my taste, but generally agree that he know basketball.  I really liked him as a human being.