Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

Names are important, but you need to land a superstar that can grade high on all levels of need.  What are the requirements/needs of the next Husker basketball coach?

* Needs to have a budget to hire/retain exceptional assistant coaches.  Coaches who leave here should be head coaching hires, not lateral moves to another institution

* Needs to have a high offensive mind IQ.  Needs to be able teach offensive and develop offensive talent

* Recruit.  We need to recruit at home; but also have "ins" within the fertile recruiting areas of the upper Midwest and East-coast

* It is important to relate to the Husker fan base.  We certainly are not spoiled by our basketball success.  He needs to win and he needs to stay in touch with the fans

What else?  

I do not think we can afford to go the mid-major route again.  We need a veteran coach who can quickly get us and keep us on track.   

3 hours ago, Mr. Red said:

I believe that Hoiball thinks he is the Charlie to your Neil?????  I'm grasping here

Ah, then he missed the point.

When you're the person who very much wants to be seen as "credible" that's one thing.

Credibility on a subject matter such as if a person who everyone knows will be a target will be or not be our next coach is whatever.  Different strokes though.

Laying down and dying vs Penn St is basically a game over sign.  The need to then cook up some half baked observation like Miles is an asshole because he's the only coach who wears glasses doesn't invoke the word "credibility".

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Any chance Buzz Williams would be looking to move on again? He gets paid pretty well at Va Tech but if we up the ante would he listen? 

Probably a no go for two reasons

1. He's a guy who know when to move on and it's very much not time to move on at Virginia Tech

2. He's pretty good friends with Miles and he would probably ask Miles about the low down.

2 hours ago, hhcscott said:

"according to ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith, who believes James wants to see the Lakers bring in Tyronn Lue."

Just sharing this. I'd love to see Lue lead the Huskers, but believe he's got a couple more chances at top NBA jobs before he'd consider college.

Successfully co-existing with LeBron James is a very in demand in certain places

17 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Ah, then he missed the point.

When you're the person who very much wants to be seen as "credible" that's one thing.

Credibility on a subject matter such as if a person who everyone knows will be a target will be or not be our next coach is whatever.  Different strokes though.

Laying down and dying vs Penn St is basically a game over sign.  The need to then cook up some half baked observation like Miles is an asshole because he's the only coach who wears glasses doesn't invoke the word "credibility".

Sure, because I'm the only guy in this world that doesn't think Miles is a good coach and has done things to alienate the administration and look overly selfish. Because I'm the only person in the world criticizing not only his ridiculous self serving appearance on a joke of a podcast, but also the fact that he is a marginal basketball coach at best and has never proven to be otherwise.

Get outside of your world, see it from some different angles and accept that the world might exist a little differently than you see it.

Because on this board we all have to think the same.

Also, I'm not just saying Fred is a target. I'm saying I have sources that think he will be Nebraska's next coach. Very different.

My list of coaches you make tell you no for $4M/year for 8 years.

Hoiberg

Matta

Marshall

Altman

Lue

If you don't have luck with any of these names I'd be ok with talking to Kelvin Sampson.  If he passes then you need to decide if you want to go with Mid-major guy version 4.0 or some assistant from a power 5 school.  If it comes down to it and I have to Google the next coach and talk myself into how good he'll be here then I think Moos failed.

10 hours ago, tcp said:

Oats will likely get a better Power 5 gig at this point. This is the same issue we had when we hired Miles. There were some more desirable mid major coaches who could hold out for better jobs. And almost all of them got those better jobs. Unless the armored car gets backed up, we'll be hiring the same kind of "intriguing possibility" mid major coach we've been doing and hoping for the best. 

But we gotta be honest. Nebraska's been a career killer for its last 3 coaches. That's going to be taken seriously. 

It certainly didn't kill Colliers career.  He went on to be an AD at a school he was from

Sadler is coaching at arguably a better school than before we hired him.

3 minutes ago, timofarmer said:

My list of coaches you make tell you no for $4M/year for 8 years.

Lue

I just don't understand why this is such an admired option to people, but I'm more than open to hearing people's position. Maybe I'm just not seeing what other people are about Lue in the collegiate circuit.

Just now, HuskerFever said:

Might want to look in the mirror and get out of your world to realize that many people on this board have a similar view as you about the coach, but they're choosing not to make every single post on this board about how much they hate Miles and want to see him get fired and move his family out of Lincoln.

I'm sure you've got some good perspectives on hoops other than beating the same drum about the inevitability about a coach. How about we talk about those things instead? Otherwise, just join the other handful of people who only visit this board and comment when things are very down in the program.

Fair perspective, but I've had this view for multiple years.

Also, I think Tim is a big boy and said as much in his podcast. He kind of brought that on himself don't you think?

Just now, PimpMario said:

It certainly didn't kill Colliers career.  He went on to be an AD at a school he was from

Sadler is coaching at arguably a better school than before we hired him.

This is why the key term was "coaching career". He wasn't going to move up if had stayed a coach. 

I actually ran into Doc a couple of times in Hattiesburg. If you've ever been to S. Miss., it's basically a chunk of east campus. It's a demotion from NU. But Doc's doing well there. Which makes me happy, because I still think he was a much better coach than we give him credit for here. 

3 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Fair perspective, but I've had this view for multiple years.

Also, I think Tim is a big boy and said as much in his podcast. He kind of brought that on himself don't you think?

It's not a good look, that's for sure. Poorly timed and, really, probably too candid especially when you're publicly talking about the people who pay you.

11 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Sure, because I'm the only guy in this world that doesn't think Miles is a good coach and has done things to alienate the administration and look overly selfish. Because I'm the only person in the world criticizing not only his ridiculous self serving appearance on a joke of a podcast, but also the fact that he is a marginal basketball coach at best and has never proven to be otherwise.

Get outside of your world, see it from some different angles and accept that the world might exist a little differently than you see it.

Also, I'm not just saying Fred is a target. I'm saying I have sources that think he will be Nebraska's next coach. Very different.

Viewing 8/10 threads the past month should tell you that you are not the "only guy" that thinks Miles is a bad coach.  

Edited by hskr4life

16 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

When you have a major Nebrasketball donor calling for Lewis to become interim coach on twitter....the end is near. Miles must be dreaming about his demise. 

That says, "I'm a whiny sack of **** and the only way for me to feel better is for Tim to feel bad." Grow up, whoever you are.

44 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

There are plenty of people on this board with whom I often find myself in disagreement but also respect.

Coaches come and go; how people interact on this board tends to remain fairly constant over the long run.

28 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I just don't understand why this is such an admired option to people, but I'm more than open to hearing people's position. Maybe I'm just not seeing what other people are about Lue in the collegiate circuit.

I agree that if he played his college ball at say Missouri he would not be as high on my list.  Reasons why I would be willing to roll the dice with Tyronn Lue are:

He played here and won here.  He has coached a team to the Finals in all three years that he finished as head coach winning once.  Combine that with the two rings he won as a player and he could be a highly effective recruiter by selling his NBA experience and knowing what it takes to get there and succeed.  Obviously he would have to prove it, but these are some real pluses for him on the recruiting trail.  It may be a reach, but I think it could work.  I want someone who has had success at a high level and Lue fits that bill.  I don't want to have to talk myself into how great the next coach is going to be here because he never finished lower than third in the Big South.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Nah you're not alone.  Could he be the guy to take us to the promise land of college basketball, maybe.  But given he has never recruited and only been a head coach for a couple seasons (with the best player in the game right now), I am not sure at this point you take that chance.  Some day maybe.

Edited by colhusker