Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

4 hours ago, HB said:

Are you in the loop on what we offered Bill Self before we ended up hiring Collier?

Bill Byrne offered Self a million dollars per year in March of 2000.  Self said no.  Was it prudent to fold the tent for the next 20 years and stop trying to get a proven winner?  I don't think so.  When you have the financial wherewithal that NU has you should be able to fix your coaching issues. If you can't that is probably an indication the wrong people have been in charge. In my opinion that has been the problem.

NU isn't cursed. It isn't like they have had a series of Dean Smith's in Lincoln who found the one place they couldn't win.  We have had decades of sub par head coaches.  The facilities are there ( top 10% percent), top 12 fan base, tons of money and Lincoln is a great college town.  Doesn't seem to be that hard of a sell to acquire somebody good.  But hey this is just my opinion.

1 minute ago, royalfan said:

LMAO!  Are you incapable of reading?  Again reading comprehension not your strong suit.  IN THE EXACT SENTENCE BEFORE THAT IS THE CONTEXT!!  Just as I said last post.  It isn't that hard to win here as it would be if we had to play 15 people!!!  Wow.  You are an idiot.  

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that context doesn't always translate well to the intended audience. Lets pretend my reading comprehension is as you say it is and not that of a someone who has 2 Bachelors and a Masters (cum laude) degree. Explain how it is not that difficult to win here.

5 minutes ago, 36red said:

Bill Byrne offered Self a million dollars per year in March of 2000.  Self said no.  Was it prudent to fold the tent for the next 20 years and stop trying to get a proven winner?  I don't think so.  When you have the financial wherewithal that NU has you should be able to fix your coaching issues. If you can't that is probably an indication the wrong people have been in charge. In my opinion that has been the problem.

NU isn't cursed. It isn't like they have had a series of Dean Smith's in Lincoln who found the one place they couldn't win.  We have had decades of sub par head coaches.  The facilities are there ( top 10% percent), top 12 fan base, tons of money and Lincoln is a great college town.  Doesn't seem to be that hard of a sell to acquire somebody good.  But hey this is just my opinion.

You are making too much sense 36.  It is impossible to win here because the last 4 bad coaches couldn't.  Just ask Ron Mexico:)  

8 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that context doesn't always translate well to the intended audience. Lets pretend my reading comprehension is as you say it is and not that of a someone who has 2 Bachelors and a Masters (cum laude) degree. Explain how it is not that difficult to win here.

You are still struggling to grasp the most basic of concepts?  I don't give a rats ass what degree you have.  

Edited by royalfan

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

It's not that hard to win here despite the fact that the last, soon to be 4 coaches, where not able to do so. Brilliant! Can't make this stuff up.

Is it that much easier to win at close by schools such as Creighton, KSU, and Iowa St?

Or could it be that we have been laughably bad at hiring coaches? I give Collier/Doc credit...they had to try and build a winner with one arm behind their back. Also, I’m not so sure Doc gets hired if the timing was better. So that leaves Tim Miles who had all the bright shiny new facilities, an improved recruiting budget...and he’s going to likely finish under .500 at Nebraska. As I said previously, he is a guy who is better with the mic than he is a clipboard. 

We could very well hire another mediocre coach. But I don’t buy that it’s harder to win at Nebraska than anywhere else around this region sans KU.  

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

Is it that much easier to win at close by schools such as Creighton, KSU, and Iowa St?

Or could it be that we have been laughably bad at hiring coaches? I give Collier/Doc credit...they had to try and build a winner with one arm behind their back. Also, I’m not so sure Doc gets hired if the timing was better. So that leaves Tim Miles who had all the bright shiny new facilities, an improved recruiting budget...and he’s going to likely finish under .500 at Nebraska. As I said previously, he is a guy who is better with the mic than he is a clipboard. 

We could very well hire another mediocre coach. But I don’t buy that it’s harder to win at Nebraska than anywhere else around this region sans KU.  

This is all very true.  Ron cannot grasp that fact these coaches have been really mediocre to downright bad.  His brain cannot get by the fact that it is possible to win here with good coaching, because we couldn't with bad coaching.   He also couldn't grasp the fact that we were never going to get to the promised land under Bo and thinks Miles should be coaching and Henson is a candidate.  It probably isn't worth taking him all that seriously I am quickly realizing.  

7 minutes ago, 36red said:

During the end of the Bill Byrne tenure (he spent money like a sailor on shore leave) and for all of the SP tenure (cooked the books) we were not, as an AD, in very good shape.

One of the major reasons we left the B12 to get into the B10 was to improve our financial position. A simplistic view would be that we didn't care about basketball and intentionally let it whither on the vine. 

4 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Is there a way to mute people here? I'd love to read people's insights or opinions (even those I don't agree with) but the personal barbs seem unnecessary and add nothing to the conversation. I'm half expecting someone to Jordan Caroline their computer screen in a minute here.

There's a way to disagree while being civil. It's awkward and unappealing to read otherwise.

it's kind of inevitable on a thread regarding coaching replacements where only maybe 10 of the 48 pages are actually talking about specific coaches. Sport boards will be sports boards, sadly. But if you do find a "mute button", let me know. 

9 minutes ago, tcp said:

it's kind of inevitable on a thread regarding coaching replacements where only maybe 10 of the 48 pages are actually talking about specific coaches. Sport boards will be sports boards, sadly. But if you do find a "mute button", let me know. 

You have the option to ignore users. Although, I don’t know why you would considering it’s a message board. But, it is an option. 

5 minutes ago, royalfan said:

This is all very true.  Ron cannot grasp that fact these coaches have been really mediocre to downright bad.  His brain cannot get by the fact that it is possible to win here with good coaching, because we couldn't with bad coaching.   He also couldn't grasp the fact that we were never going to get to the promised land under Bo and thinks Miles should be coaching and Henson is a candidate.  It probably isn't worth taking him all that seriously I am quickly realizing.  

Not disputing that. 4 of them in a row. Once is chance, twice is coincidence, third time is a pattern.

Not disputing that.

I was one of the first people, if not the first, to point out the exact requirements set forth by Moos. I thought then and still do that those where reasonable requirements for TM to be retained. I threw out Hensen name. It's about as realistic as people throwing out Lue, Alford and Marshall. BTW, never said that Bo was going to bring us tot he promised land.

12 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Explain the concept you are trying to get across. 

I did in the my initial post.  You are the only on struggling to grasp it.  If you had, all of this could have been avoided.  I will try one more time.  

1.  I said that there are 5 people on a basketball court, not 15 people which is the level of difficulty that some people here are making this job out to be.   (I assume you understand that the more people on a court or playing field, the tougher the task will be to win.  If need some help with that concept, I can explain it further)  

2.  I said it isn't that hard to win here immediately thereafter.  Therefore it means that it isn't THAT Hard(as hard as it would be if there were 15 people on a court) to win here.  

When you say something like it isn't THAT hard, you are obviously comparing it to something.  Otherwise you would simply say "It isn't hard to win here."  In this case, my comparison was the 15 people on a court example that I gave right before it.  

Hopefully that clears it up for you.  

Edited by royalfan

Some Nevada players were touched by Utah St. fans running on to the floor after Utah St. beat them. Not sure what touched means in this situation? 

I’m an Aggie fan. The Nevada players and coaches are in the wrong. It started with the coaches getting into an argument. The Nevada players then tried to run into the Utah state tunnel to start a fight with the Utah state players. When the truth comes out Nevada will most likely be in some trouble for the poor way they acted and were allowed to act after the game. That video shows the team after they tried to go brawl with the other team. Videos are out there. No proof of anybody touching any players, that is just was is assumed by the media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

You have the option to ignore users. Although, I don’t know why you would considering it’s a message board. But, it is an option. 

okay, I see that. does that just blank out their posts then? 

Bill Self was offered 1 million to come to Nebraska.....He was at Tulsa which would be considered a mid major.

There is no guarantee that he would become the success he is now, had he taken the Nebraska job...He might have done well, but many up and coming coaches take a job that sets their career back....Going to Illinois a month or two later ended up being a good move for him and got him the Kansas job....

Who knows if he would have been able to turn around Nebraska....

1 minute ago, royalfan said:

I did in the my initial post.  You are the only on struggling to grasp it.  If you had, all of this could have been avoided.  I will try one more time.  

1.  I said that there are 5 people on a basketball court, not 15 people which is the level of difficulty that some people here are making this job out to be.   (I assume you understand that the more people on a court or playing field, the tougher the task will be to win.  If need some help with that concept, I can explain it further)  

2.  I said it isn't that hard to win here immediately thereafter.  Therefore it means that it isn't THAT Hard(as hard as it would be if there were 15 people on a court) to win here.  

When you say something like it isn't THAT hard, you are obviously comparing it to something.  Otherwise you would simply say "It isn't hard to win here."  In this case, my comparison was the 15 people on a court example that I gave right before it.  

1. There is a lot more involved in making a successful program than just the 5 on the court. That's akin to saying baseball is simple game, you throw, catch and hit. 

2. It's also not as hard as if you were to have 20, 25, 30, etc. on the court. If you  are boiling it down to 5 on the court then that is an oversimplification of why we haven't won. It isn't just one thing but a lot things all together that have led to our futility. Bad decisions, Bad Luck, and Bad Timing have all played a roll. A solid program can survive that over the long haul but a bad program cannot.

2 minutes ago, Agsker said:

I’m an Aggie fan. The Nevada players and coaches are in the wrong. It started with the coaches getting into an argument. The Nevada players then tried to run into the Utah state tunnel to start a fight with the Utah state players. When the truth comes out Nevada will most likely be in some trouble for the poor way they acted and were allowed to act after the game. That video shows the team after they tried to go brawl with the other team. Videos are out there. No proof of anybody touching any players, that is just was is assumed by the media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure all of this is factually correct.  Utah St fans were blocking the path for Nevada to get to the locker room through their own tunnel directly to their room.  Security led them to the Utah St side so they had to go by the Utah St. locker room.   It was alleged that a Utah St. assistant coach said something out of line to the Nevada player and then things escalated to what was seen on the video.  Had security done a better job to have a path for them to leave this could have been avoided it sounds like.  

3 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

1. There is a lot more involved in making a successful program than just the 5 on the court. That's akin to saying baseball is simple game, you throw, catch and hit. 

2. It's also not as hard as if you were to have 20, 25, 30, etc. on the court. If you  are boiling it down to 5 on the court then that is an oversimplification of why we haven't won. It isn't just one thing but a lot things all together that have led to our futility. Bad decisions, Bad Luck, and Bad Timing have all played a roll. A solid program can survive that over the long haul but a bad program cannot.

I never said there isn't a lot involved in building a program.  So don't try and counter your losing argument with that nonsense.  Was simply making a point that is not near the impossibility to win here that some were making it out to be.  15 versus 5 was simply an example of that.  You were struggling to grasp the comparison for some reason.  Call it a day.  I explained it.  No need to bring up more BS that I didn't even say.    We get it.  You think it is impossible.  I don't.  I believe you will be proven wrong in time when we get a good coach one day.  Hopefully it is this time.  

44 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

History would say yes.

Can you expand on that statement.

Agree.

Disagree. It does start with getting the right coach at the right time. Easier said than done. 

47 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Is there a way to mute people here? I'd love to read people's insights or opinions (even those I don't agree with) but the personal barbs seem unnecessary and add nothing to the conversation. I'm half expecting someone to Jordan Caroline their computer screen in a minute here.

There's a way to disagree while being civil. It's awkward and unappealing to read otherwise.

Yup royalfan seems to have all the answers today. Maybe he will be considered in the coaching search since he seems to know how to make us into a winner. 

2 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Yup royalfan seems to have all the answers today. Maybe he will be considered in the coaching search since he seems to know how to make us into a winner. 

You care to enlighten me on what I was wrong about in your opinion?  Otherwise this post seems like an unwarranted one.  But we can play that game if you want.  

Just now, royalfan said:

I never said there isn't a lot involved in building a program.  So don't try and counter your losing argument with that nonsense.  Was simply making a point that is not near the impossibility to win here that some were making it out to be.  15 versus 5 was simply an example of that.  You were struggling to grasp the comparison for some reason.  Call it a day.  I explained it.  No need to bring up more BS that I didn't even say.    We get it.  You think it is impossible.  I don't.  I believe you will be proven wrong in time when we get a good coach one day.  Hopefully it is this time.  

I never said it was impossible so don't put words in my mouth either then. It is extremely difficult but not impossible.

It has already been proven that I am correct. 

Maybe this time the stars will align correctly. Hopefully the 5th time is a charm. I would be overjoyed beyond belief. There is a reason that I still, and will continue to, purchase season tickets.