Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

I am still all in on Tim Miles. I hope we keep him around for a long time and I hope he has success here. I don't expect that we will become a basketball powerhouse over night no matter who the coach is. I remember back when lots of people were calling for Tom Osborne to be fired. He even went to Colorado to check on the head coaching position there because of that.

I was here rooting for the huskers when Danny Nee was here. Danny had some really good teams. I was also rooting for the Huskers when Barry Collier was here and when Doc Sadler was our coach. They had limited success but I was rooting for them just like I am rooting for Tim Miles. The difference in the quality of talent we have now compared to what the last two coaches were able to recruit to Nebraska is not even close. I know there are plenty of schools that would take Tim in a second. He recruits well and he does things the right way. The problem with the world of sports today and the world in general is the win at all cost mentality.

I hope we can somehow win 3 of our next 5 games and then make some noise in the BIG Ten tournament. I hope we can make it to the NCAA but if we go to the NIT again I will still be rooting for Tim and the team! 

I hope Tim Miles is our coach for as long as he wants to be here!!! Go Big Red!! 

I hope I spelled everything correctly...

32 minutes ago, BigTate said:

I am still all in on Tim Miles. I hope we keep him around for a long time and I hope he has success here. I don't expect that we will become a basketball powerhouse over night no matter who the coach is. I remember back when lots of people were calling for Tom Osborne to be fired. He even went to Colorado to check on the head coaching position there because of that.

I was here rooting for the huskers when Danny Nee was here. Danny had some really good teams. I was also rooting for the Huskers when Barry Collier was here and when Doc Sadler was our coach. They had limited success but I was rooting for them just like I am rooting for Tim Miles. The difference in the quality of talent we have now compared to what the last two coaches were able to recruit to Nebraska is not even close. I know there are plenty of schools that would take Tim in a second. He recruits well and he does things the right way. The problem with the world of sports today and the world in general is the win at all cost mentality.

I hope we can somehow win 3 of our next 5 games and then make some noise in the BIG Ten tournament. I hope we can make it to the NCAA but if we go to the NIT again I will still be rooting for Tim and the team! 

I hope Tim Miles is our coach for as long as he wants to be here!!! Go Big Red!! 

I hope I spelled everything correctly...

He did what he has done at previous stops.  He turned the program around.   I hope we do finish 3 - 2 with a win or 2 in the BTT, and Miles finds out how to win a game in the NCAA tournament, and sticks around for as long as he wants to be here.  He is actually comparable to Nee in that he brought talent in, but fans question the X's and O's.  In his first 7 years, he had 1 neutral court win in the post-season against Arkansas Little Rock.  He had 4 home wins in the NIT.  If Nebraska gets a home game last year, like they should have. IMHO Miles has his first post season win.  

6 minutes ago, twinswingohuskers said:

Sounds like Hoiberg is going to be the new general manager of the Minnesota timberwolves according to the St Paul paper.

I have sources that say Hoiberg is returning to Ames:

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Article/Fred-Hoiberg-Iowa-State-return-pregame-speech-Big-12-game-129234286/Amp/

5 hours ago, HB said:

Nice try.   It's called context.    It wasn't being a spelling policeman on typing "there" instead of "their" (or my favorite one on this board, that I always let slide, "dominate" for "dominant").   When you want to rip on someone as famous as Dr. Tom and misspell his name twice, well, it just had the appearance of being deliberate.  And probably trolling.  And undercutting what you purport to be an "actual objective discussion."    I have plenty of objective discussions on here (3200 up-votes on 4100 posts didn't just fall out of the sky), but I can pick who I have them with.   And something about your post caused me to say, "Nah....."  

How do you feel about folks who use alot instead of the correct a lot?  :)  

Just now, tcp said:

Miles interview was nice. No matter what happen to Timmeh, you can't help but like the dude. 

And you can't help but root for the guy. 

I really wish he could've been the one, because it would've been fun to have him around for a lot of years. 

He still can be the one!  Let's Go!  ?

57 minutes ago, WSCHusker said:

Really recommend a listen if you have the time.   Candid.    Interesting snippet where Miles suggests there are other(s) in the administration who don't want him to be coach (beyond Moos).    He is also quite direct about the impact of only getting a one year extension last year.    There were many on here who were trying to dress that pig up and call it a swan, but coach was quite explicit in explaining the meaning of that.   Pretty fascinating conversation.  Funny take at the end where he says "with my luck we'll get in, win a first 4 game and everyone will say it doesn't  count".  Goodman follows up with "and you get fired anyway".   Family stuff was powerful.  

9 minutes ago, HB said:

Really recommend a listen if you have the time.   Candid.    Interesting snippet where Miles suggests there are other(s) in the administration who don't want him to be coach (beyond Moos).    He is also quite direct about the impact of only getting a one year extension last year.    There were many on here who were trying to dress that pig up and call it a swan, but coach was quite explicit in explaining the meaning of that.   Pretty fascinating conversation.  Funny take at the end where he says "with my luck we'll get in, win a first 4 game and everyone will say it doesn't  count".  Goodman follows up with "and you get fired anyway".   Family stuff was powerful.  

Sounds to me like he’s gone and he already knows it. I feel like you do this interview after you’ve been fired, not in the middle of the conference season.

Making candid comments about the administration and then coming back with a long extension? Not happening. This interview was very telling

4 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Sounds to me like he’s gone and he already knows it. I feel like you do this interview after you’ve been fired, not in the middle of the conference season.

Making candid comments about the administration and then coming back with a long extension? Not happening. This interview was very telling

I actually thought that this was Tim being Tim.  Nothing more or less than that.

2 hours ago, HB said:

Goodman was on the Podcast (Parrish) I believe with Norlander.  I wish Tim all the best.  I hope he gets on and wins one no matter what one that is.  

10 hours ago, hskr4life said:

This was a great listen for anyone with the time.

i was not a huge fan of this interview. 

i don't need to hear tim talk about how he might get fired at the end of the year.

how about just keep quiet have some confidence that you can finish the season 3-2 and make the tournament.

Edited by TimSmiles

37 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i was not a huge fan of this interview. 

i don't need to hear tim talk about how he might get fired at the end of the year.

how about just keep quiet have some confidence that you can finish the season 3-2 and make the tournament.

Why not? This thread has almost 600 replies and 23,000 views. Clearly, anyone who has even a small interest in Nebraska basketball knows how this might end and that includes Tim.

He might be dumb, but he's not stupid. It seems pretty simple: Win games and stay, lose games and get fired. That is true whether or not he says anything publicly about it.

As mentioned previously, it seems like Tim was just being Tim and if you're going to get the boot, you might as well go as your honest and true self.

48 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Why not? This thread has almost 600 replies and 23,000 views. Clearly, anyone who has even a small interest in Nebraska basketball knows how this might end and that includes Tim.

He might be dumb, but he's not stupid. It seems pretty simple: Win games and stay, lose games and get fired. That is true whether or not he says anything publicly about it.

As mentioned previously, it seems like Tim was just being Tim and if you're going to get the boot, you might as well go as your honest and true self.

One other thing he did make crystal clear in that interview is that he wants to remain at Nebraska 

28 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

One other thing he did make crystal clear in that interview is that he wants to remain at Nebraska 

This is why I never bought that narrative that he would leave for another job if we have success this year.   If he supposedly had other P5 offers like he said and turned them down when he's on the 'hot seat' here, he's not going to turn them down when he gets an extension.  MIles wants to be here and we pay him very well.

I think the one year extensions, whether it was the Eichorst one year removed from the tournament run or Moos at the end of tying the record for 2nd most wins in school history that cut the legs out from under him.  Whatever happens this year we need to either support him with a new contract or let him go.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:12 PM, GoClones said:

Not that anyone here has any reason to believe me but when it comes to Hoiberg, from a couple of good Ames sources it sounds like they expect him to end up with the Timberwolves. He enjoyed his previous time there and his family likes the area.  As far as college goes it seems like two schools constantly pop up that he is interested MSU and KU (this might cause a riot in Ames and a burning of his jersey).  I haven't heard anything about interest in NU.

I live in the MPLS area and would be surprised if Ryan Saunders isn't given the full time head coaching gig.  The fans really love him and the positivity of having him around.  However, the pioneer press had a note in the paper this weekend that they expect (speculation) Hoiberg to be the next GM

3 hours ago, nustudent said:

This is why I never bought that narrative that he would leave for another job if we have success this year.   If he supposedly had other P5 offers like he said and turned them down when he's on the 'hot seat' here, he's not going to turn them down when he gets an extension.  MIles wants to be here and we pay him very well.

I think a lot of this, and everything that’s been publicly said is for leverage, by either party.  Their are people who will speak off the record.  I’m not so certain making the dance would save him.  Ive heard it would take a tourney win, that was pre Copeland injury.  Not so certain that changed.