Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

5 hours ago, Klas3131 said:

I found this article about potential UCLA hires.  While I know we are not UCLA, just give a perspective on what type of guys they may look at.   A few I would certainly not have thought of.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/theres-no-shortage-of-candidates-for-uclas-coaching-vacancy/ar-BBU8Olw

Gosh we need to find our version of Mitch Cronin. All they do is win and you never hear about them on national media stations. Cincinnati had a basketball history before hiring him but they took a chance on a guy in his 30s 

30 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Gosh we need to find our version of Mitch Cronin. All they do is win and you never hear about them on national media stations. Cincinnati had a basketball history before hiring him but they took a chance on a guy in his 30s 

Hiring a former Murray St coach has worked out most of the time this century

Tevester Anderson -> Fired -> Jackson St

Mick Cronin -> Cincinnati 

Billy Kennedy -> Texas A&M

Steve Prohm -> Iowa St

Matt McMahon -> ????

9 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Imagine the national headline: "Football School is Now Taking Its Basketball Seriously."

Wisconsin didn't have any tradition of either football or basketball success on a grand scale... now they're at least nationally relevant in both, on a near-annual basis. Wonders never cease to amaze how NU has not been to sustain any sort of momentum in hoops, more than the 4 years from '91-94, that is.

41 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Mick Cronin had a huge health scare in the not so distant past. But, yes, Cincy has performed about like I'd hope NU could. It was fun to match up the two programs a few years ago. That multi-OT game was a brick-fest but it was still a thrilling night (particularly after NU had already gone down to that eastern Omaha squad.... and ((gulp)) Incarnate Word prior to Cincy slug-fest).

4 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:
10 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Imagine the national headline: "Football School is Now Taking Its Basketball Seriously."

Wisconsin didn't have any tradition of either football or basketball success on a grand scale... now they're at least nationally relevant in both, on a near-annual basis. Wonders never cease to amaze how NU has not been to sustain any sort of momentum in hoops, more than the 4 years from '91-94, that is.

Just because it's an easy scapegoat to make us feel better, let's just chalk it up to March Boehm's legacy from 2003-present.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:48 AM, HuskerFever said:

"A Husker Switcheroo"

SUDDENLY, BASKETBALL IS NO LONGER A POOR STEPCHILD AT FOOTBALL-MAD NEBRASKA

By Sally Jenkins

February 4, 1991

https://www.si.com/vault/1991/02/04/123543/a-husker-switcheroo-suddenly-basketball-is-no-longer-a-poor-stepchild-at-football-mad-nebraska

14 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Which part? That we're in talks? Or an actual deal is in the works? Those are two entirely different things.

Remember when there were legit rumors that Jim Tressel was going to be our coach after Bo? Hoiberg is going to end up at the Suns or at Arizona if they move on from Miller (which is likely) if I had to guess. 

9 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I see the last payment to Bo P was made so NU is off the hook as far as paying buyouts for former coaches.  Not a good sign for Miles.

It was definitely an interesting decision, given the financial implications. We would have paid less for Riley when he went to coach in AAF and paying Eichorst early leads to cash flow/time value of money issues.

Had we kept them on the books, we likely safe money in the big picture. So I wonder if they had pressure just to get those obligations off the books.

16 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I understand why people think he needs an extension if retained...but if he gets a multi year extension, Moos will lose a big chunk of the fanbase..

You can't not give him a multi year extension if you retain him.  It's either get rid of him or multi year extension.  We can't keep digging ourselves a hole with assistants and recruits by giving these tidlywink extensions.

27 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I understand why people think he needs an extension if retained...but if he gets a multi year extension, Moos will lose a big chunk of the fanbase..

I honestly think there is a less than 1% chance he is retained. No one survives a make or break season in which they inplode and finish bottom 3 in the conf. Barring a last minute hail mary of epic proportions, it's not IF a new coach is hired, it's WHEN a new coach is hired.