Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

1 minute ago, Tallbaby21 said:

I think T Lue will be running the Lakers next year. 

Seems likely he'd be in the NBA somewhere for the foreseeable future as he's very young and there are opportunities that will be available for a guy who has won a championship with a super star.

26 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I assume we will talk to him but after spending a morning deep diving into Tyronn Lue my concerns about him transitioning from the pros to college are very much decreased. If there is literally a piece of paper in Bill Moos' desk, his name should be on it.

Do you mind going into more detail on what changed your opinion?  I am struggling with what to make of this possibility.  

1 minute ago, royalfan said:

Do you mind going into more detail on what changed your opinion?  I am struggling with what to make of this possibility.  

I'd chalk it up to having time to think while scooping snow than hearing something from someone if that's what you're asking.

I think he has enough coaching acumen and enough connections where he could at least equal what Miles is doing coaching/recruiting/assistant-wise. He seems to be able to manage personalities which is part of the deal here off and on the court and there is little concern about buy-in. He'd have a lot of pull just because of who he is and what he's accomplished. If he did come to Nebraska it wouldn't be because he had no other options. 

Beyond the list of guys who could win anywhere in college basketball I'd have to say that Lue looks a least as attractive if not more than the list of mid-major guys where you don't know if they translate up a level.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I assume we will talk to him but after spending a morning deep diving into Tyronn Lue my concerns about him transitioning from the pros to college are very much decreased. If there is literally a piece of paper in Bill Moos' desk, his name should be on it.

Speaking of pieces of paper, i have heard that a bachelor's degree is required to coach at a D1 school, and that Lue does not have one.   Is this all urban legend, or is their something to it?

2 minutes ago, HB said:

Speaking of pieces of paper, i have heard that a bachelor's degree is required to coach at a D1 school, and that Lue does not have one.   Is this all urban legend, or is their something to it?

Very good question...anyone know?  Is it an absolute requirement or is it a 'you need to be a AAU member to be in the B1G' type situation?

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Very good question...anyone know?  Is it an absolute requirement or is it a 'you need to be a AAU member to be in the B1G' type situation?

From the LJS:

- -

Lue said he’s considered college coaching, but prefers being able to focus entirely on basketball at the professional level.

“I have my degree now, so I can go either way,” he said. “I just have to weigh my options when the time presents itself.”

29 minutes ago, HB said:

Must be urban legend because Erstad did not have his degree when he was hired by Osborne.  Unless it’s not required to be a baseball coach for some reason. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

I think needing a degree is related to credit/accreditation requirements for coursework. For a course to get approved for credits, it must be taught by someone with a college credential, so if you have a club sport that doesn't pull in credits, you could literally hire anyone you want provided the degree wasn't a requirement (I think this covers Erstad). But basketball comes with credits as most Div1 programs do, so the instructor would need a degree. Don't know if a degreed assistant would be a loophole or not. 

All the coaching sites say you do but without explanation except for a couple. Cool question. 

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Steve Masiello was put on leave when Manhattan found out he didn't have a degree. Not sure if that was because he didn't have it or because he lied and said he did.

So, I've been thinking, thought I'd throw this out there.  Any thoughts on hiring a female coach, or coach male or female from D1 women's basketball or WNBA?  I'm sure there are some good D1 women's basketball coaches out there.  Are there any female D1 men's basketball coaches?  I don't care what your gender, color, or creed is as long as you're a great coach.

28 minutes ago, Huskerone said:

So, I've been thinking, thought I'd throw this out there.  Any thoughts on hiring a female coach, or coach male or female from D1 women's basketball or WNBA?  I'm sure there are some good D1 women's basketball coaches out there.  Are there any female D1 men's basketball coaches?  I don't care what your gender, color, or creed is as long as you're a great coach.

My only fear is recruiting connections are probably different from mens to womens basketball.

11 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

For the ultimate sake of thoroughness Greg McDermott's last reported salary in 2016-17 was  $1,153M so he probably is making 1.5M these days?

We can pay more than most any Big East coach makes but the majority would either not make sense here and/or pick up the phone if they saw a 402 number on the caller id

why is his salary so low? he allegedly turned down the ohio state job where he would have made 3x that. something doesn't add up.

i would put mcdermott on the list of names we should be considering, but he seems to have no interest in leaving creighton despite being heavily underpaid.

Edited by TimSmiles