Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

Anyone who shows up at the Pinnacle today deserves to be called one of NU's "best fans" regardless of when they make an exit. I am afraid to step out on my glassy front porch this morning to get the paper-if it even gets delivered. Drive safely this afternoon, fans and stay off the highways. I'll plan to check in on the Sox/Yanks game in Florida to root for the suits and warm up a bit vicariously at some point. 

I am unsure if this is micro-managing.  I do believe there are certain critical hires in all departments where the president of the business and/or system could/should be involved.  Certainly at Nebraska, there are Deans that likely are not hired without the involvement of Hank Bounds.  If I recall correctly, the athletic department is self-funded.  All sports are part of a budget that exists because of funding driven exclusively from donations and monies earned through media rights, ticket sales, et, al.  No legislative funding is provided.  

It is also my understanding that UNL fields nine men's and thirteen women's teams.  Twenty-two in total.  Of those twenty-two teams, I believe only three of them operate in the black (football, basketball and volleyball).  Please correct me if I am incorrect.  If this is correct, or even if I am a little off, wouldn't it seem reasonable, that the President of the University system, be involved in the hiring/retaining of the head coach in one of the three major programs that support the other nineteen?  

I guess that is my logic when I opine that I am not alarmed/surprised that Hank Bounds and/or Ronnie Green is involved in the hiring/retaining process of a coach in one of the three aforementioned programs.  Now, the extent they are involved is yet another question.  

18 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

collier, sadler, miles never won a tourney game at their previous school. 

weird how they didn't win one here either...

the main criteria for the next coach should be that they've won a tourney game. preferably at a power 5 school.

This is a huge point with me. I think history tends to repeat itself with basketball. Find a guy who wins at least 60% of his games and has won some ncaa games. 

I cant remember what thread I saw this in but I texted it to a buddy and it was sobering. Sorry to the original author, but I don’t feel like searching the board for this post, but it might be the best one I’ve ever seen. 

This next one is a must win. The coach, that is. Here's how we fared so far in the 21st century:

2000-2006, Barry Collier
Previous history: Butler (11 years) - 59.8% winning, NCAA: 0-3, NIT: 2-1
89-91 49.4%, (36-60) 37.5%
6 seasons
NCAA: 0-0, NIT: 1-3
2006-2012, Doc Sadler:
Previous history: UTEP (2 years) - 72.7% winning, NCAA: 0-1, NIT: 0-1
101-89 53.2%, (34-64) 34.7%
6 seasons
NCAA: 0-0, NI T: 1-4
Transitioned to the Big Ten
2012-Present, Tim Miles:
Previous history: Colorado State (5 years) - 44.7% winning, NCAA: 0-1, NIT: 0-1, CBI: 0-1
110-107 50.7%, (49-70) 41.2%
7 seasons (to-date)
NCAA: 0-1, NIT: 0-1
New basketball arena and state-of-the-art practice facility

So in the 2000's (19 year s), we are: 300-287 51.5% (119-194) 38.0%; NCAA: 0-1, NIT: 2-8.

The combined coaching success at the previous job we hired the coaches from is: 315-238 57.0%, (146-115) 55.9%; NCAA: 0-5, NIT: 2-3, CBI: 0-1.

This "new" arena is turning 6 years old later this year and, although our fan base has been getting Top 15 attendance in the NCAA since the new arena was build, they're obviously growing weary about the direction of this program right now. We need a winner. We need someone who knows how to build a program and win a game in the tournament.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:13 AM, HB said:

Oh, I'm not in the club.  Not remotely.  I came from squat, and haven't advanced much past it.   But these 8 to 9 figure folks I've encountered are good folks, down to earth and you really wouldn't know they had that kind of scratch if you didn't know it.  The fact that they hang with the likes of me basically makes my point 

Oh, ain't that the truth. I don't rub elbows often with the upper crust, but as a result of being a dad with kids who do stuff, I've encountered some people who were EXTREMELY wealthy.  Like top 1% of the top 1%.  They've always been gracious and warm people whom you'd never think had money if you didn't know who they were.

1 hour ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

Man, this is a tough day.  Weather nobody wants to be out in, and most likely the end of another era for Nebrasketball.

I can remember standing in the first row, half court, of the student section in the heyday of the Danny Nee era in early 90s, thinking that Nebraska basketball had finally made the big time!  Yelling at Big Country about failing an exam as he ran by and getting a "WTH, how did you know?" expression from him (pre-internet opponent scouting was challenging!).  The talent on the court.  Clifford Scales. Erick Strickland. Jamar Johnson.  Eric Piatkowski.  Beau Reed.  Bruce Chubbick. Carl Hayes.  Dupries Owens.  The fast pace.  The ridiculous scores!  Free Runzas if Nebraska scored over 100.  100.

I can remember the Barry Collier years, sitting in section C3 with my folks, enjoying the games, but missing the excitement of Nee.  Sure, we had good players like Cary Cochran, Nate Johnson, Wes Wilkinson and Jake Mulheisen, but the style of basketball was much slower,  and I don't recall a season that felt like we were regaining that big-time feel of Nee.

I was a huge Doc Sadler fan, and was fortunate to be able to sit in on many of his open practices at Devaney.  Boy, did he like to latch on to a player and ride him; saw that several times with Christain Standhardinger.  Will never forget watching the game vs Hawaii on TV where Doc got an intentional Technical foul and thrown out of the game... to make sure that the game was reviewed.  NU had something like 11 fouls to Hawaii's 3 or 4 up to that point.  It sure swung the other way once the ref's realized the game was gonna be watched.  Doc struggled with roster management and could not recruit shooters, and I think that was what brought his time here to a close.  Thankfully he re-recruited Aleks Maric and got him to come back!  I'll always remember Ade Dagunduro, Steve Harvey, Lance Jeter and Cookie Miller.  The year we had the smallest roster.  When Aleks broke Pike's 43 point single game record.  Or was it 42?

I was also very happy with the Tim Miles hire.  Great personality like Doc, had turned Colorado State around when it struggling.  I thought if he could really recruit, we could get that big-time feel back.  Terran Pettaway and Walter Pitchford leading the team to the NCAA (finally!).  Isaac Copeland and James Palmer in a repeat attempt.  Sit Down Sunday.  Tai Webster's senior season.  Shavon Shields never quitting.  Benny Parker's hustle.

Guess I just wanted to take a walk down memory lane on a tough day like today.

Doc rolled the bones on a very dicey talent upgrade with guy that wound up not playing well together and Standhardinger killed him. Subtraction by addition. Tim mentioned his big virgin mistake on the podcast, letting Jordy return only to burn the team a second time. Doc's was deviating from recruiting players suitable for his approach to the game. He needed to keep pushing for his kind of players but with slightly more skills and he probably survives. The MItes were brilliant coaching. That 3rd class was a masterclass in how to botch a cohort. Doc's doing well in Hattiesburg, and he has a young squad, to boot. The P5 might hear from Sadler again in about 3-4 more years. 

1 hour ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

Man, this is a tough day.  Weather nobody wants to be out in, and most likely the end of another era for Nebrasketball………..

Will never forget watching the game vs Hawaii on TV where Doc got an intentional Technical foul and thrown out of the game... to make sure that the game was reviewed.  NU had something like 11 fouls to Hawaii's 3 or 4 up to that point.  It sure swung the other way once the ref's realized the game was gonna be watched...……..  

A most interesting observation.

5 hours ago, tcp said:

Doc rolled the bones on a very dicey talent upgrade with guy that wound up not playing well together and Standhardinger killed him. Subtraction by addition. Tim mentioned his big virgin mistake on the podcast, letting Jordy return only to burn the team a second time. Doc's was deviating from recruiting players suitable for his approach to the game. He needed to keep pushing for his kind of players but with slightly more skills and he probably survives. The MItes were brilliant coaching. That 3rd class was a masterclass in how to botch a cohort. Doc's doing well in Hattiesburg, and he has a young squad, to boot. The P5 might hear from Sadler again in about 3-4 more years. 

I agree it was a mistake letting Jordy back last year.   However,  do we win 22 games and 13 in conference without him?  It's a really tough ? to ask yourself.   Knowing he's not coming back this year, and that with all the wins we end up on the NIT bubble, barely getting in, you would not let him back.

The cupboard might not be as bare as we thought for the next coach. Bring back roby Amir allen Brady nana. Hopefully retain Burke green and Arop. I don’t think it happens but I’d love too see the next coach keep coach gates. Happens all the time in football, not much in basketball. If we could get two more big guys thats a roster that could win right away I think. 

My five hopeful coaching candidates are 

1. Thad matta

2. T.j otzelberger 

3. Mark tuergeon 

4. Steve Alford 

5. Wes Miller UNC Greensboro 

21 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

So he's open to coaching at any level and management. It sounds basically that Hoiberg is saying he'd like to be employed doing something. That's a plus, I guess. So no reason not to talk to him. 

15 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Oh, ain't that the truth. I don't rub elbows often with the upper crust, but as a result of being a dad with kids who do stuff, I've encountered some people who were EXTREMELY wealthy.  Like top 1% of the top 1%.  They've always been gracious and warm people whom you'd never think had money if you didn't know who they were.

That's cute you guys,  your one off anecdotes are heart warming.  But I think the only way out is to EAT THE RICH.  I can counter your anecdotes with stories of well heeled loons being absolute wankers in social settings that set my teeth on edge.  Granted, I've had the misfortune of working in restaurants and retail in college, and as an adult, I spent a decade in the financial service industry.  So I haven't seen people at their best.   Again, obviously, I'll admit I'm painting with a big brush instead of contributing to the myth of the kind and benevolent rich overlords, but in my experience, the most irrational and demanding customers end up being those with the most money.   The fatal flaw is that people who have big bucks think they got there because they are smarter than everyone else, or work harder than everyone else.  It's never that simple.  Way too easy to overlook the good fortune you've had along the way and think that you are something special.  Hell, in this world, if you've got a stable fam situation, 2 parents, and maybe they read to you everyday when you are a kid or make sure you get involved in "enrichment" activities as a kid, you've got a helluva leg up right there. God forbid you have to service investments for some small business dude who made it big and thinks they've got vision and the rest of the world has glasses.  Sure.  Most folks are decent.  Nice even.  But in my experience, a noxious attitude towards the great unwashed often lurks beneath the surface.  Greed.  A lack of humility.  A lack of compassion.  Hubris.  This is what I think of when I think of the 1%. Are there exceptions to the rule?  Of course.  Your mileage may vary, but I'm basing my opinions on actual real world interactions too.  I can't just sit here, on a snow covered Sunday morning, and let people talk about rich people in glowing terms.  A bridge too far.

Edited by wordyginters
noticed grammatical error

You sound petty and jelaous. Most people create wealth by utilizing what they have to the fullest, some start with nothing some with a lot. The whiners that think they are smarter than everyone else but "never had the same opportunities" are my favorite life losers cohort. They never take much risk, have little creativity or problem solving skills, don't understand money and sit around all day complaining why they don't have what someone else has. My advice.....stop worrying about how others got somewhere and put that effort into how you can get there. 

1 hour ago, wordyginters said:

That's cute you guys,  your one off anecdotes are heart warming.  But I think the only way out is to EAT THE RICH.  I can counter your anecdotes with stories of well heeled loons being absolute wankers in social settings that set my teeth on edge.  Granted, I've had the misfortune of working in restaurants and retail in college, and as an adult, I spent a decade in the financial service industry.  So I haven't seen people at their best.   Again, obviously, I'll admit I'm painting with a big brush instead of contributing to the myth of the kind and benevolent rich overlords, but in my experience, the most irrational and demanding customers end up being those with the most money.   The fatal flaw is that people who have big bucks think they got there because they are smarter than everyone else, or work harder than everyone else.  It's never that simple.  Way too easy to overlook the good fortune you've had along the way and think that you are something special.  Hell, in this world, if you've got a stable fam situation, 2 parents, and maybe they read to you everyday when you are a kid or make sure you get involved in "enrichment" activities as a kid, you've got a helluva leg up right there. God forbid you have to service investments for some small business dude who made it big and thinks they've got vision and the rest of the world has glasses.  Sure.  Most folks are decent.  Nice even.  But in my experience, a noxious attitude towards the great unwashed often lurks beneath the surface.  Greed.  A lack of humility.  A lack of compassion.  Hubris.  This is what I think of when I think of the 1%. Are there exceptions to the rule?  Of course.  Your mileage may vary, but I'm basing my opinions on actual real world interactions too.  I can't just sit here, on a snow covered Sunday morning, and let people talk about rich people in glowing terms.  A bridge too far.

With any grouping of people, you will have the good, the bad and the ugly.  That observation is age old, and fits any race, religion, class, gender et al.  

Good Bad GIF - Good Bad Ugly GIFs