Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

No thank you on Gregie. Take a look at his conference record at the D-1 level sometime. Definition of a .500 coach. And that includes several seasons in the Mo Valley.

Then look at his conference record minus the years his son played for him. Hint: It's brutal. 

So unless he has another All-American son hiding somewhere, I couldn't pass on him fast enough. 

Plus with my luck he'd hire Grant Gibbs as an assistant coach and I'd have to find a new team to root for.

Edited by throwback

I don’t usually presume these type of things, and I could be entirely off, but Lue has a better resume than Frost as both a player and coach in his respective sport.  

I keep reading between the lines—not sure if he’s a clever enough coach and has empty accomplishments (as if any championship coach didn’t have GREAT players), bogus rumors he doesn’t have a degree, etc.  

If, let’s say, Andy Markowski was a 10 year NBA champion player with heralded credentials as a coaching assistant, multiple finals appearances, and a ring, the worst cynic in me has to admit I think Husker nation would be screaming for him.

Instead, we’re screaming for the closest thing possible—Hoiberg—whose resume is at best on par with Lue’s and probably not as good all things considered.  

I hope more of our fans open their eyes to this and start clamoring for the most prolific basketball name Nebraska can claim as *OUR OWN* and that’s Coach Lue.  He’s my #1 with Matta a close 2nd, followed by Hoiberg.  

I think the cynicism is Lue is innocent enough, but I worry about the subconscious roots of the quick cynic.  

5 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I don’t usually presume these type of things, and I could be entirely off, but Lue has a better resume than Frost as both a player and coach in his respective sport.  

I keep reading between the lines—not sure if he’s a clever enough coach and has empty accomplishments (as if any championship coach didn’t have GREAT players), bogus rumors he doesn’t have a degree, etc.  

If, let’s say, Andy Markowski was a 10 year NBA champion player with heralded credentials as a coaching assistant, multiple finals appearances, and a ring, the worst cynic in me has to admit I think Husker nation would be screaming for him.

Instead, we’re screaming for the closest thing possible—Hoiberg—whose resume is at best on par with Lue’s and probably not as good all things considered.  

I hope more of our fans open their eyes to this and start clamoring for the most prolific basketball name Nebraska can claim as *OUR OWN* and that’s Coach Lue.  He’s my #1 with Matta a close 2nd, followed by Hoiberg.  

I think the cynicism is Lue is innocent enough, but I worry about the subconscious roots of the quick cynic.  

I think the skepticism on Lue stems from the fact that the NBA and College are different games.   That and the biggest issue that has plagued every coach here since Nee....recruiting.   He's never done it.   Not saying he can't but there's nothing to go by.   I think we can do far far worse than Lue.   I'm also hoping, probably naively, that we can do better as well.

Edited by nustudent

27 minutes ago, LK1 said:

The ones who want hoiberg(not I) want him based on his already successes at ISU. 

My hold up on lue is he’s never recruited and it’s questionable weather he’s really ever coached. Being tied to lebron and all . 

No no matter who it is I will support them however 

19 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I think the skepticism on Lue stems from the fact that the NBA and College are different games.   That and the biggest issue that has plagued every coach here since Nee....recruiting.   He's never done it.   Not saying he can't but there's nothing to go by.   I think we can do far far worse than Lue.   I'm also hoping, probably naively, that we can do better as well.

Recruiting would be at the absolute bottom of my worries from Lebron’s favorite coach.  I can understand skepticism of his coaching philosophies, but I just never hear anyone comment on that.  No college experience is understandable to an extent, but levels AAU-NBA are becoming more and more similar in terms of systems. 

3 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

The ones who want hoiberg(not I) want him based on his already successes at ISU. 

My hold up on lue is he’s never recruited and it’s questionable weather he’s really ever coached. Being tied to lebron and all . 

No no matter who it is I will support them however 

Hoiberg was absolutely fantastic at ISU and also named the worst coach in the NBA.  I’m worried his NBA stint has ruined his collegiate recruiting prowess.  I hear you though.  

Lue was the highest paid assistant in the league before coaching LeBron and his rise was absolutely meteoric.  He’s only 41ish years old.  Crazy.   He’s back working with Rivers at LAC where they are quietly having a very good season.  Someone will hire him as a head coach next season.  

38 minutes ago, LK1 said:

bogus rumors he doesn’t have a degree, etc.  

Rumor? Not sure what you're talking about. He went to the NBA before he graduated.  Did he finish his degree? Not everyone who leaves early does. The quote from the LJS was from 2013 and his quote would make it seem as though he specifically did so if he wanted to coach in college.

10 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Rumor? Not sure what you're talking about. He went to the NBA before he graduated.  Did he finish his degree? Not everyone who leaves early does. The quote from the LJS was from 2013 and his quote would make it seem as though he specifically did so if he wanted to coach in college.

I’ll concede it’s a legitimate question.  I guess it’s just weird I recall him clarifying this on several occasions,  

He got the degree like 8 years ago which means he took maybe one year off after his playing career ended in ‘09, but I’m open to the idea I’m looking too far into that one.  

The in-game coaching and recruiting acumen being questioned though?  After having played for Phil Jackson?  Coaching alongside Doc and being the highest paid assistant in the league?  Playing alongside Kobe, Shaq, and MJ?  LeBron’s favorite coach?  Hell, being cousins with Tatum?  

Recruits would line up for the guy. 

7 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I’ll concede it’s a legitimate question.  I guess it’s just weird I recall him clarifying this on several occasions,  

He got the degree like 8 years ago which means he took maybe one year off after his playing career ended in ‘09, but I’m open to the idea I’m looking too far into that one.  

The in-game coaching and recruiting acumen being questioned though?  After having played for Phil Jackson?  Coaching alongside Doc and being the highest paid assistant in the league?  Playing alongside Kobe, Shaq, and MJ?  LeBron’s favorite coach?  Hell, being cousins with Tatum?  

Recruits would line up for the guy. 

I see what you're getting at but I'd chalk it up to my exposure to Lue was mostly through the lens of him only being the coach of LeBron James, one of the best players of all time and really not paying a ton of attention to the NBA in general. I put some work into it and changed my mind. I can see very much how it could work here but I could say the same thing about Darin Erstad.

11 hours ago, throwback said:

No thank you on Gregie. Take a look at his conference record at the D-1 level sometime. Definition of a .500 coach. And that includes several seasons in the Mo Valley.

Then look at his conference record minus the years his son played for him. Hint: It's brutal. 

So unless he has another All-American son hiding somewhere, I couldn't pass on him fast enough. 

Plus with my luck he'd hire Grant Gibbs as an assistant coach and I'd have to find a new team to root for.

The coach that beat us 7 years in a row, before this year, and who was actually offered a job at Ohio State, you couldn't pass on fast enough? Please tell me you're exaggerating? 

Of course McDermott isn't coming here and of course we're even considering, but who do you think we are to think that this program is too good to pass on a coach like that?

3 minutes ago, throwback said:

If he was the coach at a school 1500 miles away instead of 50 miles away, no one around here would know who he was. He has done basically nothing on a national level minus Dougie.

People know who Kevin Willard or Ed Cooley is right? Finding someone with midwest ties is one of the things we're looking at, no?

I get that hiring McDermott would be like taking a beehive and throwing it into the PBA but if one is longing for Dana Altman (I"m not) you're basically looking at the younger, cheaper version of him.  Once again I bring it up only because he's a combination of not a mid-major, in the midwest, and we're easily able to pay him more.

IMO, I want a coach who can win on the dry erase board during a game and develop guys, then I want to give him a bucket of cash to hire assistants with A+ recruiting acumen. 

Would i gauge Lue’s interest, sure, but I feel the same about him as I do Hoiberg.  I think he’s NBA bound. 

The list of possible coaches should be long. 

If you told me someone (Let's call him coach lue) could get lebron's kid and 5-10 other kids to come with within 2 years of starting and we'd be in at minimum a sweet 16 in the process....  well... i'd throw 8-10 million/year at him and not bat an eye.  And we'd be happy we did it.

Having said that...

I have no idea where to stop and start with this beyond saying that whoever it is better have a plan that includes 5-star talent.  Raise the money levels until someone like that listens.  Big enough dollars and they'll pick up the phone.

I'm cynical.  Money talks.  And at end of the day, we've got more than most problems.  if we can't get that kind of guy it is because we aren't trying.

So at this point, I don't want to hear excuses.  That's all they will be.

4 minutes ago, kleitus said:

If you told me someone (Let's call him coach lue) could get lebron's kid and 5-10 other kids to come with within 2 years of starting and we'd be in at minimum a sweet 16 in the process....  well... i'd throw 8-10 million/year at him and not bat an eye.  And we'd be happy we did it.

Having said that...

I have no idea where to stop and start with this beyond saying that whoever it is better have a plan that includes 5-star talent.  Raise the money levels until someone like that listens.  Big enough dollars and they'll pick up the phone.

I'm cynical.  Money talks.  And at end of the day, we've got more than most problems.  if we can't get that kind of guy it is because we aren't trying.

Understand what you're saying but no way in hell we pay the basketball coach that much more than the football coach.

16 minutes ago, kleitus said:

If you told me someone (Let's call him coach lue) could get lebron's kid and 5-10 other kids to come with within 2 years of starting and we'd be in at minimum a sweet 16 in the process....  well... i'd throw 8-10 million/year at him and not bat an eye.  And we'd be happy we did it

8-10 million a year ????

33 minutes ago, kleitus said:

Having said that...

If you can throw 8-10 million/year at a new coach without batting an eye, well, you've got deeper pockets than I have. I admire your good fortune, friend, and I appreciate your willingness to dig into your own resources to pay for our next basketball coach.  That's awfully generous of you.  I think I can speak on behalf of all similarly situated Husker fans everywhere that we will owe you a big debt of gratitude for your anticipated generosity.

8-10 million.  That must be one hell of a bank account you're sitting on.

1 hour ago, throwback said:

Gregie's conference record at D-1 level: 157-156 / .501 win pct

Gregie's conference record minus Dougie: 106-135 / .439 win pct

Gregie's conference record at CU minus Dougie: 39-48 / .448 win pct

Plus he's paying players (allegedly). He's obviously not very good at it.

If he was the coach at a school 1500 miles away instead of 50 miles away, no one around here would know who he was. He has done basically nothing on a national level minus Dougie.

You may have a soft spot for all things Jays. I don't. He's a fraud. We can do better ... a lot better.

I'll admit that I don't hate Creighton as much as others on this board, mostly just because of having close friends that went there. I just totally disagree with the sentiment we can do A LOT BETTER than a coach like McDermott. They're at the very least consistently in the tournament. They haven't done much when they're there, but I feel like making the tournament once every 2-3 years is a goal for programs in the Midwest like ours to strive for, then when you get there anything can happen. But I'm assuming by the way you're talking that you're just banking on becoming Kansas after this new hire?