Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

You can't not give him a multi year extension if you retain him.  It's either get rid of him or multi year extension.  We can't keep digging ourselves a hole with assistants and recruits by giving these tidlywink extensions.

We can't keep making excuses for poor play on the court with complaining about these tidlywink extensions. You have your team, now go prove it. He did not, in fact he proved he couldn't do it. Let's not act like anyone in the administration went out there and put a terrible product on the court when the chips were all in.

We all want to blame someone else for our failures. How about we just call it like it is, Miles failed. 

Insert better coach.

1 hour ago, HoiBall said:

We can't keep making excuses for poor play on the court with complaining about these tidlywink extensions. You have your team, now go prove it. He did not, in fact he proved he couldn't do it. Let's not act like anyone in the administration went out there and put a terrible product on the court when the chips were all in.

We all want to blame someone else for our failures. How about we just call it like it is, Miles failed. 

Insert better coach.

You're gonna get your way; hopefully it will make you happy.   Perhaps if you were a little more seasoned, you'd realize that a helluva lot of things in life aren't 100 to nothing.   There were some other things that factored in, including epic dumbass moves by Eichorst with a little nut-cutting sprinkled in by Moos.    Whether it is figuratively 80-20 or 90-10 or your black and white world of 100-0, it doesn't matter.     It didn't work, it's pretty sad, and we move on.    Hopefully some of your failures were equally black and white and 100% on you.  

32 minutes ago, HB said:

You're gonna get your way; hopefully it will make you happy.   Perhaps if you were a little more seasoned, you'd realize that a helluva lot of things in life aren't 100 to nothing.   There were some other things that factored in, including epic dumbass moves by Eichorst with a little nut-cutting sprinkled in by Moos.    Whether it is figuratively 80-20 or 90-10 or your black and white world of 100-0, it doesn't matter.     It didn't work, it's pretty sad, and we move on.    Hopefully some of your failures were equally black and white and 100% on you.  

And the Copeland injury. I don't care how we were trending before his injury, we would be dancing if he was still playing. That's not on Miles. Coach K has seven or eight 5-stars on his bench, yet Duke still is struggling without Zion. Just goes to show what one injury to a prominent player can do to an entire team.

And if Moos would've just given an actual extension last year we'd still have Kenya and have Xavier Johnson starting right now with Glynn at the 2 and Allen coming off the bench.

And think about the lone year we had with AW3. If Petteway's mom wasn't suffering a critical illness he comes back, which in turn I believe makes Pitchford come back, and they're playing alongside an improved Shields and Tai, and a solid guard in AW3. That is one hell of a lineup.

Miles has to be better, and has had ample time to do so, but it's definitely not 100% on him. 

5 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

And the Copeland injury. I don't care how we were trending before his injury, we would be dancing if he was still playing. That's not on Miles. Coach K has seven or eight 5-stars on his bench, yet Duke still is struggling without Zion. Just goes to show what one injury to a prominent player can do to an entire team.

And if Moos would've just given an actual extension last year we'd still have Kenya and have Xavier Johnson starting right now with Glynn at the 2 and Allen coming off the bench.

And think about the lone year we had with AW3. If Petteway's mom wasn't suffering a critical illness he comes back, which in turn I believe makes Pitchford come back, and they're playing alongside an improved Shields and Tai, and a solid guard in AW3. That is one hell of a lineup.

Miles has to be better, and has had ample time to do so, but it's definitely not 100% on him. 

Well this is just flat not true. Not saying I disagree with the sentiment of your statement to a degree, but that portion is incorrect.

6 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Well this is just flat not true. Not saying I disagree with the sentiment of your statement to a degree, but that portion is incorrect.

My statement may have been hyperbolic, but I think it at the very least would've made Kenya's decision a little harder. 

Edited by OmahaHusker
clarification

Just now, OmahaHusker said:

My statement may have been hyperbolic, but I think it at the very least would've made Kenya's decision a little harder. 

Agreed.  We can't definitively say that we lost Kenya because of the contract situation and X because of Kenya.  But we also cannot definitively say that we didn't lose Kenya because of the contract situation and X because of Kenya.  Nothing is ever black and white which is why we Nebrasketball fans always  end the season going "what if."

14 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Agreed.  We can't definitively say that we lost Kenya because of the contract situation and X because of Kenya.  But we also cannot definitively say that we didn't lose Kenya because of the contract situation and X because of Kenya.  Nothing is ever black and white which is why we Nebrasketball fans always  end the season going "what if."

Kenya spent 6 years at GTown and left saying these switches are needed to move up into a HC position. He then spent 6 years at Nebraska and left saying these switches are needed to move up into a HC position. I honestly think he really wants to be a head coach and is doing what he thinks can get him a gig. Also he must of taken some advice literally if someone to him to spend no more than 6 years at one school. 

40 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Thats a lot of ifs and certainly some wishful thinking. If Miles actually recruited a bench maybe the Copeland injury wouldn’t have been a dagger? True...maybe 100% isnt on Miles. But about 95% of it is and certainly enough to realize that his potential firing is for good reason. 

8 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Thats a lot of ifs and certainly some wishful thinking. If Miles actually recruited a bench maybe the Copeland injury wouldn’t have been a dagger? True...maybe 100% isnt on Miles. But about 95% of it is and certainly enough to realize that his potential firing is for good reason. 

And in Mile's defense for this year it's hard to recruit a bench when you're basically living on one-year contract extensions. 

Just now, OmahaHusker said:

And in Mile's defense for this year it's hard to recruit a bench when you're basically living on one-year contract extensions. 

Yet, multiple people on this board think we will actually be good next year if Miles is retained.  Like ncaa good.  So how does that make sense?

It more so has to do with Miles years and years of striking out or not recruiting a big man.  It’s even harder to recruit when opposing coaches can point to our struggles on the court under Miles and his struggles developing an offense. 

11 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

It more so has to do with Miles years and years of striking out or not recruiting a big man.  

For the sake of argument, going into July of this year, we had Isaiah Roby (who had played the 5 in the "death lineup" everyone was so nuts about the year before), Isaac Copeland (non-traditional big man but still 6-9 and CAN be effective in the post but more so at the 4), Jordy Tshimanga (traditional 5) with Tanner Borchardt as a backup and Brady Heiman hopefully able to redshirt. That...kind of seems like a decent number of "big" men when you're talking about 80 minutes per game to split up in the 4 and 5 positions and you still sometimes like to play small ball.

Not saying the offense hasn't stagnated at times or that next year will suddenly be amazing. But at the conclusion of a major recruiting period, it kind of seemed like we were decently set up with bigs, and THEN all hell broke loose.

23 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:
On 2/27/2019 at 5:54 PM, noahjb24 said:

Im actually starting to hear that Hoiberg rumors are legit..

If Bavada started up a line on future Nebraska coaches and I gambled, this is the one I'd bet on.

That would probably be the best odds. But then again, nobody would have predicted our last few hires.

29 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

For the sake of argument, going into July of this year, we had Isaiah Roby (who had played the 5 in the "death lineup" everyone was so nuts about the year before), Isaac Copeland (non-traditional big man but still 6-9 and CAN be effective in the post but more so at the 4), Jordy Tshimanga (traditional 5) with Tanner Borchardt as a backup and Brady Heiman hopefully able to redshirt. That...kind of seems like a decent number of "big" men when you're talking about 80 minutes per game to split up in the 4 and 5 positions and you still sometimes like to play small ball.

Not saying the offense hasn't stagnated at times or that next year will suddenly be amazing. But at the conclusion of a major recruiting period, it kind of seemed like we were decently set up with bigs, and THEN all hell broke loose.

Roby is not a 5 and never should have been forced to play the position. Jordy Tshimanga is someone who Miles said recently he should have never let back on the team. Me thinks he had an inkling or even pushed Jordy out the door. 

But you’re right, big man recruiting probably isn’t on the top of the list of failures. Miles inability to develop and/or put together a team that can shoot the ball probably takes the cake. 

33 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Roby is not a 5 and never should have been forced to play the position. Jordy Tshimanga is someone who Miles said recently he should have never let back on the team. Me thinks he had an inkling or even pushed Jordy out the door. 

But you’re right, big man recruiting probably isn’t on the top of the list of failures. Miles inability to develop and/or put together a team that can shoot the ball probably takes the cake. 

I'd argue big man recruiting has been worse.  We've recruited some guys who can make shots   We haven't recruited big men.   I'd also argue that the lack of a legit post makes it more difficult for our guards/wings to hit shots.

Not saying we are a great shooting team...but our issues have as much to do with ahot selection and offensive sets as it does anything else.   When you don't get good looks, you are going to shoot a lower percentage.

3 hours ago, HB said:

Right, because opinions are usually 50-50. Makes sense. I guess I’ll have to start giving everybody everywhere the benefit of the doubt all the time. Sounds like a good way to gain progress in life. No ones a loser, everybody wins regardless of results.

5 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

I disagree that we dance with Copeland. We had fallen apart before then, and our early season “impressive” wins don’t look that impressive anymore. It’s a moot point, though - an impossible argument. Further, the fact that we were one injury away from a bottom-of-the-conference finish points to poor roster management (the perpetual open scholarship). Also, Kenya left for a better job. 

Your post reads like a list of excuses, which, unfortunately defines the history of our program. “If only...”

I agree with the previous poster - there are certainly other factors that didn’t help the situation, but Miles is ultimately responsible for the product on the court, and it’s just not there. I liked Miles a lot.... it’s a very sad situation. 

Edited by nebrasketball10

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

He definitely wasn’t pushed out the door and they were not anticipating him leaving

3 hours ago, nustudent said:

I'd argue big man recruiting has been worse.  We've recruited some guys who can make shots   We haven't recruited big men.   I'd also argue that the lack of a legit post makes it more difficult for our guards/wings to hit shots.

Not saying we are a great shooting team...but our issues have as much to do with ahot selection and offensive sets as it does anything else.   When you don't get good looks, you are going to shoot a lower percentage.

I will add that we don't get good rhythm shot opportunities like other teams, and when we do, our guys hesitate, pump fake, or dribble nowhere.

5 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Kenya spent 6 years at GTown and left saying these switches are needed to move up into a HC position. He then spent 6 years at Nebraska and left saying these switches are needed to move up into a HC position. I honestly think he really wants to be a head coach and is doing what he thinks can get him a gig. Also he must of taken some advice literally if someone to him to spend no more than 6 years at one school. 

Craig Smith has two HC jobs since being here.  He has Utah State as one of the last teams in according to bracketmatrix.  A power 5 school might take a chance on him.  I don't think Hunter moving to UConn is going to get him a HC job.  I think he is trying to get a big time gig, or 1 on the East Coast.