Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

7 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Cowheard reported lue is going to be the next laker coach today so that ship seems to have sailed. 

Whew, the removal of Lue gets us a step closer to everyone's goal on this thread in retaining Miles.

Disclaimer - the statement above was not written to incite anger, bring about the use of pitchforks, or cause anyone to question my intelligence.  My intelligence is questioned daily from my wife so no need to have anyone else pile on here.  The statement should be considered a joke.  

Edited by Nebrasketball1979

1 hour ago, ladyhusker said:

Is there a way to mute people here? I'd love to read people's insights or opinions (even those I don't agree with) but the personal barbs seem unnecessary and add nothing to the conversation. I'm half expecting someone to Jordan Caroline their computer screen in a minute here.

There's a way to disagree while being civil. It's awkward and unappealing to read otherwise.

Yet you liked Ron's comment that was not civil that started the whole thing?  Makes a lot of sense to me.  The ignore feature is top right under your user name.  Put Royalfan in the white box.  Thanks.  

16 minutes ago, royalfan said:

You care to enlighten me on what I was wrong about in your opinion?  Otherwise this post seems like an unwarranted one.  But we can play that game if you want.  

Your take that it’s not hard to win here based on the fact that we only need 5 guys not 15. We had 5 good ones to start the year and it’s gotten us to this point. If it was easy to build a consistent winner here the last 20 years wouldn’t have went how they did. 

6 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Your take that it’s not hard to win here based on the fact that we only need 5 guys not 15. We had 5 good ones to start the year and it’s gotten us to this point. If it was easy to build a consistent winner here the last 20 years wouldn’t have went how they did. 

You are mixing words up now.  I never said it isn't hard to win here.  I just explained that.   So I won't take offense to your comment if you aren't even able to grasp what I am talking about.  Carry on.   Ignore feature top right under your name.  Enter Royalfan.  

Edited by royalfan

11 minutes ago, royalfan said:

You are mixing words up now.  I never said it isn't hard to win here.  I just explained that.   So I won't take offense to your comment if you aren't even able to grasp what I am talking about.  Carry on.   Ignore feature top right under your name.  Enter Royalfan.  

With all due respect, royal, it appears that if someone disagrees with you, they have poor reading comprehension skills, or are unable to grasp what you are talking about.  I think that may be what is causing some annoyance.  Just the way I'm seeing it.

6 minutes ago, BigTate said:

Wow, Sometimes there is a lot of hate on this board... I don't think anyone on here knows as much as some of you think you do.

Just my humble opinion... 

You clearly are speaking to others on here so I won't personally take offense.  Let me refresh for you and everyone else as to the brilliance of my preseason predictions:

I predicted us to win 24 games, including 10 in the nonconference, making the Sweet 16 and then the University erecting a statue of Miles.  As you can see, I completely nailed that non-conference piece.  Now, you may suggest that I was wrong about us winning 24 games this year, making the sweet 16 and the statue of Miles.  However, I will contend that I'm actually pretty close to being right on all predictions, with the exception of the sweet 16. 

We will beat Iowa, win 5 in a row in the Big Tourney, and make a run to the elite 8:  15+1+5+3 = 24.

I not only know a lot, I'm also good at math.

This thread will be deleted on March 29th after we give Miles the standard Iowa "coach for life" contract.

1 minute ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

You clearly are speaking to others on here so I won't personally take offense.  Let me refresh for you and everyone else as to the brilliance of my preseason predictions:

I predicted us to win 24 games, including 10 in the nonconference, making the Sweet 16 and then the University erecting a statue of Miles.  As you can see, I completely nailed that non-conference piece.  Now, you may suggest that I was wrong about us winning 24 games this year, making the sweet 16 and the statue of Miles.  However, I will contend that I'm actually pretty close to being right on all predictions, with the exception of the sweet 16. 

We will beat Iowa, win 5 in a row in the Big Tourney, and make a run to the elite 8:  15+1+5+3 = 24.

This thread will be deleted on March 29th after we give Miles the standard Iowa "coach for life" contract.

Thank you this!  Got a good laugh on a Monday!  The Iowa "coach for life" contract comparison was awesome!

13 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I appreciate that @MilesDavis but for a lot of reasons it is. I'm not interested in the number of players who made it to the NBA but how many P5 playes have come out of Nebraska?

All the reasons that you mention make it even more perplexing why we aren't better. 

This place is a head coaching graveyard. The successful assistants leave on their own. For the HC's, their careers for the most part die and in one case literally.

Bush  - Never coached again

Cip - passed away

Iba - 1 NIT appearance in 7 yrs at TCU

Nee - His career to a sharp downturn

Collier - gave up coaching

Sadler - jury still out at Southern Miss but it doesn't look good.

Miles - ?

It's not like we don't care, so what is the problem? Some have said bad decisions but if you look at past history we have tried to go after coaches like Self and Marshall previously.

Good coaches don't want to come here. 

If we want to get a good coach to come here it is going to take a hell of a lot more than just money. I could end up being career suicide.

I'd take Matta or Hoiberg but past history says neither of them will end up here.

Honestly I put all of my eggs in getting that elusive 1st tournament win this season and with the likelihood of that slipping away I am left with nothing but despair and hopelessness.

I feel no hope with a new coach, no matter who it is. The off season is going to be a stream of breaking stories about players transferring and recruits going elsewhere. 

I know others get excited about coaching searches, especially the press, but I don't. We are going to be so gawd awfully bad next season no matter who we hire that it won't even be worth going to games. Maybe my attitude will change but that's where I'm at right now.

Here are the top 25 teams in our "region", number of in-state players on their roster, and how many of those actually contribute this season:

Kansas: 2 (0 contributors)

Marquette: 4 (2 contributors, they are twins)

Kansas State: 3 (1 contributor)

Wisconsin: 4 (2 contributors)

None of these teams build their rosters around what they get from their own state. They just get 1 or 2 every year or two, just like we could if we stopped diminishing our own state's players while other schools reap the benefits of their services. If we actually had tried to recruit Khyri Thomas, Justin Patton, Mike Daum or Tre'Shawn Thurman, all of them would have made an impact and been starters or at least 6 or 7 man players had they come to Nebraska. We also had a guy from right next door named Michael Jacobson on our team who left and is starting and a top player on a sure-fire NCAA Tournament team. There is no reason any coach who comes here shouldn't recognize that KC, Minneapolis, Denver and Chicago have plenty of players to choose from and if you can't develop the decent players you can get, that's on you. 

I feel no hope with a new coach, no matter who it is.  Sorry you feel that way. This season sucks, no doubt. How can you possibly be optimistic about next year though, regardless of what happens? 

The off season is going to be a stream of breaking stories about players transferring and recruits going elsewhere. It always is. The one time it wasn't was this past offseason, and look how that has turned out for us. 

We are going to be so gawd awfully bad next season no matter who we hire that it won't even be worth going to games. So what exactly do you think we are going to do next year if the staff doesn't change and we lose Palmer, Watson and Copeland, and bring in Green, Adams-Woods and Arop? You think that's an NCAA Tournament team next year? I sure as heck don't. That's a 6-14 Big Ten team. Brady Heiman is the only player on next year's roster currently taller than 6-8. Next year is going to be horrible no matter what, so I'm not sure where this sentiment is coming from that we're going to take a huge step back. We are 5-13 in the Big Ten! We've been to 1 NCAA Tournament in the last 20 years! But what's really going to make you depressed is a new coach who brings in new players??? Doesn't make sense to me, sorry.

36 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I don’t know why anyone would block or ignore people on a public and free message board. They are for viewing other people’s opinions. I don’t have to agree with what your saying. Heck I’m the 3 or 4 guy that can’t comprehend or grasp what your saying, n I feel like the ones before me have more brain cells then I do. 

If Nebraska basketball is a coaching graveyard, answer me this: 

Craig Smith got a head coaching job at South Dakota after being the brains behind Nebraska's run to the NCAA Tournament. USD knew what a gem he was, all the Husker players on that team would tell you how much he was missed during the 2015 meltdown. He then took South Dakota from nothing to the NIT, and now he's a National Coach of the Year candidate in 1 year at Utah State. 

It's almost like a good coach CAN find success in Lincoln. Like, Nebraska doesn't always ruin everybody's career! 

2 minutes ago, MilesDavis said:

Here are the top 25 teams in our "region", number of in-state players on their roster, and how many of those actually contribute this season:

None of these teams build their rosters around what they get from their own state. They just get 1 or 2 every year or two, just like we could if we stopped diminishing our own state's players while other schools reap the benefits of their services. If we actually had tried to recruit Khyri Thomas, Justin Patton, Mike Daum or Tre'Shawn Thurman, all of them would have made an impact and been starters or at least 6 or 7 man players had they come to Nebraska. We also had a guy from right next door named Michael Jacobson on our team who left and is starting and a top player on a sure-fire NCAA Tournament team. There is no reason any coach who comes here shouldn't recognize that KC, Minneapolis, Denver and Chicago have plenty of players to choose from and if you can't develop the decent players you can get, that's on you. 

I feel no hope with a new coach, no matter who it is.  Sorry you feel that way. This season sucks, no doubt. How can you possibly be optimistic about next year though, regardless of what happens? 

The off season is going to be a stream of breaking stories about players transferring and recruits going elsewhere. It always is. The one time it wasn't was this past offseason, and look how that has turned out for us. 

We are going to be so gawd awfully bad next season no matter who we hire that it won't even be worth going to games. So what exactly do you think we are going to do next year if the staff doesn't change and we lose Palmer, Watson and Copeland, and bring in Green, Adams-Woods and Arop? You think that's an NCAA Tournament team next year? I sure as heck don't. That's a 6-14 Big Ten team. Brady Heiman is the only player on next year's roster currently taller than 6-8. Next year is going to be horrible no matter what, so I'm not sure where this sentiment is coming from that we're going to take a huge step back. We are 5-13 in the Big Ten! We've been to 1 NCAA Tournament in the last 20 years! But what's really going to make you depressed is a new coach who brings in new players??? Doesn't make sense to me, sorry.

Thanks for the breakdown. Didn't realize that. I do agree about not letting good local talent leave the state although that can also be a doubled edge sword if those players don't pan out. Collier did a decent job of recruiting locally. 

What makes this all so awful is that we will be starting over again. It is the one thing consistent with Nebraska basketball isn't it, coaching change every 5-7yrs.

4 minutes ago, MilesDavis said:

If Nebraska basketball is a coaching graveyard, answer me this: 

Craig Smith got a head coaching job at South Dakota after being the brains behind Nebraska's run to the NCAA Tournament. USD knew what a gem he was, all the Husker players on that team would tell you how much he was missed during the 2015 meltdown. He then took South Dakota from nothing to the NIT, and now he's a National Coach of the Year candidate in 1 year at Utah State. 

It's almost like a good coach CAN find success in Lincoln. Like, Nebraska doesn't always ruin everybody's career! 

It's a head coaching grave yard, and 1 assistant in 20yrs does not a pattern make. It just further illuminates the futility of this program.

I’m an Aggie fan. The Nevada players and coaches are in the wrong. It started with the coaches getting into an argument. The Nevada players then tried to run into the Utah state tunnel to start a fight with the Utah state players. When the truth comes out Nevada will most likely be in some trouble for the poor way they acted and were allowed to act after the game. That video shows the team after they tried to go brawl with the other team. Videos are out there. No proof of anybody touching any players, that is just was is assumed by the media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A program ran by a Grade A douchebag who doesn’t even have the decency to wear a shirt and tie to coach games lacking some class? Color me shocked

36 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Not trying to be offensive, I just think some people need to chill out. I know we all love husker hoops and everyone is entitled to an opinion. I just think we should keep it friendly. Go Big Red!!!

4 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

What makes this all so awful is that we will be starting over again.

A clean slate doesn't sound so bad to me after this past season. Being 2nd to last in the conf w/o high expectations >>>>>>> being 2nd to last in the conf with NCAA Tournament expectations. Honestly though rebuilds suck, but the good news is in CBB quick turnarounds are possible, I'm looking at Chris Beard, Will Wade, Rick Barnes, Buzz Williams - Not saying it will happen, but a coaching change isn't a death sentence of 5 horrible rebuilding years, you can turn over a roster quickly and a team of freshman and transfers can be successful. 

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

History would say yes.

Can you expand on that statement.

Agree.

Disagree. It does start with getting the right coach at the right time. Easier said than done. 

1. What in your opinion then....makes the KSU/CU/ISU jobs easier? Tradition? I don’t think kids are going to Creighton because of tradition.  McDermott is getting kids because of the offense he runs.  Also, KSU was really struggling before hiring Higgins. He would have won at Nebraska. 

2.  Collier/Doc had one hand tied behind their back because the rest of the league had better facilities and more resources. Not true under Miles. 

4 hours ago, khoock said:

Scott Nagy (South Dakota St and Wright St) and Lon Kruger (Oklahoma) were some considerations I heard on Sharp and Benning this AM.

Thoughts on those two?

Lon has won everywhere and has picked up and left on several occasions. It would cost 2.4 Mil (two years left) to buy Kruger out and he's making 3M.  He'd either have to be very unhappy and/or feel like he's going to be run out of town.  Seems pretty unlikely.

With all due respect to Nagy if you're looking at someone in that mid-major vein aren't there more accomplished guys? 

16 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

1. What in your opinion then....makes the KSU/CU/ISU jobs easier? Tradition? I don’t think kids are going to Creighton because of tradition.  McDermott is getting kids because of the offense he runs.  Also, KSU was really struggling before hiring Higgins. He would have won at Nebraska. 

2.  Collier/Doc had one hand tied behind their back because the rest of the league had better facilities and more resources. Not true under Miles. 

$100G appears to help as well but overall agree with all your points!

5 hours ago, royalfan said:

Some of you guys act like there are 15 guys on a basketball court.  It is five people folks.  It is not that hard to win here.  We just haven’t found the right coach.  If smith were still here with miles then we had one.  Turns out that smith actually was the brains behind the operation.  Sorry @49r.

Have to have a guy that isn’t outmatched on the game strategies, understands analytics to overcome talent gaps, can develop players, and can recruit or have a staff that excels at it.   Our last four coaches have had gaping holes in multiple of those areas.  That is why we haven’t won.  Not because it cannot be done here. That is comical.  

"It is five people folks. It is not that hard to win here. We just haven't found the right coach."

Finding the "right coach" seems to be the hard part.

1 hour ago, MilesDavis said:

Miles I am a bit surprised by this I admit but it does show local talent is not a must.  However, all four of those teams has some basketball history to use when they go elsewhere to get talent.  Not that right coach couldn't do this for us, but right now, at least until we get back to at least where Nee had us, we can't afford to miss often on local talent.