Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

After briefly perusing the above list of coaches to watch, I fail to see any "wow" factor here that would make me excited about a hire unless one would come with an elite, 6'11 center attached. In other words, I would rather go with Miles and the recruits he already has than randomly hiring any of these guys because of their potential ability to build a team at this level. Moos had better have an established name ready to take over or it won't work, and that doesn't include assistants at Illinois or head coaches at South Dakota State. How about Danny Manning,anyone?

8 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

After briefly perusing the above list of coaches to watch, I fail to see any "wow" factor here that would make me excited about a hire unless one would come with an elite, 6'11 center attached. In other words, I would rather go with Miles and the recruits he already has than randomly hiring any of these guys because of their potential ability to build a team at this level. Moos had better have an established name ready to take over or it won't work, and that doesn't include assistants at Illinois or head coaches at South Dakota State. How about Danny Manning,anyone?

Oh Jimmy, that was sarcasm about Manning, right?   2-8 and 9-13 and he's likely to get fired.  

10 minutes ago, tcp said:

Don't forget our old friends in Columbia...:)

With Martin being from St Louis area guessing he will use there as his recruiting footprint.  Heck, right now they are not really in a whole lot better off than we are.  Their upside is better given how young they are and that the Porter family seems to have had a huge litter of basketball players.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

They really left him twisting in the wind a bit the  last time on his contract extension and in some regards that's reflected in his $350,000.

They'd really have to crater or he'd have to really want to be by family and he's really want to be paid more because he's not going to have a better basketball setup than he has at Maryland where you're up to you eyeballs in good area players and no one really tracking where all that Under Armor money goes.

No doubt Turgeon does get good players, but he hardly has the area on lock down.  It seems he lands the overrated local players and misses on the superstars.  It really frustrates a lot of the base.  Also, Under Armour/Maryland is nothing like Nike/Oregon.  Maryland's fundraising base had surprisingly withered over the years (the Washington Post ran a really good article on this issue 6 months after it joined the BIG), and the AD was heavily in debt when Maryland joined the BIG.  The stability at the top of the AD has been problematic recently as well.  Further, the handling of DJ Durkin has led to some unrest within the AD.  

I am not trying to suggest Turgeon is looking around.  I just am providing reasons why he would listen, and the likelihood of Maryland letting him go.  Nebraska would have to be the aggressor as I doubt Maryland will fire Turgeon at this time.  I do know that Maryland was very unhappy with Turgeon last year and would have considered cutting ties had Maryland endured an "average" season this year like what happened in 2017-2018.     

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That's me wondering how Diamond Stone ended up there in a 'surprising recruiting flip'

Where there's smoke... https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bs-sp-maryland-basketball-fbi-subpoenas-0706-story.html

Granted, no actual charges yet, but also interesting that the assistant who recruited Bruno Fernando (and Silvio De Sousa) to Maryland -- a younger guy getting a name as a pretty great recruiter -- decided to leave fairly quickly in between these subpoenas being issued. He, of course, was the replacement to Dalonte Hill of $400K-a-year-at-K-State fame, which I have no doubt was reflective of his skills as a coach and not a slush fund whatsoever (who decided to leave that kind of paycheck voluntarily and take a pay cut to join a bright mind like Turgeon).

1 hour ago, DOATHLON said:

I like Turgeon and believe he is on the actual list. I think Bruce Weber is as well. I like my pipe dream  list better but both of those guys can win at Nebraska

We could do a lot worse, winning is all that matters but it would be nice to have someone that actually plays an exciting brand of basketball.  Weber does not fit that mold IMO. 

Sort of an aside...a number of years ago, the Iowa State AD approached Michigan head coach Johnny Orr to ask him who he would would recommend as a possible head coach for the Cyclones.  The AD was taken aback when Johnny recommended himself.  

That memory sort of crept into my mind when looking at our possible coaching search.  You never know who may be available until you search and/or ask.  Just saying...

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Sort of an aside...a number of years ago, the Iowa State AD approached Michigan head coach Johnny Orr to ask him who he would would recommend as a possible head coach for the Cyclones.  The AD was taken aback when Johnny recommended himself.  

That memory sort of crept into my mind when looking at our possible coaching search.  You never know who may be available until you search and/or ask.  Just saying...

A job recruiting tactic nowadays...I hired my last manager that way. Asked her for her recommendations and she said “I’m interested” let’s ask Roy!

6 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Johnny Orr recommended himself only after he asked how much Iowa State was paying;  and it was a lot more than Michigan was, even after Orr had taken Michigan to the national finals.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/nebraska-a-d-bill-moos-gives-husker-coach-tim-miles/article_425a0458-a062-5f8f-8ffc-6eafbf0cfee9.html

Miles said on Tuesday, Moos told the coaches not to worry. He was there for them.

“He said he’s gotta make a decision after the year on what to do, retention is certainly an option, and he wanted us to know, ‘Don’t listen to any noise out there,’” Miles told The World-Herald.

Check Twitter or message boards and Miles is considered a dead man walking after this year’s collapse from 11-2 to 13-11. So that encouragement from Moos out of the blue, amid this losing streak, energized Miles, he said.

“I think at his heart, Bill is a coaches (A.D.), and he loves the locker room, he loves the interaction with the people, it’s what he’s best at,” Miles said. “It felt great. It was a nice boost of energy. Everyone had a little more hop in their step after.”

3 hours ago, lanigan123 said:

Im confused at the thought of him.  Didn’t win enough in Champagne.  

That's what a lot of Kansas St's fan base probably thought right up until he made the Elite 8.

The guy who didn't win enough at a basketball school is about our best case scenario in a coaching change

35 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/nebraska-a-d-bill-moos-gives-husker-coach-tim-miles/article_425a0458-a062-5f8f-8ffc-6eafbf0cfee9.html

Miles said on Tuesday, Moos told the coaches not to worry. He was there for them.

“He said he’s gotta make a decision after the year on what to do, retention is certainly an option, and he wanted us to know, ‘Don’t listen to any noise out there,’” Miles told The World-Herald.

Check Twitter or message boards and Miles is considered a dead man walking after this year’s collapse from 11-2 to 13-11. So that encouragement from Moos out of the blue, amid this losing streak, energized Miles, he said.

“I think at his heart, Bill is a coaches (A.D.), and he loves the locker room, he loves the interaction with the people, it’s what he’s best at,” Miles said. “It felt great. It was a nice boost of energy. Everyone had a little more hop in their step after.”

Well let's hop right into a 3 game winning streak and get our name back in the hat for dancing contention.

25 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That's what a lot of Kansas St's fan base probably thought right up until he made the Elite 8.

The guy who didn't win enough at a basketball school is about our best case scenario in a coaching change

It seems that previously fired coaches can still be valuable to other schools:

https://sports.yahoo.com/forde-minutes-8-college-hoops-coaches-turned-around-getting-axe-215642247.html

24 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

On March 17, 1983, in the first round of the Mideast Regional of the NCAA Tournament, 11th seeded Ohio Universty beat 6th seeded Illinois State by a score of 51-49, in the then 52-team format.

This remains the only win in the NCAA Tournament by a Nebraska head basketball coach, accounting for games coached before, during, and after coaching Nebraska.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

It seems that previously fired coaches can still be valuable to other schools:

https://sports.yahoo.com/forde-minutes-8-college-hoops-coaches-turned-around-getting-axe-215642247.html

Chris Jan’s would be an interesting candidate. Especially for the ones that think Greg Marshall is an option