Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

12 minutes ago, tcp said:

And unicorns frolic playfully in the Candy Cane Forest. 

Fans are the same everywhere, by and large. Ya got your good eggs. Ya got your d-bags. As Ghandi wanted to say but i hadn't yet coined the phrase, "no people has a monopoly on either saints nor sinners". 

There are good fans and average fans and then there are shitty fans.  All teams have some of each.  We should never make the mistake of thinking that the shitty fans represent the whole of the fan base.

I think I can defend a claim that Nebraska fans are, on balance, better than most.  I have NEVER seen or heard opposing fans claim to be brutalized here the way I've seen videos and heard first-hand accounts of fans being brutalized in other venues.  Penn State and Colorado being among the absolute worst offenders.

Show me another football venue where the home fans give a standing ovation to the opposing team leaving the field, win or lose.

Show me another basketball program just hoping to make the post-season that gets 15,000 fans to come out.

Show me another volleyball program that gets 8,000 fans to show up to every home game. Hell, the 5th best attendance team in volleyball gets less than half the number of fans that we get.

I keep on seeing people point out the assholes, though, and use that to claim we don't have the best fans.  Listen, the exception doesn't disprove the rule.

Unfortunately, some of the exceptions inhabit this board from time to time (but usually only when we're losing, so …)

34 minutes ago, lanigan123 said:

If you are paying 4 million, you have to consider Will Wade. 

Also, when you give enough for buildings to have your name, you don’t have to bite your tongue.  All fans are entitled to an opinion. 

I really liked Doc, I think he always fought uphill battle with staff $ and facilities. 

LSU is among the schools that are part of the FBI investigation. Not sure how much they are involved but think next trial concerning this starts April 22nd. Probably don't want to hire a coach not knowing how much he may have been involved.

5 minutes ago, rr52 said:

LSU is among the schools that are part of the FBI investigation. Not sure how much they are involved but think next trial concerning this starts April 22nd. Probably don't want to hire a coach not knowing how much he may have been involved.

All hypothetical, but I bet we could write up a clause where the contract is negated should something come out of the trial. But 1. we probably don't want to get involved with this at all and 2. we could be out of a coach in May.

28 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

There are good fans and average fans and then there are shitty fans.  All teams have some of each.  We should never make the mistake of thinking that the shitty fans represent the whole of the fan base.

I think I can defend a claim that Nebraska fans are, on balance, better than most.  I have NEVER seen or heard opposing fans claim to be brutalized here the way I've seen videos and heard first-hand accounts of fans being brutalized in other venues.  Penn State and Colorado being among the absolute worst offenders.

Show me another football venue where the home fans give a standing ovation to the opposing team leaving the field, win or lose.

Show me another basketball program just hoping to make the post-season that gets 15,000 fans to come out.

Show me another volleyball program that gets 8,000 fans to show up to every home game. Hell, the 5th best attendance team in volleyball gets less than half the number of fans that we get.

I keep on seeing people point out the assholes, though, and use that to claim we don't have the best fans.  Listen, the exception doesn't disprove the rule.

Unfortunately, some of the exceptions inhabit this board from time to time (but usually only when we're losing, so …)

As an old timer that very much loves that tradition, I won't disagree that it's one of our more endearing traits. At least for the folks sitting in those sections in the SW stadium. Understand that this isn't about alchemical measurements of dick to do-gooder ratios or anything. Other fan bases do nice things, too, like raise money for cancer patients of an opponents school or mourn the loss of a player, or clap for an injured player that gets off the field. Our tradition is fairly unique, and it's awesome, but I think it's nitpicking the general point: we're just not all that different from other fan bases. Saying that isn't pissing on your own fans. I love Husker fans. It's my favorite thing about being home again. That and Runza fries and burgers. I guess I don't need to feel pride from fan base generalizations, so they're not really important to me. 

1 hour ago, HB said:

I've met quite a few awesome ones.  You wouldn't' know, if you didn't know....

I'm not pals with them. I was a servant. The guy who kept them from eating lead. They usually appreciated the service. 

So I see this through the eyes of a servant. And these were, as I said, working relationships. 

So it's almost always a matter of social equality. I have no doubt that if you're in the club, the perception of relationships are very, very different. 

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I believe a great number of our fans have class.  If you choose not to believe that, or if you personally believe you lack class, you are certainly allowed to provide that opinion.

I would agree out fan base does when it comes to football. When it comes to basketball I think we’re just like every other fan base, except keep showing up despite the product. 

1 hour ago, BBFan said:

Haven't gone back to read the other 29 pages in this thread to see if anyone has brought up Darrin Hansen.  I think the best bet would be an assistant that has been in the Big Ten for awhile.

Funny you should say that...I did hear a name, but it wasn't from anybody in an authority role.  The name was Michael Lewis.

4 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Funny you should say that...I did hear a name, but it wasn't from anybody in an authority role.  The name was Michael Lewis.

Actually like Lewis a lot and would rather go with him than most mid-major reaches.   But there's almost no shot he gets promoted after being a part of a fired staff.

36 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Actually like Lewis a lot and would rather go with him than most mid-major reaches.   But there's almost no shot he gets promoted after being a part of a fired staff.

Which is unfortunate you could talk me into a staff of Lewis as head coach, and retaining gates to keep up the recruiting momentum. I much prefer that over some mid major name. I still much prefer a Thad Matta or maybe see if Shaka Smart wants to come here. I’m not at all excited about a potential of lue or hoiberg. 

Just now, bobcat402 said:

Which is unfortunate you could talk me into a staff of Lewis as head coach, and retaining gates to keep up the recruiting momentum. I much prefer that over some mid major name. I still much prefer a Thad Matta or maybe see if Shaka Smart wants to come here. I’m not at all excited about a potential of lue or hoiberg. 

Have no clue how someone could not be excited about a Hoiberg hire.  

Still nervous about Moos hiring a basketball coach.  He was brought here to fix football.  Plus the fact that Nebrasketball has not been kind to coaching careers, probably does not endear us to a lot of coaches.  With that in mind, I'm thinking it will be another guy I'll have to google when he's announced.  I'm not saying that guy can't be successful.  Just not sure it'll be the big splash name (Lue, Hoiberg, Matta, Altman, etc.).  Good luck Mr. Moos, I'll have my fingers crossed.  Winters around here aren't quite as cold when Nebraska basketball rolling.

5 hours ago, tcp said:

I'm not pals with them. I was a servant. The guy who kept them from eating lead. They usually appreciated the service. 

So I see this through the eyes of a servant. And these were, as I said, working relationships. 

So it's almost always a matter of social equality. I have no doubt that if you're in the club, the perception of relationships are very, very different. 

Oh, I'm not in the club.  Not remotely.  I came from squat, and haven't advanced much past it.   But these 8 to 9 figure folks I've encountered are good folks, down to earth and you really wouldn't know they had that kind of scratch if you didn't know it.  The fact that they hang with the likes of me basically makes my point 

3 hours ago, HB said:

Oh, I'm not in the club.  Not remotely.  I came from squat, and haven't advanced much past it.   But these 8 to 9 figure folks I've encountered are good folks, down to earth and you really wouldn't know they had that kind of scratch if you didn't know it.  The fact that they hang with the likes of me basically makes my point 

well, no, it doesn't, it does mean that you have a different experience than I do. And that's perfectly cool. 

17 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Just trying to create a list of guys who fit that description (Loosely). Feel free to add

1. Matta

2. Hoiberg

-  Grand Canyon Sized Gap  -

3. Lue

4. Andy Kennedy

- Getting Hit By a Bus - 

5. Rick Pitino 

Even though I"m not sure anyone can personally stand him Steve Alford does fit this list.

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I heard Sipple mention Pitino already.........maybe start preparing some Pitino & Alford are misunderstood material. 

"Was it a 15 second segment on Pitino?" said me knowing  that I'd constantly make this joke if we whiff on plan A, B, C or D. 

Otherwise if UNLV was the Overlook Hotel there is currently a picture there from 1921 and Rick Pitino is it.

13 hours ago, nustudent said:

I thought I did, but it seems he has his hands on a lot of the coaching, and I don't particularly like what I am seeing.