Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

Once you put the name out there, if that person is not hired everyone freaks out and you're labeled multiple different ways. I'm not naive and know that nothing is finalized and there's still a ways to go in the process. I'm sure this person is not the only one we are looking at. However, there seems to be mutual interest which shocked me.

My sources are in no way tied to UNL, but to the coach. So they would have no reason to care or talk about the possibility of this person coming to UNL. They were somewhat shocked initially to hear this, however when you think of the possible connections, Nebraska's facilities, and the money we are able to throw at the coach and the program you can kind of start to talk yourself into it being possible.

I just wanted to let people know that it looks like Moos is not settling for someone like TJ Otzelberger, or at least until he's turned down by one of the hottest names out there right now. That name, as shocking to me as it was when I heard it, seems to have mutual interest from what I'm hearing.

30 minutes ago, SkerBall said:

Once you put the name out there, if that person is not hired everyone freaks out and you're labeled multiple different ways. I'm not naive and know that nothing is finalized and there's still a ways to go in the process. I'm sure this person is not the only one we are looking at. However, there seems to be mutual interest which shocked me.

My sources are in no way tied to UNL, but to the coach. So they would have no reason to care or talk about the possibility of this person coming to UNL. They were somewhat shocked initially to hear this, however when you think of the possible connections, Nebraska's facilities, and the money we are able to throw at the coach and the program you can kind of start to talk yourself into it being possible.

I just wanted to let people know that it looks like Moos is not settling for someone like TJ Otzelberger, or at least until he's turned down by one of the hottest names out there right now. That name, as shocking to me as it was when I heard it, seems to have mutual interest from what I'm hearing.

This is already going to happen anyway just by speaking up cryptically. There's no real value in saying "hey, he's looking for someone really good!" if you're concerned at all about getting "labelled". You walked into that trap by bringing it up. If you actually have a decent rumor, just spill the rumor and run your qualifier up the flagpole. "It was X, and it might not happen, but that's who I hear he's gunning for". If it's X, you look like a genius. If it isn't, hey, you warned everyone. What you've done now is fall into the same pit as half the internet--you look like an attention seeker or troll. Is that really a preferable fate in the labeling department? 

But I suppose the silver lining is you did get the attention and you did advance the thread another page! So that's something. I'm not trying to be mean here, either, by the way. At all. I'm simply suggesting that your logic at withholding this supposed information doesn't strike me as all that sound. 

Edited by tcp

Here is the deal...number one, Tim Miles is our coach and will be cheered on by me until the day he is not the coach.  There certainly is going to be angst and teeth gnashing due to what has occurred the past month.  But until I hear differently, he is still OUR coach.

Number two, it is naive to think that anyone has communicated directly with any coach.  That isn't what happens in today's world.  Instead, contact is made with a coaches agent or representative.  Any preliminary discussion goes through that individual.  So if there is word on the street of mutual interest or words to that effect, that declaration of interest did not come from a coaches mouth; instead, it would have come from the agent or the representative who then, when appropriate, would float it past the coach.  Given that we still have a coach, and that coach is still under a multi-year contract, I doubt any substantial discussion has taken place.  If anything took place, I surmise it would be Director of Athletics Moos, or one of his minions, contacted an agent (who may represent a number of coaches).  Moos would say something akin to "we have a coach, but things may change at the end of the season; we may be interested in reaching out to Coach A, B and C."  The agent then would reply something akin to, "hey, I will be here and we would be glad to listen to what you have in mind."  Now if the agent represents an unemployed coach, that conversation may have a bit more texture.   To date, since we do not have an opening, any further conversation is unlikely.  Also, if another coach is under contract, I believe it is appropriate (or maybe even required) to receive permission from the school to talk to the coach.  Do you believe any school would allow you to talk to a coach, who is under contract, while the season is active? 

5 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Gary Sharp mentioned Tony Bennett being possibly interested in the UCLA gig. If that's who you've been hearing, I'll bet all my donuts against all your dollars that doesn't happen.

I don't know how good of a coach he would be, but I bet Tony Bennett could crush singing the National Anthem.

21 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I actually kind of enjoy this part.  Hell last time I believe someone knew a guy who knew a guy who knew this guy named Jesus who said this guy named John Wooden was interested.

You're close, but it's not John Wooden.  We are trying to hire Jesus.  Heal the lepers?  Small change.  Make the blind see?  Yeah, yeah. yeah.  Walk on water?  Big deal.  Feed the five thousand?  It's called catering.  Raise Lazurus from the dead?  An EKG machine can do that.  Resurrect yourself after three days?  Well, I suppose that's an accomplishment.  But win an NCAA Tournament game at Nebraska?  Now that, that would be impressive.

(Sorry for the sacrilege...)

Well I decided to peruse the Minnesota message board (Gopherhole) and someone started a thread on January 9th about Pitino getting fired and his possible replacements and it is 20 pages long. This thread started January 26th and is on its 21st page so we have that going for us. On a side note, one of the posters even said Miles would be a possible candidate if Gophers send Pitino packing and Nebraska does same with Miles.

10 minutes ago, rr52 said:

Well I decided to peruse the Minnesota message board (Gopherhole) and someone started a thread on January 9th about Pitino getting fired and his possible replacements and it is 20 pages long. This thread started January 26th and is on its 21st page so we have that going for us. On a side note, one of the posters even said Miles would be a possible candidate if Gophers send Pitino packing and Nebraska does same with Miles.

Gophers still have a good shot at the tourney. Pitino's not dead yet. 

On 2/15/2019 at 12:44 PM, SkerBall said:

The names I hear most talked about is Musselman. 

That being said, I was told from a source(not named Barnes) that Hoiberg isn’t an option, this person is close to Hoiberg.) Then the list goes from there.  I’d be shocked if it was a true “mid major” guy like we’ve done in the past.  

*Im happy we’ve found ways to win the last two.  Beyond how the season has unfolded, parts of the last 6 years all wrapped in to one.  I don’t think Miles stays here regardless.  I don’t think he’s very happy with his situation and even before the season started, especially after that Norlander Parrish Podcast her either be let go or he’d parlay this season with a new gig.  My source, he just isn’t happy.

Edited by lanigan123

3 hours ago, lanigan123 said:

The names I hear most talked about is Musselman. 

That being said, I was told from a source(not named Barnes) that Hoiberg isn’t an option, this person is close to Hoiberg.) Then the list goes from there.  I’d be shocked if it was a true “mid major” guy like we’ve done in the past.  

*Im happy we’ve found ways to win the last two.  Beyond how the season has unfolded, parts of the last 6 years all wrapped in to one.  I don’t think Miles stays here regardless.  I don’t think he’s very happy with his situation and even before the season started, especially after that Norlander Parrish Podcast her either be let go or he’d parlay this season with a new gig.  My source, he just isn’t happy.

My source says yours is full of shit.