Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

There's no possible way... is there?

If he wants to be near his dad I could see it. Someone like him has seen first hand what’s possible at Nebraska, and the fan support in a way someone who has never coached against Nebraska has not. It may not be as crazy as it sounds. He’s a midwestern guy and may want to get back to the midwest

Just now, SkerBall said:

If he wants to be near his dad I could see it. Someone like him has seen first hand what’s possible at Nebraska, and the fan support in a way someone who has never coached against Nebraska has not. It may not be as crazy as it sounds. He’s a midwestern guy and may want to get back to the midwest

Interesting spin on the Nebraska perspective.  I didn't even think about that!

The Athletic's 30 coaches to watch: (Dustin Dopirek, who covers Indiana, Butler and Purdue for The Athletic, messaged me that Otzelberger would be the best fit)

1. Ryan Ayers, Notre Dame assistant coach

2. Patrick Beilein, LeMoyne College head coach

3. Jamion Christian, Siena head coach

4. Adam Cohen, Stanford associate head coach

5. Chris Crutchfield, Oklahoma associate head coach

6. Jake Diebler, Vanderbilt assistant coach

7. Baker Dunleavy, Quinnipiac head coach

8. Dana Ford, Missouri State head coach

9. Chester Frazier, Kansas State assistant coach

10. Earl Grant, College of Charleston head coach

11. Jason Hart, Southern California assistant coach

12. Justin Hutson, Fresno State head coach

13. Martin Ingelsby, Delaware head coach

14. Stan Johnson, Marquette associate head coach

15. Pat Kelsey, Winthrop head coach

16. Andre LaFleur, UNLV assistant coach

17. Erik Martin, West Virginia assistant coach

18. Brian Michaelson, Gonzaga assistant coach

19. Bryan Mullins, Loyola-Chicago associate head coach

20. Luke Murray, Louisville assistant coach

21. Kyle Neptune, Villanova assistant coach

22. Nate Oats, Buffalo head coach

23. Ryan Odom, UMBC head coach

24. T.J. Otzelberger, South Dakota State head coach

25. Ron Sanchez, Charlotte head coach

26. Jon Scheyer, Duke associate head coach

27. Damon Stoudamire, Pacific head coach

28. Dedrique Taylor, Cal State Fullerton head coach

29. Jamall Walker, Illinois assistant coach

30. Luke Yaklich, Michigan assistant coach

13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

There's no possible way... is there?

My in-laws worked in the Maryland AD for years and are still very connected.  The general view is that people like Turgeon but feel Maryland is deserving of a “better” coach. It reminds me of the relationship Mark Richt had with Georgia. If Nebraska were to offer, Maryland would not exactly fight to keep him. However, I have no clue as to Turgeon’s interest. 

On another note, a close friend of mine has a very close connection with Duke and shared the following. Evidently, once a year the Duke alumni newsletter examines the current basketball coaching staff during the season and identifies specific schools where each assistant coach could become a HC. The January 2019 newsletter listed Nebraska as one of five schools were Jon Scheyer could land as HC. At the time of publication, Miles had the team playing well; and the newsletter noted Scheyer to Nebraska would only occur if Miles was fired while, alternatively, the other schools were already on the brink of a coaching transition. The newsletter does not indicate whether Coach K had any input but these projections are not based on idle speculation. 

12 minutes ago, Donkey said:

The general view is that people like Turgeon but feel Maryland is deserving of a “better” coach. It reminds me of the relationship Mark Richt had with Georgia. If Nebraska were to offer, Maryland would not exactly fight to keep him. However, I have no clue as to Turgeon’s interest.

Probably as much as Mark Richt's interest in going back to his home state of Nebraska.

12 minutes ago, Donkey said:

My in-laws worked in the Maryland AD for years and are still very connected.  The general view is that people like Turgeon but feel Maryland is deserving of a “better” coach. It reminds me of the relationship Mark Richt had with Georgia. If Nebraska were to offer, Maryland would not exactly fight to keep him. However, I have no clue as to Turgeon’s interest. 

On another note, a close friend of mine has a very close connection with Duke and shared the following. Evidently, once a year the Duke alumni newsletter examines the current basketball coaching staff during the season and identifies specific schools where each assistant coach could become a HC. The January 2019 newsletter listed Nebraska as one of five schools were Jon Scheyer could land as HC. At the time of publication, Miles had the team playing well; and the newsletter noted Scheyer to Nebraska would only occur if Miles was fired while, alternatively, the other schools were already on the brink of a coaching transition. The newsletter does not indicate whether Coach K had any input but these projections are not based on idle speculation. 

Interesting and from the outside, a good analogy. That name is quite intriguing to me.

The Turgeon name came from someone I consider very credible who thinks Moose has him at the top of his list.

As detailed above, Turgeon isn't disliked at Maryland but he isn't beloved, either. He's been there long enough where it might be time to think about moving on, depending how this season ends.

His family is in Nebraska (Lincoln) - playing ball at KU - familiarity with NU and how he went WAY out of his way last week at the presser to praise Miles and Nebraska has me thinking there's a little smoke to it.

Also, according to the person who told me this, Nebraska could easily pay more than Maryland could and the UNL athletic department is in much better shape than Maryland currently is.

Again, I don't think this happens. But I think there ARE some wings to it.

43 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

The Turgeon name came from someone I consider very credible who thinks Moose has him at the top of his list.

As detailed above, Turgeon isn't disliked at Maryland but he isn't beloved, either. He's been there long enough where it might be time to think about moving on, depending how this season ends.

His family is in Nebraska (Lincoln) - playing ball at KU - familiarity with NU and how he went WAY out of his way last week at the presser to praise Miles and Nebraska has me thinking there's a little smoke to it.

Also, according to the person who told me this, Nebraska could easily pay more than Maryland could and the UNL athletic department is in much better shape than Maryland currently is.

It may not happen, but stranger things have happened.  This is also interesting because there is a connection here as Moos was AD for Oregon starting in 1995, while Mark was assistant for the Ducks.  This would be a fantastic hire. 

14 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

that recruiting base is such a big deal for this state. weak high school participation in a low population state is toxic. Add to that we have a jesuit hoops school competitor in the largest city making it even harder. 

So much of our inability to build comes down to that. I still assume that this is the single biggest deterrent to getting a good coach here. You almost have to recruit like a football coach--without the football resources--to be successful at NU. 

4 hours ago, hhcdave said:

No, I’m not about to ask my parents to see if they can find out anything, but they sit right next to his parents at the Women’s games.   

7 hours ago, tcp said:

that recruiting base is such a big deal for this state. weak high school participation in a low population state is toxic. Add to that we have a jesuit hoops school competitor in the largest city making it even harder. 

So much of our inability to build comes down to that. I still assume that this is the single biggest deterrent to getting a good coach here. You almost have to recruit like a football coach--without the football resources--to be successful at NU. 

Agree with this, thinking whomever is coach here needs to pluck kids from the KC metro given the distance.  KU and KSU can't take them all can they?

10 hours ago, jayschool said:

The Athletic's 30 coaches to watch: (Dustin Dopirek, who covers Indiana, Butler and Purdue for The Athletic, messaged me that Otzelberger would be the best fit)

1. Ryan Ayers, Notre Dame assistant coach

2. Patrick Beilein, LeMoyne College head coach

3. Jamion Christian, Siena head coach

4. Adam Cohen, Stanford associate head coach

5. Chris Crutchfield, Oklahoma associate head coach

6. Jake Diebler, Vanderbilt assistant coach

7. Baker Dunleavy, Quinnipiac head coach

8. Dana Ford, Missouri State head coach

9. Chester Frazier, Kansas State assistant coach

10. Earl Grant, College of Charleston head coach

11. Jason Hart, Southern California assistant coach

12. Justin Hutson, Fresno State head coach

13. Martin Ingelsby, Delaware head coach

14. Stan Johnson, Marquette associate head coach

15. Pat Kelsey, Winthrop head coach

16. Andre LaFleur, UNLV assistant coach

17. Erik Martin, West Virginia assistant coach

18. Brian Michaelson, Gonzaga assistant coach

19. Bryan Mullins, Loyola-Chicago associate head coach

20. Luke Murray, Louisville assistant coach

21. Kyle Neptune, Villanova assistant coach

22. Nate Oats, Buffalo head coach

23. Ryan Odom, UMBC head coach

24. T.J. Otzelberger, South Dakota State head coach

25. Ron Sanchez, Charlotte head coach

26. Jon Scheyer, Duke associate head coach

27. Damon Stoudamire, Pacific head coach

28. Dedrique Taylor, Cal State Fullerton head coach

29. Jamall Walker, Illinois assistant coach

30. Luke Yaklich, Michigan assistant coach

If we did decide to go with Otzelberger at least we can continue the trend of our coach having a great friendship with McDermott. (sarcasm)

8 hours ago, hhcdave said:

They really left him twisting in the wind a bit the  last time on his contract extension and in some regards that's reflected in his $350,000.

They'd really have to crater or he'd have to really want to be by family and he's really want to be paid more because he's not going to have a better basketball setup than he has at Maryland where you're up to you eyeballs in good area players and no one really tracking where all that Under Armor money goes.