Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

9 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

"It is five people folks. It is not that hard to win here. We just haven't found the right coach."

Finding the "right coach" seems to be the hard part.

Certainly has been of late.  Which one did you think was a good coach?  Getting the conversation going on twitter as well.  Very curious who you think has been a good coach.  

Edited by royalfan

2 hours ago, busticket said:

I guess I refuse to believe we can’t do better.  It all depends on hiring the right coach.  Exhibit A of what it looks like when you have a string of bad coaching hires is our football program.  All the resources in the world and poor results the last 2 decades.  You have to get the right coach.

Other than tradition we have lots to offer; we have great facilities, great fans and money.  It just can’t be that hard to recruit here.  Creighton has been in the Big East for a cup of coffee and they have 6 top 150 recruits on their current roster as well as 2 highly regarded foreign big men.  If we get a coach kids buy into, whether it is the system or he is a hell of a likeable guy, there is no reason we can’t recruit at the level Creighton is.  I just don’t know who this mystery guy is.

No sir, it cannot be done.  We haven't done it, so it cannot happen.  

9 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

It's a head coaching grave yard, and 1 assistant in 20yrs does not a pattern make. It just further illuminates the futility of this program.

That is because they have not been good coaches.  A good coach can win here.  You don't think so.  Many of us do.  We can agree to disagree.  We don't know, because we haven't had one.  

9 minutes ago, busticket said:

Does anyone find it ironic that a lot of us would love to have Thad Matta, and he was Barry Collier’s right hand man at Butler?  He was Barry’s Craig Smith.  Makes me wonder if we should take Craig Smith more seriously.

It is interesting.  I don't love the idea due to the breakup with Miles, but at least we would know that we had the brains behind the only team to make the dance in a long long time.  And it was with a team without much program development.  I can see scenarios where that hire would work out well.  It would not be near the top of my list of preferences though.  

17 hours ago, MilesDavis said:

Fair enough, but I'm guessing they didn't all obtain that history in the first place with a bunch of guys from their own states. We got 99 problems, but in-state talent ain't one. (OK it is one of the 99 problems, but it's not close to the top of the list of problems if you ask me.) 

Until we actually start signing the best players in this state and losing with them, we shouldn't be whining about our lack of in-state talent. Creighton has been doing just fine with Nebraska kids sprinkled in here and there every year. 

Treshawn Thurman (6'8") had a good career going at UNO and then transferred to Nevada. He is averaging 7.8 points and 5.7 boards. You can't complain about lack of in-state talent when you don't even attempt to get the ones you do have.

Agree that this staff dropped the ball to long on local talent that would have developed at worse a bench/depth for when injures or illnesses occur.  For the record, I am not one of the any new hire HAS to have Nebraska ties.  

10 hours ago, royalfan said:

Certainly has been of late.  Which one did you think was a good coach?  Getting the conversation going on twitter as well.  Very curious who you think has been a good coach.  

Barry was a good X’s and O’s coach. No personality. 

Doc was a good coach who struggled to recruit. Part of that might’ve been related to largely below average assistants, which reflects on the coach (and the budget). 

Miles was a good recruiter and personality. 

If we could meld the last three coaches into one coach, maybe we have something....

Edited by nebrasketball10

We need a bonafide system that recruits a specific type of player at each spot.  It needs to be unique and difficult to prepare for.  Teams like Wisconsin, Virginia, Syracuse, etc typically can afford to have less than elite recruiting classes and make up for them with an identity/system in place that is effective and refined over the course of a season.  

I think we should be able to get a quality coach. We have good facilities, great support, and Miles showed that you can bring in top 150 kids (both out of hs and through transfers). If we offer up a competitive pay the only thing we are missing is the bball history.

Not saying we are a glamorous destination, but we arent the bottom of the barrel imo either.

14 minutes ago, khoock said:

Not saying we are a glamorous destination, but we arent the bottom of the barrel imo either.

I agree with that. If Moos has exhausted his contact list at this point, I think it all comes down to what other jobs are open in the offseason and how NU and the coaches' agents are selling the program.

It's also possible that Moos already has it figured out and we just have to wait for the season to end for an announcement, one way or another.

12 hours ago, royalfan said:

FWIW I think Doc Sadler was a pretty good floor coach but he wasn't able to recruit the players he needed and I suppose that disqualifies him as a good coach overall. But the man knew basketball and that made his inability to win here was tough to watch. If we could just somehow mash Doc Sadler and Tim Miles into the same suit that would be something to see IMO.

3 hours ago, nebrasketball10 said:

Barry was a good X’s and O’s coach. No personality. 

Doc was a good coach who struggled to recruit. Part of that might’ve been related to largely below average assistants, which reflects on the coach (and the budget). 

Miles was a good recruiter and personality. 

If we could meld the last three coaches into one coach, maybe we have something....

Moos mentioned recruiting being important I think while the AD here but he also mentioned it after he fired Ken Bone.

https://dailyevergreen.com/4142/sports/bill-moos-talks-future-of-wsu-basketball/

The last paragraph....woof.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

I think we should be able to get a quality coach. We have good facilities, great support, and Miles showed that you can bring in top 150 kids (both out of hs and through transfers). If we offer up a competitive pay the only thing we are missing is the bball history.

This is true of most P5 schools. Especially in the Big Ten.

What does Nebraska have to offer that makes the job attractive, which is unique and outweighs the negatives of the program?

1 minute ago, avfan2121 said:

This is true of most P5 schools. Especially in the Big Ten.

What does Nebraska have to offer that makes the job attractive, which is unique and outweighs the negatives of the program?

15,000 people that show up to watch bad basketball. There are top 15 teams that struggle to draw 7,000 fans. You win at Nebraska you're going to get support like you see at Kentucky, UNC, etc.

10 minutes ago, avfan2121 said:

I really have no idea the size of contract they offer the next coach. The consensus among articles/opinion pieces and message boards seem to suggest people generally believe NU is in a position to offer 3 million per year. For the next point let's assume that's true. So what about length? I say you have to go 6 years. Show the commitment. That's a contract for 18 million. I understand the arguments that its hard to win here. And a coach may believe this is a career killer. I just don't buy that argument now. I think the last 3 coaches I buy it more so. I think if there is really that kind of money coaching candidates would look at all the positives and this is an attractive job. Nothing can be done about history. Nothing can be done about proximity to recruits. But it seems to me about everything that can be done to level the playing field has been done now. 

25 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

15,000 people that show up to watch bad basketball. There are top 15 teams that struggle to draw 7,000 fans. You win at Nebraska you're going to get support like you see at Kentucky, UNC, etc.

Showing up to watch a loser doesn't really matter because we don't want a loser. What Big Ten school outside of maybe Penn State doesn't get fans to show up when they are winning?

3 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Michigan. Their attendance can be a little tepid at times.

I'm not sure Iowa packs them in consistently. Maybe they do. They sure didn't the game I was at, but they were mediocre that year and we weren't exactly  hot stuff either.

Iowa does not draw well unless the students are in town, and even then, there are a lot of empty seats.