Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

2 hours ago, DOATHLON said:

You sound petty and jelaous. Most people create wealth by utilizing what they have to the fullest, some start with nothing some with a lot. The whiners that think they are smarter than everyone else but "never had the same opportunities" are my favorite life losers cohort. They never take much risk, have little creativity or problem solving skills, don't understand money and sit around all day complaining why they don't have what someone else has. My advice.....stop worrying about how others got somewhere and put that effort into how you can get there. 

Blah, blah, blah..I would sum up your post thusly:  "I like the boot on my face.  You should like it too."  If you can't see the harm the extremely wealthy have done to this country, then I can't help you.  Go Big Red!

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Let's keep the 1% talk to the 1% of coaches please and thank you

9 minutes ago, wordyginters said:

Blah, blah, blah..I would sum up your post thusly:  "I like the boot on my face.  You should like it too."  If you can't see the harm the extremely wealthy have done to this country, then I can't help you.  Go Big Red!

I'm not thinking this is the 1% of coaches Matt was talking about....

6 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I'm not thinking this is the 1% of coaches Matt was talking about....

When I said Go Big Red!  I actually meant that I hope we can attract a coach who has a demonstrated ability to recruit, and who has possibly had success in the NCAA tournament.  I should have been more explicit.  

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Let's keep the 1% talk to the 1% of coaches please and thank you

I’m fine with that. I wasn’t trying to make a political point. Only to echo that my experience is similar to HB’s.  I’m sure there are some super rich people out there who are total dicks. But the ones I’ve met were really cool.

36 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I'd probably buy this argument 3 years ago. But when we're watching teams like Nevada, Houston, Auburn, Texas Tech, etc. programs build up their teams in the same or shorter timespan than our current leadership, it's hard not to try to expect as much as the Joneses.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

I'd probably buy this argument 3 years ago. But when we're watching teams like Nevada, Houston, Auburn, Texas Tech, etc. programs build up their teams in the same or shorter timespan than our current leadership, it's hard not to try to expect as much as the Joneses.

I do like Tim but Pettit is his buddy.  He recommended Miles to Osborne.  So there is that.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I respect Coach Pettit's opinion as stated here and he does make some valid points. Not to turn this into a football discussion, but I had the exact same feeling when Pelini was starting to feel his seat get warm. I look at it from the standpoint of investing in the stock market.

On one hand, we bought the stock 7 years ago and while we all wanted it to perform, it just has not panned out for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons was undoubtedly a learning curve for Miles to recruit, coach and run a program at this level. I am not short-changing the learning curve discussion - I do believe the argument has merit. The key question we need to answer is, have the fundamentals of the business (Miles) improved in such a way to make us believe that the investment made 7 years ago will yield market beating returns in the future?

On the other hand, if our investment thesis is no longer valid, we sell the stock, take our loss (and there will be a loss, even if we don't recognize it as such) and redeploy the capital into an investment that we believe will perform.

I am on the side of selling at this point, but I do believe Pettit makes a reasonable counter-argument.

4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

It goes to show you, it is a crapshoot.  Nevada hired an NBA HC with no previous experience as a college head coach.  Houston and Auburn hired coaches with baggage.   Texas Tech hired a mid major coach.

4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Though most of these schools have a better base of recruiting which is, as Coach Pettit points out, a major challenge for us since we aren't already well established like Kansas, Missouri, or Iowa State.  

Moos is already working the phones with no doubt the top college coaching candidates in the country.  If I'm honest, I can't argue with landing someone big like Hoiberg or Sampson.  But I still have a lot of trust in Tim Miles, and if he builds sustained success here, I think he chooses to stick around, unlike the other big names we are trying to attract.  My opinion, and it's just mine, is retain him if it doesn't look like there are any takers from the top tier coaches.  

33 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

My opinion, and it's just mine, is retain him if it doesn't look like there are any takers from the top tier coaches.  

I struggle to see how Miles stays in all but one situation.

If Moos thinks Miles is the guy for us in the long term, then he'll offer Miles a 3+ year extension.

If Moos doesn't think Miles is our guy, then extending Miles' contract one year puts the program at risk of losing fanbase momentum (think Penn State attendance and diminished expectations) and, even worse, just allowing Miles to work his final year of his contract without any extension could leave our program without a coach or any credible interest from other prospects (assuming that's the reason why he was extended one year in the first place).

I'm curious to see how this shakes up. And I'm well aware we likely won't get our top 5 wish list, unless someone with ties to the program have a reason to step in this time around.

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

It goes to show you, it is a crapshoot.  Nevada hired an NBA HC with no previous experience as a college head coach.  Houston and Auburn hired coaches with baggage.   Texas Tech hired a mid major coach.

Beard was an assistant under both Knights at Tech for 10 years.

For the ultimate sake of thoroughness Greg McDermott's last reported salary in 2016-17 was  $1,153M so he probably is making 1.5M these days?

We can pay more than most any Big East coach makes but the majority would either not make sense here and/or pick up the phone if they saw a 402 number on the caller id

14 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Back in to say we should probably be looking hard at that Nevada coach.

38 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

For the ultimate sake of thoroughness Greg McDermott's last reported salary in 2016-17 was  $1,153M so he probably is making 1.5M these days?

We can pay more than most any Big East coach makes but the majority would either not make sense here and/or pick up the phone if they saw a 402 number on the caller id

I think there are certain Big East coaches making more than their reported numbers indicate. There's no way Jay Wright is only making 2.5 million, and I find it hard to believe McDermott is only getting 1.5 million. Still, I get your point that we can offer more.

Just now, OmahaHusker said:

I think there are certain Big East coaches making more than their reported numbers indicate. There's no way Jay Wright is only making 2.5 million, and I find it hard to believe McDermott is only getting 1.5 million. Still, I get your point that we can offer more.

Maybe Moos should just send an email blast to all Division 1 coaches and state that we are willing to pay $4M/year and ask the coaches to respond to the email if they are interested?