Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

46 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I feel like that's what he gets the most praise for? Tim's creativity on how he gets talent here, is what I think is his greatest asset.

44 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, as well. It is likely his biggest STRENGTH. Acquiring B1G-worthy guards, in particular.

I too had this line of thinking.  However, there is a fair share on this board that was upset that we "relied" so much on transfers.  I have read numerous posts on this board that have not been happy with the fact that we relied so heavily on transfers over high school players.  

I am on the same page as both of you in that I just want "dudes."  But there are a number of posters on this board who do not have the same line of thinking.  They really took it out on TM for that as well. 

4 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Ideally we throw like 2.5 mil at matta and tell him he’s 1.5 mil for your assistants. So we are committing 4 million yet also committing to paying assistants good money to hopefully retain them for 3-5 years at a time. 

Matta said no to Georgia last year and they offered him $16 million over 5 years ($3.2 million/year). May take close to $4 million to get him here. As I said before he is my #1 target and if he takes on this challenge I'm buying the 1st round at "The N Zone" (date and time to be determined)

1 hour ago, HoiBall said:

Yesterday Benning alluded to the fact that we are indeed going after a home run hire (of course we are).

Then both S&B specifically talked about the style needed to win at Nebraska and were gauging whether or not Nebraskans would embrace a Hoiberg style program (transfers, juco, high school mix)

I think the cat is starting to get out of the bag.

Style doesn’t matter so long as wins follow. 

If Frost wins, people will be happy. If he doesn’t, people will scream for the return of the i-formation and option. 

It’s not hard. 

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

You could have made the same point with a number rooted in reality.

$4.5M makes you the highest paid coach in the B1G.

No it doesn't.  That's 2.6 million less than OSU coach.

If we want a splash you're probably talking at least 5.

Edited by kleitus

26 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I too had this line of thinking.  However, there is a fair share on this board that was upset that we "relied" so much on transfers.  I have read numerous posts on this board that have not been happy with the fact that we relied so heavily on transfers over high school players.  

I am on the same page as both of you in that I just want "dudes."  But there are a number of posters on this board who do not have the same line of thinking.  They really took it out on TM for that as well. 

I'm somewhere in the middle. Miles has done a great job getting in players, but you need to be able to fill the rest of the roster with some sustainability. I think the angst from Miles isn't as much the reliance of transfers, but that regardless of transfer or high school recruit, he's still unable to get a true center.

36 minutes ago, rr52 said:

Matta said no to Georgia last year and they offered him $16 million over 5 years ($3.2 million/year). May take close to $4 million to get him here. As I said before he is my #1 target and if he takes on this challenge I'm buying the 1st round at "The N Zone" (date and time to be determined)

Not that it would be any different this year, but in life "timing" can be everything.

Still... no buyout for lue or hoiberg or matta.

Like it or not, building a brand takes money.  Lue brings a brand.  Going the safe route when you've got options to go big is destructive, not "safe".

Like i said before though... I'm good with most of the upper tier options we've stated here.  Pay the assistants to recruit instead I'm good with that.

I'm just tired of excuses.  We've got the warchest to blow some of these smaller schools out of the water on so many levels.  It's time to act like the big boy we should be instead of pussyfooting around like the whipped dog we have been for so long.

2 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

That 7 million number factors in his butler buy out. He only makes like 2.8 mil in annual salary 

1 hour ago, atskooc said:

That was quick. 

Just like Grandpa. 

Here's what Grandpa says:  Nebraska now has the money to pay a top tier coach.  I'm tired of all the people that whine and moan about Nebraska's lack of history.   This next hire, whomever it is, is gonna be a homerun. 

Grandpa's prediction:  Nebraska will win a conference championship in football the same year they win a game in the NCAA Tourney. 

Edited by cipsucks
stupidity on my part

8 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:
2 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I personally don’t think we shell out that kinda money but I surely could be wrong 

I don’t see us shelling out that kind of money either.  I hope they’re willing to pay that much for a big name hire, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Knowing our luck, we end up shelling out that much money and we hear the name and say "who?".

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If this thread reaches 40 pages, does that mean we don't get any of the coaches we're talking about?

If we get to 140 pages that means we hire Bill Self this time.  All we have to do is tell him he doesn't have to worry about winning a conference championship every single year, that he won't have to cheat anymore because all we want to do is win a tournament game and not get to the Final Four, and finally that at Nebraska he wouldn't have to worry so much about his image that he can finally take that ridiculous squirrel off his head.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

6 hours ago, ladyhusker said:

Reading this, and understanding he's got $9 million coming his way WITHOUT taking another job...I'd be kind of surprised if Thad Matta gets back into coaching, much less back into coaching in the Big Ten, and very much less into coaching in the Big Ten in a place with actual expectations and pressure to win.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/06/thad_matta_back_in_columbus_on.html

An excerpt:

"Probably haven't felt like this in 10 years," he said. "I found out stress is real. It's a legit disease. In retirement you sleep until you're tired of sleeping, then you go about and start your day. It's being able to sleep in the night, you wake up in a good mood. I hadn't woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That's what coaching is. You can't be happy."

Maybe that's a little dramatic, but Matta's been away from coaching for a year and he sure seemed happy on Monday.

He was happy to see his younger daughter off to prom a few weeks ago and not have to worry about a recruiting visit or devising summer workout plans. He was happy this winter to watch basketball, not give a crap who won, and then sleep without those 40 minutes playing on a loop in his head.

A funny thing happened to Matta once he left coaching. He became a telephone therapist for his former brethren. Through those calls, Matta realized he didn't miss it all that much.

I'm clearly not the AD, but for those putting him on the wish list...maybe temper those wishes a little bit. This kind of makes it sound like I'm just as likely to be our next coach as he is.

Damn, that sounds like me.   Thanks for those quotes Lady. 

16 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If we get to 140 pages that means we hire Bill Self this time.  All we have to do is tell him he doesn't have to worry about winning a conference championship every single year, that he won't have to cheat anymore because all we want to do is win a tournament game and not get to the Final Four, and finally that at Nebraska he wouldn't have to worry so much about his image that he can finally take that ridiculous squirrel off his head.

He was going to come the first time, but you just need to convince his wife this time around.

4 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

If hoiberg don’t come here you better go hide in a hole man lol. You will either be praised or mocked until we start this process all over someday 

Not once have I guaranteed Hoiberg coming was a lock. But the fact that discussions have taken place is a very big indicator that Moos isn’t planning on settling. And there’s real interest on Fred’s side.

Whoever is hired I’ll be here the day after cheering on Nebraska Basketball just like I have since the Nee days. I won’t run from sharing some information that has been passed to me. In my opinion, Nebraska hiring Hoiberg would be the best thing to ever happen to Nebraska basketball. I hope that days comes soon.

5 hours ago, HoiBall said:

Yesterday Benning alluded to the fact that we are indeed going after a home run hire (of course we are).

Then both S&B specifically talked about the style needed to win at Nebraska and were gauging whether or not Nebraskans would embrace a Hoiberg style program (transfers, juco, high school mix)

I think the cat is starting to get out of the bag.

If someone has a death wish take a drink every time someone says Hoiberg on 93.7 these days.

Fred has been in the midwest for I think his entire life. Seems like if he was going to chose between UCLA and Nebraska, I'd like our odds.

Could we sell him beyond just "money whip"?  Will anything interesting open up in the NBA?  One thing helpful to do I think would be to root for Richard Pitino because him being fired wouldn't help at all in this instance. 

3 hours ago, kleitus said:

Still... no buyout for lue or hoiberg or matta.

Like it or not, building a brand takes money.  Lue brings a brand.  Going the safe route when you've got options to go big is destructive, not "safe".

Like i said before though... I'm good with most of the upper tier options we've stated here.  Pay the assistants to recruit instead I'm good with that.

I'm just tired of excuses.  We've got the warchest to blow some of these smaller schools out of the water on so many levels.  It's time to act like the big boy we should be instead of pussyfooting around like the whipped dog we have been for so long.

Anywhere between $3-$5M would be big time and it's a matter of keeping with it if we were to whiff multiple times with the guys in the desk drawer

35 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Not once have I guaranteed Hoiberg coming was a lock. But the fact that discussions have taken place is a very big indicator that Moos isn’t planning on settling. And there’s real interest on Fred’s side.

Whoever is hired I’ll be here the day after cheering on Nebraska Basketball just like I have since the Nee days. I won’t run from sharing some information that has been passed to me. In my opinion, Nebraska hiring Hoiberg would be the best thing to ever happen to Nebraska basketball. I hope that days comes soon.

I'd be good with Fred Hoiberg, his granddaddy coached at Nebraska, even. Kinda cool.

Well, let me amend that... I'm good with Hoiberg as long as he has the chops to recruit B1G-time. That's the element that I've heard Fred hadn't been so fond of.