Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

50 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

A clean slate doesn't sound so bad to me after this past season. Being 2nd to last in the conf w/o high expectations >>>>>>> being 2nd to last in the conf with NCAA Tournament expectations. Honestly though rebuilds suck, but the good news is in CBB quick turnarounds are possible, I'm looking at Chris Beard, Will Wade, Rick Barnes, Buzz Williams - Not saying it will happen, but a coaching change isn't a death sentence of 5 horrible rebuilding years, you can turn over a roster quickly and a team of freshman and transfers can be successful. 

generally, the right guy will get it going well before 5 years. if it goes 5, it's probably the wrong match. but there are exceptions to that rule. I predicted Mile would need 7. He almost made it. Almost being defined as "until New Years". 

But if we get a really good coach, we'll turn faster than that. 

5 hours ago, royalfan said:

Have to have a guy that isn’t outmatched on the game strategies, understands analytics to overcome talent gaps, can develop players, and can recruit or have a staff that excels at it.   Our last four coaches have had gaping holes in multiple of those areas.  That is why we haven’t won.  Not because it cannot be done here. That is comical.  

Can't win at Nebraska? Nonsense! You're only saying that because no one ever has.

Image result for nonsense you're only saying that

It's refreshing to know how easy it is to win in basketball at Nebraska.  You just need a guy who isn't outmatched on the game strategies, understands analytics to overcome the lack of talent, and can recruit or have a staff that excels at it.  It's that simple.

I think I found a picture of our next coach:

Image result for unicorn

9 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

It's refreshing to know how easy it is to win in basketball at Nebraska.  You just need a guy who isn't outmatched on the game strategies, understands analytics to overcome the lack of talent, and can recruit or have a staff that excels at it.  It's that simple.

Image result for unicorn

Will your hypothetical new coach use timeouts in the middle of an 18-0 run?  If so, I'm pretty close to sold!

Can’t win at Nebraska?  

How many national championships do we have in football?  

How many national championships do we have in volleyball?

How many national championships do we have in men’s gymnastics?  

Van Horne got us to the College World Series a couple times.  

And how about other sports like bowling and shooting that have produced national championships at NU?

Not many schools can boast anywhere near such things, while not cheating and also performing well in academics — like record-setting Academic All American numbers.

Can’t be great all the time.

Sustained bad luck in basketball is an anomaly.  And it’s bound to change sooner or later.

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

Miles I am a bit surprised by this I admit but it does show local talent is not a must.  However, all four of those teams has some basketball history to use when they go elsewhere to get talent.  Not that right coach couldn't do this for us, but right now, at least until we get back to at least where Nee had us, we can't afford to miss often on local talent.  

Fair enough, but I'm guessing they didn't all obtain that history in the first place with a bunch of guys from their own states. We got 99 problems, but in-state talent ain't one. (OK it is one of the 99 problems, but it's not close to the top of the list of problems if you ask me.) 

Until we actually start signing the best players in this state and losing with them, we shouldn't be whining about our lack of in-state talent. Creighton has been doing just fine with Nebraska kids sprinkled in here and there every year. 

Treshawn Thurman (6'8") had a good career going at UNO and then transferred to Nevada. He is averaging 7.8 points and 5.7 boards. You can't complain about lack of in-state talent when you don't even attempt to get the ones you do have.

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Thanks for the breakdown. Didn't realize that. I do agree about not letting good local talent leave the state although that can also be a doubled edge sword if those players don't pan out. Collier did a decent job of recruiting locally. 

What makes this all so awful is that we will be starting over again. It is the one thing consistent with Nebraska basketball isn't it, coaching change every 5-7yrs.

We are losing our top 3 scorers, over 60% of our scoring, next year. If you went back and looked, I bet we will not have had that much of a rebuild at any point in Miles or Sadler's eras, maybe even Collier. Someone can go look when was the last time our 3 leading scorers didn't return the following year, I bet it's been a very long time. 

So again, what exactly do you think next year is going to be even with Miles? It's going to be starting over again. 

2 hours ago, tcp said:

generally, the right guy will get it going well before 5 years. if it goes 5, it's probably the wrong match. but there are exceptions to that rule. I predicted Mile would need 7. He almost made it. Almost being defined as "until New Years". 

But if we get a really good coach, we'll turn faster than that. 

I would also say that making the dance so early probably gave him some grace around the 5 year mark where people thought he could still get it done.

20 minutes ago, MilesDavis said:

We are losing our top 3 scorers, over 60% of our scoring, next year. If you went back and looked, I bet we will not have had that much of a rebuild at any point in Miles or Sadler's eras, maybe even Collier. Someone can go look when was the last time our 3 leading scorers didn't return the following year, I bet it's been a very long time. 

So again, what exactly do you think next year is going to be even with Miles? It's going to be starting over again. 

Speaking hypothetically at this point (can't believe I'm speaking hypothetically about our current coach being retained), but we would be returning guys with experience that can be every bit as good as the current group. This is what happens in college basketball, where you are constantly having to replace guys who are graduating. This isn't unique to Nebraska. Other schools will also be replacing key players. We aren't really losing Copeland since he has essentially been out for 50% of the season. JPJ is not the same player he was earlier in the year or last season. Glynn has struggled since conference play

*All 6 have played this year. 

Roby - Sr 6'8

Allen - Jr 6'1

Akenten - Jr 6'6

Harris - So 6'6

Heiman - So 6'11

Thorir - Jr 6'6

*These will be in the mix

Davis - RsFr 6'6

Burke - RsJr 6-4 

*1 of these 3 will contribute for sure

Adams-Woods Fr 6'3

Green So or Jr 6'3

Arop  Fr 6'5

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we still have 1 open scholarship. Go get another big man and this is a very balanced class.

Athletic group with length.

This group passes the eyeball test. Only 1 Juco and no transfers, as of yet. Looks to me like Miles has built a solid recruiting foundation. 

Starters: 

Roby

Allen 

Aketen/Harris

Burke

Heiman/*Transfer or JUCO big man

That leaves us a decent bench of Aketen/Harris, Green, MAW, Davis, Thorir. 

A new coach means that we could loose any or all of:

Adams-Woods

Roby

Harris

Allen

Davis

Heiman?

Akenten

Yes this season has not been a good one and I'm not happy about it but I'm also not ready for another rebuild.

If we can speculate about Miles replacement we can certainly speculate about if he isn't replaced. Perhaps this needs to be in its own thread.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

If Lue is out of the picture are there any other former NBA coaches who make sense?

I love your sense of humor, Dimes.  Not everyone gets it.

Similar to how posters on this board are reacting to the current coaching situation.  I know everyone on this forum, excluding trolls, want what's best for Husker Basketball.  However, some get distracted.  They let emotions and personal preferences get in the way, and that human desire to always be right will override logic. 

Here's my point:  7 years ago I was ecstatic Miles was our new coach.  Posted happy videos!  2 years ago, I thought a change of direction was the way to go.  This year, I had the eternal optimism that all Husker basketball fans have, and dreamed of a Sweet Sixteen!  Guess what?  None of what I thought matters. All that matters is we get all the pieces in place to make Husker Basketball successful. I think we're missing 1 or 2.   I believe we get there in the next few months.  I'm looking forward.  Driving using the rear view mirror ends in crashes....  GBR!

Edited by cipsucks

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we still have 1 open scholarship. Go get another big man and this is a very balanced class.

Athletic group with length.

This group passes the eyeball test. Only 1 Juco and no transfers, as of yet. Looks to me like Miles has built a solid recruiting foundation. 

Two open scholarships I think 

I guess I refuse to believe we can’t do better.  It all depends on hiring the right coach.  Exhibit A of what it looks like when you have a string of bad coaching hires is our football program.  All the resources in the world and poor results the last 2 decades.  You have to get the right coach.

Other than tradition we have lots to offer; we have great facilities, great fans and money.  It just can’t be that hard to recruit here.  Creighton has been in the Big East for a cup of coffee and they have 6 top 150 recruits on their current roster as well as 2 highly regarded foreign big men.  If we get a coach kids buy into, whether it is the system or he is a hell of a likeable guy, there is no reason we can’t recruit at the level Creighton is.  I just don’t know who this mystery guy is.

Edited by busticket

8 hours ago, Agsker said:

I’m an Aggie fan. The Nevada players and coaches are in the wrong. It started with the coaches getting into an argument. The Nevada players then tried to run into the Utah state tunnel to start a fight with the Utah state players. When the truth comes out Nevada will most likely be in some trouble for the poor way they acted and were allowed to act after the game. That video shows the team after they tried to go brawl with the other team. Videos are out there. No proof of anybody touching any players, that is just was is assumed by the media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Security actually directed Nevada to the Utah St. locker area for security reasons. And per Mountain West Conference "Inappropriate conduct by individuals from both programs in the postgame handshake line and subsequently in the locker room areas created the unfortunate circumstances"

9 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Image result for unicorn

Surprised that you would not want those qualities.  Adding BS commentary to make me look foolish is cool.  We can play that game if you want.  

Edited by royalfan

9 hours ago, Klas3131 said:

With all due respect, royal, it appears that if someone disagrees with you, they have poor reading comprehension skills, or are unable to grasp what you are talking about.  I think that may be what is causing some annoyance.  Just the way I'm seeing it.

In this case, it was exactly that.  They did not comprehend my point.  If I didn't explain it clearly enough for them, that is on me.  I felt that I did.   And it certainly caused me some annoyance.  

Edited by royalfan