Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

8 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Anywhere between $3-$5M would be big time and it's a matter of keeping with it if we were to whiff multiple times with the guys in the desk drawer

I'd be very surprised if NU goes to five mill. That's the number that Frosty got. I guess we'll all just have to wait & see. Will certainly be intriguing, no matter what.

13 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I'd be good with Fred Hoiberg, his granddaddy coached at Nebraska, even. Kinda cool.

Well, let me amend that... I'm good with Hoiberg as long as he has the chops to recruit B1G-time. That's the element that I've heard Fred hadn't been so fond of.

Probably the 5th time this has been posted but this is where Hoiberg talked about recruiting.

Generally seems like he hates being unemployed more than he might hate recruiting. 

I'm guessing he acquired a distaste for how NBA coaches typically don't shop for their own groceries. 

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Probably the 5th time this has been posted but this is where Hoiberg talked about recruiting.

Generally seems like he hates being unemployed more than he might hate recruiting. 

I'm guessing he acquired a distaste for how NBA coaches typically don't shop for their own groceries. 

Yeah, well, funny thing: I haven't read all 43 pages. ?

8 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Ideally we throw like 2.5 mil at matta and tell him he’s 1.5 mil for your assistants. So we are committing 4 million yet also committing to paying assistants good money to hopefully retain them for 3-5 years at a time. 

You could bump each of those #’s up 500K and I am super cool with that. 

8 hours ago, ladyhusker said:

Reading this, and understanding he's got $9 million coming his way WITHOUT taking another job...I'd be kind of surprised if Thad Matta gets back into coaching, much less back into coaching in the Big Ten, and very much less into coaching in the Big Ten in a place with actual expectations and pressure to win.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/06/thad_matta_back_in_columbus_on.html

An excerpt:

"Probably haven't felt like this in 10 years," he said. "I found out stress is real. It's a legit disease. In retirement you sleep until you're tired of sleeping, then you go about and start your day. It's being able to sleep in the night, you wake up in a good mood. I hadn't woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That's what coaching is. You can't be happy."

Maybe that's a little dramatic, but Matta's been away from coaching for a year and he sure seemed happy on Monday.

He was happy to see his younger daughter off to prom a few weeks ago and not have to worry about a recruiting visit or devising summer workout plans. He was happy this winter to watch basketball, not give a crap who won, and then sleep without those 40 minutes playing on a loop in his head.

A funny thing happened to Matta once he left coaching. He became a telephone therapist for his former brethren. Through those calls, Matta realized he didn't miss it all that much.

I'm clearly not the AD, but for those putting him on the wish list...maybe temper those wishes a little bit. This kind of makes it sound like I'm just as likely to be our next coach as he is.

See I look at this and go the other way. The man KNOWS what's important now. He still wants to coach. His leash would be loooooooooong. A personal aside - got a back injury. When it hurts it suuuuucks. When it gets better and you learn how to deal with it it gets sooooo much better. Anyhoo, I could see this ?

6 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I know for sure he likes basketball.  I am on a poster somewhere back in our high school playing days thanks to him.  

I used to see him at the Husker basketball games back when he was a student there.  I’m sure he’d be fine for us to pay big dollars for a homerun hire to help us get that elusive NCAA Tournament win.

17 minutes ago, LK1 said:

1.  Biggest stage in basketball and he was like 38, which is nuts.  

2.  He is back coaching with Doc Rivers already.  

The argument was that Matta is a slim shot because he was stressed and now has a different view on life. Lue isn't any different, other than Matta has decided to forego coaching for now and Lue decided to continue coaching. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Matta gets back into the game at some point. And who knows, maybe this is the year he decides to come back?

9 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Well the Bulls front office is also run by complete morons. He was set up to fail there. What we really need to hope doesn't happen is the Suns job opening, because in my opinion that's where he's heading if that becomes available.

2 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

I'm always skeptical to believe anything i read on here after last march i read on selection sunday we'd made the play in game of the tournament lmao

and it was perilously close to the 'play in game' for the NIT instead. 

We came within a couple of choices of being bounced to the CBI. Yikes. 

1 hour ago, Klas3131 said:

I found this article about potential UCLA hires.  While I know we are not UCLA, just give a perspective on what type of guys they may look at.   A few I would certainly not have thought of.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/theres-no-shortage-of-candidates-for-uclas-coaching-vacancy/ar-BBU8Olw

Hoiberg noted for his lack of defense coaching. Not sure what players he added or subtracted but the numbers and Sweet 16 run looked pretty good with a year of Doc Sadler as an assistant.