Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

1 hour ago, lanigan123 said:

My source is good friends of someone who would be negotiating the deal. Fred would prefer an NBA front office job to coaching in college again. 

Weird, that’s exactly opposite of what this article says.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25707047/fred-hoiberg-says-prefers-coaching-college-basketball-nba-front-office%3fplatform=amp

29 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Question. Was this site around when miles was hired? And if so who were the most common names mentioned then? 

It was. Maybe @hhcmatt could help out, but I forgot this site got a new facelift in 2012 after our latest coaching transition. That's probably all for the best.

I know I was a big proponent for John Groce. Altman came up as usual. I think even Bruce Weber and Frank Martin. Maybe even Been Howland. There were plenty others I can't think of at this moment.

We all remember who hired Coach Miles, correct??   The almighty himself isn Nebraska lore . . . . The benchmark of UN athletics, the ICON . . . None other than Dr. Tom Osbourne.    

Are you all saying now that Dr. O was clueless, Dr. O was wrong, didn't know what he was doing?   If given the opportunity, would ANY of you look Tom Osbourne in the eye and tell him how ridiculous vhe was 7 years ago?

I understand major college basketball is a business. But I also understand how fickle all the fans can be. When Dr. Tom announce the higher everybody was in love because nobody questioned his wisdom.  Suddenly the Great and Powerful Oz didn't know what he was doing and the man who is the best coach in the country 4 years ago has forgotten how to coach?

How many of you, if married, understand what it means when you say, through sickness and in health, for richer for poorer, For Better or Worse?

12 minutes ago, HuskerND said:

Are you all saying now that Dr. O was clueless, Dr. O was wrong, didn't know what he was doing?   If given the opportunity, would ANY of you look Tom Osbourne in the eye and tell him how ridiculous vhe was 7 years ago?

It's very well documented that this was a very strange hire that came out of left field from the very beginning. But you know what, the media and the fans jumped on board to see where this ride would take us. And it's been quite the ride.

8 hours ago, HuskerND said:

We all remember who hired Coach Miles, correct??   The almighty himself isn Nebraska lore . . . . The benchmark of UN athletics, the ICON . . . None other than Dr. Tom Osbourne.    

I understand major college basketball is a business. But I also understand how fickle all the fans can be. When Dr. Tom announce the higher everybody was in love because nobody questioned his wisdom.  Suddenly the Great and Powerful Oz didn't know what he was doing and the man who is the best coach in the country 4 years ago has forgotten how to coach?

How many of you, if married, understand what it means when you say, through sickness and in health, for richer for poorer, For Better or Worse?

Spell much?

12 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

It was. Maybe @hhcmatt could help out, but I forgot this site got a new facelift in 2012 after our latest coaching transition. That's probably all for the best.

I know I was a big proponent for John Groce. Altman came up as usual. I think even Bruce Weber and Frank Martin. Maybe even Been Howland. There were plenty others I can't think of at this moment.

John Groce

DANA ALTMAN

Danny Manning

2 hours ago, HB said:

Spell much?

HB:. Typical with these types of boards. You don't care about content or an actual objective discussion, you want to be the grammar police, so you don't have to unviel you lack of depth or scope.

That's fine. This just continues to show the fickle nature of fans.  I love the passion for your alma mater or for whoever you love in college sports. But if you're unable to see through either spelling or punctuation mistakes have an objective discussion you put your stake in the ground as to what's important to you.

I'm going to stick with trying to be objective and seeing the big picture. I also know, if you go to the dance this year your current head coach has 25% of your NCAA tournament appearances yet we should run him out of town because he doesn't know what he's doing.

Edited by HuskerND

10 hours ago, HuskerND said:

I understand major college basketball is a business. But I also understand how fickle all some of the fans can be. When Dr. Tom announce the higher everybody was in love because nobody questioned his wisdom.  Suddenly the Great and Powerful Oz didn't know what he was doing and the man who is the best coach in the country 4 years ago has forgotten how to coach?

I fixed that for you.  There are a lot of us fans out there who understand.  It is that pocket of fans that are over the top.  

1 minute ago, HuskerND said:

HB:. Typical with these types of boards. You don't care about content or an actual objective discussion, you want to be the grammar police, so you don't have to unviel you lack of depth or scope.

C'mon man. You just got up on a soap box to lecture someone about the greatness of Tom Osborne and can't be bothered to get his name right.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Here is the deal, and I have said this before.  Coach Miles is OUR HUSKER basketball coach.  As long as he is, I will support him, cheer him on and pray they we will become a consistent winner and NCAA tournament regular.  

That said, Coach Miles is now the 33rd best paid coach in the nation, based upon the article I have attached.  He is being paid very well, and is likely one of the higher paid individuals in our fine state.  When you are paid that amount of money, there are resultant expectations.  There is certainly an argument that those expectations are in peril of not being met.  I do believe Coach Miles is a very good ambassador for our program.  I do believe he works hard at his craft.  I do believe he has brought together a good staff.  I do believe he is recruiting and developing good players.  I do believe he earned his coach-of-the-year honors that were recently bestowed upon him.  But I also understand the pressure to succeed and the angst brought about by our recent seven game slide.

There are a lot of people who are rightly upset.  There are a lot of fans currently on the fence, but are wanting and ready to support Tim if he turns this thing around (two game streak) and yes, there are a few snakes in the grass that relish their opportunity to spread their venom.  That group slithers into view when things are bad, and then slithers away when things are good.  But hey, it is their right to do so.  There is an "ignore" button available that you can engage if you wish not to see their points of view.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

C'mon man. You just got up on a soap box to lecture someone about the greatness of Tom Osborne and can't be bothered to get his name right.

I understand and respect that, but let's not lose sight of the bigger Topic at hand here.  I will simply refer to him as Dr. Tom going forward, I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool Husker fan but I certainly know of his legacy at that University. If not for Coach Miles I would follow the Huskers as I do today.

My offense was to HB simply ignoring the issue and focusing on grammar. To me that shows a level of short-sightedness that is reserved for internet chat boards rather than being solution-oriented.

In the corrupt world of college basketball I would hope that running a Clean Program and establishing a strong recruiting base and helping to fill the Vault on a nightly basis would matter.  I also know that in the business of college basketball winning matters. But let's not forget who the Huskers are as a basketball culture. 7 NCAA tournaments in the history of the program and zero wins in the tournament. Is it possible there are unrealistic expectations. If you make it to the dance this year your current coach will gotten you to the NCAA tournament 25% of the time, while running a very clean program.

6 minutes ago, HuskerND said:

My offense was to HB simply ignoring the issue and focusing on grammar. To me that shows a level of short-sightedness that is reserved for internet chat boards rather than being solution-oriented.

It might be that some posters on here are very cautious around people who haven't had their kidneys checked yet.

7 minutes ago, HuskerND said:

I understand and respect that, but let's not lose sight of the bigger Topic at hand here.  I will simply refer to him as Dr. Tom going forward, I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool Husker fan but I certainly know of his legacy at that University. If not for Coach Miles I would follow the Huskers as I do today.

In the corrupt world of college basketball I would hope that running a Clean Program and establishing a strong recruiting base and helping to fill the Vault on a nightly basis would matter.  I also know that in the business of college basketball winning matters. But let's not forget who the Huskers are as a basketball culture. 7 NCAA tournaments in the history of the program and zero wins in the tournament. Is it possible there are unrealistic expectations. If you make it to the dance this year your current coach will gotten you to the NCAA tournament 25% of the time, while running a very clean program.

I think your last paragraph is fair but I would counter with why do we have to be who we always have been?  I love Miles and the fact that I believe he runs a clean program (it's really hard to make 100% affirmative statements on this subject!) but in my opinion, we would fill the vault regardless of who the coach is.  It's ok to aspire for more and not fall back on the age old, well, "we are Nebraska basketball and we don't deserve nice things".  I hope Miles is the guy and I hope he takes us to the tourney this year and we get that elusive tournament win and then another for good measure so we can hold that over Jaysker fans.  However, if we don't get to the tournament or we do, get bounced in the first game, and Moos still decides to make a change, then so be it.  I'll support the next coach like I did Miles and hope the new Coach elevates the program from where Miles brought it from.  There is no question that Miles has elevated the talent in the program but it's fair to question at this point whether he can get us over the hump.  And just because we've never gotten over the hump, it doesn't mean we should never expect to!

4 hours ago, HuskerND said:

HB:. Typical with these types of boards. You don't care about content or an actual objective discussion, you wato be the grammar police, so you don't have to unviel you lack of depth or scope.

That's fine. This just continues to show the fickle nature of fans.  I love the passion for your alma mater or for whoever you love in college sports. But if you're unable to see through either spelling or punctuation mistakes have an objective discussion you put your stake in the ground as to what's important to you.

I'm going to stick with trying to be objective and seeing the big picture. I also know, if you go to the dance this year your current head coach has 25% of your NCAA tournament appearances yet we should run him out of town because he doesn't know what he's doing.

By the way, for the most part, HB has been a strong supporter for Coach Miles.  He also provides great insight/information to this site.  He has been through the fun, that is Husker basketball, longer than most of the posters have been alive.  So, before you criticize the person, go in through the archives and take a brief look at his body of work.  

As far as his brief take on spelling, once again, if you have been around this board, you will note that there is a lot of good natured ribbing about spelling, use of semi-colons and the like.  It is ongoing and nobody is sacred.  Just saying...

3 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I think your last paragraph is fair but I would counter with why do we have to be who we always have been?  I love Miles and the fact that I believe he runs a clean program (it's really hard to make 100% affirmative statements on this subject!) but in my opinion, we would fill the vault regardless of who the coach is.  It's ok to aspire for more and not fall back on the age old, well, "we are Nebraska basketball and we don't deserve nice things".  I hope Miles is the guy and I hope he takes us to the tourney this year and we get that elusive tournament win and then another for good measure so we can hold that over Jaysker fans.  However, if we don't get to the tournament or we do, get bounced in the first game, and Moos still decides to make a change, then so be it.  I'll support the next coach like I did Miles and hope the new Coach elevates the program from where Miles brought it from.  There is no question that Miles has elevated the talent in the program but it's fair to question at this point whether he can get us over the hump.  And just because we've never gotten over the hump, it doesn't mean we should never expect to!

Fair assessment. I agree with you, you should not have to settle for what you've always been.  I'm just trying to be objective and point out that Rome was not built in a day, and there are very few coaches in Nebrasketball history who had significantly greater success.

I think it is more than fair to question if coach Miles can get Nebraska over the hump.  I think it is significantly unfair to bash him in the manner that many have on this site.  He may have been His Own Worst Enemy getting to the tournament as early as he did in his tenure.  That changed the expectations in what is notoriously a very tough conference.  Expectations should be high, but traditionally the Huskers are not amongst basketball royalty.  I would evidence the fact that last year, if Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan, Ohio State, would have had our resume they would have made the tournament.  Understand where the organization is in the rank-and-file of national basketball and don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The fact that the Huskers were nationally ranked this year and were in the conversation as a possible top 5 seed speaks volumes for where coach Miles is brought the program.  That does not mean there's not work left to do, it just means there's been a significant uptick in the past 7 years.

6 hours ago, HuskerND said:

Nice try.   It's called context.    It wasn't being a spelling policeman on typing "there" instead of "their" (or my favorite one on this board, that I always let slide, "dominate" for "dominant").   When you want to rip on someone as famous as Dr. Tom and misspell his name twice, well, it just had the appearance of being deliberate.  And probably trolling.  And undercutting what you purport to be an "actual objective discussion."    I have plenty of objective discussions on here (3200 up-votes on 4100 posts didn't just fall out of the sky), but I can pick who I have them with.   And something about your post caused me to say, "Nah....."  

Edited by HB