Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

6 hours ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Why not? This thread has almost 600 replies and 23,000 views. Clearly, anyone who has even a small interest in Nebraska basketball knows how this might end and that includes Tim.

He might be dumb, but he's not stupid. It seems pretty simple: Win games and stay, lose games and get fired. That is true whether or not he says anything publicly about it.

As mentioned previously, it seems like Tim was just being Tim and if you're going to get the boot, you might as well go as your honest and true self.

it doesn't show me that tim is very confident in himself/the team if you go on a podcast and talk about how there's a good chance you are going to get fired.

especially when this team is 1 or 2 wins away from being on the bubble.

Edited by TimSmiles

9 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

it doesn't show me that tim is very confident in himself/the team if you go on a podcast and talk about how there's a good chance you are going to get fired.

Yeah, well some on here think that he is going to get fired either way.  Look.  Tim has always been a straight shooter.  He wasn't gong to sugarcoat anything in the podcast.  There is a select group on here and in the public that want him gone.  That wanted him gone weeks ago.  He's also human.  So when everyone dogs on you, it's natural for thoughts to creep into your mind on if you're going to get fired or not.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

Yeah, well some on here think that he is going to get fired either way.  Look.  Tim has always been a straight shooter.  He wasn't gong to sugarcoat anything in the podcast.  There is a select group on here and in the public that want him gone.  That wanted him gone weeks ago.  He's also human.  So when everyone dogs on you, it's natural for thoughts to creep into your mind on if you're going to get fired or not.

i don't think moos has made a decision. he has no basketball connections based on who he has hired in the past. 

it would be a mistake to fire miles if he can even just take this team without copeland to a play in game.

6 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

Did you actually listen?  He said he felt like he was on the hook.  The administration has clearly sent that message for two consecutive years with two different AD's .  It often seems like the more honest you are the more you get in trouble with your statements.  Maybe he should have blown smoke up Goodman's ass.  Might have that have worked with Morrow and Tshmanga too?  Moos told him that retention was an option. (I think we all know what another option is) and he didn't give him any exact benchmark expectation.  Mercifully this needs to end with him caught on to the boat (fired) or set free to swim and recruit (new contract).  The one year extension after the 22 win season and 4th place finish in the conference was a horses*** vote of no confidence and it will likely bite us in the butt whether we go on a run or don't.  

4 hours ago, nustudent said:

This is why I never bought that narrative that he would leave for another job if we have success this year.   If he supposedly had other P5 offers like he said and turned them down when he's on the 'hot seat' here, he's not going to turn them down when he gets an extension.  MIles wants to be here and we pay him very well.

If we didn't give him a very long extension is the path for that to happen.  

7 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

i was not a huge fan of this interview. 

i don't need to hear tim talk about how he might get fired at the end of the year.

how about just keep quiet have some confidence that you can finish the season 3-2 and make the tournament.

I don't think these things are mutually exclusive...

22 minutes ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

Did you actually listen?  He said he felt like he was on the hook.  The administration has clearly sent that message for two consecutive years with two different AD's .  It often seems like the more honest you are the more you get in trouble with your statements.  Maybe he should have blown smoke up Goodman's ass.  Might have that have worked with Morrow and Tshmanga too?  Moos told him that retention was an option. (I think we all know what another option is) and he didn't give him any exact benchmark expectation.  Mercifully this needs to end with him caught on to the boat (fired) or set free to swim and recruit (new contract).  The one year extension after the 22 win season and 4th place finish in the conference was a horses*** vote of no confidence and it will likely bite us in the butt whether we go on a run or don't.  

maybe the reason the administration has it out for him is because he hasn't made the tournament since 2014. 

regardless, doing this podcast during the most crucial part of the season seemed unnecessary.

they are not going to fire him if he makes the tournament. this is not a scott frost situation where a new coach is already lined up.

Edited by TimSmiles

My ideal scenario is we make the Tournament and Tim gets an extension.

I would understand if we didn't make it, and we go a different direction. Like sales, this job is proformance based - If you don't hit your numbers, you get sent packing.

I feel like I'm in the minority and I need to pick a side TEAM MOOS or TEAM TIM.

45 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

My ideal scenario is we make the Tournament and Tim gets an extension.

I would understand if we didn't make it, and we go a different direction. Like sales, this job is proformance based - If you don't hit your numbers, you get sent packing.

I feel like I'm in the minority and I need to pick a side TEAM MOOS or TEAM TIM.

I totally agree with this in that the job is based on your performance.  But …. the thing that bothers me is that it was a 7 year contract and 7 year build and I feel like we undercut Miles in years 6 and 7 with the one year extension.  I suppose you can blame having multiple athletic directors, but I would be wary as the next coach being told to come in and build your program.

I get that we have great facilities and fan support and should expect better results, but in a 6 year time period we went to the dance and tied for the second most wins in school history and then we shot the puppy.  I have resigned myself to the fact that a change is likely coming, but man I would love to see a team next year with Roby, Allen, Heimann, Burke, Green and Mika Adams Woods next year.  I would love to see Miles and what I think is a super staff in Lewis and Gates reenergized to hit the recruiting trail with a fresh extension.   Next year is already setting up to be another run at 20 wins and a tourney berth if we don't blow it up.  After a while winning seasons, the bubble, tourney berths become the norm and then we step up from there.

I am worried that this time we actually hire our John Groce.

19 minutes ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

Next year is already setting up to be another run at 20 wins and a tourney berth if we don't blow it up.  After a while winning seasons, the bubble, tourney berths become the norm and then we step up from there.

Yup especially if we are coming off of back to back winning seasons(that’s something here). Next 5 to 11 games are awful important for the program 

8 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Yup especially if we are coming off of back to back winning seasons(that’s something here). Next 5 to 11 games are awful important for the program 

At this point last year, this year we were going to be a shoe in for the NCAA tournament.  A top 4 Big Ten team.  That hasn't worked out so well.  I have a hard time believing that in year 8 we will all of a sudden become a fundamentally sound team on the offensive end.  A team that can put the ball in the hole.  I would suspect Miles will still get his chance if he can finish strong but it must start tonight with PSU.   

9 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I think your math is off.  5 regular season + 4 Big Ten Tourney + 6 NCAA Tourney Games = 15 games left ?.  

Your point still stands despite questionable math!

25 minutes ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

I totally agree with this in that the job is based on your performance.  But …. the thing that bothers me is that it was a 7 year contract and 7 year build and I feel like we undercut Miles in years 6 and 7 with the one year extension.  I suppose you can blame having multiple athletic directors, but I would be wary as the next coach being told to come in and build your program.

I get that we have great facilities and fan support and should expect better results, but in a 6 year time period we went to the dance and tied for the second most wins in school history and then we shot the puppy.  I have resigned myself to the fact that a change is likely coming, but man I would love to see a team next year with Roby, Allen, Heimann, Burke, Green and Mika Adams Woods next year.  I would love to see Miles and what I think is a super staff in Lewis and Gates reenergized to hit the recruiting trail with a fresh extension.   Next year is already setting up to be another run at 20 wins and a tourney berth if we don't blow it up.  After a while winning seasons, the bubble, tourney berths become the norm and then we step up from there.

I am worried that this time we actually hire our John Groce.

I get your point of view, but still have a hard time absolving Coach Miles. I've said all along Tim should be the one given credit for the accomplishes of this season - at the same time I think its fair to saddle him with at least a portion of the blame if we fall short of the tournament this year. All-in-all I think Coach Miles tenure here has been solid, not great. A tournament appearance would trend it in the right direction and I would give him an extension he would be very happy with.

If this season ends with 6-7 conf wins, I would completely be okay trying something else, and don't think an AD should let fear of failure get in the way of that. It's easy to say well what if the next coach is John Groce, or Barry Collier - at the same token what if its Chris Beard or Rick Barnes. Fear of failure really shouldn't be a deciding factor.

1 minute ago, thrasher31 said:

There might be a chance he walks also if they make the tourney. Or is that too much to assume? 

In that scenario it depends on who is contacting your agent and what Is Nebraska offering, right?   

This is all pretty unlikely but what were the odds that we win 22 games, don't make the tourney, and Miles didn't get fired in a 'make or break it year'?

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I get your point of view, but still have a hard time absolving Coach Miles. I've said all along Tim should be the one given credit for the accomplishes of this season - at the same time I think its fair to saddle him with at least a portion of the blame if we fall short of the tournament this year. All-in-all I think Coach Miles tenure here has been solid, not great. A tournament appearance would trend it in the right direction and I would give him an extension he would be very happy with.

If this season ends with 6-7 conf wins, I would completely be okay trying something else, and don't think an AD should let fear of failure get in the way of that. It's easy to say well what if the next coach is John Groce, or Barry Collier - at the same token what if its Chris Beard or Rick Barnes. Fear of failure really shouldn't be a deciding factor.

This is a fair assessment.  Solid but not great.  What I like about Miles is I think he would say the same thing and he is willing to learn and adapt.  None of this, "we were excellent in all areas" baloney.   I agree that you don't hire and fire out of fear (and I hire a bunch) but I would rather take a moldable, solid guy growing into his role than spinning the wheel of never been successful at this level.  That's why Moos gets the big bucks I guess, only he might be gone in three years so its us fans that will enjoy or lament his effort (and he still got the big bucks!)  Again, I have sort of resigned myself that we are planning on spinning the coaching wheel.

10 minutes ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

This is a fair assessment.  Solid but not great.  What I like about Miles is I think he would say the same thing and he is willing to learn and adapt.  None of this, "we were excellent in all areas" baloney.   I agree that you don't hire and fire out of fear (and I hire a bunch) but I would rather take a moldable, solid guy growing into his role than spinning the wheel of never been successful at this level.  That's why Moos gets the big bucks I guess, only he might be gone in three years so its us fans that will enjoy or lament his effort (and he still got the big bucks!)  Again, I have sort of resigned myself that we are planning on spinning the coaching wheel.

I can honestly say I have no idea what we are going to do when it’s all said and done. I certainly hope we hang on to Miles if we make the tournament sans Cope.

Also if you have an 6-figure jobs open up in Omaha I’ll send you my resume!

23 hours ago, WSCHusker said:

Troubling that the majority of people really continue to react to these interviews exactly how Miles wants you guys to react. People like Andy Katz and Jeff Goodman support Miles because he grants them access which turns into clicks and chatter. They don't give a rat's ass about on-court performance they just care about entertainment. Pretty sure Miles has more or just as many podcast appearances as he does wins in the last month. He's a damn good showman, and yes he's a likable funny guy, but nobody is debating that. 

Edited by NebrasketballJake

I think most here will all agree that the best thing for us likely would have been to meet expectations this year and thus for Miles to earn a full renewal of his contract.

If we can't make the dance with this roster, Copeland missing for the last 1/3 of the year or not, then it is time to move on.  Yes, we have some good players coming in, but are they really any better than what we have?   It's disappointing because a NCAA torunament bid this year could have really sparked some momentum when combined with last year and the incomiing classes, but if it is another year with no dance and next year looking like an impending rebuilding year....keeping MIles isn't going to be good.   There is going to be a level of angst in the fanbase and with an extension or not, Miles is still going to be viewed as being on the hot seat and very close to being fired.   It won't be Bo-like because Miles doesn't have Bo's boorish personality, but there is going to be a level of toxicity regardless.   Miles sells and represents the program well (sans the winning) so its unfortunate if he cant get it done, but at some point you have to move on.   It's unrealistic to think that people will continue to consistently buy in with more and more failures.   Hopefully he can just please everyone and get to the dance.