Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Neither - I suspect "ocean" was code for going to Lake Mcconaughy, which is the closest thing to an Ocean in Nebraska, and where he is secretly meeting with Moos to finalize a deal.  This is the same script as the "clandestine" meeting in Philadelphia when Moos basically came to terms with Frost.  Please note that I have no "sources" that this is occurring, only a very logical assumption that ocean means Lake Mcconaughy and that Hoiberg is about to be our next coach.

16 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Will not believe Hoiberg, if he wanted to coach collage basketball he would still be at the school he loves in Ames. I would love it yes and hopefully I am completely wrong but will not allow myself to believe unless contracts are signed.

There are plenty of guys who have been lured to the NBA by the competition and money who have gone back to college but yeah us bringing down a suitcase full of money to Bill Self didn't end up with Bill Self coming here.

41 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

"Was it a 15 second segment on Pitino?" said me knowing  that I'd constantly make this joke if we whiff on plan A, B, C or D. 

Otherwise if UNLV was the Overlook Hotel there is currently a picture there from 1921 and Rick Pitino is it.

Name a better coach with 15 sec left in the half or game? No one draws up a play that finishes at the bucket in that amount of time like Pitino.

Can someone explain why Lewis would be a good head coach? He's supposed to be in charge of the offense and that's the first thing people complain about. Does Miles refuse to implement his ideas? Is the culture so bad from the head coach that it doesn't allow Lewis to be successful? I get the sense the Lewis would be a good head coach, but I don't see any evidence from his time here.

41 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Will not believe Hoiberg, if he wanted to coach collage basketball he would still be at the school he loves in Ames. I would love it yes and hopefully I am completely wrong but will not allow myself to believe unless contracts are signed.

I think he wanted to coach in the NBA, but he may not be afforded that opportunity anymore after his unsucessful stint with the Bulls.

13 minutes ago, avfan2121 said:

Can someone explain why Lewis would be a good head coach? He's supposed to be in charge of the offense and that's the first thing people complain about. Does Miles refuse to implement his ideas? Is the culture so bad from the head coach that it doesn't allow Lewis to be successful? I get the sense the Lewis would be a good head coach, but I don't see any evidence from his time here.

Agree that we get very stagnant far to often,  but I also see a lot of wide open shots clank off the rim.

3 minutes ago, KZRider said:

If Lewis was the likely next HC, wouldn't it make sense to cut ties with Miles now and name him the interim as an audition for the job?

Well...most names on this board aren't "likely" so just let them run with the hypotheticals.

I suppose we have to remain optimistic, but history shows the fans aren't getting any of their top 10 choices.

I would take any of these 5 and be happy. 

1) Mark Few: Long shot I know, but I think we can raise his salary by a million a year. (He currently makes less then Miles!).  He might be at the point in his career that he wants one last big payday. He obviously has not been that money motivated though in the past. Being in Washington, I have to think Moos has some relationship with him. You have to take a shot with him.

2) Hoiberg. Knows how to win in the Midwest. Brings instant credibility.

3) Matta: Knows how to win in the Big Ten. Might be the most realistic on this list. 

4) Howland: Always been a fan. 

5) Altman: I think coaching around Phil Knight would be a pain in the rear. Frost seemed to like him though so I could be wrong. Dana knows this state. Huge benefit. 

I think Nebraska will offer 5-7 year contract and start around 2.75 -3.00 million a year. That is an excellent salary range. 

12 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

I would take any of these 5 and be happy. 

1) Mark Few: Long shot I know, but I think we can raise his salary by a million a year. (He currently makes less then Miles!).  He might be at the point in his career that he wants one last big payday. He obviously has not been that money motivated though in the past. Being in Washington, I have to think Moos has some relationship with him. You have to take a shot with him.

2) Hoiberg. Knows how to win in the Midwest. Brings instant credibility.

3) Matta: Knows how to win in the Big Ten. Might be the most realistic on this list. 

4) Howland: Always been a fan. 

5) Altman: I think coaching around Phil Knight would be a pain in the rear. Frost seemed to like him though so I could be wrong. Dana knows this state. Huge benefit. 

I think Nebraska will offer 5-7 year contract and start around 2.75 -3.00 million a year. That is an excellent salary range. 

Few wouldn’t leave, we could try but it would be a waste of time, he’s a Zaga lifer. I think the rest of the list are probably at the top or near the top for Moos.

3 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

Does anyone have an extra $25 million sitting around that they can offer up as a one time bonus to any coach that can win Nebraska our first NCAA tournament game?  That might entice a bigger name coach to come here.

I’d do it if I had the cash but I’m currently broke.

I would, but I currently have all my money tied up in helping out a Nigerian prince.

1 hour ago, avfan2121 said:

I guess I brought his name to the table because somebody had brought it up to me in a conversation during a workout.  I am not 100% sure he will be a great head coach, but he seems to have the pedigree.  He played and was a grad assistant under Bobby Knight.  During his tenure at Butler the Bulldogs made four postseason appearances, including three NCAA Tournaments. In each of the three NCAA appearances, the Bulldogs won at least one NCAA game, including wins over Texas (2015) and Texas Tech (2016). He was also part of a Butler program which orchestrated the fourth-best win improvement in Big East history in 2014-15.  He seems to have had a lot of success recruiting at Nebraska and is sort of front and center on a number of our commitments.  

I tend to think of him more as a fall-back candidate and I would much rather take a flyer on him rather than another mid-major head coach.  This of course is dependent upon whether or not Coach Miles is retained/extended.   

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Few wouldn’t leave, we could try but it would be a waste of time, he’s a Zaga lifer. I think the rest of the list are probably at the top or near the top for Moos.

If Moos does not try he is not doing his job.  A million dollars a year raise is a lot of money. Spread that over 7 years and now he is walking away from 7 million. That's money he is deciding to leave on the table when he goes into retirement. This does not take a  lot to make the offer. Make him say no. The unknown factor to me is how well does Moos and Few know each other. 

When a kid makes his initial list of schools he wants to attend, the first school he should put down is  his dream school. No matter how unlikely he goes, it needs to be on his list. Same with hiring a coach in my opinion.

I know its a long shot, but stranger things have happened in the coaching business. One thing I believe with all my heart is this. This is a GREAT job. The past history of the program does not change that. The people in charge have to believe this and support it. 

6 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

If Moos does not try he is not doing his job.  A million dollars a year raise is a lot of money. Spread that over 7 years and now he is walking away from 7 million. That's money he is deciding to leave on the table when he goes into retirement. This does not take a  lot to make the offer. Make him say no. The unknown factor to me is how well does Moos and Few know each other. 

When a kid makes his initial list of schools he wants to attend, the first school he should put down is  his dream school. No matter how unlikely he goes, it needs to be on his list. Same with hiring a coach in my opinion.

I know its a long shot, but stranger things have happened in the coaching business. One thing I believe with all my heart is this. This is a GREAT job. The past history of the program does not change that. The people in charge have to believe this and support it. 

Few most likely does not answer a call from a 402 area code.  He has had chances to leave for much better options than trying to raise us from the dead and said no.  He loves where he is at (according to him) and probably is there until he retires.

Edited by colhusker

1 hour ago, imnothipp said:

Relationship is the key. You have one, you call the impossible coach.  You don't? Bad, bad look to have a guy say no and have it end up on the front page while we're still playing.

17 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

That'd be great if Few cared about money. Read about the guy a little bit, you'll understand there is no point in even asking, because he isn't coming. He values being out of the spotlight, spending time with family, fishing and enjoying the outdoors. He is right where be belongs and where he wants to be.

--

He's more proud of the order that surrounds his program. He's ignored offers to coach at bigger schools with bigger budgets because he's smart enough to understand the value and rarity of what he's constructed in Spokane.

Plus, he might not find good fly-fishing in a major market.

Few was widely rumored to be a candidate for vacancies at USC and UCLA in recent years. Roth never bought it.

"Years ago, there was a job opening that happened to be in Los Angeles," Roth said. "People were saying that's a big-time job and Mark's going to take it. But somebody said, 'But there are no good trout streams in Los Angeles.'"

10 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Relationship is the key. You have one, you call the impossible coach.  You don't? Bad, bad look to have a guy say no and have it end up on the front page while we're still playing.

I agree that relationship is the key. State of Washington is not so big that Moos and Few have not crossed paths I am sure. Getting turned down is never really a good look, but getting turned down by Few just says you are aiming high. Nothing wrong with that in my book. And if we are worried about how that looks while we are still playing then let Miles go now. I am sure Moos would do everything in his power to protect the story and I am sure Few would as well. No guarantee that it does not get leaked, but I am sure there are plenty of meetings between AD's and coaches that does not hit the press.

By the way, I will let it go now. I know its a long shot and don't want to blow this out of proportion. I understand that.