Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

5 hours ago, LK1 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing someone with a unique system like Syracuse brought in who knows that 2-3 defense.  Every time I watch Syracuse play I think that defense looks like such a pain in the ass to prepare for.  Basically no other teams run it.  It's like the triple option of basketball.  I'd love to see that here.  

I sure as hell would like to see us play it than the 1-3-1

23 hours ago, Huskerone said:

Still nervous about Moos hiring a basketball coach.  He was brought here to fix football.  

I'm trying to remember the last time NU hired an A.D. to fix the basketball program.  Anybody remember?  Maybe it's time if Moos can't.

Seriously, can you see Hank Bounds calling a press conference a couple days after the Penn St fiasco, you know, sort of like Harvey Perlman did in 2007 after the Okie St football game and hiring a new A.D.?  Tells you something about where BB stands in this state compared to FB.  Of course, I'm not exactly distributing a news flash here.

Edited by HuskerCager

10 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

I'm trying to remember the last time NU hired an A.D. to fix the basketball program.  Anybody remember?  Maybe it's time if Moos can't.

Seriously, can you see Hank Bounds calling a press conference a couple days after the Penn St fiasco, you know, sort of like Harvey Perlman did in 2007 after the Okie St football game and hiring a new A.D.?  Tells you something about where BB stands in this state compared to FB.  Of course, I'm not exactly distributing a news flash here.

Perhaps this just proves your point, but if it wasn't for Bounds,  Eichorst doesn't get fired when he does (trust me, Green wasn't gonna do it).  So yeah, Bounds has the chops, if it was indicated; he's done it.   But the reason that isn't necessary here is because  this AD will make the hire.  In the other 2 instances there was no way the current AD was going to get to make the hire.   Moos is gonna make the hire, that's what the vote of confidence was about a few weeks ago.  

17 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Ohio St. is a football school that has been good in hoops over the years.  They are paying Holtmann 7.1 million a year if my google search is correct.  7.1 million.  

We sure as hell better be able to pony up 3.5 million.  

He is actually making 3 million.  The rest of the money was the buyout cost when he left Butler.

38 minutes ago, royalfan said:

3 million looks like a figure that should get a really good coach.  Add on a bonus for winning a tournament game and lets go.  It is time.  

Makes a ton of sense. The PBA is still relatively new, the coach can recruit to that place and virtual abundant playing time with the coming departures of the majority of the minutes... git-r done NU!

3 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

it's going to come down to how much money we can spend. 

if we can spend 3+ mil, it's almost guaranteed we will land a good coach. there's only 14 coaches making 3mil+

Money isn't everything to a coach.  

Having said that we can easily pay 4 million a year with our budget and home attendance

14 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Personally I'd rather beat teams based on talent rather than on teams not being fully prepared. That oddball offense causes teams like Georgia Tech football to beat Clemson every four years or Doc Sadler putting together a solid enough defense to nearly beat Kansas every once and awhile, but it's such a bore to watch just for those one or two chances you may beat a team.

If you can have the best talent, yes talent usually is the best way to go....

But at Nebraska, even if you have the best recruiter, where do you expect Nebraska to rank in the big 10 in talent (my, lucky to be in top 10 in talent year in and year out), so knowing that you are usually going to below the elite teams in the league in talent, you need to find something that you can run that gives you an equalizer....

11 hours ago, HB said:

Perhaps this just proves your point, but if it wasn't for Bounds,  Eichorst doesn't get fired when he does (trust me, Green wasn't gonna do it).  So yeah, Bounds has the chops, if it was indicated; he's done it.   But the reason that isn't necessary here is because  this AD will make the hire.  In the other 2 instances there was no way the current AD was going to get to make the hire.   Moos is gonna make the hire, that's what the vote of confidence was about a few weeks ago.  

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Just because he got a vote of confidence publicly doesn't mean he will be allowed to make that decision.  Bounds will be making that decision.

6 hours ago, PimpMario said:

Money isn't everything to a coach.  

Having said that we can easily pay 4 million a year with our budget and home attendance

Easily??

So you're telling me the athletic department is just going to go from putting basketball on the back burner to paying their new head coach a Top 5 salary IN THE NATION?

I know this is the place for the upmost of optimistic Nebrasketball fans to come but come on...

9 hours ago, Omahusker said:

Not happening. He is on contract thru 2022-2023, makes $2.7 mil/year plus he has one of the of the youngest teams in the country sitting at #4 in the B1G with nearly everyone back next year. No reason to leave MD

Not that cut and dry with him. He is at a place that expects banners, and their fans are pretty restless. Not too far-fetched to think there would be a mutual separation if Maryland gets bounced the 1st weekend of the dance. Hell there was a ton of hot seat talk about him before this season started.  

10 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Easily??

So you're telling me the athletic department is just going to go from putting basketball on the back burner to paying their new head coach a Top 5 salary IN THE NATION?

I know this is the place for the upmost of optimistic Nebrasketball fans to come but come on...

Basketball has been on the back burner based on what exactly? Sure maybe a decade ago...but not now. 

12 minutes ago, Haymarket Husker said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Just because he got a vote of confidence publicly doesn't mean he will be allowed to make that decision.  Bounds will be making that decision.

True, it's more complicated than I wrote.   But the main points were that this is a way different situation than 2007, and Bounds has the chops that the original poster was questioning.  Which you are agreeing with. 

As important as the head coach salary, there are other equally important factors.  Some of them are assistant coach salary pool, recruiting budget, hierarchy support, apparel discretion and perks, contract perks, livability of the city (remember both Bo and Billy C complained about their lack of privacy) and so forth.  

13 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Exactly. The athletic department doesn't have the formula for winning in basketball on a budget here.  VCU, Xavier, Butler, etc have the combination of support system internally and general idea of what type of coach will work in their conference and at their school where they can find the right diamond in the rough. This is why they are "basketball schools".  If you gave us 10 mid-major or assistant coaches and there were 2 of them that would absolutely work here do you think we would pick one of those two?  Seems unlikely because we'd just try to pick the guy that was opposite of whatever flaw we thought was the problem with the last guy.

For all of Miles shortcomings and failings we know the guy can recruit players capable of playing in this conference. Mid major guy who can coach...can he recruit? Assistant can recruit...can he run a program.  New guy comes in and what he needs can't be done "because football".  We're talking about blowing up everything for the chance to the same thing again.  In that scenario, let's see if Jervay Green is the NBA level combo guard that Miles absolutely needs to be successful.

Now, if we can look ourselves in the mirror and know that we need to bring in a guy who absolutely knows how to get it done and we can go out and make it happen? Are we ready to get a guy from the 'list of obvious guys' and prepared to make it happen?  In that scenario, we're most likely going to get a guy who will be more successful than Miles and we should proceed.

In other words, if we're just going to go out and do the same thing we've done the last 3 hires, you might as well keep Miles and see what happens with the new guys coming in.  If they're going to finally try and make a big move then we're all okay with them letting Miles go.  

My biggest question is do we really trust the AD and this administration to actually go out and do that?  I'm not totally sure I do.  Moos did great with the Frost hire but it's not really like he had to do a lot of digging or thinking to know that's the direction the fan base and administration wanted him to go.  I guess time will tell as I think making a move is already a forgone conclusion.  But if we're still going to be where we're at now or worse in another 7 years because they don't care enough or have the stones to make a big move then I'd rather keep Miles here and see if he can make it work.